5.0 out of 5 stars Does it all!
Published on January 17, 2012 by Keith Badowski

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Deal with this company
DON'T DEAL WITH VCT Electronics!! I am being trough Amazon for over 10 years, never had such a bad experience....I bought this unit about a week before my trip overseas, it was a gift for my mom, taken it out of the box and.....it did not work! How embarrassing!
Published on February 20, 2012 by Bill Dellwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it all!, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic RX-D50 - 4 Speaker CD AM/FM Radio Cassette Recorder Boombox with MP3 Player and Music Port 110V/220V Dual Voltage for Worldwide Use - Remote Included (Electronics)
The Music Port allows you to port in an MP3 player. All you need to do is purchase a cord that has headphone jack pins on either end. I love the fact that I can listen to tapes, CDs, MP3 CDs, the radio, and my MP3 player. The sound quality is great and the boombox comes with a remote control, so I can mute or adjust the volume from the dinner table should it get too loud or should we need to say grace before the meal. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wall of Sound for such a compact unit, December 27, 2011
Jio (Renton, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This four speaker system produces a wall of sound for such a compact unit . . . . and for those Old Schoolers who still have casette tapes, PERFECT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Deal with this company, February 20, 2012
I contacted VCT Electronics and requested to return the unit, but to my surprise I been told to contact Panasonic directly due to the fact that it was over 14 days from time of Purchase, explaining them that I was not in the US during this time was ignored completely. This unit was for use overseas, I have no need for it and wanted my money back.
I will pursue this refund trough my CC company but feel obligation to let people know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic RX-D50 Radio, February 5, 2012
Verna M. Hailey (Anaheim Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I like my new Panasonic radio very much. The size is convenient. The styling is elegant and fits well with my decor. The sound is excellent for being a portable radio. It has everything I would want to play be it a CD, tape, FM or AM radio. The radio was well packed and arrived in perfect condition. The manual is easy to understand. The delivery quick and to my post office box. The post master had no problem holding the radio for my pick up. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Appears to be a good value "IF" you can get it to turn on., March 25, 2012
My first ever review on a product. I'd give it 5 stars except for one problem.
I took it out of the box and it looked well made. Size and weight is easy to take along. I've never had a problem with any Panasonic product and that really was what led me to this product, along with a fair price and all the basic features I wanted. Then...
I plugged in the AC and it wouldn't turn on. I took out my voltage tester and the outlet and AC chord were energized. The adjustable voltage switch on the bottom had the arrow pointing to the correct (USA) voltage and was sealed with a sticker stating so.
I'm very patient and didn't want to hassle returning the unit. I put in batteries and the DC worked fine. Don't ask me how I sat there for over 2 hours tinkering with this thing but I did and nothing worked.
I did notice that the adjustable voltage screw had scratches on it, like someone didn't use a good fitting screwdriver or couldn't see the slot (it's in a well) and just spun the screwdriver and scratched up the screw. I decided to play with it. I turned it in small increments starting from the left. At one point I pressed the on switch and it came on. I turned it over to test but the display wouldn't work. It played a CD and the radio worked but the display would only flash symbols twice after pressing a button and then was blank.
I don't know why it had power but the display was still failing. I tried turning the voltage screw again and after several tries I found the sweet spot! Both AC and display worked!
I fully tested both AC and DC and even bumped it around a bit to see if it would fail again.
The adjustable voltage screw turns snugly so I don't "THINK" it will move again and cause a bad AC connection. So I'm going to take a chance and not return it. It has a 1 year warranty (have to check that again ?) so that should be enough time if it's going to fail. Besides, I just visited here and can see the unit is not available now.
Not sure what's up with that voltage screw. Seems to me this could happen often unless there's something wrong under the screw. Having the universal voltage feature is nice but I doubt I'll ever dare turning that screw again if I did want to take it overseas. Sorry to bore you with my fix.
As for the unit, I do like it. Panasonic has always been good to me. I own their V10 54" Plasma, two 42" plasma's for the kids, Blu-ray, Vintage turntable and VCR to DVD recording unit. It has nice sound with the separate tweeters. You can adjust the bass and treble and it has a "surround" sound feature and several EQ settings that sounds good. I bought this mainly for work. I work in electrical rooms and I think this will work well for what I need it for. If I take it home I can use it while working in the yard. Like any plastic product I'd keep it in the shade or at least cover it if it's hot out. Better yet, if no shade then just don't use it. The CD's don't like heat anyway.
I nearly bought the big Sony 700 boombox based on how it should sound with it's subwoofer but lugging 20 lbs around isn't what I need with all the other tools I carry. Also, I was surprised at the short battery life the Sony has. Powering that woofer while on CD or radio just eats batteries. Even without the woofer on it still drains batteries. The Panasonic is supposed to run about 9 hours on AM/FM and 6 hours on CD. 8 C batteries. Much better than the Sony.
Hope this was useful to you.

UPDATE: The CD player is mal-functioning. It gets "stuck" at different times and rapidly repeats that part of a song. I have no idea what causes this other than the lazer beam is malfunctioning.
It has a one year warranty. I'm taking it to an authorized Panasonic repair shop and hope they can fix it or replace it. The need for repair brought up an issue I'd like to share.
This product was assumed new in the box when I opened it. Funny how the voltage adjustment screw was scratched up, along with a couple of small blemishes on the display face. What really bothered me was there was NO registration card or warranty card/info in the box, ONLY the owners manual. I called VCT and they said the paperwork should be in the box and they couldn't help me get another warranty card. Luckily, after almost two hours on the phone, Panasonic was able to register my product and give info on where to have warranty work done.
It's my opinion that I received a previously purchased unit that wasn't repaired correctly. I believe it was re-packaged and the original owner didn't put the warranty/registration card back in the box. VCT then re-sold it to me as a new product, not as a "refurbished" product. VCT of course denies that but it certainly explains the missing paperwork and cosmetic damage I noticed. The scratched up adjustment screw also suggests someone had trouble making this product operate as it should. I've bought a lot of products in my life and never once had a missing registration card or any damage right out of the box.
Right or wrong, I'll never purchase through VCT again. Just my two cents.

UPDATE REGARDING THE SELLER: VCT ELECTRONICS. My authorized Panasonic repair store said they cannot perform warranty work because VCT sold me a EUROPEAN MODEL. The repair store said this is illegal but Panasonic has no control over vendors. I'm sure VCT knows what they sold me at the time but they did it anyways. Now that more than 90 days has passed since the sale, I have no protection with Amazon's "A-Z guarantee" either. Now I understand why my product had no registration/warranty paperwork enclosed. It's been re-packaged and sold as new.
So I have a defective product with a voided warranty. VCT Electronics has no concern for your consumers rights and also violated Amazon's buyer/seller policy.
If you took the time to read this then I hope you'll consider buying this product from anyone but VCT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this purchase, May 12, 2012
I've been thinking about this purchase for a few months but was hesitant because of only a few reviews here, a couple who had trouble with the unit. But my old Sony Cd player would only play certain Cds after several tries and adjustments to it. My favorite Cd that I play every day was the most difficult to adjust and it would just make a clicking noise until I fiddled with the lid several times. So I stopped even switching Cds in the Sony player. I finally got up the nerve to purchase this player when I saw another vendor selling it for slightly less shipping. I had to go pick it up at the UPS office as I was not home and the vendor specified that only an adult could sign for it. So today I unpacked it. The first Cd I played was the Cd that would not play in the Sony player and the very first time it played beautifully, and I can't believe the sound quality! I've listened to this Cd hundreds of times and never even heard some of these sounds. It is truly amazing to me. It was already set to the 120v so I didn't have to adjust it at all. I thought the price was a bit high at first, but now I feel that it's definitely worth the price and I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good boom box, November 3, 2012
law prof (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The Amazon user reviews of the boom boxes widely sold in this country were discouraging, and Panasonic is no longer offering any traditional boom box here. But we needed a quality boom box to play language tapes and classical music on cd. So I was delighted to find this dual voltage model on amazon, even though it is fairly expensive. The fm tuner is much more sensitive than the tuner on a vintage, high-quality Sony we borrowed from a friend while waiting for this product to come. The sound quality is impressive, both in clarity and tonal quality. The box is well designed and constructed. Apparently, Indonesia builds solid electronics. We are very pleased with the product. We bought ours from Bombay electronics and it initially did not play when we plugged it in. So we turned over the box, inserted a flat-headed screwdriver and turned the voltage screw to 110 voltage. It took no more than a minute to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars High priced but a great unit:, August 2, 2012
I received this unit yesterday and so far, it works great, but, once again China has put their very dangerous plug, the one that won't stay all on the way in the wall socket, on this unit. Later, I might try to replace it with a proper one, but, for now, I am using an 3-prong adapter which by spreading the prongs a little, makes for a tighter fit. This unit is over-priced, but, here on Amazon I found the cheapest one. I wanted this unit for the ability to play MP3 CDs as I didn't want to use my DVD player to do this. I saw that there were quite a few problems with smaller units breaking down while playing these type of CDs which is why I tried this one. Most of the CDs are non-musical, comedies from the radio days so I wasn't too concerned about the bass/treble adjustments, but I was very surprised when I put one a R & R Cd from the 50's, not only was the sound great, but the stereo separation is fantastic! The volume seems to be very loud, but I haven't cranked it up too high, so I don't know if it will compete with the ear-blasters that the young people have. I haven't tried the cassette recorder, nor the radio yet, as that is at the bottom of my list of things to do. Some people have had a problem with the voltage adjustment; I just took a chance and plugged it in. Already set for America. I don't plan on using the batteries, but, it is a good option if we have a long power outage, which is getting more and more normal nowadays. If this unit stands up and only time will tell, I think that I made the right decision to purchase this. +JMJ+ A post-script: I found a cord from something that I threw away and I cut the end down as it didn't fit into the unit as it was, and now it works and I eliminated the cord, it's adapter with it's dangerous plug and the adapter that I put on it; saves me the work from cutting off that useless plug later on. If you have a portable DVD player or lap-top, you could use this unit for speakers, plus, you can use the earphone outlet to plug into a CD-Recorder if you have one. Another problem that I came across last night that bugs me: I was playing a MP3 CD when I hit the open door button. I couldn't get back into the track that I was listening to and I now have to start all over again. I hope that this doesn't happen again, especially when I am near the end of the album, as we are talking about a couple of hours of play-back. It should be set-up as a DVD player that starts up where you left it or at least to find the track again. +JMJ+

4.0 out of 5 stars RX-D50, July 9, 2012
Not easy to find a quality boombox with good remote, ability to play regular CDs, Mp3 CDs, cassettes, and input for connecting Mp3 players, but this one fits the bill. The price tag was higher than I had hoped for, but there weren't any better options so I got it. The overall quality appears quite good and seems like something that should last a while. Controls are pretty intuitive and easy to access on the player as well as on the remote. Sound quality is very good for this size unit - not big on the bass end, but certainly not tinny. Bottom Line: If you can handle the price, it's a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars meets every need and fits into space great!, December 30, 2012
We were looking for a unit that played all mediums from MP3 all the way down to cassette.
This was the only one we could find but it is just what we wanted. The sound quality is very good and it fits into our space nicely. We ordered another one for our lake home as well. Thank you Panasonic and amazon!