Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Note: This unit is listed for sale in several different places on Amazon, so be sure to shop for the best price by doing a search on Amazon. Also, note that I have raised my rating to 5 stars due to the very good sound quality achieved with just a little experience and learning on how to set up and use this properly. (See updates at end of review.)

For the current sale prices between 50 and 70 bucks, this is a decent value, super for some, a bit less for others. Those who like strong, thumping bass will love it. Those with more refined tastes will be OK with it (or maybe not, if you absolutely hate the boomy bass thing [but see updates below]). For young folks, maybe a good choice as they seem to like this and the Bose type units a lot. Also, this is an excellent choice for watching movies with your tablet.

The good parts are you get a solid, well built unit with some nice features. It's stylish, heavy, runs off A/C (no batteries). It is portable in the sense that it is small enough to easily carry from one room to another, but not in the sense of traveling in a car (unless you have an inverter for your DC auto power). For a home unit, I think it's fine.

The controls are simple and easy to use. There's a switch for the snazzy circle light on top, one for the D-surround sound, a volume up, down, and power on/off. There are LED indicator lights for the D-Surround, Power, and Bluetooth. The "D-Surround" is the typical spread field effect. It sounds pretty good, but unfortunately accentuates the already boomy base, so it works better with some material than others. If you turn this off, you get a more "normal" sound stage which is preferable on some things. That said. at moderate volume levels the "D-Surround" works pretty well.

The Bluetooth paired quickly and easily in my tests and worked well, no dropouts or other problems. This seems to be the older version of BT, though, and while the sound quality is acceptable, it's nowhere near audiophile quality. Using the Aux-In port, I was able to get much improved sound quality. The Bluetooth is adequate and fine at moderate volume levels, and is great for Netflix videos and so forth. But the wired sound is hands down the best and really shows what this little speaker is capable of. (This is true for many other similar speakers as well.)

Anther great feature is the USB power ports on the back. You get two 5 Volt, 1.5 Amp ports, so you can power one USB device in use, while charging another and there's plenty of power for most uses. (Note: the USB ports supply power only, no data functions.) A nice touch is that they can charge your devices even when the unit is turned off. Excellent!

The pop-up tablet stand worked fine with my Amazon Kindle HD 8.9" tablet and would work with most anything. It's very easy to pop up and fold down. I liked it. At this time, I have not been able to test the NFC or the Panasonic Streaming app. Both have been reported to work fine, though, in reviews I read elsewhere.

It's true, as others have reported, that the SC-NP10 starts to distort at max volume levels, the good news, however, is that there is plenty of volume before you hit that point. For a reasonable size room, it is plenty loud, and for up close personal use it will go louder than most could stand.

I have given this unit 4 stars based on the excellent value at current prices, the many nice features, and the good (if not perfect) sound. For casual use, it is perfectly fine. No, it's not among the best I've ever heard, but it is certainly adequate for casual use, and it costs much less than most of those "better" sounding units. Add in the stylish design, nice touches like the dual USB power ports, the tablet stand, lighted "pad", simple controls and good overall operation and I think you have a winner.

I think young people would especially like this unit, but I am quite satisfied with it, myself, and no one calls me "young" these days. I felt it such a good value, that I bought a couple as gifts. If you tame that bass a bit, I think you will be satisfied with it, and if you love that bass, you will love it.

Bonus Star: If your primary use is watching movies with your tablet, personal projector, or laptop; that plays to the strengths of this unit. The D-Surround and bass are much like a "Theatre Mode" and give truly excellent sound for movies. So add a star if that is your main reason for purchasing the SC-NP10.

Also if you tend to listen at low to moderate volume levels, I think you would be very happy with this unit.

Updates:
The two USB power/charging ports are very convenient and give you unlimited listening time while recharging your tablet or other device. I have now tested the unit with several different tablets, phones, laptops and all paired easily and work well. Better quality source material is rewarded with excellent audio results. Compact size is also a nice plus.

Also, note that since the "D.Surround" tends to emphasize bass, you can use this to your advantage. When listening at low volume levels, turning on "D.Surround" will act like a "loudness" control and the boosted bass will help since our ears hear bass differently at low volumes. It's easy to toggle on/off to see which setting you prefer.

2014-03-13 Update: After a few minor adjustments and learning, I am getting excellent sound quality from this unit. Activate the higher quality bluetooth as described above, turn off the D.Surround for music (according to taste, it tends to emphasize bass response, on some things I like it, others not so much. Great for video/movies, though!) and make sure your playback device is setup correctly. The "boominess" referenced above is all but gone. Now raising my rating to 5 stars because of the low price, great features and quality.

2014-09-03 Update: After having used this for some time, I note that it pairs quickly and flawlessly with everything I've tried, usually pairs almost immediately. I am finding it to be a really handy little unit. I purchased several more as gifts and an extra one for myself when I found them on sale recently. The aux in and USB power ports are really handy and the sound is good for the price. Note that plugging in a cable to the audio in port disables bluetooth, so if your bluetooth does not work, check and make sure you did not forget and leave a cable plugged into the aux in port.
on January 21, 2014
I'm torn between giving this 3 or 4 stars. I got this speaker on sale for forty bucks. At this price level, I'd give it 4 stars. But at the current price, which is double that, I'd give it no more than 3 stars.

Why? When the volume is greater than about 50-60% everything just starts turning to crap. The highs become distorted and the bass starts sounding tinny ("pew pew pew").

However, having said that, if you can score this speaker at the lower price then I would recommend it. It's not worth more than fifty bucks in my opinion.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The full name may promise a bit more than is actually delivered: Panasonic SC-NP10 Desktop Compact Wireless Speaker System with Subwoofer Stream. But the overall quality of this wireless sound system coupled with a great deal of convenience and portability show that Panasonic thought about the end-user when creating this new product.

I've tried it with a Samsung tablet and an Ipod, streaming music stored on both a computer and the Ipod. The better the source file, the better the sound still applies here. Compressed MP3 files still sound thin and brittle but music ripped into a noncompressed FLAC format sounds dynamic with a clear high-end, a decent midrange, and an OK bass from the subwoofer that helps compensate for the small speaker sizes. The SC-NP10 sounds better to me at medium volume but it begins to distort a bit when pushed to higher volumes. I like the overall depth of the sound when the "D. Surround" is engaged, and I've found that the best sound seems to be when one is in front of the unit, not off to the sides. Not that any of that is a surprise, but I wanted to try it from different places within different rooms.

The speaker system is not going to replace a two-channel rig for high-end listening, but its portability and ease-of-use make it a go-to choice for adding music to a porch, kitchen, or office, especially when space is at a premium. I mainly stream music stored on my PC and managed by JRiver Media, so the table acts serves as the remote for both the music files and the SC-NP10. You can either prop a tablet on top of the speaker system using the convenient pop-up holder or carry the tablet around as far as your blue tooth tether allows. I will say that listener fatigue does set in after 30 minutes or so if you sit and just focus on the music. (I have not yet tried this with the system set to "Sound Priority Quality Mode" as I am having too much fun using the streaming feature to access my music library on my PC and play it through the SC-NP10.) Again, music sounds dynamic and clear, but I would not label it as natural sounding. But if you want background music for working, kitchen chores, or conversation, then this unit delivers a nice envelop of sound throughout the room.

Controls are simple and logical, and the option for turning off the blue light on the Panasonic is a thoughtful addition missing from many other devices. It is also possible to charge your table and another USB connected device using the ports in back of the SC-NP10, again, a nice convenience feature. It paired quickly with my Samsung Galaxy tablet once I downloaded and installed the Panasonic Music Streaming app (it's free). The NFC touch activation worked as noted, again, a thoughtful touch. Another plus is that this device just looks cool. When the blue circle glows it looks like an alien landing pad, and if you do not want this blue halo disturbing your sleep, you can turn the light off, which is an option many devices lack (for reasons that are baffling).

One minor irritation is that the power cord does not fit snuggly, causing an unexpected shutdown if a cat brushes the cord or I jostle something on a table near the speaker system. Still, I find this system a great addition to a wired household.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 2, 2014
Would recommend this product, it will bring your IPAD to "life". The sound is clear and has enough boom for those movie times.
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been in need of a speaker system like this for sometime. As an iPhone/iPad user, I'd been looking at some of the others out there, such as the Bose SoundDock. As chance would have it, this became available, and I quickly jumped on the opportunity.

Connecting the speaker was extremely easy via bluetooth. Simply plug in the Panasonic SC-NP10, press the pair/light button, and the bluetooth light begins to flicker. On your phone/tablet, you go to the bluetooth settings, and pair the device. Music then plays without issue, and adjusting volume via your iPad/iPhone works great. The Panasonic speaker does have volume controls on it as well, which can work well for up close use. If you're walking around with your iPhone, for instance, it is nice to be able to adjust the volume using your phone.

One of the other buttons on the speaker is the D. Surround button. Keeping this on really does add to the overall sound of the device. You truly hear more of the bass, and get that added "umph" many people are used to. Turning that off allows more treble to be heard, which may be what some people prefer. Personally, I've kept it on, however, I have found with some songs that have a lot of bass you can hear the speaker reaching its limits. U2's No Line on the Horizon song, for instance, causes this to occur if you reach maximum volume. As a side note, the Panasonic speaker beeps if you try to turn up the volume more than it is capable of doing.

The kickstand is a great idea, and works well with my original iPad, iPhone 5, 4s, as well as iPad Mini. All of them were easily able to be propped up on the speaker using the kickstand. The kickstand itself props up easily, and can go right back down just as simply.

Another button on the device is the light button. It causes the inner circle of the device to become blue. A kinda cool feature, although really doesn't do much other than making it look neater.

One thing that I do wish the device came with was a remote (at least mine didn't if there is supposed to be one). Especially when using a tablet, and having it propped up on the kickstand, sometimes you need to adjust the volume. You're then forced to walk back and either do so on the tablet or on the Panasonic SC-NP10 itself. The added convenience of a remote would've been nice, especially at this price point. For a smartphone, it's not as big of a deal, at least for me, I still keep it in my pocket. I can then stop and adjust volume as needed. Just not as easy to tote around a tablet in your pocket.

Panasonic has an app available for iOS and Android that supposably allows you to better manage playing music on the device. From what I've seen and read, it appears to be better for Android devices, as my testing of it via iOS didn't really provide a very different experience compared to using the built-in music app that Apple offers with iOS.

For the price, it's a fantastic device, overall, and thus my reason for giving us 4 stars. I'm happy with it, sounds good overall, etc. For me, what could make it a 5 star device is the inclusion of a remote and improving on the performance of the speaker itself. Enjoy!
on March 2, 2014
Clear sound , a good item , good on internet radio, nothing more I can say....nothing more I can say..
on February 23, 2014
I purchased this unit directly from Panasonic. This thing truly is incredible. I am a little worried that Panasonic will be discontinuing this unit. My cost for the unit was $50 including free shipping. I will be trying to buy a few more units for my kids and grandkids. This is worth every cent of the $200 MSRP.
on August 16, 2013
Love it, love it, love it. Item was received in a very short amount of time after placing my order. The item itself more than met my expectations. The ease of allowing the connection through my bluetooth was effortless and I love the fact that I can use my Tablet and my phone with the system. The sound quality is also great.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really love this product. Didn't think there would be a wireless speaker system (similar to the Bose) that would allow me to play directly from my iPad. What I like about this one is that it has an excellent sound and the price is lower than some of the other ones on the market. Also, Panasonic is a good quality product - so far I haven't had any issues with it. Highly recommended.
on December 26, 2014
5 star product for the price. Don't compare with Bose though. Also it doesn't have a battery, so its not a 'take along' stuff. Really good 'bass' though. Another thing to remember that it pairs with one device at a time. So don't get frustrated if u cannot pair with your phone and tablet.