5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing flexibility, serious value.
I've got some experience with soundbars having been an early adopter in them along with the first generation plasma televisions. The thought then was to hide the wires and hang everything on the wall as if it were art - the modus operandi hasn't changed, it's just improved and become much more affordable.

First, the flexibility of this system makes it great for...
Published 18 months ago by soupman

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality but HDMI switching is too slow
Panasonic's SC-HTB770 3.1 Soundbar is attractively priced when considering the following features:

+Sound Quality = Excellent. The audio range has good tonal quality that is more impressive than most of the below $300 competitive products out there
Published 18 months ago by Sibelius

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing flexibility, serious value., June 6, 2013
This review is from: Panasonic SC-HTB770 3.1-Channel Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer (Electronics)

First, the flexibility of this system makes it great for anyone. You can connect the speakers and create a large soundbar you can place on a shelf or hang up on the wall. This is ingenious - it looks great as one piece and you don't have to worry about multiple speakers. Or, you can keep the speakers separate and still either place them on a table or shelf or whatever, or hang them on the wall. So if you prefer the speakers vertical to the left and right of your TV, or if you prefer them horizontal under the TV, you have the freedom to do either with this system.

Next are the features. I found the Dialog settings to be superb. With my previous speaker setup I was always adjusting the volume between quiet monologue scenes and action scenes to hear what was being said. This system adjust everything on the fly automatically so you can hear the dialog without making any other changes.

I connected it right up to my cable box with HDMI and it was done. No complicated wires to hook up, one and done.
The subwoofer included is WIRELESS! That is terrific. I put it behind my seating and it was just perfect.

I tested the Bluetooth feature from my phone - I turned on Pandora and beautiful clear music came instantly through the speakers. Nothing to really setup, it was playing tunes in seconds.

All in all I'm really happy with this system. With the flexible speaker setup, the great features, and the price so low you can't even buy a subwoofer for that kind of money, it's a no brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great soundbar, and how to fix the VIERA Link problem, February 5, 2014
Love this soundbar, and love the TV (we have a Panasonic TC-L50E60 TV). We bought both from Amazon. (And I am a real consumer, and a fussy one at that.)

The reason we got the soundbar is because the online reviews of this particular TV were correct: the sound from this TV's speakers is not that great. But the picture and everything else about the TV is absolutely terrific. See this CNET review of the TV: [...]

Being able to split the speaker bar itself into three separate speaker units (a small horizontal center speaker and two vertical stereo speakers) is perfect for our situation. The wireless sub is a real nice feature, too, and the main control unit fits nicely inside the cabinet. There are no surround speakers, but the stereo sound is full and very good for such a compact system. And with the VIERA Link system that Panasonic equipment uses between devices via an HDMI ARC connecting cable, the soundbar turns on and off with the TV and its remote (though you'll still need to turn the sub on and off manually).

But if you get one of these along with a Panasonic TV, be sure you set up the VIERA Link between the two properly. When we first set everything up, we had a lot of trouble with the VIERA Link failing (even after a few successful uses) so that the soundbar would no longer turn on and off with the TV (and from the other things I saw online, we weren't the only ones who have had problems with VIERA Link). Here's how to hook things up to start with (and after this I'll explain how to complete a relink if the link fails).

Initial setup
1) First, before hooking up the soundbar to the TV, don't do anything in the TV's Setup menu to set up any VIERA Link settings. And BE SURE THE TV IS OFF before connecting the soundbar to the TV.

2) Connect all of the speakers to the soundbar's main unit.

3) Connect the soundbar's power cord to the soundbar's main unit and to your power source.

4) TURN THE MAIN UNIT ON, and then connect an HDMI ARC cable to the main unit's HDMI ARC jack.

5) WITH THE TV STILL OFF (and the soundbar already on), connect the HDMI ARC cable to the HDMI ARC input on the TV. (Note: See the soundbar's owner's manual for the initial setup of the subwoofer. You can manually turn the subwoofer on at this point, or you can wait until the end of this process.)

6) Turn the TV on

7) Press the Menu button on the TV's remote, scroll down to "Setup", and then select "VIERA Link settings." (In the submenu, only "VIERA Link" will be available at this point, and it will be set to "Off", The other 4 settings in the submenu will be grayed out at this point.)

8) Select "VIERA Link" and change "Off" to "On". The other items will no longer be grayed out (except for "Energy saving mode"). You can now change their settings.

9) Change "Power link on" and "Power link off" from "No" to "Yes". "Energy saving mode" will now be available, but leave its setting at "Quick start". And unless you have other Panasonic equipment that use VIERA Link, leave "Unselected device auto off" set to "Off".

10) Press "Return" or "Menu" on the TV's remote a couple of times to get out of the Menu.

11) Press the "APPS" button on the remote. The Apps screen will appear. Scroll over to the "VIERA Link" icon and select it.

12) A small "VIERA Link menu" will appear with "Speaker output" highlighted with "TV" visible to its right.

13) Select "Speaker output" and then select "Home Theater" instead of "TV". Press "OK" on the remote. The sound will not be heard for a few seconds while a "Please wait a moment" message appears, and then the sound will be heard from the soundbar. (Note: If you didn't manually turn the subwoofer on in Step 5, turn it on now.)

Now whenever you turn the TV on or off, the soundbar will also turn on and off.

Quick Fix: If you ever have the experience of not having the soundbar turn on when you turn the TV on, and you just want to quickly use the TV speakers rather than relinking the soundbar, just complete step 11 and then choose "TV" instead of "Home Theater", turn the TV off and then on again, and you'll hear sound from the TV's speakers.

Relinking the soundbar with the TV with VIERA Link if the link fails
If the soundbar does not turn on along with the TV (and this may happen if you experience a power outage, or for no apparent reason at all), you'll need to go thru the following process to relink the soundbar.

A) First do the "Quick Fix" above to change the "Speaker output" setting from "Home Theater" setting to "TV". But LEAVE THE TV ON this time.

B) Press the "Menu" button on the TV's remote, scroll down to "Setup", then select "VIERA Link settings".

C) First change "Power link on" and "Power link off" from "Yes" to "No" ("Energy saving mode" will gray out). Leave "Unselected device auto off" set to "Off". Then change "VIERA Link" from "On" to "Off". All of the other 4 settings will now be grayed out.

D) Turn the TV off.

E) Unplug the HDMI ARC cable from the back of the TV.

F) Unplug the soundbar's power cord from the power source. Unplug the power cable from the back of the soundbar, and unplug the HDMI ARC cable from the soundbar.

E) Now just complete Steps 4 thru 13 above and the link will be restored.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality but HDMI switching is too slow, June 19, 2013
Sibelius (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

+Bluetooth link allows you to easily sync your devices (I use my ipad and iphone on this regularly) wirelessly for audio playback
+The subwoofer is wireless - I appreciated this aspect as it allowed for more placement options
+The soundbar setup provides flexibility - Do you prefer to have 1 long, horizontal bar beneath your TV or would you prefer a vertical left/right setup?
+If you have this bar setup with a Viera-link enabled Panasonic TV, basic audio controls of the display can be controlled with this unit's remote
+Nicely styled. The sub and soundbar are nicely styled and detailed in a monochrome black

There are some functional issues with this product, however, that prevents me from giving it a higher rating:

-HDMI switching is too slow. If you only have 1 input connected this won't be an issue but I utilize all 3 HDMI inputs and switching between each input lasts 5-6 seconds. In total there are 5 inputs you must switch through (bluetooth - TV - hdmi1 - hdmi2 - hdmi3) and switching only goes in 1 direction so the process can be painful when switching through 4 inputs.
-The mini receiver unit has no digital display. This is an issue because the lights on the unit are very small and extremely dim (even in a dark room). So for example, if you need to determine which input the device is set on or which equalization settings its at - I need to walk over and peek at the unit. Would've been nice if the lights were larger/brighter or ideally with a readable digital display that allows you to see the current settings.
-Remote control unit is small and very basic in functionality but the addition of a few more buttons would've been appreciated - particularly fixed inputs - so if i press 'hdmi2' it automatically goes to said input. Also the IR dispersement is very narrow and requires very direct line of sight for commands to be registered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow, what a cool stereo.

I've never had a 3.1ch sound system and have always been little skeptical of getting one because I felt it wouldn't provide me with the immersive sound experience I've come accustom to with 5.1 or, 7.1ch systems. However, after setting everything up in my sons room and watching Cars 2 on Blue-ray, I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. The system was clear and immersive. The Base speaker has plenty of kick and will rumble the chair your sitting in. The Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Virtual Speaker and DTS technologies used in this system do a great job in making the sound feel immersive and life like similar to a 5.1 system. The center speaker sounds great and Dialog is clear and easy to understand.

The system was also a breeze to set up and linked to my 42ich Insignia 'INsync' system without any problems. I also love the fact that you can screw all the speakers together and have a sound bar or, keep them all separate in pedestal or wall mount setups. The speakers look great and are slim and lite making it easy to put almost anywhere.

For the money this system is a great value and I would recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Crippled by weird power issue, November 11, 2013
W. Watson (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this to accompany a new Panasonic Viera TV (which works perfectly). The speakers provide excellent sound and are aesthetically very pleasing. But, whenever the receiver shuts off due to inactivity, you cannot get it to turn on again. I've found a workaround: unplug the receiver from the wall socket and leave unplugged for about 2 minutes. Then plug back in. You should be able to turn the receiver back on.

While this solution works, it's incredibly annoying and obviously unacceptable. Unfortunately for me, I did not notice this until it was too late to return (I'm not the primary user of the TV / speakers).

It's a shame because otherwise the speakers are great.

For the record, I'm connecting to a Panasonic Viera TV via HDMI (ARC), so there should be no compatibility issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, January 8, 2014
I got this soundbar for Christmas and wow, i really wanted to get a home theatre system but i live in an apartment and i didn't want the neighbors to come knocking at my door and either tell me to turn it down or come in and watch the movie with me lol. So after testing a few system i decided to ask santa for this one and i am really really glad i did!!!! The setup is so flexible. Took me about 30 mins to set it up and turn it on, i was trying to figure out if i wanted as 1 piece or 3. I have to say i was already impressed with the audio that the shows are broadcasted on cable. After a few I switched to blu ray (Star Trek: Into Darkness to be exact) and wow it sounded so good, i couldn't not believe it, i have the subwoofer right next to the couch on a corner wall... and my jaw dropped because seriously sounds so good, i love that automatically adjusts music and voice the extra 1 from a 2.1 was well worth it!

I red a bunch of review about switching be a bit slow, i mean i turn on the tv (panasonic viera) and the system starts automatically and it takes about 2 or 3 seconds to get audio nothing too bad or annoying. I've always had panasonic or technics stereos and i guess i am used to it... Also if your tv has an ARC input, use it, is way faster and the system becomes 1:1 with the TV.

I have only 2 small complaint:
1 - They could have put a little display to show when you switching what you are switching to instead of a small series of led that you can barely see it.
2 - If you set it up as a sound bar all in one piece i recommend you to use the higher hole not the lower cause it covers the sensor on the tv. I mean if you use the panasonic TV remote it works fine, but if you're like me and use the cable box to control everything well forget it again unless you set it up a bit higher. I don't know why panasonic didn't think of this, i guess they figured most of the ppl would set it up as 3 separate pieces. Or use only the tv remote lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for small rooms, this is for your home theatre!, September 1, 2013
We love this sound bar and wireless sub! Works great with our projector and the receiver is great as we use that for our "hub" that feeds out one HDMI cable to our projector, which the Onkyo 2.1 couldn't do. The bluetooth on this system works great too. Can't really be more pleased. Tested out all the sound bars at Best Buy and this one by far sounded the best and once we got it hooked up at home we were not let down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design and performance but stability is Sucks, November 8, 2014
Excellent design and performance but stability is worsted than I thought! I bought the Panasonic SC-HTB770S brand new and already started to have power out or Device wouldn't power up after two weeks of excellent services!!!So I unplug the Device(System)for three Minutes to reset! It works fine afterword's but kept introducing new problem like wouldn't detect signal from Cable so what I did unplug all HDMI Cable except HDMI-ARC which one connected to the HDMI-ARC of the Panasonic VT-50 So TV is doing the switching not the Sound bar and didn't experience any problem after that. I didn't experience delay switching that other are complaining!!!And don't even bother to update the Firmware!!!!!it wouldn't install regardless what USB flash Drive/Stick or how you format the Drive!!!Panasonic send me a USB flash Drive[$9.75] with Firmware but it wouldn't detect or install the Firmware at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rated a 4 even after 2 failed units. If only I got one that worked., February 24, 2014
So full disclosure: Both of the SC-HTB770s I bought came from Amazon Warehouse. (Used/refurbished)

After much research, I decided to use this system to augment the underwhelming sound of my Panasonic 50" plasma. This system has plusses and minuses that are described in other reviews. For me, the dialogue boost feature was key, as that was what I had trouble hearing with the original tv speakers.

I also like the bluetooth connection for streaming Pandora from my phone.

Finally "Viera link" was intriguing, so I stuck with the Panasonic brand to get that.

After checking a few reviews of Amazon Warehouse, I decided it was worth a shot to get a "used" unit from here, figuring it would just be a returned item and probably be just fine, but 40% cheaper. ($400 is too much for this item, I paid about $250 which would be a fair price for what you get.)

Now, the results:

Dialogue boost/Sound in general: Pretty good. Dialogue level control definitely did bring out the talking without an overall sound volume increase. In general, the sound is way better than any flat panel tv, certainly adequate for casual music listening, and sufficient for anyone but those looking for audiophile performance from what is essentially a glorified set of computer speakers.

Bluetooth: Some have had issues but my bluetooth devices worked well with it. Sound was a little muted/muddy, not quite as good as a direct line in, but still plenty good for jamming some tunes while you clean house. I found I used that feature a lot.

Viera link- Never worked, but you wouldn't want it to. Supposedly you'd be able to control the unit with your tv remote, which in theory is great, one less remote. But, who is still using the remote that came with their tv? Anyone? Most of us use the remote that our cable box provides. No worries though, as stated before, the AV switching on the unit is so ponderous that you's rather just let your tv handle that and use the "aux" channel of the cable box universal remote to control the sound.

Also, as stated above, menu settings changes and a call to Panasonic (half hour hold to talk to a tech that knew far less about a/v and this unit than I did, they had absolutely no idea what might be wrong.) weren't enough to ever get viera link to work. I can't say if it's the unit or my several-year-old-cheap-black-friday-panasonic-tv.

Other than that, it seemed perfect. The box appeared to have been opened, then the devices set up once, then disassembled and carefully packed back away. It was truly almost untouched, not even finger prints and stuff was all in its original bags. I was worried about buying a return, but this was truly in great shape and I was happy.

So, after a lot of work and trying various setups, I finally had it all set and going. It was great. Then after a week or so in use, the control box wouldn't turn on. Crap.

So I ordered another one, thinking I could just switch control boxes and thus avoid pulling out all the wires and the subwoofer from behind my very-tight, difficult to move a/v display. I found another one on Amazon Warehouse, and though for some reason the price on the second one was now higher. (they were both rated "like new")

Well ok, supply and demand and all that. I was committed, so I paid the higher price and when it got here, it was almost the same story as the first. I only took out the control box, all other parts stayed in the box, but it looked to be in the same great condition as the first, but not packed quite as carefully. No biggie.

After wireless linking with the original subwoofer, which is easy, the unit performed as before. Again I had tv sound, audible dialogue, and a way to make my phone really loud. Cool. All was great- Life was good. For perhaps 2-3 weeks, the unit worked fine.

Then the second box wouldn't turn on, Identical symptom to the first- just wouldn't turn on at command of remote or button. Icing on the cake? The 30 day return window for Warehouse merch ran out *last night*. Jeezus. Anyway, a call to Amazon quickly sorted that out and they issued the return label anyway.

So instead of just saying (because I got a bad item) "THESE SUCK! PANNY SUCKS! NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE CROOKS!" I'm going to just say how I honestly feel-

-It's deserving of 4 stars if it works
-it's a good option for some a/v situations
-fit and finish were good, quality was good
-I still think Amazon warehouse is a safe bet mostly
-Amazon took care of me
-I was probably just unlucky and got 2 bad ones, or possibly since they both died the same way maybe I killed them somehow. Doubtful, but possible.

Bottom line, if mine worked, I'd be happy. Probably won't take a chance on third one at full price, though, due to worries about longevity. If you think $400 is an ok price, go for it. If your unit works you'll love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok for sound, January 7, 2014
Set up is easy. Sounds good, but the Viera Link is very erratic. Doesn't always work with the Panasonic Plasma TV.