Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Panasonic VIERA TC-P42UT50 42-Inch 1080p Full HD 3D Plasma TV
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on April 15, 2012
I've had this TV for about a week and, after reading some other reviews, had some concerns that it would be too dim for our living room. Thankfully, that has not been the case. Even with four big windows where the sun shines directly on the TV, we can still see the picture just fine. If we really want it to be clear, we'll close the blinds, but it's not completely necessary. Just gotta change the TV's picture settings to Cinema or Game or customize it yourself.

The main thing we use the TV for is streaming online video and the built-in apps work surprisingly well. I figured there would only be very basic functionality in the YouTube, Amazon Prime, Pandora, etc, apps, but thankfully YouTube still lets me browse all my subscriptions (although it goes back to the beginning of my subscriptions after I finish watching one of them, which is annoying). There's no way to comment on YouTube videos, though. I find YouTube works best if you use YouTube's "YouTube Remote" mobile app for iPhone/Android. Makes it easy to watch the videos on the screen while browsing your subscriptions and other videos on your phone.

The only reason I didn't give this TV 5 stars is because the audio quality won't blow you away. It's definitely very sufficient, but it sounds like TV audio. I'm planning to hook it up to my stereo system for a fuller sound.

I have the 42" and it only has 2 HDMI ports, which is my Xbox and Blu-ray player. I wish there was another HDMI port or two.
on April 14, 2012
It's been almost one month I have this TV. It's a 42" TV. Initially I thought the brightness from the TV was bit dull compared to the TV I saw in the Shop. But after bit tweaking with the brightness/contrast, it looks much better. I connected the internet using the Ethernet wire and played few YouTube videos connected, wow.. Perfect color and it feels like watching a DVD. I am yet to play with the 3D feature.
Strongly recommend this product

Pros:
Good clarity and deep black
YouTube HD videos are in perfect display
Color saturation

Cons
Sound is OK.
When I placed my SD Card from my Canon Camera, I could view the picture, but couldn't see any video. It looks like it couldn't read the video format.
on May 25, 2012
I studied TV Brands, Types, and sizes for 3 months straight. It came down to the ST50 being the very best in every aspect. Unfortunately it was over my price range and the smallest was a 50. the 2nd best was this one with the only difference of NeoPlasma not being in it. I figured this technology wouldn't be worth an extra $500 and am glad I did. It surprises me Panasonic would have a TV (the ST and up) with even more radiant color than this one.
on April 7, 2012
I purchased a Panasonic Viera TC-P42UT50 about 3 days ago. I had wanted a P42ST30, but there were none available when I went to the Amazon site, but a blue link said "There is a newer model of this item available" and sent me to the P42UT50. I figured it must be the same, but better, since it's newer, and bought it. This is my first non cathode ray tube model, either LCD or Plasma, so I was expecting an amazing picture experience unlike anything I'd ever seen before. What a HUGE disappointment. I don't know if it's because it's a UT and not an ST (turns out they're different lines...the ST has "Infinite Black ultra" and "Neo Plasma Black 2500", as well as an anti-reflective screen), or if it's a lemon, but the picture was not bright, and yes, I tweaked it seven ways from Sunday trying to get it to perform as advertised. It's just DIM! My 6 year old CRT Sony is brighter than this plasma. I'm simply non-plussed, and extremely disappointed. It has good color and a decent picture, but it sure doesn't come CLOSE to blowing me away...far from it. I couldn't get any answers from Panasonic other than "tweak" it, so I'll probably be returning it. In the meantime, I'm going out to brick and mortar stores to see if my set was particularly different than normal (I was assured by Panasonic that there could be no issue other than tweaking the settings), or if they're all like this. It was particularly disappointing given that Consumer Reports gave Panasonic in general, and the ST line in particular, rave reviews, and I've always been able to trust their recommendations in the past. If this set is typical of other Panasonics, however, I'll be writing them a letter as well. (In their defense, it was the ST, not the UT, that they recommended; we'll see). I'll report back here as this saga continues, and let you know whether my set was typical.
If it is, I'd have to say, don't buy the P42UT50 unless you've laid eyes on it and like what you see.
2222 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2012
I am very happy with this TV and model. Colors and definition are great. Only criticism is that the brightness during sporting events is inconsistent. I'm told that this is because of the computers handling all of the data and sending it from the event cannot keep the lighting levels consistent. I still love it.
on April 9, 2012
Just got this new Panasonic 42" 1080p TV. The picture quality is superb: rich colors, good flesh tones, even Standard Definition looks good and of course HD is super. The blacks are deep and luscious (but cover your windows because the screen is very reflective.) There are lots of adjustments for brightness, saturation, hue, etc.

The sound is perfectly adequate but if you want to match the picture, you'll need a separate home theater system. Thin TV's don't have great speakers.

Haven't tried 3D so cannot comment on that.

After running for hours, the unit was only warm so Panasonic has solved the plasma heat problem. The label says annual energy usage should be about $16.

A hint on assembling the stand: To drive in the last four horizontal screws, attach a screw to the end of a Phillips head screwdriver with a bit of tape.

I highly recommend this Panasonic for its great picture and competitive price.
on April 10, 2012
Great Tv quality for price. The only problem with this TV is the constant hum/buzz! Its extremely annoying. I'm not sure if this is just my model or plasmas in general.

To expand on this "buzz" if your using this as a tv maybe 15-20 ft away in a living room environment you will NOT notice the buzz. However if your planning to use this fairly close to you as say a monitor, the buzz is quite noticeable during quiet points.

3d seems awesome, though I have no experience with other 3d sets so cant say how "awesome" it really is.
on March 30, 2012
Just got my 42" UT50 after researching TVs for a long while. This TV lives up to all the good things I've heard about it. My advice is to turn off 24p playback on your bluray player to avoid a headache inducing flicker and the home camcorder soap opera look that a lot of TVs have these days. Once this issue was fixed, the picture is great, and the movement looks right. For the price you can't get a better TV. Head over to avsforums to get the right color settings to make things even better.
1010 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2012
This is my first Plasma. I followed D-Nice's break-in procedure and then calibrated using the settings from AVSFORUM and wow the screen is so crisp. We bought the 42" for the bedroom and this TV is so awesome, now I want to upgrade my 52" Sony LCD in the living room. The only thing I am disappointed about is that Panasonic discontinued this 42" TV shortly after it came out. I don't think they discontinued it because of any defects but rather lack of interest in the smaller size TV's.
on April 30, 2012
Panasonic has really out done themselves with this 2012 plasma model. Great motion resolution and if you're inclined it even has 3D. First thing is to move it off standard setting for the picture and change it to custom setting, start with contrast at 78, brightness at 58, color at 44 and sharpness at 0, color temp at Warm2 - fine tune to your liking. Head over to AVS forum for more on optimum settings.

Really an incredible quality image. Just realize there is no antiglare filter, so best without bright lights nearby which will pickup on the gloss screen.