Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on May 24, 2009
I was searching for a HDTV that was affordable and had a great picture. At first I was looking for a LCD TV, but figured that Plasma will probably give me more bang for my buck then LCD. This is the newest model for 2009. I have an older Panasonic TV (2006), where I had no compliants and enjoy everyday. That TV was $2000 for a 58', and I got this for $850. What a deal. Simple to set up, and the picture is great. There is a lag when changing channels, but thats life. Great TV for the price.
on August 30, 2009
The whole process of purchasing and receiving this tv was absolutely trouble free. We experienced very bad customer service at Best Buy so we decided to try an online purchase of a big ticket item. Amazon made everything so simple. The delivery was just as simple because they called us and asked when would be convenient. They were actually early on the exact date!!!!! We may never go to a store again!!!!
on December 17, 2013
I have had this TV for 4 years now.. It is still going strong and the picture quality is STILL outstanding! I have read a lot of the reviews and noticed a lot of people mentioning their TV's going out after two or three years. I Lived here in the Dallas area when I originally purchased this TV in 2009 and than about 5 months later moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. The TV was in the back of a Penske moving van for the trip. Last year, I moved back here 50 miles north of Dallas, and the TV once again was moved in the back of a Penske moving van. Fir having been moved around so much, this TV has done pretty well as far as I am concerned! The only fault I have found with it has been a tendency toward image retention.which can be remedied by not having the channel set to FOX NEWS or any other channel that has that "Crawl" going across the bottom of the screen constantly. Other than that, the TV has proven itself to be a top line contender for any quality and dependability award as far as I am concerned!
on January 2, 2010
I get comments all the time on what a terrific picture this set has. Great contrast color and brightness. That is the most important thing in a TV and why I give it 5 stars. Only thing I wish was different is that it does not have VGA or USB input capability which makes it difficult to view downloaded videos. If you have HDMI output on your computer this is not an issue for you. In my case I ended up buying a new DVD player with USB slot.
on October 17, 2009
I own and love 50" Pioneer (purchased two years ago) and this bedroom TV is almost as good for 1/3 the price. The delivery was quick and the set up was easy for this mechanically incompetent knucklehead. My only mistake was not buying an HDMI cable at the same time. I spent $50 for one at Radio Shack and later saw Amazon had one for $9.00!! You cannot go wrong, on any level, with this purchase from Amazon.
on July 25, 2010
Shortly after purchasing power button light went into death throes. Blinks 7 times than stops briefly before it starts over again. TV will not power on. Large circuit board replaced one month ago and now back to doing it again. Google "Panasonic 7 blinking lights of death" to see just how widespread the problem is.
on May 25, 2011
If I could have given a negative rating, I would. I cannot believe a company would continue to sell a product that clearly has a long history of problems. We have had our TC-P42S1 for less than 18 months, and now it is blinking 10 times, which I understand means one or more of the boards is now defunct. Searching for a diy cure, I came upon many boards all having the same problem. They need to recall of theses Plasmas and FIX THE PROBLEM!

I strongly urge you to reconsider purchasing this product. If you are determined, make sure you get the extended warranty. YOU WILL NEED IT.
on December 8, 2009
So I go to a store that rhymes with HH Fregg and haven't decided on LCD or plasma and asked the salesman whether I should be concerned about the life of plasmas, burn-in etc. He said those issues are resolved and because of price I kept coming back to this one. (It was on sale for S649.99- regularly $1000). The salesman was trying to get me to get the G series because it had the THX certification. I couldn't justify the extra $$300 because of one setting that I honestly didn't notice much difference in the side by side comparison to warrant $300 more dollars. So I took this one and when I got it home and set it all up I was shocked to see how much better it looked at home even though I was impressed at the store. It was even that much better at home. The reason, the guy at the store told me they have the sets hooked up with component cables. When you hook it up using a good HDMI cable, yes there are different quality cables, the difference was huuuuuge! I was shocked to hear how loud this TV is. The picture is awesome. I've seen a lot of HDTVs and this picture is just so brilliant and clear. Yes, you have to adjust the settings for the lighting in your room. The picture straight from the box is not impressive but once you adjust it to the lighting in your room and preference, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I am impressed.
on November 16, 2014
Picture quality is a 7. Audio quality is a 7. It came in a nice box. A box you could put a 42" plasma TV in. That was thoughtful.

It runs so hot you can heat a small bedroom with it.
on March 17, 2010
This review is going to be biased.
Info: I live approx. 6 mi from the TV transmitters in my area.
Previous TV for comparison: JVC D-series 27" CRT w/ Insignia SD tuner box
Other equipment: B&W speakers, Pioneer Elite receiver, Oppo BluRay player
Tech level: High. I read AVSForum, listen to tech podcasts, and program computers for a living.

Also note, this is my first HDTV purchase, and I made some mistakes in the process, so I'll share them with you so that you can perhaps avoid them.

Advantages:
-The fact that you get a performance plasma for a low price means this unit is a great value. You'd be hard pressed to find another plasma that has the performance/price ratio this one does.
-It *is* a plasma. As such, you get spot-on motion resolution (very natural!), wide viewing angles, and good black levels. It produces a very nice, non-fatiguing picture, which many LCDs simply can't compete with, at or above this price point.
-Optical audio output works very well; it can even put out 2-channel audio from HDMI input sources out over optical.
-I thought I would hate the glass face (potentially reflective), but I found that if you don't have lights back where you sit, it actually brings the picture out and makes it look better.

Disadvantages:
-The color performance on this display is so-so. People, in general, tend to look pale and bland (too green), especially with DVD, SDTV material on TV after using a calibration disc. Out of the box it was too yellow. It's kinda boring to look at, perhaps like you're watching a lake with a mild algae infestation. Most of the Panasonic THX plasmas (G10, V10) above this model aren't this bad, so you may want to spend more if you don't like the color on the S1. Note: With truly HD or BluRay material, I've found the color doesn't bother me as much and I'm okay with it. I'm not sure why, maybe its the way the S1 does color conversion. In short, this HDTV cannot provide a picture that's remotely close to reference, even with significant tweaking. It's better than many of it's peers, but it still falls short.
-Calibration controls for this set are few. There is no 11-step gray scale adjustment, or any color management system. Because of this, you really can't fix the color decoding issues without expensive external hardware. Even the service menu controls are limited, which means even an ISF calibrator would be hard pressed to fix these problems.
-No VGA/PC input. Thought I wouldn't care too much about not having this, but discovered that I do. There are so many times where I wish I could hook up my laptop to my TV (streaming video, playing video games, etc) that I wish I had this. YMMV. I could get a VGA to HDMI adapter, but that actually costs more than moving to a 42" G10 with the VGA input.
-The ATSC tuner is very bare-bones. You can't see extended show information, what's coming up next, no guide or anything other than the title of the show from show metadata. The tuner is also not very sensitive, I find I need to tweak the antenna a bit more to keep the station coming in well. (I'm comparing to an Insignia SD tuner box I used previously; LG made it and use a similar ATSC tuner system in their TVs, I believe; much better IMHO).
-After I got it, and had it in the room, I realized that yes, I could have gone 50" and it would have made a big positive difference. If your'e hunting for a TV, you may want to think about getting one size bigger than the size you want.

Conclusion: while this display met my budget requirements, and while it is a pretty good display for the money, if you are kinda picky about picture quality you may be disappointed. I learned, after this purchase, that I should have saved a bit more and gone for a G10/V10, even if I had to mail-order it. I'll make a better decision next time.