5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv for the Price!
Published on May 7, 2012 by JR

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre TV, step down from 2011 models
Given positive experiences with the 2011 Panasonic models, I chose this budget 42" model. I'm not that impressed with it to be honest.

Published on September 16, 2012 by Smart Shopper CA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv for the Price!, May 7, 2012
JR (Plymouth, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L42U5 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz Full HD LCD TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
The previous reviewer got this tv from the same place I did. Sears had the best price for this size tv after I checked around. I was impressed with the service I got there as well. Panasonic is a quality name and is tops for trouble free manufacturers for tv's, and this one has a great picture for my needs. Since I got an HDTV cable box the image is crystal clear. I also think the sound quality is great. It's not a fancy tv with LED or 120MHz, or wifi capabilty, but those tv's cost a lot more. But for a non-LED this screen is thin. As for 60MHZ vs. 120, you may notice a difference, but I don't think it's worth paying extra to avoid the occasional jitter. If you want streaming you are better of with getting another device for this such as a PS3. Many reviewers with wifi capable tv's built in complain they don't work well or need adapters anyway. For my needs this tv is first class. I love Amazon, but they don't always have the best price.

5.0 out of 5 stars great TV!!!, June 11, 2012
Bought this TV 2 days ago for Euro 2012. Before I bought this TV, I can't find enough comments and reviews. But I was confident it's a good TV when I was comparing with another TVs (Samsung, Sony, LG) in the store. The color is so natural, screen isn't too bright which you could watch for a long time and won't feel tired. I also worried about the 60Hz, but I am so happy now after watching all kinds of sports including hockey, football, soccer without notice any motion blur. Sales person always tell you to go for 120Hz but not this one. Setting is easy, color is right on using the default setting. Volume is loud even in a living room - I use only one third of the max. As a picky web designer, I am suprise I can find a great LCD TV for this price! Trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Fourth Panasonic HD!, April 30, 2012
This is my forth Panasonic HD (all are still in use) so I was not looking to spend alot of money. Got this from Sears today for $500. The picture is great for cable TV. You would not notice the 60MHz blurs unless someone told you to look for them. No problems at all with the viewing angle. It does not have internet access but if you have PS3 or a Roku, you're all set. I looked at several brands in the store and the pictures all look the same - the only difference between them is price and quality. If your budget is $500, this is the one to get!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaming and Sports, June 17, 2012
I won't pay a monthly cable/satellite bill, and stream all my media content to the tv through an xbox and tablet. Shopping for tv's I was very impressed with Panasonic's LCD HD picture but most of their television had high end features that were superfluous, like integrated wifi and apps, and were too expensive. Finding this quality of a picture, from a quality manufacture, at 42" of LCD tv, for $500.00 is good deal. After a couple weeks of gaming, watching the Kings, and now the NBA finals, I love the picture! Sports and gaming really look nice on this tv.

My only complaint, probably should be taken with a grain of salt as I am a musician and serious music aficionado, is the sound quality is unimpressive and lacks bass. I've been turning the volume up quite a bit up to hear the commentary over the crowd noise. The bass seems thin when streaming music or movies, but then again this was only $500.00 tv and its not intended to have stand-alone quality sound.

After upgrading with a refurb Sharp SB600 sound bar and woofer the sound issue is gone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre TV, step down from 2011 models, September 16, 2012

2011 models had IPS panel screens which offer deep blacks, uniform image quality, and excellent viewing angles. This TV however doesn't have these advantages. Black looks gray or even green tinged at times, and the problem is worse as you move to the sides. If you look at a solid background you can see the edges of the screen having brighter areas than the center.

In HD mode the picture is very good but for simple digital and analog channels the picture is very grainy. I spent quite a bit of time adjusting settings to get a satisfactory picture. The remote it comes with is very poor and some buttons were unresponsive right out of the box.

Given the price, it was an ok buy, but with Sony and Samsung models dropping in price, spend an extra $50-100 and get a much nicer TV. From the reviews I've seen, Panasonic missed the mark this year with this model as well as the LED screens, probably to save cost. I hope they shape up again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and Affordable, June 9, 2012
Evan (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
We have been on the lookout for a new HDTV to replace our 7 year old EDTV for a while now. After several months of research, we purchased a Samsung LED but after a few days, we hated it and returned it. Back to the drawing board. We wanted to stick with Panasonic and preferably plasma but unfortunately, a good 90% of 2012 models of all televisions only come with 2 HDMI now (why, we don't understand). We need 4 HMDI ports! We've tried 3 different HDMI switch boxes and just don't like that route.

Recently, we came across this television (which has 3 HDMI) and thought, what the heck, let's give it a try. Wow!! Are we ever impressed! The visual quality is perfect for us, the menu is simple, no Smart TV features (which we don't need or want). This is a very simple but fantastic model.

My first beef was how thick it is but at the same time, it's so light in weight. The only con I have to complain about is the sound quality...not the best but in combination with our surround system, it works.
If you want a Smart TV or super thin model, keep looking but if you're on a budget and want something fantastic for it's price range, pick this TV up!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good TV - severely limited output connectors, November 5, 2012
Que (Colorado) - See all my reviews
So far the TV has been fine. Good picture, simple to configure. My biggest gripe is there is only ONE output from the TV - digital audio output. No HDMI ARC. No optical. Not even RCA! So, if you are going to hook this up to an external sound system you better make sure it takes digital audio or buy some sort of converter. I find it ridiculous that a TV currently still in production does not have HDMI ARC or optical!

What makes this even more frustrating is that I bought a Panasonic Viera sound system (Panasonic SC-BTT195) for the sole purpose of making sure they work together. Guess what? The Panasonic SC-BTT195 only takes RCA, optical and HDMI ARC - NOT digital audio. I think it is almost criminal that two products made by the same company in the same product line by design cannot work together. I have a kludge in place but will need to order a digital audio -> optical converter. Hope I don't lose anything in the process.

So, would I buy this TV again? No - for the simple reason is it that is woefully archaic in its output formats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, July 27, 2012
This was an upgrade from a 32 Vizio. The picture is great. Im not a tech guy so this isn't gonna be one of those post. If you want a good tv at a great price I dont think you will find anything better...but look to the other reviews about the hertz and all that junk. But as far as I can tell...I can tell none of the slow frame movement.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, August 15, 2012
I was reading on frame rate an plasma vs lcd and since i am a prime member and the shipping to and fro is so easy, I thought i give this Viera a try. Usually I stay away from to good to be true deals like this but with the said above, i was sure that i did't risk anything.
The picture is crystal clear the sound is surprisingly good as well. The firs thing i watched was Avatar to see the clearness of the picture. The second movie was Hitman to see how the frame rate holds up. Both flicks were blu-ray so the quality input was at max. Both times the TV performed flawlessly.
Great deal. I would by it over and over again. I also bought the square trade warranty in case something happens down the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 42" TV, August 14, 2012
I had my new Panasonic Viera 42 inch tv up and running within minutes of opening the box and was very happy with the quality of the image. At this price ($500) I don't think you could really beat the value you get from this LCD tv.