5.0 out of 5 stars Top Price-Performer... A Great Buy
Published on April 16, 2009 by R. Barnett

2.0 out of 5 stars Panel Breaks Easily!
Although this TV does produce very good quality picture and sound, the panel is not very efficient. I bought this TV and 3 months later the panel broke and provided a big black bar on the right side of the TV. A replacement panel was ordered and installed 2 months later, to only discover the NEW panel was faulty, AND the boards that the panel needed to plug into were...
Published on January 12, 2010 by wants quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Price-Performer... A Great Buy, April 16, 2009
R. Barnett (Mobile, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA X1 Series TC-P50X1 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV (2009 Model) (Electronics)
Purchased for our master bedroom, the Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" 720p has true brilliant color, impressive blacks, great resolution (looks like a 1080p to me and I am a picky engineer), surprisingly good sound and great looks. It sports the lowest price per square inch of screen area and beats LCDs hands down with its 600Hz refresh rate (absolutely no motion blur) and looks the same no matter where you are in the room. After considerable research, the TC-P50X1 was the clear choice due to its price, performance and appearance. A super buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three letters .... WOW, April 16, 2009
Adam Ebner (chicago, illinois) - See all my reviews
I was going back and forth between the 720p and the 1080p and I could not see a difference, they had both side by side, and for the $700 difference it was not worth it to me. I bought the TV at best buy because they matched a competitor online price and that also brought the 4 year warranty down to only $159! Once the tv was delivered (free!) and my HD from directv was set up (free!) I was blown away by the quality. Great color and sharpness, I have it hooked up via HDMI and it is great. My brother has the samsung 1080p and I can't tell the difference. The connections are conviently located on the left side of the back of the tv and the sd card slot which is a great addition is on the left side of the tv along w/ some more inputs. It took me about a week or so to finally customize my own picture setting, I did not like the preset ones that much, either to dark or the vivid is to bright and contrasty. There is no VGA input but I got the pc hooked up via the s-video. Only downfall is if you use the SD card slot to view pictures it is very very slow at processing them, I suggest using the usb slot or the cords that came with the camera. Overall I would definetly suggest this tv especially for the price, you cannot find a better deal on a new release plasma tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, June 22, 2009
I love these Panasonic Plasmas, you can't go wrong. I tried this 720P version this time. I have a 46" Viera in 1080P plasma and this 50" has the same picture quality, I cannot tell the difference and I have great vision, and am very picky about picture quality. This is a great product and you can't beat the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Much better than expected., September 18, 2009
B. McCann (Scottsdale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I write this so someone esel can feel safe taking the plunge on PLASMA, and feel safe about a 720p as well.... this TV is fantastic so far.

Ok, so I used to sell Mitsubishi back in the day when plasma was new, and yes they were nice, but they were also ten thousand dollars. The cinema experince of them was great tho, so much more depth than the new LCD, and much better black levels. And believe me, that makes a HUGE difference in overall picture quality.

Well I have run 1080i on my Vizio 37" LCD tvs now for a few years, and was extremely satisfied with them. The picture was very vibrant and colorful etc.

This TV is a FIFTY INCH.... and it blows the DOORS off the 1080p Vizio 37 inch I had in its place. The viewing distance didnt change, so its actually TOO close for a 50 inch, and its still just stellar. The red is a bit bright, but I know TV images and there is ZERO blooming ( fuzzy glow) to the reds ot other high contrast images like whites and reds. Imagine white credits on a black screen... if they are hazy, contrast is bad, if they can remain very bright but still have crisp edges, you have yourself a very nice TV. Like this one. There is full adjustment to picture and color temperature, the sound is pretty good, def nothing to complain about. Its a classy TV, piano black etc.

I was VERY concerned about the 720p issue, and I have to tell you, the fact that its plasma seems to completely soak up that fact and make it disappear. Again, the look of PLASMA is far better than what I percieve on the 120Hz LCD models. I was completely ready to have a bit worse picture quality to have a 50 inch in my living room, and it far surpasses my other tv's/ I seriously go to sleep watching my 1080i 37 in the bedroom ( hooked up to full hi def mind you) and it looks like im watching a mobile audio sytle LCD monitor in the back of a car headrest in comparison. And just a few days ago, I thoght it was just great.

Complaints? It is HEAVY. Big time heavy. Its do able as one person, but Im a pretty big guy... otherwise its a 2 person gig to move it. Keep the box as you will need it to move it to a new place etc. And the fact that the cables attach behind the tv all the way to the left side sucks..... hard to hide cables that way.

Im not a fan of the remote, but this TV is sick.

ALSO: the SD card viwer.. very cool. It somehow ( I never read manuals anymore) blows up the images and displays my phone pictures ( 3.2 m pixel) in 50 inch with amazing clarity.. dont know if its upconverting them etc.. but they look friggin hi def too.. crazy.

I looked hi n low, this was THE best deal avail, in town or otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantaistic TV, but give it a little time., May 23, 2009
RVRoadie (The Villages, FL) - See all my reviews
I purchased this from amazon. Initial delivery was scheduled for 7 days after I placed the order over the weekend. First call from shipper moved the delivery up 3 days, second call moved it up one more day. Delivered on Wednesday, just 3 days after placing the order.

Truck showed up with just the driver. Was expecting two people, but one was enough to get the job done. Brought it in and unpacked it. I had the wall mount ready to go, so he attached the brackets to the TV and hung it on the all mount. He hooked up the cables from my Dish Network receiver and checked it out. Very happy with the whole procedure, and tipped the driver $20.

I was a little disappointed at the initial picture quality. On both Fox News HD and CNBC HD the faces looked a little muddled, like the resolution was not exactly right. Movies on HBO HD looked ok, but still not a good as I thought they should be. I thought about putting my 32" LCD beside it to see if I could see a difference, but never got around to it.

After two day of viewing, the picture is now perfect, just what I was hoping for. The only change I made was to switch to Cinima mode for the TV settings, but I don't think that is what made the difference.

Not sure why it took a couple of days for the picture improvement, but all the problems I noticed initially are history. I couldn't be happier with this TV, especially the price and delivery. Best Buy had this TV for $989, but free delivery only applied to $999 and above.

5.0 out of 5 stars ++++great value, even better picture++++, April 20, 2009
I'll sum this up in two words, amazing picture! I bought this tv to replace a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD and it's been the best electronics choice I've made in a long time! I really enjoy this tv to date, which has a strong contrast ratio 30,000:1, which just dwarfed my older LCD that had only 1,200:1, I won't even discuss the refresh rate (but actually was not an issue on the Sharp). Furthermore the value per inch is really unparalled given the quality of this tv. Having done my homework, a 1080p is really a marketing gimick that is not discernable to the average home viewer and furthermore inflates the costs significant, so with little content available or going to be abailable anytime soon in this format why waste your money? It's not as though 1080p content won't display at all! Panasonic got it right with this tv and furthermore the weight is surprisingly managable given the fact that Plasmas were always considered heavier and bulkier than LCDs. I've yet to play Nintendo Wii on this tv but I'm sure that Tiger woods golf will be a lot of fun. The only complaint that is that I have an HD feed from Direct TV (yes, I use HDMI and didn't pay $50 bucks for a cable, paid far less on eBay). The remote code 10250, plus the second 960 code doesn't allow for changing inputs with the universal Directv remote (that's no fault of Panasonic). If someone knows the workaround please post!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this TV, June 16, 2009
I bought this TV for my summer home in Maine. I am in the midst of rebuilding this home and have lots of other expenses so I was looking for a big screen TV which was affordable. I originally was set on buying an LCD but after reading the pros and cons of plasma, I changed my mind. I read many reviews and Consumer Reports before choosing this one. I had it shipped to the house (I am in a rural area) at no extra cost and am extremely happy with the set. The picture is great. The setup was fairly easy and even the daytime viewing (which plasma sets get a bad rap) doesn't present any problem at all. The only drawback is the sound. It is not the best but I intend to add external speakers to improve that. The speakers are in the back of the set and point down. My set is located near the walkout basement stairs and the sound travels straight down. I don't think I could have done any better for the price I payed, $950.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm pleased with some caveats (perhaps user error?), November 23, 2009
I *think* this set is a great value, but I may be doing something wrong with the settings which is why I'm not giving 5 stars for the picture.

Some background. I read the Amazon reviews which were stellar overall, and read the CNET review. I read the Plasma TV Mag review after I bought the plasma, and it may reflect some of the issues I'm having.

And the value - WOW - I got the set at Best Buy for $769 - they wanted to beat the Amazon price at the time.

Let me confirm a few things mentioned previously in these reviews:

1. It does take a few days to "break in" the picture. The picture has gotten better over the two weeks I've owned it.
2. The frame is extra-glossy and doesn't help the already-reflective surface of the plasma
3. The picture controls are very limited and not nearly as numerous as what you would find on a Sony or other set

The biggest picture quality issue I'm having with this set is jaggeed edges with higher sharpness settings and very dull and poorly defined faces with lower sharpness settings. You really have to play with the settings quite a bit. Overall, closeups on people and other imagery is exceptional, but objects in the background are very fuzzy, washed out and dull, almost colorless in some situations, for example crowds at a football games appear blurry and dull. I found by increasing contrast and reducing brightness, I could help this a bit. The Plasma Mag review confirms this problem. I would say this is the biggest difference versus an LCD, visuals do not have nearly the sharp edges or color depth. Sure, the blacks are much better, but I would love to have better color depth.

For example, if you're watching ESPN NFL show or something, the faces of the commentators at a distance are extremely fuzzy and poorly defined. But up front, incredible. LCDs are better at this I think.

Here are my settings, so maybe somebody can help:

Picture Mode - Custom
Contrast - 77
Brightness - 57
Color - 44
Tint + 4 (reds are too red)
Sharpness - 48
Black level - Light

Overall great set but I'm constantly playing with the picture settings for different types of shows, which I don't like.

And you can't really expect perfection at this price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price, April 14, 2009
D. Ruttenburg (Burbank, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After many months of searching, we settled on the Panasonic 50 inch plasma 720p. The folks at CNET were unable to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 50-inch TV and after looking at Best Buy and others, we really couldn't either. Besides, once it's in your house, it looks a lot better.

We are very pleased although it's been less than a week.

We used to own a 50-inch Samsung HD-DLP tv, which we bought in 2004. The picture on the new TV is significantly better than the DLP.

We got a great deal at a local HHGregg store (<$880) and are very happy, so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy cow man! That's a TV! O_o, December 8, 2009
Daniel Drown (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
For me the biggest contention was price point. When I went shopping for a great TV my biggest factor was bang for the buck. I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars on a superior product but the 1080p version benefits just simply do not justify the cost at this point in time. HDTVs have come down enormously in price so I jumped off the Standard Def wagon and man am I glad I did!

I am not a tech nerd. I know the difference between HDMI, component, and S-Video but beyond that, I'm your average Joe. So just bear that in mind that you're reading from the perspective of a pretty "average" user.

Benefits/Pros:

This TV has it all. Unless you're one of the tech nerds who want to play with the color for about 6 hours on the minor details and are upset that it doesn't allow you to change pixel 1,235,068 to looking more green, the picture quality is nothing less than outstanding right out of the box. I did play around with some of the preset color setting modes like "Cinema, Game, Vivid." I found Vivid to be a little too vivid and dialed it down. I'm actually watching "Game" right now and it looks beautimous on HD. I've also heard some say the picture quality gets better after a short period. I haven't really noticed a difference though. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so you be the judge.

HDMI ports are plentiful, the side panel is convenient. The Bezel white strip at the bottom looks fine. Some reviewers have complained of it, but I don't have any problem with it. As far as menus being a labyrinth, I don't really think that's true either but then again I'm not trying to change that pixel to looking more green. The TV is not really that heavy. It's a little bulky being 50 inches but honestly, when you compare a 50 inch TV 3 years ago in weight, this one is on slimfast.

I also did not find any issue with heat. It's been on several hours yet the heat output is relatively minimal.

Cons/Drawbacks:

No VGA inputs! Argh! Oh well. I don't plan on connecting it to my computer but I mulled that over in my head and thought it would make for one killer monitor. Although I think that there may exist the possibility of connecting the TV up to a video card that has an HDMI output. I'll explore that later down the road but for now, I'll just live with it.

Well what some have said about the remote is true, it is very crowded with Viera buttons and is very easy to accidentally press one while accessing the main menu. This is a minor issue.

Unknowns:

My main concern right now is product life. I've got at least a year of one year warranty but have been considering purchasing a warranty above and beyond that.

Burn in. I do play video games so I have to be cognizant of the possibility of burn in. Supposedly not a huge issue as I've read that even burn in can go away after awhile but I'm still mindful of it.

My PS3 sometimes does not immediately work with the TV connected through HDMI. I had to reset it a couple times for it to pick up the signal. Now it works seamlessly but I'm still concerned that maybe it might call in sick one of these days.

Conclusion:

If you buy this TV you will not be disappointed. Unless of course, you are that tech nerd who needs that pixel to be a certain green. Then you might have difficulty but assuming you are a pretty normal average Joe like myself, then have at it! The bang per buck equation for this is definitely THE BEST and I've spent HOURS researching which TV had the most Bang/Buck.

I am completely satisfied and excited about my new TV =)

This concludes my review! Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas!