5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great Once You Get It Set Up Right
Published on June 3, 2012 by Bob Feeser

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but too many limitations
Published on August 28, 2012 by sjw

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great Once You Get It Set Up Right, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic SC-BTT195 Energy Star 5.1-Channel 1000-Watt Full HD 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System with Tall Boy Speakers (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been an audio phi for quite some time and I wanted to spend some time with this system before I wrote a review on it. I'm glad I did because now it is my pet system; I get a special joy out of using it. Let me explain. When I first took it out of the box and saw these gleaming piano black finish towers for a smaller reasonably priced all in one system it was noteworthy. Then I hooked it up. Looking back it is an easy setup; everything is color coded so you just plug the proper wire with the color coded end into the correct speaker. I was disappointed in that the front two towers had speaker wire that was only at best 8 to 10 feet each which gave you very little allowance for hiding the wires. That is not a serious problem at all since the wire ends are just bare wire and can be added onto very easily. I just thought with the cost of this thin wire they would have supplied a longer length than that. The other wires were plenty long.

At first I was going to hook it up to a large high def LCD monitor and couldn't get it to work. So I took it into the room with the 46" high def TV and it worked instantly. When I first turned it on to play it the sound was very nice. It was room filling but uneventful. So then I started tweaking and it made all the difference in the world. First you need to go into "Sound" on the convenient "Home" menu on your TV screen projected by the BTT195 and change it from the factory default of "Flat" to "Heavy". Flat is flat and that is what I was experiencing. However it is only fair to say that most people prefer flat. I want to get more excited than that. So once you set it to "Heavy" you see the typical inverted bell shaped curve with maxing the boost at both ends, the treble and bass, with a gradual slope down toward the center from both ends to flat in the middle. (Boosted mid's typically provide a boxy type of sound so it is best to leave them flat) This is all automatically set that way just by choosing "Heavy" in the sound menu onscreen.

Ok now we have boomy bass, and crispy highs although without a tweeter in any of the front towers instead they give you a full range speaker the highs are not as crispy as a more expensive system with dedicated tweeter speakers. However the highs are fine, and sound great depending on the quality of the original sound source. If it was mixed with crispy highs that is what you get, if it was an orchestra recording with distant microphone picking up the sound the highs are of course a bit more muted. Tweeters/combo speakers are in the center channel according to the literature but center channels are mixed mostly all for voice.

Since I like the maximum amount of boom in my bass I took the sub-woofer cabinet and played with positioning. It is amazing the difference positioning makes to a sub. You have to try it in the room you are going to use it in because there are many factors affecting positioning, but generally speaking if possible place the sub about a foot or two away from a corner, and swivel this side projecting sub speaker until you feel/hear the maximum bass. The towers should be aiming right at you since treble travels in straight lines. This system has adjustments for each of the speakers so you can balance the room. I took the sub and maxed out the gain for that as well, and that is probably why when I leave the room and have some music on I can hear it rocking the entire house. The bass is louder in the next room even more so than it is in the room the speakers are in. This thing rocks.

Installation tips: When assembling the base to the first section of speaker tower, loosen the 4 screws in the metal plate which makes aligning the 2 screws that hold the tower on a lot easier. If you don't do it that way you risk forcing the screw and stripping the thread. (This is a universal mechanical principle: Loosen, or start all screws first before tightening any one of them so alignment of each additional screw doesn't become an issue. After you get them all started then go back and tighten them all up) the job goes faster that way too.

My first impression was that this thing looks like a receiver but it is not. Then as I got my mind out of conventional old world receieverdom, I began to realize that yes it is. However it does only give you one HDMI out as well as some types of inputs such as Optical Digital Audio Input which I hooked up right out the TV so the audio was in synch on playback, a single pair of RCA aux input jacks, as well as some strictly more modern features. For example you can access your network DLNA to connect to your Windows Media Player library. So if you have a zillion songs on a hard drive on a computer in your network you can access them and play them through the BTT195. In addition if you want to plug in a USB device (I tried the iPod shuffle and it worked great) as well as a USB external hard drive you can access your audio and video media directly through it as well. In addition to the USB input on the front panel it also has an SDHC card input reader built in so you can take for example your 32 Gig SDHC card with all of your music on it and play it back through this system without any outbound devices showing; the SDHC card buries itself in the unit. The other model which has a list price of an additional 25% over this one is the Panasonic SC-BTT490 3D Blu-Ray Disc 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater System has a second HDMI input, says the wattage is a little more but doesn't show it in the specs on the Panasonic site, at least not for any individual speaker, but has a downward firing sub-woofer of the same 6 1/2" size. The one on these 195's fires out the side.

I wanted to have all of the speakers on at the same time. In addition to this Panasonic system, I wanted to be able to use the built in TV speakers but found there was an echo as in a delay so the timing wouldn't allow it. I have to play with that some more to see if the sound source output can be contrived to eliminate that. However with just this system playing in the room it makes TV time a pleasure something I am delighted to experience. This is not supposed to compete with systems that one tower speaker costs more than the whole system, but rather provide a truly great buy for the money. To have a Blu Ray player, a receiver, 5 speaker cabinets including a center channel, two fancy piano gloss black 4 foot tall towers, two rear surround cubes, and a sub-woofer with the latest in technological connectivity, all in one package for this price and sound as good as it does you can't beat it. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Video Review of the Panasonic SC-BTT 195 Home Theatre System, May 27, 2012
Length:: 8:15 Mins

I will admit that I had to change my review of this home theatre system. At first, I struggled mightily to connect the audio from Tivo Premier to flow through the Panasonic BTT195. Finally, I realized that I could use the Smart-Select feature on LG TV to auto-select the audio. Sounds easy enough, but it caused me a few hours of frustration.

Now on to the review-

Blu-Ray Player - I have been impressed with the functionality of the Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray player. This is the second one that I have owned, and I have found the functionality and capability to be excellent. The load times are not exceptional, but all of the features of the Blu Ray are very solid.

Home Theatre Capability - The sound of the system is acceptable, as long as you are not expecting to blow down any doors. The main unit is only about 1 1/2 thick, so it does not offer an assortment of large capacitors that can store energy for massive bass. The speakers have integrated and color coordinated plugs, so set-up can be accomplished by anyone (although getting correctly synced with a DVR is a bit of a different story). The power ratings on the unit look impressive, but keep in mind that it rating everything at 3Ohms.

Speakers - In truth, the speakers are not very impressive. All of the speakers combined weigh less than a decent subwoofer. I will say that they do match well together, and as a set they sound much better than they do individually.

Other things

- The speaker wires have integrated plugs - which means using other speakers can be a pain. This is especially true of the subwoofer since the speaker wire goes directly into the speaker box and does not connect through a terminal (My solution, when I used my own Velodyne subwoofer I simply cut the speaker wire about 3" before it entered into the Panasonic amp).

- Does offer iPod inputs and has the ability to read SD memory cards

- Comes with a plethora of well designed apps (it is amazing how many companies create a poor YouTube app!). Included are Amazon, Hulu Plus, MLB.TV, and Netflix

Final Verdict - The Panasonic BTT195 is a nice Blu Ray player that offers a decent home theatre system. While it may not offer the boom of more expensive systems, it is also a fraction of the cost. My opinion, if you are looking for earth shattering audio....keep on looking, but if you are looking a easy to use home theatre system at a reasonable cost this is certainly worthy of you consideration.

4 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System, June 22, 2012
Sound is very good, but the features are what really sell it. Although the interface can be a little clunky, the ability to watch amazon video and use pandora without plugging in a computer is great. Also first thing you should do after buying this system is get the App. Not only does the app give you quick access to volume and arrow keys, it also gives you a full duplicate of the actual remote AND quick control over the audio settings like base level and equalizer. This was very impressive and works great.

Something else that I never saw mentioned anywhere is once the system is hooked up to your network it is recognized as a "Renderer." This means that if you have a Windows PC (Windows 7 for me, not sure about Macs) you can right click on a music file or video file and click play to > SC-BTT195 then it will play through your surround system... Very cool. This also works with mobile devices, but you will have to download an app to do so.

Overall, we use it like crazy and we love it. Great buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but too many limitations, August 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For a Blu-Ray, 3D, 5.1 Home Theater System, in this price range (275 to 325), there are dozens of options here on Amazon alone. Several of the others provide more inputs, some have a higher output wattage, and some have the same features but cost less. So why buy this one? The only thing that stands out are the "tallboy" speakers, which are really just normal speakers that connect to a tall, hollow, plastic pillar, which connects to a plastic platform. That may be important to some, but if you can place your front-side speakers on a shelf, or table, or some other platform, then you may be better off with one of the other products, which will either give you more for your money, or will give you the same for less.

Like a couple other reviewers, mine was also missing the center speaker wire. I read one commenter who wrote that the center speaker wire is taped inside one of the recesses in a piece of Styrofoam, but after a thorough search, I'm certain mine wasn't in the box. I've sent an email to Panasonic customer service, so we'll see how that turns out.

I won't rate the audio quality, since I'm only able to run it without a center channel, but that does bring up an issue that caused me to immediately remove a full star: speaker wires with proprietary plugs. I'll never buy any audio system with that kind of set up; it imposes too many limitations, and if one breaks, you either have to put up with it, or pay an exorbitant price to replace the broken parts, or take it as a loss & buy a whole new system. That's a lot riding on a few small pieces of cheap plastic.. And if this one had terminals with spring clips or binding posts, I could easily be using my own speaker wire to connect the center speaker. But it requires the integrated, proprietary plug, so I can't use it until Panasonic sends a replacement, which could take weeks, or maybe they'll just refuse to send one at all.

Video quality is about what I'd expected for a system in this price range: decent, adequate - no pluses or minuses.

If you buy the proprietary wireless adapter for 40+ dollars, or string a network cable to your router, you can connect to streaming services (Netflix, You Tube, etc.), view Blu-Ray Live content, and access media on a networked PC. All of those things are pretty much standard on most Blu-Ray player & many other devices, so there's nothing special here. There are some limitations to note, though: for images, you can only view JPEG or MPO (I had to look that one up - never came across an MPO image before), and from what I've read in the data sheets & booklets, some audio & video formats can only be read from specific media, for example: you can view MP4 files via a USB connection, but not from a CD, DVD, or SD card; you're limited to *only* JPEG, MPO, and MPEG2 on an SD card; no MPEG2 via USB; to view BD-live content, you are required to insert either an SD Card or USB flash drive, with at least 1GB of free space.

Without even considering the missing parts, I'd give this 3 out of 5 stars. It's OK for the price, and it delivers what it advertises, but with so many limitations, and so much competition, it's just not anything special. If I were in the market for this type of product in the 275-325 price range, this wouldn't even be a consideration, for all of the reasons listed, and then some. However, if I were buying one as a gift for someone who has very few technological needs, I may put this on my list (but it would be dropped from the list the instant I found one that uses standard audio terminals!).

4.0 out of 5 stars to get tv sound from this unit speakers, need hdmi 1.4 and up, June 24, 2012
I see all of the great reviews but I'm having trouble getting the tv sound from this unit speakers. I bought both Panasonic TC-L42E50 tv (2012 model) and this Blu Ray Home Theater Sound System two weeks ago. The audio for DVDs and Blu Ray movies are great, but I can not get the tv program sound to come out of the speakers. Of course, the Panasonic Support is only open during the week, even the live chat, and I haven't been able to get in touch with them. I know I am techie-challenged, so please help me and post your insight on this site. Thank you! Perhaps there are somebody else like me can read it and appreciate your input as well.

update: I discovered that my hdmi cable was 1.3 and therefore I did not get ARC working. Now I hooked up new cable 1.4 from amazon.com and and all is working great. I feel that it should be stated on the manual or tv or this home theater unit programing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Mackeral!, June 15, 2012
Megeath (Santa Fe NM) - See all my reviews
First we got an awesome television, Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT30 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV. This TV blew our old rear projection TV out the door. (Luckily my brother took the rear projection tv off our hands.) The picture is amazing, the sound okay. Well you know how it goes, upgrade one thing, everything else looks a little old/outdated. With an awesome picture, we decided we needed awesome sound!

This is the perfect home theater system for our 20 x 16 living room. Battle scene in Lord of the Rings, you're in it! Cool sound effects in a tv show, it wraps around you. A thunderclap send all the animals scurrying for cover. Rich rumbles and tiny bells, you can hear it all...plus dialogue!

Couple of tricks to setting up, make sure the HDMI cable from the Blue Ray DVD Player goes into the HDMI ARC terminal (on our TV it's HDMI 1), set the DVD players' Ext-In to ARC (audio return channel which sends the signal from the TV to the DVD player), and for our TV, make sure the audio setting for HDMI 1 is set to digital.

There's a lot more I'm sure it will do as we explore it, but for now...oh man I'm missing the movie...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for your buck, August 7, 2012
Panasonic did a great job with the sound quality,I was very shock! It was very clear and plus all the features with internet and IPod.The only thing is I wish for was more audio and hdmi plugs,other than that,the system was worth every penny.If your looking for nice solid sound that good for a small to medium room, but for a large room ,than the system need to upgrade the subwoofer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear perfect sound & great 3D conversion, June 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had this home theater unit for a little while now and I have to say how happy I am with it. Installation was simple: we just followed the instruction book inside and had the whole unit setup in our place in about 15min. Unlike some of the other reviews we do not have any issues with wires being too short, and in fact it looks like we have room to go a little bit further. The main difference between our setup and the suggested setup, within the book, is that we have hung all of our speakers including the front ones. The reason why we decided to hang them is because we have a cat and don't wish her to play around with wires or damage the speakers. I am in love with the fact that the two front speakers can be taken apart with the ability to either stand them or hang them.

These little speakers pack a big punch. Do not be fooled with the size of these speakers for we get clear sound quality and can even feel the vibration of the sub woofer on the floor. It doesn't matter if we are watching a DVD, Netflix, or something on my SD card the sound has been perfect and the same all around.

Picture quality and conversion has just been astounding! We have 47inLG 3D Smart TV and we have to say WOW when we watch 3D movies. Before we were just watching regular movies and switching them to 3D via our TV but now we get to convert 2D to 3D via our blu ray player and I have say how happy we are. The pictures are clear and the pop-out really makes you feel like you are watching it in the movie theater. The only difference between a real 3D movie and to convert 2D to 3D is that the pop-out is a little less but the picture quality is just beautiful. We have noticed that in some movies the talking words and lip words will be slightly off when we convert to 2D to 3D but we consider this to be a slight flaw that we are happy to live with.

Also comes packed full of extras: apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus. The ability to connect your ipod and sd card just makes it even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, but not quite, January 13, 2013
I purchased this system when it was on sale for $200. I would probably not purchase it for $400 as I think there are better systems out there for this amount. For $200 though, it was worth it. Here are a few details from my experience, although I've only had it for about a week.

Installation/setup- Extremely easy. Everything was very well packed to make sure it arrived in pristine condition. Make sure you pay attention when opening as the cord for the center speaker is tucked away in one of the styrofoam pieces. I've read reviews where people accidentally threw it away and realized too late it was there.
Everything is color coded and therefore extremely easy. The manual even recommends putting on labels (provided) so you know right and left, not that it matters all that much. It took around half an hour to open everything and set it up. It could have been faster, but as I said earlier there is a lot of packing material.

Sound setup- The nice thing about this system is the platform they use to change your sound settings, the current input, and testing the system. It basically looks like a bunch of apps with additional menus to customize it to your liking. The default is "flat" all things are equal, but from what I've read a lot like "heavy", bass driven.

Sound quality- As expected for me. Realize you're not purchasing a Bose system, so don't expect anything near that level. But this has the possibility to shake the walls and improve your movie soundtracks after a few adjustments.

Negatives: It is "wireless ready" if you're willing to shell out an additional $50 for the wireless adapter. Some of the reviews say the adapter is worthless where others think it is a must buy. For my purposes, I'll just stick with the system for now.

Only one HDMI connection. They could have added 1 or 2 more to make things easier on the customer.

Because of the connections, you cannot add to this system. In other words, you're stuck with everything you see, for better or worse.

Overall: Worth the $200 price tag I paid for it. There are faults with it, but only enough for a one star deduction and I knew about them going in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for the price, November 10, 2012
Sophic (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
Decent system for the price. Movie sound is quite acceptable for this price point, music not so much. I'm pushing music to the TV from my computer via an Apple TV unit, so it may not be the speakers' fault. There are a couple downsides to this gear, in my opinion - (1) plugging speakers into your DVD player can take some getting used to, especially when it comes time to find sound to go with your cable TV signal or gaming unit; and (2) Panasonic's online menus are hands down the least intuitive that I've ever experienced. I gave up on them quickly and fell back on using my Apple TV unit to reach Pandora and Netflix.