Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on June 6, 2013
I've got some experience with soundbars having been an early adopter in them along with the first generation plasma televisions. The thought then was to hide the wires and hang everything on the wall as if it were art - the modus operandi hasn't changed, it's just improved and become much more affordable.

First, the flexibility of this system makes it great for anyone. You can connect the speakers and create a large soundbar you can place on a shelf or hang up on the wall. This is ingenious - it looks great as one piece and you don't have to worry about multiple speakers. Or, you can keep the speakers separate and still either place them on a table or shelf or whatever, or hang them on the wall. So if you prefer the speakers vertical to the left and right of your TV, or if you prefer them horizontal under the TV, you have the freedom to do either with this system.

Next are the features. I found the Dialog settings to be superb. With my previous speaker setup I was always adjusting the volume between quiet monologue scenes and action scenes to hear what was being said. This system adjust everything on the fly automatically so you can hear the dialog without making any other changes.

I connected it right up to my cable box with HDMI and it was done. No complicated wires to hook up, one and done.
The subwoofer included is WIRELESS! That is terrific. I put it behind my seating and it was just perfect.

I tested the Bluetooth feature from my phone - I turned on Pandora and beautiful clear music came instantly through the speakers. Nothing to really setup, it was playing tunes in seconds.

All in all I'm really happy with this system. With the flexible speaker setup, the great features, and the price so low you can't even buy a subwoofer for that kind of money, it's a no brainer.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Panasonic's SC-HTB770 3.1 Soundbar is attractively priced when considering the following features:

+Sound Quality = Excellent. The audio range has good tonal quality that is more impressive than most of the below $300 competitive products out there
+Bluetooth link allows you to easily sync your devices (I use my ipad and iphone on this regularly) wirelessly for audio playback
+The subwoofer is wireless - I appreciated this aspect as it allowed for more placement options
+The soundbar setup provides flexibility - Do you prefer to have 1 long, horizontal bar beneath your TV or would you prefer a vertical left/right setup?
+If you have this bar setup with a Viera-link enabled Panasonic TV, basic audio controls of the display can be controlled with this unit's remote
+Nicely styled. The sub and soundbar are nicely styled and detailed in a monochrome black

There are some functional issues with this product, however, that prevents me from giving it a higher rating:

-HDMI switching is too slow. If you only have 1 input connected this won't be an issue but I utilize all 3 HDMI inputs and switching between each input lasts 5-6 seconds. In total there are 5 inputs you must switch through (bluetooth - TV - hdmi1 - hdmi2 - hdmi3) and switching only goes in 1 direction so the process can be painful when switching through 4 inputs.
-The mini receiver unit has no digital display. This is an issue because the lights on the unit are very small and extremely dim (even in a dark room). So for example, if you need to determine which input the device is set on or which equalization settings its at - I need to walk over and peek at the unit. Would've been nice if the lights were larger/brighter or ideally with a readable digital display that allows you to see the current settings.
-Remote control unit is small and very basic in functionality but the addition of a few more buttons would've been appreciated - particularly fixed inputs - so if i press 'hdmi2' it automatically goes to said input. Also the IR dispersement is very narrow and requires very direct line of sight for commands to be registered.
on February 5, 2014
Love this soundbar, and love the TV (we have a Panasonic TC-L50E60 TV). We bought both from Amazon. (And I am a real consumer, and a fussy one at that.)

The reason we got the soundbar is because the online reviews of this particular TV were correct: the sound from this TV's speakers is not that great. But the picture and everything else about the TV is absolutely terrific. See this CNET review of the TV: [...]

Being able to split the speaker bar itself into three separate speaker units (a small horizontal center speaker and two vertical stereo speakers) is perfect for our situation. The wireless sub is a real nice feature, too, and the main control unit fits nicely inside the cabinet. There are no surround speakers, but the stereo sound is full and very good for such a compact system. And with the VIERA Link system that Panasonic equipment uses between devices via an HDMI ARC connecting cable, the soundbar turns on and off with the TV and its remote (though you'll still need to turn the sub on and off manually).

But if you get one of these along with a Panasonic TV, be sure you set up the VIERA Link between the two properly. When we first set everything up, we had a lot of trouble with the VIERA Link failing (even after a few successful uses) so that the soundbar would no longer turn on and off with the TV (and from the other things I saw online, we weren't the only ones who have had problems with VIERA Link). Here's how to hook things up to start with (and after this I'll explain how to complete a relink if the link fails).

Initial setup
1) First, before hooking up the soundbar to the TV, don't do anything in the TV's Setup menu to set up any VIERA Link settings. And BE SURE THE TV IS OFF before connecting the soundbar to the TV.

2) Connect all of the speakers to the soundbar's main unit.

3) Connect the soundbar's power cord to the soundbar's main unit and to your power source.

4) TURN THE MAIN UNIT ON, and then connect an HDMI ARC cable to the main unit's HDMI ARC jack.

5) WITH THE TV STILL OFF (and the soundbar already on), connect the HDMI ARC cable to the HDMI ARC input on the TV. (Note: See the soundbar's owner's manual for the initial setup of the subwoofer. You can manually turn the subwoofer on at this point, or you can wait until the end of this process.)

6) Turn the TV on

7) Press the Menu button on the TV's remote, scroll down to "Setup", and then select "VIERA Link settings." (In the submenu, only "VIERA Link" will be available at this point, and it will be set to "Off", The other 4 settings in the submenu will be grayed out at this point.)

8) Select "VIERA Link" and change "Off" to "On". The other items will no longer be grayed out (except for "Energy saving mode"). You can now change their settings.

9) Change "Power link on" and "Power link off" from "No" to "Yes". "Energy saving mode" will now be available, but leave its setting at "Quick start". And unless you have other Panasonic equipment that use VIERA Link, leave "Unselected device auto off" set to "Off".

10) Press "Return" or "Menu" on the TV's remote a couple of times to get out of the Menu.

11) Press the "APPS" button on the remote. The Apps screen will appear. Scroll over to the "VIERA Link" icon and select it.

12) A small "VIERA Link menu" will appear with "Speaker output" highlighted with "TV" visible to its right.

13) Select "Speaker output" and then select "Home Theater" instead of "TV". Press "OK" on the remote. The sound will not be heard for a few seconds while a "Please wait a moment" message appears, and then the sound will be heard from the soundbar. (Note: If you didn't manually turn the subwoofer on in Step 5, turn it on now.)

Now whenever you turn the TV on or off, the soundbar will also turn on and off.

Quick Fix: If you ever have the experience of not having the soundbar turn on when you turn the TV on, and you just want to quickly use the TV speakers rather than relinking the soundbar, just complete step 11 and then choose "TV" instead of "Home Theater", turn the TV off and then on again, and you'll hear sound from the TV's speakers.

Relinking the soundbar with the TV with VIERA Link if the link fails
If the soundbar does not turn on along with the TV (and this may happen if you experience a power outage, or for no apparent reason at all), you'll need to go thru the following process to relink the soundbar.

A) First do the "Quick Fix" above to change the "Speaker output" setting from "Home Theater" setting to "TV". But LEAVE THE TV ON this time.

B) Press the "Menu" button on the TV's remote, scroll down to "Setup", then select "VIERA Link settings".

C) First change "Power link on" and "Power link off" from "Yes" to "No" ("Energy saving mode" will gray out). Leave "Unselected device auto off" set to "Off". Then change "VIERA Link" from "On" to "Off". All of the other 4 settings will now be grayed out.

D) Turn the TV off.

E) Unplug the HDMI ARC cable from the back of the TV.

F) Unplug the soundbar's power cord from the power source. Unplug the power cable from the back of the soundbar, and unplug the HDMI ARC cable from the soundbar.

E) Now just complete Steps 4 thru 13 above and the link will be restored.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow, what a cool stereo.

I've never had a 3.1ch sound system and have always been little skeptical of getting one because I felt it wouldn't provide me with the immersive sound experience I've come accustom to with 5.1 or, 7.1ch systems. However, after setting everything up in my sons room and watching Cars 2 on Blue-ray, I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. The system was clear and immersive. The Base speaker has plenty of kick and will rumble the chair your sitting in. The Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Virtual Speaker and DTS technologies used in this system do a great job in making the sound feel immersive and life like similar to a 5.1 system. The center speaker sounds great and Dialog is clear and easy to understand.

The system was also a breeze to set up and linked to my 42ich Insignia 'INsync' system without any problems. I also love the fact that you can screw all the speakers together and have a sound bar or, keep them all separate in pedestal or wall mount setups. The speakers look great and are slim and lite making it easy to put almost anywhere.

For the money this system is a great value and I would recommend it to anyone.
on November 11, 2013
Bought this to accompany a new Panasonic Viera TV (which works perfectly). The speakers provide excellent sound and are aesthetically very pleasing. But, whenever the receiver shuts off due to inactivity, you cannot get it to turn on again. I've found a workaround: unplug the receiver from the wall socket and leave unplugged for about 2 minutes. Then plug back in. You should be able to turn the receiver back on.

While this solution works, it's incredibly annoying and obviously unacceptable. Unfortunately for me, I did not notice this until it was too late to return (I'm not the primary user of the TV / speakers).

It's a shame because otherwise the speakers are great.

For the record, I'm connecting to a Panasonic Viera TV via HDMI (ARC), so there should be no compatibility issue.
on November 8, 2014
Excellent design and performance but stability is worsted than I thought! I bought the Panasonic SC-HTB770S brand new and already started to have power out or Device wouldn't power up after two weeks of excellent services!!!So I unplug the Device(System)for three Minutes to reset! It works fine afterword's but kept introducing new problem like wouldn't detect signal from Cable so what I did unplug all HDMI Cable except HDMI-ARC which one connected to the HDMI-ARC of the Panasonic VT-50 So TV is doing the switching not the Sound bar and didn't experience any problem after that. I didn't experience delay switching that other are complaining!!!And don't even bother to update the Firmware!!!!!it wouldn't install regardless what USB flash Drive/Stick or how you format the Drive!!!Panasonic send me a USB flash Drive[$9.75] with Firmware but it wouldn't detect or install the Firmware at all.
on December 17, 2013
I am not sure the last time i wrote a review on Amazon but this made me write it for a reason. Got this as part of Thanks giving shopping for me and it was okay for the money paid. But coming back from a vacation i found it wouldnt turn on. It was connected to a surge protector and everything else connected to surge protector is working. I tried hooking up to a different power, still hard luck. I am even thinking of returning the whole junk using the amazon return policy and get the hell out of it. Would be nice if they send a replacement of the part that didnt work, but an hour long chat with customer support they asked me to mail the part for warranty related fixing. seriously? I cant use my external speakers for the holidays? that SUCKS! I would have easily rated you three or four if you had been working as expected speakers!
on September 1, 2013
We love this sound bar and wireless sub! Works great with our projector and the receiver is great as we use that for our "hub" that feeds out one HDMI cable to our projector, which the Onkyo 2.1 couldn't do. The bluetooth on this system works great too. Can't really be more pleased. Tested out all the sound bars at Best Buy and this one by far sounded the best and once we got it hooked up at home we were not let down.
on June 2, 2013
My background is IBM PCCo. project/product manager for World-Wide quality. Based on my experience with this unit, I believe Panasonic failed during development cycle of this product to perform what we at IBM called an "environmental test". Basically, cycling temperature (freezing to hot) to stress the components and board circuits. The same test was/is being done daily on samples off the manufacturing floor to assure that component quality is still at par or better.

I am making this assumption based on both my experience and experience of the previous evaluator. My unit was working for a' 4 hours in the evening. This morning it did not drive the speakers via the HDMI (ARC compatible) which I used to link to our 60" Panasonic Viera plasma unit. I think that a circuit (possibly solder connection) failed but kept functioning because of thermal expansion. In the morning, with the circuits cooled, the connection did not work. I tried 3 different HDMI cables, one of them being of the highest quality available today, using the proper procedure of powering all of the components down. Once I got the sound but for a very short time. The SC-HTB770 HDMI (ARC) connector area would be the first place I would look at. What was very concerning that during one of the power-up cycles, my Tripp-Lite uninterruptable power supply signaled "power overload". This is serious problem - if I would not be using power overload protection, I could possibly end with very expensive TV set being dead.

I also tested the optical connection, and it and the speakers work just fine. I am returning this unit and strongly suggest to others not to buy this product line until Panasonic makes statement that the problem was analyzed, identified and fixed. Nobody wants to have their (sometimes very pricey) being destroyed.
on August 13, 2014
Just received and setup 8/13/2014. A little bit of assembly required out of box but to be expected with multiple configuration options. Purchased this to replace terrible audio quality on my 50" Seiki 4K TV. Very impressed with ease of setup and overall audio quality...I'm converting digital coax from tv to toslink into Panasonic control unit no need to change input on receiver as often this way. For $176 not going to complain, much better quality than I expected.