5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great Once You Get It Set Up Right
I have been an audio phi for quite some time and I wanted to spend some time with this system before I wrote a review on it. I'm glad I did because now it is my pet system; I get a special joy out of using it. Let me explain. When I first took it out of the box and saw these gleaming piano black finish towers for a smaller reasonably priced all in one system it was...
Published on June 3, 2012 by Bob Feeser

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but too many limitations
For a Blu-Ray, 3D, 5.1 Home Theater System, in this price range (275 to 325), there are dozens of options here on Amazon alone. Several of the others provide more inputs, some have a higher output wattage, and some have the same features but cost less. So why buy this one? The only thing that stands out are the "tallboy" speakers, which are really just normal speakers...
Published on August 28, 2012 by sjw

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Audio Delay is really annoying, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic SC-BTT195 Energy Star 5.1-Channel 1000-Watt Full HD 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System with Tall Boy Speakers (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I've owned a Panasonic plasma (TC-P50G15) since 2009 and wanted to enhance my living room by indulging myself with a 5.1 setup. I got this on sale and thought it would work well with my Panasonic plasma with VieraLink. Boy was I wrong.

First off; I think VieraLink is a joke. Although it should be a painless process to easily connect and control both devices, I have found it to be nothing but a pain in the butt. For starters, it took me a LOT of tweaking just to get the two devices (TV & HT) to cooperate properly. I followed the instructions of both devices to the letter, too.

Now that they're hooked up properly, I now get the lovely "feature" of having the HT hijack my TV and switch my video input to the HT every time the HT starts up. So, lets say I want to play a game on my Xbox? Well, I need to turn everything on. Then, wait a few seconds for my HT to switch my TV's input and then manually change it back. EVERY TIME. I called Panasonic about this, and they told me that I would need to completely disable ALL the VieraLink features to get it to stop doing this. But, by completely disabling VieraLink, I now can't get my TV to output audio over Digital Out to my HT in 5.1.....absolutely brilliant. So I either get 5.1 Digital Out, but have my inputs hijacked, or I don't get the 5.1 experience.

I wish I could say that this was my biggest complaint, but it's not. I can somewhat overcome the previous problem using a smart universal remote (though I don't think a smart remote should be required to do so), but I can't use that to fix the audio lag.

Most of you won't have an issue with audio lag. LCD TV's show the video with a few milliseconds of delay, which would probably sync up fine with this unit. However, since my TV is plasma, I have almost no delay on the video and my TV is much quicker than the home theater system. Everything I watch now sounds late. It's really annoying watching shows or playing video games and hearing the audio coming out later than it should. I have spent hours checking the settings of my TV and my HT without any luck. I have set the audio delay to "0" and "Auto" on the HT, but it's still late. My TV doesn't have any way to delay the signal, so I'm stuck listening to things later than my video.

I am currently waiting for a response from Panasonic on how I might be able to solve the issues I wrote about it my review, but I'm not optimistic of a solution. If this review isn't updated at a later point, assume that the problems were not overcome and I have sold/returned the unit.

(3/20/13 Update)
I got an email back from Panasonic which gave me instructions to reset my home theater back to factory settings. The email was extremely minimal and this "solution" didn't help at all. I wrote them again, informing them that this didn't address the issue I wrote about. They replied again, telling me to look at page 33 of my manual, which covers audio delay settings.

I already knew about this. As I told them (and wrote in my review), even when set to "0", the delay is significantly later than my video. After dealing with Panasonic's support team via email, I am now even more dissatisfied than I was before.

In summary, I have not been able to get the audio in-sync with my plasma TV and Panasonic has been unhelpful in finding a solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the all-in-one type user, September 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After having two all-in-one disc/tuner/surround sound systems prior to this you can say that I'm a fan of
simplicity. I've talked with family and friends that have more traditional multi-component systems and
there is no comparison to the setup and ease of use that an all in one system provides you. Unless you
are a skilled and patient audiophile, you won't find better sound quality from a more separated system.
The addition of a fiber optic input, this system has it all.

Set up took almost no time at all since the mounting screws from my previous system worked perfectly
with the new system. While the proprietary plugs used for the speaker connection make replacing
the included speakers a problem, it is vastly outweighed by the speed of set up. Everything is color
coded, the plugs can only be connected one way (avoiding the reversed polarity) and the cable lengths
are more than sufficient for any conventionally sized living room. As this is a network ready unit, not
wireless, network set up was as easy as running another CAT5 from the router to the system. The only
other setup was to select a few preferences based on your TV and optional media needs. This is a trial
and error that is dependent on your experience and the brand of your other equipment. It only took me
ten minutes and three tries to get it to the optimum for my unit.

The speakers themselves are very light, but give a decent quality sound for normal movie viewing. I
seldom need to take the volume over the 20-30% mark and can hear most conversational dialogue
easily. So far I've set it to the 3D Cinema Surround and while it is as good as the better surround
sound systems I've listened to, there is no discernible difference from normal surround sound to my
uneducated ears.

This is the first 3D system I've owned and I'm very happy with it. After the initial trial and error with the
set up to get my TV to be recognized as a 3D unit, the play back was a snap and the quality is on par with
theater quality. The system recognizes and shifts for the different discs it can play (DVD, Blu-ray, and 3D
Blu-ray).

The optional inputs are nice, but lack some of the more wanted aspects. The DLNA capabilities are
great, but unless you are willing to set up a dedicated computer without a firewall, you'll need to be
a networking guru to get it working. The iPod connection is nice and has the added benefit of being a
charger as well. However you are limited to the very basic functions of your device whether it be a iPod
Nano or an iPad you will only be able to play back your music content. I was not able to get my podcasts
or any of my video content to be played. This and the exclusion of internal wireless networking would
have to be the only reasons keeping this unit from a 5 star review.

2.0 out of 5 stars get something else., September 17, 2013
I initially reviewed this system and gave it three stars. After using it for several weeks, I've decided to revise my review and take a star away.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're thinking about buying this, please take my advice and BUY SOMETHING ELSE. This thing sucks. The more I use it, the more I hate it. You probably will too.

Why? Plenty of reasons:

1.) The default setting upon power-up is the blu ray player and there's no way of changing it. If you're planning on using this thing in conjunction with your cable box, be prepared to power it on, switch inputs on your tv and manually change it to the Aux output... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you turn this thing on... "big deal" you say. "I'm just going to leave it on 24/7." nope. you're not. why? because...

2.) This thing shuts itself off / goes in to stand-by mode after about 10 minutes if there's no detectable audio and guess what? There's absolutely no way to disable this feature. This will be especially frustrating for people like me who use it to listen to music or have a DVR. If your album is done or you pause a tv show to go to the bathroom / let the dog out / take a phone call you have about 10 minutes to do what you need to do before this thing shuts itself off... and if it shuts itself off, you need to go through complaint one all over again. Speaking of using this thing to listen to music...

3.) The EQ on this thing is PATHETIC. It can't be customized AT ALL. You're stuck with a whopping FOUR factory settings (Soft, Clear, Flat and Heavy) AND THEY ALL SOUND LIKE CRAP. You probably won't notice so much while watching movies or TV, but if you're listening to music, it'll make you cringe. To make matters worse, the only way to change / adjust or experiment (if you can call it that) with the EQ is to go back to the home screen and go in to the audio settings. Why is this a problem? Well... because when you go to the homescreen, the audio you're trying to fix is gone. Good luck adjusting your EQ or your speaker settings without being able to, uh, hear anything. Absolutely IDIOTIC. You can make some adjustments to the speakers themselves (but good luck with that, because unless you know alot about EQ'ing speakers, you'll be completely lost since nothing in the sad exuse for a manual address this)but it's it's a time consuming and tedious process to say the least. You have to make an adjustment, exit the audio screen, go back to the desired imput and repeat and repeat and repeat if you need to make more adjustments.

4.) There are no extra audio / video ins on this thing nor is there a headphone jack so if you have anything else you'd like to hook up to this thing (in my case, a record player) you're either 1.) SOL or 2.) you need to jimmy rig a connection. more than likely you'll have to purchase a RCA splitter / selector box. not only does this require you to spend additional money, but it creates another step in getting this thing to function the way you want it.

5.) The cables are extremely short. I don't have a large living room and i still needed to splice in about 4 feet of cable to make one of the speakers reach. Not a huge problem for me, but for someone that isn't tech savvy, you'll need help. There's also the matter of buying extra speaker cable.

My old surround sound system, which was much cheaper and much older than this, was much nicer and had way more features / options.

Seriously... spend your money elsewhere. This thing sucks.

The only reason it's getting 2 stars instead of 1 is because the blu-ray player works well.

3.0 out of 5 stars great sound, but disappointing in other ways, December 4, 2013
The blu-ray player in this device is low quality as I get very grainy picture on my brand new out of the box 60" plasma. Only certain movies play in exceptional quality and its sporadic at best. Also the subwoofer crackles out of the box at action movie explosions etc which is often for my type of viewing..Also the main menu always reverts to the input which the blu ray is assigned and doesnt auto recognize other outputs that are in use which is annoying, and the remotes are easy to screw up and reset back to the main blu ray menu

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear perfect sound & great 3D conversion, June 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had this home theater unit for a little while now and I have to say how happy I am with it. Installation was simple: we just followed the instruction book inside and had the whole unit setup in our place in about 15min. Unlike some of the other reviews we do not have any issues with wires being too short, and in fact it looks like we have room to go a little bit further. The main difference between our setup and the suggested setup, within the book, is that we have hung all of our speakers including the front ones. The reason why we decided to hang them is because we have a cat and don't wish her to play around with wires or damage the speakers. I am in love with the fact that the two front speakers can be taken apart with the ability to either stand them or hang them.

These little speakers pack a big punch. Do not be fooled with the size of these speakers for we get clear sound quality and can even feel the vibration of the sub woofer on the floor. It doesn't matter if we are watching a DVD, Netflix, or something on my SD card the sound has been perfect and the same all around.

Picture quality and conversion has just been astounding! We have 47inLG 3D Smart TV and we have to say WOW when we watch 3D movies. Before we were just watching regular movies and switching them to 3D via our TV but now we get to convert 2D to 3D via our blu ray player and I have say how happy we are. The pictures are clear and the pop-out really makes you feel like you are watching it in the movie theater. The only difference between a real 3D movie and to convert 2D to 3D is that the pop-out is a little less but the picture quality is just beautiful. We have noticed that in some movies the talking words and lip words will be slightly off when we convert to 2D to 3D but we consider this to be a slight flaw that we are happy to live with.

Also comes packed full of extras: apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus. The ability to connect your ipod and sd card just makes it even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, July 7, 2012
My hubby purchased it and we love it! Everything we were expecting and more. Sound is clear and great. Great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for the price, November 10, 2012
Sophic (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
Decent system for the price. Movie sound is quite acceptable for this price point, music not so much. I'm pushing music to the TV from my computer via an Apple TV unit, so it may not be the speakers' fault. There are a couple downsides to this gear, in my opinion - (1) plugging speakers into your DVD player can take some getting used to, especially when it comes time to find sound to go with your cable TV signal or gaming unit; and (2) Panasonic's online menus are hands down the least intuitive that I've ever experienced. I gave up on them quickly and fell back on using my Apple TV unit to reach Pandora and Netflix.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a real review I wish I had when I bought this thing...ENJOY, January 14, 2013
I usually don't leave reviews but had to here because I was pretty skeptical on buying this system with all the mixed reviews it gets, so bare with me if it's long, I'll try to be fun and to the point. So I went out and bought it from best buy anyway figuring if I didn't like it, I had 30 days to return it and here's my review on it and I hope this helps some of you looking for a good home theater system and don't wanna pay a boat load of money for one. 1st I'd like to start by saying some people are less techy than others and I get that, but ignorance is a whole other story. To the people who take it back because the center speaker doesn't work, LOL. To the idiots that buy powered subwoofers and more speakers and recievers, LOL at you all too. You must have your tv in an auditorium with 40' cathedral ceilings..You need concert speakers for that nonsense not a home theater system, not to mention if your spending the money for all that add on nonsense, why not just build a system from the ground up?!? LOL at you too. To the people who don't think it has enough apps and options, It has plenty if you dig into it and LOOK and if those still aren't enough, then buy a laptop or use the one you have and run an HDMI cord from it to the TV cause it's the best you're gonna get without a smart TV...LOL at you too. Also to those of you who have it in a room and it's not loud enough for you, you have it hooked up wrong. So for all of those reviews I received from you people, I'm actually kind of mad at you. That being said, I wish someone gave a review on the true proper way to hook it up, It's cool I had to figure this out myself as only one nice review that I read had a brief hookup instruction but left out a few parts and I'll get to that in a moment. So with all this in mind, wires wires, there are many wires. you want no wires? You gotta spend some more money, simple as that. The fronts are short but long enough so that they should take care of ANYONE'S needs except for the few freakish people that wanna drag there front speakers to bed with them or whatever random stuff they do with the front speakers that they shouldn't be doing anyway. They're long enough...The rear speaker wires are about 25' or so considering I have it run down a 15' wall on one side then down about a 10' wall on the other side to the system. If you need to add more just buy some speaker wire and splice as they are plug in speakers but so what, who can't snip some wire and splice? but 25' should be sufficient enough. Now onto the quality of the speakers. So they're made of this shiny plastic. Personally, I like them, they have a decorative ring around them that makes them look attractive and appealing. So what they're a hard plastic, what system isn't nowadays? The subwoofer may be on the lite side however it delivers more bass than I know what to do with as I don't have to turn it up like I thought I would have by some of your other reviews. There's so much that it sounds like it's self powered. So in my house, this system does blow down the doors. It's setup correctly with the sub cornered to rock the walls and it's in an open living room with hardwood floors and it rocks the entire house. I mean sound shoots all over the place like my head will follow bullets passing by, it's that intense. SO LET'S TAKE IT TO THAT CENTER SPEAKER ISSUE. People, this is a TRUE SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM. You can adjust (2) 2.1 Channel settings. You can make it so the center speaker works with the 2 fronts and the subwoofer, or you can make it so the 2 fronts work with the 2 backs and the subwoofer and NOT the center speaker. There is so much stuff on tv that isn't going to be offered in dolby digital and whatnot, It's all basically "In Stereo" therefore you have to adjust the 2.1 Channel that is right for you. You can even go into the system and turn up the decibel volume to get louder sound out of each individual speaker if one isn't loud enough for you or whatever. So for those of you who just took it back, LOL at you for not even reading the instructions. (Which mind you is like 43 pages long with options.) As for the Bluray, all speakers will be on with 3D sound working and literally blowing you back in your seat. I never have to go to a movie theater again to experience what it has to offer with this system setup the way it is setup in my house. My gripe with this system and why I gave it 4 stars is because of the lack in tweeters. Although it's very clear and loud, it's missing some highs. Plenty of mid and bass but sometimes I find at lower volumes I miss some words because basically it turns into a deep mid sound but then I'll switch the 2.1 channel if I'm watching TV to the front speakers and center and find it helps a bit. There is also a whispering mode that allows you to enhance the surround at low volumes specifically for late night viewing which I find kind of cool but still could use some highs. Also the fact it only has 1 HDMI port and probably hard to connect a gaming system to it, plus a cable box without having to buy an adapter would probably help some of you but hey It's cheap enough to overlook that a bit..So one last thing and I'll briefly get to the setup, but you have to know my experience at best buy when I bought this. So Obviously I'm on like a $300-$500 budget on a system because I told the guy this when I wanted to hear the system in the store. He then tells me I could build a better system and then starts rattling off about powered subwoofers and reciever prices and i'm like "whoa guy, bang for my buck i'm looking for, not a million dollar freak show" So he proceeds to operate it. Well needless to say it can only be operated by remote control, so don't lose that, and he didn't have it and it wasn't hooked up to a TV, so he throws in a Pink Floyd CD, now in this gigantic store and I'm guessing because of that, the CD sounded real weak, so I asked him to turn it up and I still wasn't super impressed. So then I asked him if he had any rap or something with Vocals and bass and he said "Maybe on the other side of the store I can find one in the car stereo side" So I said "please as this will be my deal breaker" Lo and behold he comes back with one and allows me to control the volume, so hearing what I just heard from pink floyd, I decide to crank the volume up to 100. Well it was bumpin hard with NO POPPING in the store with WIDE OPEN ceilings and HUMONGOUS open space and the guy say's (wow, I didn't know it sounded like that, I'm actually impressed) So I stick my ear to the center speaker and of course that was off as well as the two backs weren't plugged in either so It was just the sub and the fronts and It sounded good enough in the store that I took it home knowing if it was as bad as some of you said it was, I could just return it. Well I have 3 HD Tv's and this is now my 3rd surround system and currently my best system yet and I will not be returning this whatsoever. So lastly I want to tell you all what you'll need and where to plug it. At 1st I just plugged in the cables to the ports I wanted and when trying to set it up, it sounded weird, tinny and just not right, so then I read you have to plug in the HDMI from the reciever to the Port 1 HDMI (DVI) slot on the TV and then plug your optical cable from your cable box to the reciever as well and you'll be bangin in no time. There is about a 2 day learning curve on the system and you'll need to buy the optical cable and HDMI 1.4. I read everyone saying 1.4 cable so I just got that and it worked fine, I didn't want to even take a chance with the older one as the 1.4 is like $6 and so is the optical cable. Just for the record my ears hurt from playing with it so much and at my house the system is ROCKIN with the volume between 45-50 depending on what i'm watching and it'll go even higher if I wanted it to. Anyway, hope this helps many of you, I'll be sitting on my couch enjoying the fact that my money went to a well spent investment if you need me, happy viewing all!

1.0 out of 5 stars !!!TRASH!!! Don't waste your money!, September 26, 2014
This system is the absolute worst in electronics. I have never had problems with any electronic devices the way this thing plagues my life. It is extremely slow. It doesn't play the Blue Ray movies like it is supposed to, It wont connect to the network, and if it does, it is only a short time before it drops the connection. I will never buy a Panasonic device ever again in my life. I have had my share of terrible products, but this thing is the absolute worst.

2.0 out of 5 stars Customer service is good but when I said, September 10, 2014
product does not have original box and It was not working with my new 2014 model sony TV, now it's working with digital optical cable not with HDMI and settings every time when you turn on the tv you have do this. Customer service is good but when I said, I want to return, he did not say that you can return. so finally decided to keep it. One more thing this system says 1000w but you can get probable 100w or less.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›