on January 11, 2013
Size Name: 55-InchVerified Purchase
I've had two of these TVs now and in both cases the TV worked great until I tried 3D. The first TV would register the 3D glasses, but never sync with the glasses. I ordered the expensive panasionic glasses to make sure it wasn't my thrid party glasses. The panasonics glasses did the same thing. I got Amazon to swap the TV with a replacment. The replacement wouldn't even reccognize the glasses. There is a RF transciever on the back of the TV and I wiggled the plug and pressed it back in the socket. That immedaitly fixed it. No i question the quality of the entire TV. The 3 weeks of frustration is not worth the cost of this TV.
on June 8, 2014
Size Name: 55-InchVerified Purchase
This is the best on the market for what it is. An LED-LCD, being an IPS type HDTV gives this model large advantage over others. Super wide angle viewing, almost completely 90 degrees, you can still see the image extremely clear ! Nothing bad about the TV can be said. The BIG problem is that it did not come with a Power Cord !! Unbelievable !! I called customer service, they sent one out, only to be the wrong type. So after 5 days of not being able to turn the TV on, I could not determine if it even worked. I ended up going to an electronics store, and bought one. $25. Plus I spent an additional $46 on 3-D glasses (3) pairs that were NOT compatible with this set, even though they were recommended by Panasonic. Very unsatisfied with the Customer service, and lack of effort in helping me just get the set turned on, Is the only reason I pulled off two stars. If it came with the power cord, I would have gave it an easy 5 stars. I was so frustrated with Panasonic for not sending one, mostly for sending the wrong one.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2012
Size Name: 47-InchVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We already own an older Panasonic 3D tv, albeit a plasma tv (TC-P50VT25)that we've been more than pleased with so we were eager to see how a Panasonic LED-LCD would compare.

The VIERA TC-L47DT50 47-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Full HD IPS LED-LCD is pretty awesome although the older plasma would still rate higher (I'd rate that one a 5). On the plus side, the picture and clarity are excellent overall and the tv does shadowing well. It also maintains any custom settings;ours is set to: backlight +64, contrast +96, brightness +40, color +55, tint 0,sharpness +74, color temps norm, color management on, AI pic off, CATS on.

On the negative side, the off-axis viewing isn't very good, giving the viewer unwanted brightness and some reflections. The tv is also highly reflective when it's not on (esp if you have a lamp in the same room). The black levels are not deep; you won't achieve the inky blacks we see on the plasma but they are still superior to many of the other tvs we've looked at.

One huge disappointment is that the 3D glasses from our other Panasonic don't work with this Panasonic. Having to buy new 3D glasses for a feature we seldom use is a bit aggravating, to say the least.

We haven't used the apps much but Panasonic's setup is fairly intuitive and quite simple to use.

Overall, this is an excellent tv and one I can easily recommend!
on July 6, 2013
Size Name: 55-Inch
I purchased this HDTV recently.
It is my first HDTV so it is a step up in display from an analog 36 inch analog only TV.
I am generally pleased with the video display quality even when used in our brightly lit room where LED excel over Plasma.
However, I am sure a back lit display would be better over an edge lit display, but it would be thicker and more expensive.

I found it easy to connect to our wifi router, but this is usually not a challenge for me with an Apple Airport Extreme router.
The DT50 provides quite a lot of streaming options and even has a dedicated Netflix button on the remote.
I found the larger physical buttons on the remote made it easier to operate.
Fingerprints sure show up easily over the remote due to a shiny black surface.

I have been looking into pairing this with an AV receiver.
Here is one of its limits.
You can only select between analog composite video input and analog component (separate Red, Green, Blue) video input for up conversion.
Why this may be important is because many newer AV receivers are eliminating their up conversion capability and just multiplex multiple video inputs of the same type into a single video output of the same type. For example, two component video inputs are multiplexed into one component video output, three composite video inputs are multiplexed into one composite video output and six HDMI inputs are multiplexed down into one HDMI output. The analog component video and analog composite video are not upconverted into HDMI digital video.
Thus, your TV set would need the three different input types to receive all three from the AV receiver.
This panasonic DT50 makes you choose between either component video or composite video input. It has 3 or 4 HDMI inputs that are sufficient for my needs at the moment and can clearly receive the HDMI output from the AV receiver. If you want to cover all your legacy types of analog video inputs, you will need an AV receiver that provides upconversion into HDMI digital video.

The other issue I would like to mention is the lack of a headphone jack. The analog TV this HDTV replaced had a headphone jack for audio output. The only audio output is a digital optical audio output (TOSLINK). I think the TOSLINK is great for a high quality audio output to the AV receiver but I am having trouble figuring out how to get a set of headphones to work with the AV receiver. A headphone jack is important to me so that I can watch TV without disturbing my family as they sleep at night. The DT50 does not have a headphone jack. When looking to pair this with an AV receiver, this is a big consideration for me now - how to get a set of wireless headphones to work. There is a blue tooth connection with the DT 50 that is used for signaling to the active 3D glasses. I am wondering if they thought about transmitting audio sound signals over bluetooth RF for a bluetooth headset. Don't have a bluetooth headset to try unfortunately.

"UPDATE: I was looking into using an optical splitter to duplicate the optical signal output of this TV - one for the AV receiver and the other for headphones. It turns out that this HDTV supposedly supports HDMI ARC (audio return channel). Accordingly, the audio from the TV should be sent back automatically over the HDMI cable between the output from the AVR and the input to the HDTV, assuming the cable supports it and the AV receiver does. This vitiates the need for an optical splitter and extra TOSLINK cables but does require one to have a newer AVR that supports HDMI ARC as well (HDMI cable as well). A digital optical decoder is still needed to receive the optical signals on the TOSLINK and covert them into 2.1 analog signal output for a pair of stereo RCA cables for the headphones. Now if we can get the headphone makers to receive a digital optical signal and integrate the decoder/converter, that would be great. In fact, all audio signals should be transmitted over fiber optic cables for best results. As I have yet to purchase a modern AVR with HDMI ARC, I will be using the splitter and extra optical cables for now."

Assembling the stand was a little bit of a challenge given that it was my first 55 inch HDTV, two people required to lift it and place it flat to work on. Also note, the box indicates that it should be transported in a vertical position and not a horizontal position. I see how a horizontal position may flex the LCD panel and cause it to crack. Moving this is going to be a challenge to maintain its vertical position so that the stresses are placed appropriately on the frame.
However, the 55 inch LED panel is so much lighter than the 36 inch analog TV it replaced.
It can be lifted by one male adult but is too bulky and flimsy to move by one person, particularly with the stand installed.

The bottom line is that I received a discounted price on this 55 inch HDTV to take the jump to digital, but I am going to miss all the headphone input, all the A/V inputs, and the reliability (over ten years and still running) of my trusty 36 inch analog TV.

Update: The speaker openings are on the back side of the HDTV. They may sound better if mounted on the wall so that the wall can reflect the sounds outward towards the viewer. If placed on a stand in a corner, it is may not be optimal for sound. You are most likely going to want to use a sound bar in front of the HDTV or at least an AVR with speakers to hear the sound better.
With this narrow of TV, there just is not much room for speakers and generating sounds.

Update: If you download the app "Panasonic Viera remote2" from Apple's itunes for your ipad, iphone, or iPod, and you select the media player under the Viera tools, you can play music, videos, photos, etc. from it on your TV using the "Mirror" mode. To do so, hold your finger on the song, etc for a while until selected in the app, and swipe straight up. The viera app also provides a keyboard from which you can better use the web browser. It also is a remoter controller.

Update: I was indeed able to use an optical splitter to split up the single optical output into two and couple it into a Gefen Digital Decoder for headphones and into an old Sony AV receiver w/o the use of HDMI. This will get me more mileage out of my old AV receiver that has 5.1 sound. I will try to upload a picture.
The more I use this HDTV, the more pleased I am with its purchase given the sales price.
For an entry level 3D HDTV, I did not go wrong. For this reason, I upped my star rating to four stars.
I just hope its lasts as long as my analog TV.

Update: This LED HDTV, like many others, are very thin and cannot support a center speaker. I was able to mount with tape the WII infrared receiver bar to the top of this LCD panel. However, a speaker stand (or wall mount speaker support) is needed to mount a center speaker of a surround sound system. The panny stand only lifts the TV up about 3 inches above the surface supporting the HDTV. Most center speakers bars are at least 4 inches high. Setting the center speaker on the supporting surface in front of the HDTV will block a lower portion of the LED screen. One needs to plan accordingly for the center speaker. Presently, my center speaker of the 5.1 system I have is sitting behind the HDTV on the support surface so it does not block the LCD panel. It sounds OK there but probably is not optimal.

Comparison with Newer DT60: The DT50 has a 240hz refresh rate that is better for sports and movement within the video. The DT60 has a 120Hz refresh rate. This is the main reason I purchased the DT50, that and its discounted price. The DT50 uses active shutter 3D glasses while the DT60 is using polarized passive 3D glasses. The polarized passive 3D glasses are less expensive and do not break when dropped. The active shutter 3D glasses are supposedly better at reproducing the 3D images and remain being used in the higher quality WT60 HDTV. A built in camera may be useful if one intends to use skype video conferencing calls or play interactive video games with friends but I don't intend to do so. Voice recognized commands in the DT60 and WT60 might be an interesting feature, particularly if one finds remote controls difficult to use. I don't have that problem and find the remote control for the DT50 satisfactory.

Update 8/4/13: The DT50 has a PC input. The user manual indicates that the PC input supports a resolution of WXGA (1366 by 768 pixels). With our older PC computer we were not able to use that resolution, we were only able to achieve SXGA (1280 by 1024 pixels) at 60hertz refresh. It is nice to be able to connect old PCs without HDMI to this system. We attached a Mac Mini with an HDMI output into an HDMI input jack with great success. Just had to reduce the scanning size via a control panel to reduce the edges down onto the screen.
review image
on April 17, 2013
Size Name: 47-InchVerified Purchase
The picture quality of this TV is excellent. It was pretty good out of the box but definitely needed to be color tuned. It had a kind of yellowish/bronze hue to the picture but that was easily corrected. The 240 hz refresh rate really makes the panning action of a scene look like you're standing in the picture. The remote is ok but a keyboard option would be better so you can use the smart TV functionality a little easier such as searching You Tube or using the web browser function. The speakers are ok but an add-on speaker bar really impoves the experience. Haven't tried 3D yet as the set did not come with glassess (a $80 add-on for the active shutter) so I can't comment on the 3D functionality; however, as far as a TV goes, it's a keeper.
on March 22, 2013
Size Name: 47-InchVerified Purchase
This Panasonic replaced a 42 inch one prior generation and the differencve in the image quality is incredible. Still need a bit of time to fully enjoy the 3D featuire and the Internet but slowly getting there.

All in all thouroughly satisfied.
on March 21, 2013
Size Name: 55-InchVerified Purchase
This set was a replacement for a Panasonic ST50 Plasma that developed a white line across the screen. But this one was not putting out a Bluetooth signal so Amazon immediately ordered a direct replacement. While that was being processed I noticed that one reviewer had fixed the problem by reseating the Bluetooth adapter. This is a 1" x 2" module attached to the lower end of the TV's back panel. So I loosened the one screw holding it, and reseated the connector. End of problem! Called Amazon to intercept the replacement delivery and all is well.

3 stars for Panasonic; 5 for Amazon.

For techie types: To check the Bluetooth connection one can do a system check by turning on the TV, then while depressing the volume down button on the back of the set, depress and hold the OK button on the remote. After a few seconds a list will appear with the status of the various internal components. The Bluetooth box should say OK. If it does and you still can't connect the 3D glasses you may have a registration problem.

When registering compatible Panasonic glasses be sure to hold the slide switch past the "on" position for a few seconds to start the registration process. The glasses will not register if the switch is released in the "on" position.

And, by the way, the TV is excellent. Sharp, great colors (I use the custom settings recommended by other reviewers). We prefer its appearance and picture to the faulty plasma we returned earlier. It's 2 inches lower and swivels about 15º either way. I have to agree with those reviewers who took issue with Cnet's negative review. The blacks look fine to us.
on March 20, 2013
Size Name: 47-InchVerified Purchase
9/12/13 Update. So not even 6 months after I purchased the television I noticed a thin yellow line that goes from the top of the screen to the bottom. This line occurs on all inputs. I first started off on my nightmare of an ordeal with Panasonic customer service. I called and was disconnected 3 times. Finally when I got someone on the line I was already very frustrated but I understood that in order to trigger a technician visit I needed to do the trouble shooting steps (which I already did well before I called). As I started going through his steps and explaining that I still see the line he begins to tell me that "I don't hear the volume, you know if we find out that you aren't being honest there will be repercussions..." At that point I lost it on him and asked why would I have the volume up when I am on the phone? I was incredibly insulted and probably said a few things I shouldn't have but how dare he say that...Long story short I need one of their technicians to come to the house and of course they don't have one available for the area (which is bull). Of course he said someone from Panasonic would contact me to setup a date for a technician visit. I doubt they will but in all honesty Panasonic will never have to worry about me purchasing another one of their products that fails after 6 months again.

Let me preface this buy saying I am not an audiophile, pictophile or any other kind of nit picky television buyer. However, I do know an amazing television when I see it and I see it everyday when I turn this bad boy on. This was my third television and first step away from the Samsung brand and I have to say that I am in no way shape or form disappointed. Not to mention I got it for an absolute steal from Amazon at $698. Apparently there is a CNET review rolling around the internet that absolutely destroys this television as an epic fail. I couldn't disagree more.
The slim design and picture quality are amazing. I love that I have multiple HDMI and USB inputs. The television is located a good distance from my router so I have to be honest in saying that the connection to the internet is not all that great but I'd imagine if this were a living room television you'd be good to go in regards to the strength of the wi-fi connectivity. You can't go wrong with this television!!
on March 17, 2013
Size Name: 47-InchVerified Purchase
I scored this TV for $780 (47" model). All I can say is "Wow." We downgraded from a 60" TV with a lower-quality picture to this one, and I'm so happy we did.

The picture is great, the sound is fine (as good as can be expected from a flat panel).
on March 15, 2013
Size Name: 47-InchVerified Purchase
The TV is awesome. The picture is as good as it gets. I like the fact that you can connect to it your wifi and access the internet. The sound is great and the remote is easy to use. I will not need another TV for a very long time.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations