5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mochi maker, January 7, 2005
This review is from: Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi/Dough Maker (Kitchen)
The Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi Maker proved to be a very good device, providing excellent results in a relatively short time. the unit steamed 3 lbs of sweet rice in about 25 minutes and pounded the rice for about 15 minutes to produce a nice, smooth ball of hot mochi. The Amazon price was good and included at the time, an additional $25 discount and free shipping - hard to beat!... The mochi came out of the machine quite easily and cleanup was very easy. The first few batches of mochi were quite consistent and easy to work with (soak time for all of these was > 10 hours (overnight)); the final batch which was soaked just 5-6 hours came out very sticky and difficult to work. Overall, an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homemade Mochi - Yumm!, March 7, 2005
This review is from: Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi/Dough Maker (Kitchen)
Soak the mochi rice overnight for the best results. Works great and makes a batch in about an hour. Very easy to use, and the cleaning the unit after use is simple. Best when eaten fresh, but you can also freeze the mochi. Haven't used it to make bread dough yet. The funniest thing in the instructions is when they tell you to scrape any mold off any stored mochi before you eat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for making bread and mochi, August 26, 2005
This review is from: Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi/Dough Maker (Kitchen)
We have made only bread and mochi so far, and both are fine. We will soon make dough for noodles, pizza and won ton wraps. We use the machine about three times a week. It is important to know that the machine kneads the dough, which is then baked in the oven.

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic mochi maker, August 26, 2005
This review is from: Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi/Dough Maker (Kitchen)
Excellent fresh mochi maker. It makes soft mochi from presoaked sweet rice in 45 minutes. Presoak uncooked sweet rice in water for at least 6 hours before using. After mochi is done, let it set in machine for at least 45 minutes, otherwise it is too hot to touch. Dust with cornstarch when forming individual patties.

Drops of red food color could be added to measured water to make pink mochi.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are mochi lover....., December 29, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi/Dough Maker (Kitchen)
I grew up in Japan, and ate my share of mochi growing up. Especially around the New Year's holiday -- that's the traditional time to make and eat mochi. Here in the US, you can buy mochi at a health food store or Asian markets. But nothing beats freshly made mochi! I purchased this machine several years ago, and have been using ever since. Since the machine makes a lot of mochi, when I make a batch, I give some to friends and they all love them and ask, "Homemade?! How do you make them?" I tell them they have to have a machine to make them. The machine is bulky, so I tuck it away in a closet and only took it out a couple of times a year to make a batch or two of mochi. Mochi freeze very well and it's a snap to pop them in a toaster oven to warm them up. My son loves mochi, and we often eat it for breakfast. You can pretty much treat it as toast - can put a slice of cheese to toast, or toast it until soft and then dip it in soy sauce and wrap it in Nori. These are a couple of our favorite ways to eat mochi. I wish the machine is a little smaller, but I guess it can't be helped. I'm giving it a 4-star review because of the size. (Think a big bread machine) But who knows, in a few years, the machine may get smaller. A great equipment to have for mochi lovers. As I mentioned, I only use it a couple of times a year, but I feel it's well worth the money I spent, even though I don't use it for any other purposes. (the machine is capable of making pasta dough, bread dough, etc.)

Panasonic SD-MA18N-W Mochi/Dough Maker