4.0 out of 5 stars great tv with a great value.
Published on November 6, 2010 by rb

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the picture, but have had problems with this TV
Published on July 25, 2010 by JAMES E

4.0 out of 5 stars great tv with a great value., November 6, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic TC-L42U25 42-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Electronics)
first 1080p tv. bought from bestbuy so as expected we paid about $80 more from what is the listed price here on amazon. out of the box, tv looks ok. i've seen lots of tv's with prettier bezel than this from other brands. but not really a big deal. looking at it from the sides, its obvious that it is abit thicker (maybe 3in) than those upscale lcds or led-lcd's(note an LED tv is just a LCD tv but with a different back lighting). still its fine for me, i was like "does a TV 2in thicker make our living room that much crowded?" well no. so overall i was pleased with the tv's aesthetics.

this TV is heavy btw. i just use the tv stand provided. the tv stand doesnt swivel btw. and surprisingly you dont need a swivel stand on this tv. i will explain later. so we pluged all the cable connections. we turned on the tv. did the "first set-up"(if you made a mistakeor want to change something you can just comeback thru the tv menu).

so we finally saw how the tv's picture looks like in manufacturer setting. the way i could judge the manufacturers settings in general (vivid,normal,cinema,game,custom) i think it is somewhat between OK and terrible. its either too bright, too dark or just doesnt suit to your likes. you really need to take time and play with its settings for a long time.i just tweaked the "custom"picture and left everthing else as it is.

playing with its settings, i thought the settings menu is not as optionated(or finely detailed) as the other high-end tv's. but its fine with me. at least you can calibrate the options that really makes the difference.

so after hours of calibrating the tv, we finally got over it. and i liked what i saw. the tv's picture quality is very comparable to those priced way more than this. the viewing angle is plasma like, very wide. the picture looks very good even from the wider angles. you will not even need swivel stands(but still having that would be better). i watched football and basketball on espnhd and it looked great, the colors are very acurate and you can see the benifits of having a 120hz refresh rate(i think a 60hz is ok, but a 240hz imo is just not worth it[thats just me]). HBOhd, hd movies and boxing looks fantastic. HD channels looks awesome and will make you think you got more than you paid for. i cant say the same for SD channels, well its just sd anyways. (i heard bravia with its "bravia engine" improves SD qualities better than this, but idk maybe its just a sony marketting gimmick and like $250 more). sound from this tv was good enough for me, very clear. overall we are very happy with the tv's performance. like brett favre said on his commercial "you will pay more but you wont get more". this tv definitely has a great balance between price and picture quality.

other things about this tv:
has 3 HDMI inputs(2 back, 1 side)
a SD card slot(uncommon for many sub $700 tv's, tho i prefer having a USB port instead of this)
PC input
ole RCA cable input
speakers are at the bottom.
takes about 5secs to show picture after pressing power button.

and oh dont get ripped off by buying those $40 HDMI cables.. $15 for a HDMI cable is actually too much.

so my preliminary review ends here. i will update this in the future..

UPDATE****11-07-2010****
initially gave the tv 5 stars. now its 4. though personally i will give this tv 4.5 stars.(rounding it to 5 seems too much, the tv isnt perfect)
the picture quality is great, i see some moments where i think the color(red) is a bit off, its just i cant seem to find the right balance in the settings. im still in the process of tweaking the settings.

*****12-03-2010*****
i have noticed that at times the feature "Motion pro 4" is better turned off. and as the other reviewer has stated, it doesnt have a 1:1 pixel mapping on 720p. and as a result of this you can only view about 95% of the picture.. it is like the tv zooms in on 720p images, so you cant see the 5% of the pictures edges.. 5% loss of viewing area may seem unnoticeable, but its not. when i noticed this its a bit surprising how much picture is lost. but with all that said im still very fine with this tv.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the picture, but have had problems with this TV, July 25, 2010
I bought this TV 3 weeks ago. It was very easy to integrate it into an existing home theater set up. The picture was very dark from day 1. I found the filters in the Menu and turned them off and the picture improved nicely. But I found that everything on the screen was too green. No matter how much I fiddled with the available color menu I couldn't get the green out. I contacted [...] and chatted with one of their CSRs. He walked me through a reset of the TV that wasn't available in the Menu. It involved pushing the menu button on the remote while holding down the volume down button on the TV, then unplug the TV for a minute or so. This did reset the color in the TV and I now have a beautiful picture. A few days later the TV began shutting it self off every 3 hours. I haven't used any timers in the menu so I may have to contact Panasonic again. Panasonic was very helpful with my previous color problem so that is a great relief. I am wary of the software for this TV. I also found the Viera link through HDMI that controls linked items like a DVD player can be a problem as it can or will reset the linked item from what it was originally set to on the items remote control. I shut off the Viera link and the problem went away. I have always liked and bought Panasonic products for their reliability and quality but feel somewhat let down by the issues I have had so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice for the price- UPDATE, June 27, 2010
JJ (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I got this to replace a similiar hitachi that I had for just a few days. The hitachi had backlighting issues where the top corners had the flashlight effect and it was very annoying during dark scenes. The hitachi did have a beautiful picture other than this one issue.

This Panny does not suffer from such problems. It has a great picture, same features and very nice sound for built in speakers.
The remote is very solid (compared to the Hitachi's that felt very cheap). I am very pleased with this purchase. While it's not an LED I was unable to see a difference at the stores when it was side by side, in fact, I was forcing myself to see a difference in the LED models but was unable too.

You can not go wrong with this TV. I am very picky about my electronics, especially video and this TV has a nice picture, no flaws, no bad pixels, no backlight bleeding etc. I was debating between this and the plasma's but personally I do not like the picture quality on a plasma. I know they are supposed to be superior but I find the quality to be softer than LCD. Also, on the plasma's, if you look closely you do see the screen door effect on the screen whereas the LCD's have a smooth, clear screen. This is jut my opinion and personally prefer LCD vs Plasma but Plasma has it's share of fans.

edit 7/30
I initially gave this 5 stars but after comparing it more and more to my other tv's and the one it replaced (Hitachi that had banding issues) the picture is a bit softer than my other HDTV's. Don't get me wrong, its clear but not as sharp as the other tv's no matter how much I played with the settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value. Great picture quality., January 7, 2011
Bob B. (PORTSMOUTH, US) - See all my reviews
I actually purchased this @ Sears on 11/14/10. They were running their Friends and Family sale. I got it for $675 plus a rebate of $75 and a free Panasonic Home Theater System ($200 retail value-but like getting it for $100 if I had been able to take advantage of this deal @$500). I searched for about a month before making the purchase. What put me over the edge on this one was the Consumer Reports rating and the price/Home Theater bonus. I am extremely happy with the performance. I, like some other posters, had to spend some major time in getting the picture settings where I wanted them. Once that was accomplished I could not complain about anything. Picture quality is great, black level is wonderful. Crystal clear... everything. Perfect for sporting events, gaming and HD shows/movies. Even my Roku (Netflix) has improved picture quality. Rated everything a 5 except for 2 things. Inputs (would have been nice to have @ least 4 HDMI instead of the 3) but only because I have a DVR with a hard drive that burns DVD's as well as the one for the cable co., which only stores for viewing. I have to share the Netflix HDMI input with the PS3. Also response time I rated a 4. When first turning on or changing inputs there is a delay of about 10-15 seconds that I am not used to. Overall I am extremely pleased with my purchase. 94 rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, December 31, 2010
gforce2 (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned this TV for about a month and just love it. The colors are very clear and vibrant and the speaker sound is great all by itself. Since we owned a surround sound system with our other TV. I did hook it up to that and it is even more awesome. There are plenty of connections to play everything I have. I think if anyone purchases this set, they will be happy with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The good -the bad-the ugly, December 29, 2010
Price:best around
pros:Great picture,good remote,easy setup
Cons:Wayto much time to adjust for best effect.
Could have better contrast and sound.
Preset settings groups unusable-very bright or very dim.
In short a good TV that could have been a great TV

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget TV., January 15, 2011
I like to state in my reviews that I am no expert. I am not a so called expert when it comes to AV equipment. However, I am well versed in technology and try to keep up with tech aspects. As such, I think my review would be suited for regular folks trying to get the best bang for their buck.

Lets be honest. The biggest issue that people need to be concerned about when making TV purchases needs to the the picture quality. Tones and colors that are natural, not too bright and accurately reproduced for the various sources such as DVD players etc. This HDTV does just that. The colors are 'natural' and definitely up there with the more expensive units. Before buying this, I did a little research and was dismayed at the dismal rating from CNET, yet Consumer Reports gave it a nice grade. (4.1/5). It is apparent that CNET may be out of touch with things because the PQ on this TV is great. Yes, the 'Darks' are not as dark as the bezel on the TV or on a $3000 Pioneer 'Kuro' plasma TV, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad.The black levels are acceptable in my opinion. If you are looking at reviews, keep your needs in mind, as a must have feature for one may not be that important to the other.
CNET also fails to take into consideration that this is one of the few TVs at this price point ($500 as of Jan 2011)that has an IPS(in plane switching) panel. Whether you sit 30 degrees from the direct front of the TV, or on the floor at a lower level from the TV. You still get great viewing angles. I think this is an important feature especially when you have company over for games or something.

Point #2. The 'viera link', similar to CEC, RIHD or a myriad of other industry names like Anynet for samsung and so on. I have an onkyo receiver with HDMI 1.3 inputs and outputs. Viera link is not just for 'Panasonic' branded devices. I spent a little time looking at my manual and successfully programmed in my TV to the receiver remote and can successfully control both the TV and receiver simultaneously. Importance? Let's say you are done watching a movie and need to go to bed. The viera link feature allows me to use the compatible device's remote (or the TV remote) to turn off the receiver, TV and dvd player with one button. The same goes for turning it on. . I know the harmony one does this, but given the option you obviously saves you $$. This for me if by far the most important discovery so far.

What else it does,
well, nothing fancy really. No LAN connection, no 'apps' that stream music, and no Netflix. No worry. I have a HDMI equipped laptop and the connection is seamless. I can watch hulu and ESPN3 on HD, with a widescreen aspect that looks great. You can also stream Amazon Video on demand, and I feel that this gives me greater power and flexibility with my sources than an internet equipped TV would. Next step,get a Netflix subscription.

Some shortfalls

Like any other TV this one has its own issues. First, the TV does not have analog audio inputs. This means that you cannot connect your 3.5mm headphones or devices. It also doesn't have RCA audio outputs as well. Your only option is through an optical cable or an HDMI cable. Not good for those with older devices like phonographs...(lol)
It has 3 HDMI inputs, one less than what I think is the industry standard. Not really a big deal, especially since my receiver has additional inputs, but if you done have a receiver, it is easy to see how quickly these can fill up. Cable box, Xbox, PS3, DVD player and laptop to name a few. Not a big deal. If its really that important, you could get a switcher, or use component cables.

Swivel. The TV does not swivel on its stand. Another 'standard' feature i feel most HDTVs should have. However, like I pointed out, this TV has an IPS screen which mitigates, to a large extent, the need for the swivel capability.

Overall, I am extremely happy about this purchase,especially being my first HDTV. The only reason I couldn't give the fifth star was becasue of the lask of analog audio outputs and the lack of a fourth HDMI input. Not deal breakers by any means but standard features none-the-less.

EDIT** Someone pointed out to me that the review on CNET is actually from a consumer and not an 'official CNET' review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of what's available on Amazon, Costco, and Sam's Club right now in the under $600 range for a 42" LCD with 120 htz, January 10, 2011
The best deal I found at Costco (around 1/5/11) was a Vizio 42" e421a for $479 (120 htz). I took it back. It had no composite inputs and you could hardly adjust anything with the picture.

This is a much better deal and it has many more features (you can turn on and off the smooth motion). Picture quality is much better than similar featured Vizio's. Saw this TV on sale at Best Buy for $729.00.

Also, I use this TV as a TV/monitor and the Vizio had to be set in game mode or the mouse would lag, have no problems with this unit. I can set it in any mode with no problems and I use a HDMI connected not the VGA.

I don't like that the SPDIF out doesn't tranfer the sound as 5.1 unless I run it straight to the receiver.

Best of what's available on Amazon, Costco, and Sam's Club right now in the under $600 range for a 42" LCD with 120 htz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, November 16, 2010
The TV is beautiful! The picture is awesome and it was easy to set up. I had no problem connecting all our components. Very simple. I found it easier than it used to be connecting TV's to VCRs, DVDs, surround sound etc.

I read prior reviews about the sound not being good. But we hooked it directly to a soundbar and have not used the sound on the TV, so I did not rate the sound.

We also don't use video games so I did not rate that.

Excellent buy and excellent price. I found it cheaper on Amazon than any other site or store and I looked for a month.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I wanted for a price I didnt imagine, January 19, 2011
I've been in the market for a new television for the last 2-3 years but never considered it a priority to make the purchase. The reason why is I have 2 SDTVs that just won't die (not that I'm complaining). One is a 17 year-old Proscan 36", the other is an 8 year-old Sony Trinitron 24". I'm not one to trash perfectly good and working technology if I can find a use for it.

Anyway, I'm a big gamer. Last year Mass Effect 2 hit the stores. Long story short, I couldn't read the font in the game and didn't plan to kill my eyes doing so. The game's font had been selected with no real regard for SDTV. Could I blame the designers? Not really. HD technology isn't necessarily new and cutting edge anymore; and a lot of people have them. Did I want to go out and just grab a new HDTV for a video game? Definitely not. I did however, start watching the HD scene, doing my research and saving a little cash here and there for a year.

The last few months I had my eyes on a few sets: Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX500, Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX500, LG 42LD520, LG 42LD550... I had very specific specifications I wanted met as well.

Then, on January 7th, Amazon had Panasonic's TC-L42U25 up for "deal of the day" at $499. I had considered Panasonic plasma at one point and completely overlooked the LCDs. After a few hours of research, I pulled the trigger and am satisfied with the purchase.

Phew, enough back story, time for a review.

Panasonic's TC-L42U25 is a 42-inch (42' screen measured diagonally) HDTV LCD. The setup is 1080p Full HD Resolution. Features include 120 Hz Motion Picture Pro 4; 24p Smooth film; three HDMI connections and a PC input.

1)Picture quality -

Out of the box, the picture will be bright and vibrant. First time setup is quick and easy. The settings are easily changed (in case you don't agree) through the menu.

The setting options for the television are not extensive, but they aren't simple either. You'll have a good amount of control over picture display options. Turning the ambient light option (C.A.T.S.) off, for instance, may be a good idea if your television is in a room that gets sunlight but not a lot directly. With C.A.T.S. on, the back light was not bright enough with the ambient sunlight. I can see a lot of use for C.A.T.S. when viewing a movie at night on this set however.

Aside from that, you will also have default programmed settings to choose from (Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game and Custom). Select one then tweak it to your liking by decreasing or increasing the contrast, sharpness, color, etc. Color Temp has three settings of course (Cool, Warm and Normal) so you can slightly alter the overall tint of the screen.

Other important settings are: Video NR, MPEG NR, and the screen format. I don't claim to be an expert with HDTVs as this is my first one, but the the first two settings I listed helped to clear up what I'm thinking were "artifacts" in my display while playing certain games. Very helpful as those "blocky", snow-like outlines around some moving images were bothersome at times.

Setting your screen format to "Full" with "HD Size 2" is also recommended for the best viewing image in my opinion. Other reviewers have mentioned the missing 5% of the screen... "Full" with "HD Size 2" prevents that in regards to gaming.

2) Appearance -

Sleek design. All Black.

The stand is oval in shape. I found this nice since I was placing the television on a coffee table with a circular glass top. A nice compliment. The stand is also sturdy and does not swivel but, the viewing angles are great thanks to the IPS Panel. So a swiveling stand is not needed. The television's buttons are on the right-side of the set as you're facing the screen (for folks that plan to mount or place the television in a nook).

3) Inputs -

Most of your inputs will be on the back of the television of course (2 HDMI, components, VGA, composite, etc.). The left-side of the television sports a SD Card slot (for people that want to use the set as a huge digital picture frame), a composite and a HDMI connection. The PC input on the back-side of the television was perfect for me since I want to have that option. I doubt many (if any) sets in the future will have this option since HDMI is becoming standard on newer computer video cards. PC input allows me to connect older rigs and laptops without the need to update the hardware. Great!

4) Black level -

The television's black level is excellent. It is not faded or washed out in the least. To top it off, there seems to be a few settings that will allow you to intensify the black level as well; making darker areas richer. The A.I. Picture setting can be turned on or off an will enrich the black/darker areas of your picture. A separate setting (Black Level) allows you to darken or lighten the screen. From quick observation, this setting alters the whole screen by either changing the backlight brightness slightly or just changing the picture brightness all at once (same thing as tweaking the brightness yourself in the menu).

5) Remote control -

Its a remote. I'm not picky about it as long as it works. I didn't buy the television to admire the remote.

6) Response time -

Overall, the response time is good

7) Sharpness -

Sharpness is great.

8) Gaming -

I purchased this television specifically for gaming and movies. I can't speak on how it handles a cable feed in any form. For gaming however, this is an excellent buy. The detail is crisp and the television delivers in regards to response, color and brightness.

9) Sound quality -

I do not use the television's speakers so I can't offer a honest opinion on performance. I have a separate system dedicated to audio connected. On that note, I have seen reviewers put down the sound quality of many HDTVs in general. Folks need to understand that most HDTVs don't have the room to accommodate quality speakers in their slim designs. Quality Audio is NOT what these televisions were designed for. There are other sets of equipment specifically designed for sound.

Final Note --

Great set! Very happy! And I can read the font no problem now!

I definitely recommend this television to anyone looking for a nice gaming HDTV.

Considering the specs: 120Hz refresh & 1080p, this television is really a steal at the price Amazon has it listed for (even now). I'd recommend this television to anyone wanting a great HDTV for a bargain price.

ARRAY(0xa9389888)