Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Panasonic SCXH70 5.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 4, 2013
One of its HDMI ports is an ARC (Audio Return Channel) port, and I have my (Panasonic) television connected to it. I also have a Panasonic proprietary HDMI Viera link established between the TV and AMP.
The ARC connection allows the TVs' sound to play through the AMP.
The Viera link connection allows me to control the AMP's volume by pointing my remote at the TV (my AMP is hidden, and I can't point my remote at it)

Everything is working fine now, but.......
When I first tried to set it up, the Viera link didn't work properly, some menu items were disabled or unavailable, and the (Sony) Blu-Ray player didn't work through the HDMI port. I had to figure out how to reset the unit back to factory defaults, and reconfigure it and the TV from scratch, before I got it to work.

This unit replaced an older Panasonic SC-PT956/SA-PT956 home theater system that I ‎was unable to get to work (with viera link) with my new TV, even though it worked (with ‎some problems) with my old TV.‎

As an Engineer and IT manager, my experience with Panasonic in general is as Follows:
They make Very good, reliable and cost effective Televisions - but that's where it ends. Every things else of theirs that I tried was poor to mediocre.
Mediocre Blu-Ray player
Mediocre to poor Amplifiers / Home theatre
Very Poor printers
Very poor blank recordable Blu-Ray disks
In my dealings with their corporate offices, they were unresponsive, and would not help me with warranty issues.
1313 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2013
This system was a big surprise for the money. It has very good quality sound and I am pleased with it in every way so far. It was also easy to set up. I ended up placing speakers on the wall with exception of the sub-woofer. Connected it to a 51" Samsung plasma screen. Picture and sound are incredible. If you don't live in the country the sound may disturb your neighbors. Very happy I bought it.
on March 26, 2015
This system looks great and sounds even better. I'm very happy with the purchase. As for the people who say this system wouldn't work or didn't sound very good I suggest to you READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL AND THEN READ IT AGAIN!!!!! Too many people buy electronics and try to operate them without understanding how they actually work. Good job Panasonic, very happy with your surround sound system!!!!!!
on April 29, 2013
For the price this system sells for you really cant ask for too much more. It's smaller than expected but it does kick out some bass and good sound once you get the settings right. The only thing it may be lacking at higher volumes is some nice crisp highs.
on December 29, 2013
I was kinda worried when I first saw the size of the syste. I hooked it up.. played some dubstep.. and WOW!! WUBBB bass is nice
on July 3, 2015
Surprisingly good sound for the Price! Installed this system in our motorhome.
Unfortunately our 29" samsung tv doesn't have a optical audio out so I can't listen to tv through the SCXH70 system, but movies, cd's play through system fine. Also able to listen to ipod through Aux in 3.5mm port on receiver front panel via cabling. All in all, not disappointed with this system whatsoever for our motorhome. (**Update 5/16) Finally figured out how to run TV audio through this system. The 29" Samsung TV we have didn't have any audio out ports, but it did have a headphone port. I had a radio jack to stereo left/right splitter. I plugged the radio jack end of the splitter into the TV headphone port & plugged the stereo left/right [red/white] plugs into the back of the Panasonic [red/white] Aux ports & it worked! Although it isn't true surround sound, at least the TV goes through the 5 Panasonic speakers.
on January 27, 2015
Great power for a small system. Had a 1000 Watt system by panasonic that lasted me 11 years and recently went out leading me to purchase this one. While the bass is obviously not as power it sounds very very good. Clean clear sound. Great product.
on January 25, 2016
My girlfriend's other home theater busted. Don't put your cable box, modem and play station on top of the unit, which she did, then blamed me for not telling her. Got a slight upgrade the shut her trap. Would recommend.
on July 13, 2015
Im Very Impressed i thought that this home theater unit would sound not as good as a Yamaha but it sounds better the AUX port is for my kariokie For dance night!! Some of you did say that the BASS is too low it Actually is too much for me also use 14 gauge wire if you want longer wire i recommend longer wire!! Thats my review if your on a budget i reconmend this unit :-)
on June 2, 2015
It's cheap, and you get what you pay for.
The audio quality is "shallow". The advertised 400W sounds impressive, but the sound volume and quality coming from the speakers does not.
It might be suitable for a small apartment in a quiet neighborhood, but if there are any competing noises at all (dishwasher, air conditioner, cars in the street, fleas farting, etc.) then you'll need to crank the volume as high as it goes to be able to hear everything.
The main unit feels fragile in my hands.
It has the ability to select 2-channel mode if you don't want to use all of the speakers, but it will "forget" that you put it in this mode if you unplug the power, or even swap discs.
Basically, if you cannot afford a good quality unit, this one will basically do the job, but it won't give you a great home theater experience. Consider saving up and buying a proper system for an extra hundred. That would be a good investment.
The return policy for this unit is "requires special handling, no returns" which I did not notice when I bought it, so now I am stuck with it. Beware!