4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camcorder, included software needs work
I have shot two youth football games so far. I use a monopod since my arms get tired shooting a 2 hour game. The Panasonic OIS is fantastic and the 42X is a must-have if you are looking to shoot sports. With the OIS and 42X I can reach out to my Grandson while in play and can fill the frame easy. The OIS is rock steady too, even out to 42X. Amazing!

After...
Published on October 1, 2012 by ioutu

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really 1080p
I got this camera from another store and am returning it after a few days (see the Cons for my reasons). Also, Amazon has falsely labelled it as 1080p, but it is really 1080i (Look up what that means if you don't know).

Pros:
Published 23 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camcorder, included software needs work, October 1, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic V100M 42x Intelligent Zoom HD Camcorder with 16GB Built in Memory (Black) (Electronics)

After post-processing my first game shooting in iA (intelligent auto) the first thing I noticed playing the video back on the HDTV was the wind noise. It was a bit breezy the day of the game but it was unacceptable so I tuned the sound down on the TV and we had fun watching the game. Play the video through a Playstation 3 and you can do fun stuff like instant reply and slow motion forward and back.

I shot the second game in manual mode but have not had time to play the video yet to see if the sound is better. Turns out in iA mode the wind-cut feature is turned off. Read the manual thoroughly before heading out to capture your first video.

The included software leaves much to be desired. I had to try several attempts to get my PC to recognize that camcorder was attached via USB so I could copy the files to the PC. I had to switch to a differnet USB port and than I got a connection. I have yet to figure out how to string all the video clips into one contiguous video stream so the entire game is merged together into one large file. So for now I have to select each video clip to watch that segment. More reading in the software on-line manual is required. The whole process to copy the files to the PC than to burn the video in high def to a DVD took at least an hour. The files are large in the highest resolution. As far as I can tell I can't burn direct to DVD with the camcorder connected via the USB. As far as I can determine so far it's a 2 step process, camcorder to PC - PC to DVD.

As for additional accessories I purchased from Amazon;
1-Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDHC10).
1-Panasonic HC-V100M Camcorder AV / HDMI Cable 3' HDMI to Mini HDMI - High Speed HDMI Transfer.
1-VW-VBK360 Lithium-ion Battery - Ultra High Capacity (3800 mAh 3.7V) - Replacement for the Panasonic VW-VBK360 Camcorder Battery.

You don't need to 32GB battery but it's nice to copy your captured video on the internal 16GB memory off to the 32GB removeable card so you can free up the internal memory if you don't have time to transfer to your PC right away. You don't need the HDMI cable unless you want to watch video direct from the camcorder to your HDMI compatable TV. The higher capacity battery is nice as I now have over 5 hrs of shooting time. These accessories are nice to have to round out your AV system.

I'm out of time but will return to give additional feedback as I continue to expand my knowledge of the Panasonic V100MK video camcorder and included LE software. All-in-all I would recommend the Panasonic V100MK video camcorder. It's very light and small and the LCD is plenty bright even in bright sunlight. I'm not an expert but the final output on my 1080P HDTV is great. I don't need anything better. Once I figure out the sound piece I should be good-to-go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really 1080p, November 10, 2012

Pros:
I love all of the features and menu options that this camera provides. It also has a great battery life (due to it not being a touchscreen). It will last all day if you keep the lcd panel closed (to put it into stand-by) when not in use. It is also very easy to connect the cables to a tv and view the video. If you plan on filming 16:9 widescreen, you have to use the component cables to watch it on your hdtv. That results in 5 connected cables total (3 component for video, 2 for sound). If you film in 4:3 standard, you only have to connect the 3 standard cables. The usb connection is also easy to use. You can drag and drop the files off of the camera onto the computer without any issues.

Cons:
I shot several videos in different lighting situations and uploaded it to my computer. Playing back the video on a higher resolution monitor revealed that the camera doesn't shoot high quality video. Image quality is very smudgy looking if you plan on filming anything that moves. I'm not talking about the auto stabilization - that works great. Panasonic advertises it with a 1.5MP sensor. Think about your really old digital camera that had a 1.5MP sensor. That is what the video looks like when you pause it. There are not enough pixels for it to be shooting 1080 pixels vertically (nevermind the fact that 1080i only does half of the pixels at a time). It smooths out or guesses what the rest of the pixels should look like - resulting in video that looks bad.

Other:
I originally didn't even care if the video shot in 1080 resolution, because I was planning on only keeping it as a down-scaled 720p. However, the video this camera produces does not do well in down-conversion, and the video quality only worsens. If you don't plan on doing very much editing to your video before burning it to something simple like a dvd, then this camera would work fine. I wouldn't plan on doing any HD youtube videos or blu-ray discs though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chosen to replace a Sony, March 28, 2013
I chose this camcorder to replace a nine year old Sony Digital 8 TRV-140 Handi-Cam. Sony ceased support for its product and had no updated drivers for Windows Vista or Windows 7. Needless to say I was disappointed and began shopping for a replacement. I did three weeks of extensive research before purchasing the Panasonic V100M from Amazon.com. I read everything concerning this camcorder from the Panasonic site. I also compared specifications and both customer and professional reviews, YouTube reviews and sample video. I downloaded owners manuals and devoured every detail for units in the $180 to $300 price range from JVC, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and Toshiba. While other units had same or similar (but not all) specs and features, the Panasonic V100M seemed, dollar for dollar, the best specification and cost vs feature value. The battery life is very good, It features 16 GB of onboard memory which most in its class lack. It also has an sd slot for extra recording capacity. The video output is crystal clear and sharp and looks awesome on my 42 inch hd television. Also, the sound is very good. Its menu is straight forward and simple to navigate. Most of the negative reviews that I have read seem to be based on unrealistic expectations for a device in the V100M's price range. For me it more than meets my needs and expectations. I recommend it highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars HD recording is Panasonic Proprietary, August 30, 2013
My stepdaughter has started to get into videos and I thought this might give her more creativity than the video recorder in her pocket camera. Well, the first thing we discovered is the HD format is in Panasonic's own format and not a universal format like mpeg or mp4. It won't work with PC video editor that comes with your PC. You have to downgrade the resolution to the Apple format, which is somewhere between HD and SD. The camera itself is very small and compact. However, if I had to do it it all over again, I'd get an HD format, which is not proprietary. However, it is a quality product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera for 240 bucks..., August 10, 2012
Video quality is alright... audio quality is excellent. Lightweight, and easy to use. :) I would recommend this camera to anyone interested.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so Good, February 6, 2013
Amazon Customer "Zac's Mom" (West Carrollton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I read a TON of reviews for a ton of cameras and landed on the V100MK. I bought it for the huge zoom. Playing with the zoom features I found that you can zoom in 2000 times using the digital. Probably not very useful, but the night I got it the moon was full and so clear, I zoomed in and could see everything I wanted to see - very clearly - it was like I was there! well, maybe not, but I was very impressed that I could make out different landscape features. Using the 2000x zoom produced blurry results, but I didn't play with that too much.
My first use was to film a commercial for church, which was very fun. Like other reviewers, I wasn't very impressed with the editing software and opted for my PC Windows media player editor which worked ok for my purposes.
I would have liked more information on recording formats. Apparently I should have recorded everything in the iFilm format even though I have a PC. I gave the downloaded files to my friend, who couldn't open them at all.
Anyhow, you can watch the video I shot and edited here [...]
Keep in mind, this was shot 2 days after I got the camera and I have absolutely no experience filming anything.
So, overall, I'm impressed. If you want to shoot your average everyday stuff that we all like to shoot - this is an excellent camera.
I'll update as I play with it more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camcorder for this Non-Camcorder person!, July 29, 2013
I have a lot of experience with still cameras, both film and digital, but not much experience with video. This is a really good starter camera.

It is HD, so it's a good picture. Looks great on the TV! It is very, very small, nice for my smaller hands. Long zoom, good stabilizer control, good sound, good picture in low light. GOOD PRICE!

Best of all, it was easy to figure out. IT comes with a manual (a printed booklet) and I perused it, but wanted to see how much I could figure out without consulting the book. It was very straightforward and simple.

If you are an old video pro this is probably too basic a camcorder for you. But if you're starting out and don't want to spend a bundle, or if you have a child who wants to start a video hobby, this would be a great camcorder. It has a lot of positive features.

The only negative from my point of view, was that the RECORD button is in an awkward position - I had to push it with the side of my thumb. Maybe that keeps it from being accidentally fired.

I bought the extra large battery too. Both batteries give good time.

Very pleased, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic camcorder, August 25, 2013
This is the second one we have bought to film games with. The zoom is great, with a good class 10 memory card the video quality is outstanding and you certainly can't beat the price. We paid $350 the first time and came back a year later for a second backup camera and the price dropped to $150. Would have paid 350 again if we had to. Well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful , low quality camera, July 9, 2013
this camera broke down after only few uses(no physical damage) and the screen turned black , unable to record or play previous videos, we called Panasonic and were informed that camera have to be mailed to Texas( no local repairs centers) ,on top of that after 11 days the repair center in Texas called to inform us that a labor payment for 111.50 usd was needed on advance to start repairing camera, cause Panasonic warranty does not cover labor. This is my second Panasonic and the previous one gave me many problems also , thanks god that one was covered by best buy warranty , Do yourself a favor and buy Canon or Sony or any other brand Panasonic quality is very low and the warranty is a joke .

4.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use, December 13, 2012
When I received this camera, I was very suprised at how small and light it is. I was concerned of breaking it. The camera actually fits in my chino front pockets. The camera is very easy to use. I had purchased the 32Gig SD card with it. I have used the camera for wrestling meets and will soon use it for basketball games. At this point, I have no complaints.