4.0 out of 5 stars Great except for one small issue...
Published on June 1, 2011 by BuhoLoco40

3.0 out of 5 stars Really Trying Hard To Like this Unit
Published on August 6, 2011 by buffdaddy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except for one small issue..., June 1, 2011
BuhoLoco40 (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic SC-HC55 Compact Stereo System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased this, and I think it's a great system. Great sound, and the ability to open the iPod and CD sections with a hand wave is a cool feature. The design is slick, and I like the thin size of it. I've played around with the Internet radio too. Some people will balk at having to buy the vTuner app, but if you're not going to use Internet radio, skip buying it. Of course, if you're not using Internet radio, you may want to look into the SC-HC35, which costs less, and has the same basic function as this unit.

The only real issue I have with this unit is that it seems to be designed for the iPod Touch or the iPhone, as opposed to the iPod Classic. When skipping to the next track, there are times when the system will fast forward about 5 seconds, instead of moving to the next track. This happens about every 5 or 6 tracks.

Aside from that small gripe, this really is a nice system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forward Movement in Technology, July 5, 2011
I was skeptical at first upon purchasing this item based on the reviews here on Amazon. When reading more carefully I found the one out of four reviewers that rated this stereo poorly was based on the customer service of Panasonic, rather than the actual performance of the device.

Just received the stereo today and unwrapped it. It only took me a matter of minutes to pair my iPhone and my iPad to the device. I was previously using the Panasonic SC HC3 Micro system which is designed for iPods only and not iPhones. When I used my phone with that stereo I had a ton of distortion and interference with the speakers to the phone which made the sound unbearable and annoying. Not to discredit the product, it wasn't made for iPhones.

MOTION SENSOR
This stereo however far exceeds its predecessors by leaps and bounds. I love the motion sensor to open and close the iPod/CD sides. I feel like saying "Open Sesame!" I was worried at first that by simply walking by the stereo, it would activate the sensor, but that isn't true. Works seamlessly.

IPHONE COMPATIBILITY
I have a 'speck' case for my iPhone 4 and I was concerned it wouldn't fit in the docking station. I was wrong. The phone fits in the docking station with room to spare WITH my case. However I was unable to connect directly to the stereo due to the limitations of my case. The port connector wasn't big/long enough in the stereo to make a flush connection to my iPhone. This is a fault of my case and not one of the stereo. When I took my case off, my phone played like a charm. No distortion or interference to be had.

BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY
After reading the directions on how to pair my phone and ipad, I successfully paired two separate devices to play music from, including Pandora, which was my main goal/concern. So now as I type, my iPad sits next to me with the stereo across the room easily playing my favorite Pandora station with a clear and loud sound.

INTERNET RADIO
Honestly, I haven't played around with the internet radio yet as I have no need to. I'm sure if that was what I was interested in, the app purchase of 2.99 wouldn't be a problem for me.

DESIGN
The design is sleek and stylish and quite compact. Very classy and eye appealing.

AM/FM STEREO
After setting up the stereo antennae I have to say I didn't have much luck of receiving more than four stations on the FM channel. I live in an apartment in a city, so that may play a role.

Overall I am VERY pleased with my purchase and feel like this was an upgrade well played out!

3.0 out of 5 stars Really Trying Hard To Like this Unit, August 6, 2011
buffdaddy "bearboy" (Chicago, Il. United States) - See all my reviews
First off I'd consider myself a bit of an Audiophile. I was looking for something to replace my Logitech Audio Station which is getting a bit long in the tooth. I was attracted to this unit because of the slick look and bluetooth capability. Setup was easy enough and I was able to sync my Ipad and Ipod touch after reading the directions, no problems. For the most part it has a lot of features that I wish a lot of bookshelf units had like the "magic door", streaming bluetooth and internet radio (via $1.99 app you have to buy from Itunes). The tuner seems to work fine and CD player is very nice as well.

Now for the bad. For some reason I cannot get this unit to sync with my HTC EVO. Don't know if it's only geared for Apple products but I tried my phone and my wife's BB to no avail. Number 2 the sound quality, the high and mids are just outstanding and I would consider it on par with Bose and Soundfreaq units. The bass, well that's another issue. The bass is just OK but not earth shattering even on high settings and the "D bass" sound option seems to muddy everything up. With a unit this thin I knew there would be compromises, but if your a fan of hip hop and like earth shattering bass this in not the unit for you. I wish there was an option to connect a subwoofer but that does not seem to be the case. Maybe because it's wall mountable the unit needs something to reflect bass back?

I'm debating whether to send this back and get something else but I'm going to wait and see if it grows on me. It has a lot going for it but the lack of bass really hurts this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic HC-55, February 4, 2012
This stereo system is a tremendous bargain. The sound is outstanding. I don't crank things up that loud so am not chiefly concerned about power.

Antenna positioning is a great feature, and allows you to tune in AM and FM.

The feature I really love is the bluetooth capability. I now stream Pandora radio to it from computer or from phone.

We weren't really interested in the ipod docking feature, but our daughter gave us her old ipod which had control problems, and we dock it and run it with the Panasonic remote. Works great

We replaced a clunky boom box that had control panel issues.

This unit is without a doubt the best stereo value I have ever had. I grew up through the reel to reel, 45-33.33 rpm records, eight tracks, surround sound speakers, etc. Nothing else comes close for the price.

Some friends were over the other night, I put on Loggins and Messina from Pandors. They were so impressed, they ordered one that night.

I have never been disapointed with a Panasonic product. Can't say the same for Sony, Aiwa, etc.

Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Android devices as well via bluetooth, December 8, 2011
Joplin "rocks" (torrance, CA United States) - See all my reviews
If you have an Android device, you can connect via bluetooth to play music from Panasonic SC-HC55. I was able to establish Bluetooth connection on my Samsung Galaxy s2 and my Asus eee pad transformer. I had this playing side by side with a Bose SoundDock (this Bose has no Bluetooth capability and is about $120 more expensive), the sound quality is not as good as the Bose especially for songs with a lot of bass. But considering it being only half the price of the Bose and it comes with Bluetooth connection, it's a trade off I can live with. Although it's no Bose, the sound quality is still very good. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to get a speaker to play their music library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features and design, January 28, 2012
G. Lara (Brewster, NY USA) - See all my reviews
The Panasonic SC-H55 is a terrific compact stereo system, primarily targeted at users of i-devices, but with features that would appeal to anyone looking for a compact and nicely designed audio system. The particulars of the device are well explained by the description on Amazon and other reviewers, I just want to convey how it'w worked for me, and for my girlfriend, for whom I bought one as well.

My more precise rating, if Amazon allowed it, would be 4.5 stars. The places this unit falls slightly short are radio reception, compatibility and the display. None are deal-breakers.

The 30-pin dock worked well with my iPhone, and with an older iPod Touch, but it seems to not be completely compatible with some 3rd party accessories, in my case a dock extender I bought for my girlfriend's iPad. The extender works on all the other dock devices I've tried it on, but it doesn't work on the SC-H55. An early iPod Nano also wasn't recognized.

Bluetooth is an alternative to using the dock, and both my iPhone 3GS and the girlfriend's iPad 2 paired quickly and reliably. I was unable to pair my Samsung Galaxy Tab via this means though. Of course, there's no telling whether this is the fault of the Samsung or the Panasonic, but wide Bluetooth compatibility may be an issue if you're not primarily a user of Apple devices. All sound-generating applications on my device play via Bluetooth, the music app, Pandora, NPR, etc. Panasonic markets an internet radio app, but based on my reading of the reviews for that, folks are just as well off with the apps they usually use rather than this paid add-on. More often than not, I have my phone plugged into the charger on my kitchen table, sending audio to the SC-H55 12 feet away on the other side of the kitchen; it works great.

Given the right placement of the SC-H55 and its radio antenna, decent reception is possible, but its receiver is not as strong as some stereo devices I've used. If you're in an area with marginal reception to begin with, don't expect this unit to be the answer to your prayers. In the age of internet radio, though, I suspect this isn't as much of an issue for many people.

The blue LED display, while quite legible, conveys only the most basic info about the device's functionality. Don't get me wrong, it does the job, but it won't win any awards in the user interface department.

So besides these minor quibbles, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

The sound is more than adequate, but don't expect to feel the bass in your chest. For casual music listening and spoken word I find the sound to be very good, and though I don't mess around much with the eq settings, they can be useful for getting better sound from particular types of audio.

The form factor is excellent, it is less obtrusive than a toaster or microwave on a kitchen counter, and can be wall mounted with the included hardware to be even less intrusive.

The sliding door works well 90% of the time. When it fails to recognize my hand motion, I just use the button on top or the remote to open it. It remains to be seen how well this door will hold up over time, but there don't seem to be too many moving parts involved, so it will come down to the motor's longevity.

In summary, for the cost, the SC-H55 packs a lot of nice features and good sound. I heartily recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact stereo delivers big, February 12, 2012
Panasonic has done a great job on this series of Compact Stereos. Great sound, great features, incredible values! I was able to audition the HC25, HC30, HC05, and kept the HC55. To me the HC05 & HC55 have the best overall sound quality. I wanted a system with AM/FM radio. I tried to go with the HC05 using the internet radio app/feature, but internet radio still has a ways to go to actually replace a tuner. I listen to a lot of baseball games on AM radio, and I found out that MLB.com blacks out the games on the internet radio. I noticed that NBA does the same. I assume NFL does the same. They all want to you to purchase one of their annual subscriptions. When I compared purchasing the annual subscription to paying more for an AM/FM tuner, it made sense to buy the HC55 with tuner. In addition, I auditioned a comparable unit by Kicker and Altec Lansing. These were very good units too, but in the end, for me, the HC55 offered the best overall sound, features, and value. For those of you who want to "shake the walls" with sound, none of these compact stereos are made for that purpose. They provide good quality sound at moderate levels. The subwoofer performance on the HC05 & HC55 are impressive given their size, but they do have limitations. The only one of the Panasonics that I would not recommend is the HC25. It does offer great features and a great value. I did not care for the overall sound quality compared to the HC30, HC05, and HC55.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, February 6, 2012
I haven't bought a new stereo system in about 12 years. My old one's CD changer ate a disc and now flips out every time I turn it on making it nothing more than a 60lb paper weight on my bookshelf. I was looking for something more modern and lightweight that could hold my iPod and fit on a wall shelf. I wanted something similar to my old one with 5 speakers but I soon learned that they don't make them like they used to! I purchased this new fangled contraption on a gamble and I'm not disappointed! I almost bought the HC35 but then I saw a video of this baby. It's MUCH, much lighter than expected. The design is sleek. The hand-waving feature is cool. I'm no audiophile so it sounds great to me in my bedroom. I wasn't expecting that much power from something this small since I'm so used to having the surround effect with multiple speakers. The remote features are going to take some getting used to. It's so nice not to have to worry about so many extra cords. I plan on mounting this baby when I redecorate. It's worth the extra money over the lesser models in the series. The only con is that they dropped the price a few weeks AFTER I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic SC-HC55 Compact Stereo System, November 2, 2011
We mainly wanted this Stereo System for the radio and apart from one of the Stations, the sound quality is excellent and when playing C.D's the sound quality is "fantastic" which is amazing considering how small and compact it is. We certainly would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic SC-HC55 Compact Stereo System, September 29, 2011
i like the design, bluetooth system, ipad, ipod, etc. connectivity (connected to my armani samsung phone(2007)too) -- all worked fine. when connected by bluetooth some frequencies get lost. i keep my old SONY 5 disk CD player CMT LS1 (2001) which has sensors to open and close the CD door: nice to see that panasonic put it to this system. however the sounds of SC-HC55 do not come close to SONY's sounds(i should say that for the size SONY CMT LS1 is better than a good size Bang & Olufsen shelf box). I paid 600$ for SONY CMT LS 1, at the time it was the best wall system money could buy: so for 155$ Panasonic SC-HC55 looks a very good purchase, mostly because you can connect to your bluetooth devices, ipad, ipod and you can even go old and play CDs.

in all--for about 155$ it is a good wall system for small spaces, but i wish it had better sound quality. still, i will give 5 stars for design, bluetooth, price, internet radio and size.

Rate and Discover Movies