on October 14, 2013
Panasonic VIERA TC-L55ET5 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV with 4 Pairs of Polarized 3D Glasses (2012 Model)

I bought the Panasonic TC-L55ET5 55-Inch at Frys on 08/08/12 and exactly 1 year and 1 week later there was only sound and no picture. Panasonic offered to extend the warranty for another month and a service company was sent to pull the tv in September and it was determined that the panel was faulty. Now that I am reading other reviews here I see that this is a known problem to Panasonic. It is now October 2013 and after having called them up almost weekly since August all Panasonic can tell me is they have absolutely no idea IF and WHEN the tv can be fixed because they do not know IF and WHEN they will be getting any replacement panels into the US. The panel is made by LG. Apparently, Panasonic tvs are really only LG tvs disguised as Panasonic. A request for a replacement tv was denied, no reason was given. Be warned !! Panasonic is unable and unwilling to deal with this, maybe they are hoping I will just go away and forget I wasted good money on a Panasonic tv that has a lifetime of 1 year.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2012
Received the TV on Monday after ordering it on Friday morning via Amazon Prime.The courier opened the box and checked whether it was working .Needs two people to lift it on its stand which needs a little assembling. The stand is very flimsy and I am not sure it can really hold a 55cm TV vertically for too long. Previous stands with Sharp and Samsung were more robust.The flange which goes inside the TV panel is just a three of inches long and is supposed to support a TV whose height is at least 36 inches !!

Picture quality right out of the box for my Comcast Xfinity cable was too vivid and I calibrated the Picture via the Menu.

My Settings :

Mosquito NR:on
Motion Picture Setting: Medium
Black Level: Light
3:2 pulldown :on
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2012
Bought this tv a few weeks ago. The picture is fantastic after tweaking the picture settings! The blacks are great for an LED lit tv and not much of a flashight effect that you get with some LED tvs. The sound is not bad at all as long as you max out the bass (+15) and turn bass boost on. I also have a sound bar and use that most of the time but can't complain about the sound of the TV. I have xbox 360 hooked up to the TV and see no issue when gaming. Also the 3D on this TV is amazing! I bought Titanic 3D and was blown away! This is a progressive 3D TV not active 3D like all the plasmas and most LCD tvs. Progressive 3D is the only way to go. I have a friend with a 63" Samsung plasma with active 3d and I can't stand it. Active 3D flickers to much, you have to be right in front of the TV and the glasses are very expensive.
Now the reason why I only give three stars is because I'm on my second set. First one had a strange dark spot on the bottom left and white looked purple in that area. I exchanged that and got my new one in today. At first all looked great on my new one but I just noticed a dead pixel in the top middle right of the picture. Its hard to notice but it bugs me that I know its there and can see it if I look hard on bright objects. I don't no if I will keep this second set or not. The picture is fantastic but I just wish it didn't have that one dead pixel. Dead or stuck pixels are a chance you take with all LCD TVs. Amazon has been great with the exchanges and they are great to work with! If you get a good one there is no other LCD LED tv on the market that I can see being any better for image quality. Don't go out and get a 3k tv. This one does it all for a great price! Yes you may get a bad panel but that is the case with all LCD tvs. Oh and just to let you all know there are no LED tvs on the market yet. These tvs are LDC. People think oh LED is better then LCD. Guess what all the LED tvs are actually LCD tvs just with LED lighting. The next technology will be OLED tvs. Those will be actual LED but won't be in a good price range for about five years. I would take this tv over a plasma any day.

Settings that I think are great for this TV.
Back Light 20%
Color mgmt off
CATS off
Video NR off

update......

I ended up calling Amazon today and will be exchanging this one for another. If this third one has issues then I will give up on the ET5.....

update.....
So the third one seems to be working very good and I will be keeping it! Again this is a great tv if you get a good one!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2012
I have had this TV for around a month and have used it enough to provide an informative review.

PROS (too many to list, but here are some):
1. Excellent picture quality of the box and provides nice adjustment features.
2. Passive 3D works great and the 2D to 3D feature works a lot better than I expected.
3. Panasonic Viera Connect has lots of apps (and growing) and the apps work very well.
4. DLNA works but is limited (see below).
5. Plays various file extensions on the USB drive.
6. Built-in wifi and apps eliminate the need to buy external hardware (Google TV, Apple TV). You may still buy one for additional features, but that is different.
7. Smartphone apps to interact with your TV.

CONS:
1. Sound quality is OK. Unfortunately, this seems to be true for most HDTVs around - mediocre audio quality. I will say that it is good for most purposes, but if you are an audiophile, you will want external speakers.
2. If you are using DLNA, it plays few file formats. Most popular file formats (e.g., AVI, MKV) are not directly supported unless you have a media server. Using a media server (e.g., Serviio, Mezzmo) is an option but then you have to transcode almost all files, which introduces additional delays.
3. Even on the USB, the file format supported is limited (although much broader than on DLNA). Again, AVI files are not supported.
4. The built-in browser extends the media capabilities, but it cannot play flash files.
on October 9, 2012
I'm glad I found it. It has "passive" 3D, means no blinking, no heavy and expensive glasses, no batteries to charge... and it's panasonic, not lg/visio!... Excellent picture quality, in both 2d/3d. 3D with glasses and 3d blu ray content is perfect. Don't see much value in 2d-3d conversion, but someone else may think differently... Excellent remote with large lighted buttons. Another good thing - Viera link to control connected panasonic blu ray and audio devices with a single tv remote. Wifi Internet is fast, no issues streaming HD video from Amazon. SD card reader. Skype works just fine (I had to buy optional camera, it's a bit pricey but it's ok, since I saved so much on TV... ).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS TV! I purchased this TV brand new from Amazon and was incredibly excited to upgrade my home television experience. At first everything was great however as they say the true test of a company is how they ha doe an issue. My TV recently stopped working (vertical white lines on the screen and choppy video playback); I figured no big deal it is still covered under warranty must be one defective unit. It has now been two weeks and they still have no idea when the TV will be repaired. The TV needs a new panel however that item is back ordered; in fact the TV repair company who is contracted by Panasonic let me know they have 25 identical TVs with the exact same issue. Panasonic is scrambling to try and find replacement panels however none are still available. One would figure at this point Panasonic would accept the blame and send you a new TV.....WRONG. They continue to stand by their warranty where it states it is up to them if they want to replace the TV or not and I will have to continue to wait until they can find a replacement part! I recommend you spend a little bit more money and go with a Samsung. The smart TV functionality is much more user friendly compared to the panasonic and I haven't had any issues with the model I purchased for the bedroom.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 29, 2012
We purchased this set after returning the disappointing Vizio M3D470KD 3D TV.

We love this set. Here's why.

The Picture:
The picture was gorgeous, right out of the box. We had no need to tweak the default settings. The quality of the picture is truly astonishing.
We may be part of that fringe group of viewers who love the SOE, "soap opera effect." We like our TV picture to be as lifelike and "live" as possible, so to watch a movie that appears like live TV is a treat. We see no reason to degrade the image so it looks like a movie. If my wife is watching TV I have to ask her if it is a movie or live because I can't tell by just looking at the screen. Maybe SOE should be renamed LTVE, Live TV Effect. Love that LTVE effect!

3D:
The 3D is excellent. 3D really does add to the enjoyment of, well, anything. If you are wondering if 3D is worth the additional cost, the answer is YES. Provided you have a source for 3D programming.

3D Glasses:
The four included 3D glasses are well made. They are a different shape from the usual 3D glasses, which makes them more comfortable for prolong use, even over the eyeglasses which we both wear.

The Remote:
The remote is a good size, well-balanced with buttons intelligently sized and placed. For example, the mute button is just above the volume control buttons. The buttons are backlit for five seconds when a light button is pressed.

The controls are easy and natural. The set is well designed ergonomically.

One major annoyance in the Vizio TV was that you had to manually tell the TV that the image was in 3D, then tell it which type of 3D, then say yes, you really do want to view it in 3D before it would present the image in 3D. This Panasonic is smart enough to figure out the type of image, 3D or 2D, and then present it in that format without user intervention. The process is automatic. In both directions.
Also, this TV does not get confused and freeze up when I am quick on the remote buttons as the Vizio did.

Wi-Fi:
I can't comment on the Wi-Fi since I don't use it on the TV, other than to say it successfully found my Wi-Fi channel and gave me access. I may use it in the future.

Speakers:
The speakers are adequate for us, providing clear speech and decent music. The TV is in a bedroom and sounds fine in that room. If you want movie theater sound you probably need an external speaker system.

One negative is that the TV does not have an output jack for analog audio, such as a headphone. Only a digital audio jack.

The manual:
Panasonic does provide a printed (gasp) manual to use in assembling the base and setting up your TV. Detailed drawings of various possible connections are included. The TV is super easy to setup, essentially plugging it in and connecting to your TV source. That's it. The default picture needs no adjusting, but adjustments are available in you want to play around. A 199 page manual is available online. But you don't really need it.

It was work to repack and return the Vizio TV using Amazon's free 30 day trial period (although Amazon was great, as usual, and credited us the full purchase price on the very next day after they received the return), but it did let us see how much better this Panasonic is and appreciate it so much more. I am actually grateful that we had problems with the Vizio else we might never have discovered this Panasonic.

Packaging:
The TV arrived in perfect condition, expertly packed with heavy tape holding the base safely away from the TV.

Delivery:
Amazon used Ceva for the delivery. Ceva lets you give them a time window for the delivery. We selected the 9:00 AM to noon window so we would be dressed and finished with breakfast before their arrival. However, they rang our doorbell at 8:00 AM, just as we sat down to breakfast. Inconvenient.
The box was in perfect condition with no gouges or punctures.

Repacking the TV in the box in the future if we need to will be a chore. I snapped several pictures as we unpacked the box so we can reverse the process if we ever need to. I saved printed copies of the pictures inside the box which we stored away.

In conclusion:
We have enjoyed this TV since July 16th. We like everything about it and obviously intend to keep it at the end of our 30 day trial. If anything happens that changes our minds, I will post an update. I will also post an update if I discover anything else that you should know about.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2012
Right out of the box this TV looked pretty good. With only a few adjustments the picture quality was excellent. Clear and vibrant colors with decent black level...not quite the intensity of my plasma TV. Also, very good motion viewing...again, not as clear as my plasma TV. I noticed, even when viewing a still/stationary scene, the background motion was not clear/crisp. e.g. trees rustling in background appear a bit fuzzy. These are minor issues only noticeable when really looking.

This TV also lives up to its "Smart" capabilities by connecting to a wireless network seamlessly with the standard Internet applications. Netflix and Amazon Prime both play well with easy to navigate controls. There are other VOD choices as well as many other applications including Skype. There is a pretty good WEB browser...the best integrated TV browser I've used. I use the IOGEAR GKM681R 2.4GHz Wireless Compact Keyboard with Optical Trackball and Scroll Wheel (Silver/Black) which works very well with the browser...much better than the standard IR remote. Also, its DLNA (Home Networking) is a nice feature allowing you to access and play your media files directly from your computer.

I was impressed with the 3D viewing on this TV too. Very bright picture quality with good "pop-out" capability paired with the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player. The 3D glasses (4 pairs included) are lightweight and comfortable. I also found that the Real 3D glasses from the theater work too...I inadvertently had brought a pair home and, out of curiosity, tried them with this TV and they worked perfectly.

The only negative issue I really have with this TV is the sound quality. Not so much that it has no "depth" but, it just doesn't get quite loud enough. This is mostly true with TV viewing because VOD sounds much better and even the DLNA and USB/SD Card volume levels are okay. I made this better by using the CE Compass Digital SPDIF / Coaxial to Analog L/R RCA Audio Decoder w/ 3.5mm Headphone Jack to connect to my (older) analog stereo.

*FYI: This TV requires an audio DECODER to connect to standard RCA (L/R) stereo connections. I tried a simple converter but learned the converter can only convert PCM/LPCM signals where this TV can only output Dolby/DTS signals which need to be "decoded".

Overall, I am very happy with this TV and for less than $600.00, I don't think you will find a better value. I'll even say for $800.00 this TV is worth it.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 6, 2012
Unreal! Can't believe the quality of the TV for the price we got it for! The 3D funtionality is awesome. I can't even think of one thing that is wrong with it! The designers did a great job on this one!
on November 18, 2014
I've had tv for just over two years and it just broke down. The main board needs to be replaced at a cost of $375. Prior to this, I was very happy with picture and performance, but obviously very disappointed at the short life. I have older Vizio and LG televisions, so going to look at replacing with one of those models.