5.0 out of 5 stars Best 50" picture quality in the U.S.
With SONY and JVC no longer manufacturing their phenomenal high-end CRT HDTVs, and Pioneer out of the Plasma business, the pursuit of picture quality is not as simple as it once was. Rest assured, however, that there are still a handful of manufacturers (i.e. Panasonic, Samsung, LG, ...) still investing in Plasma technology, because LCD is a giant leap backwards in terms...
Published on June 7, 2011 by Andon M. Coleman

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful picture that's spoiled by fluctuating brightness
There is a lot to like about this TV. It has nice aesthetics. There are plenty of inputs and connectivity. Unfortunately there are some things that are not so great and one that is a deal breaker for me.

The over-all design and build is solid. Some TVs have a weak and even flimsy feel to them, but not this Panasonic.

The screen is very nice and...
Published on May 10, 2011 by Bill

‹ Previous | 18 9 1035 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic 65 GT 30, March 15, 2012
I have had nothing but a great experience shopping at amazon. I was a little worried about purchasing a large and expensive item online and to have it shipped. I do not have to worry now because amazon did a wonderful job in making it easy to purchase and to receive for delivery. The TV arrived and it is awesome! I love it and I loved the great price! thank you amazon and panasonic for a great picture!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful picture!, February 8, 2012
Five years ago a bought a pioneer plasma tv. Once I got it home and started watching programs on it I was blown away by the quality. I told myself that I would only buy pioneer tvs for the rest of my life. Then pioneer stopped making tvs. I have spent 6 months reading reviews and looking at tvs in stores, The next closest picture I could find was in the Panasonic line of plasma tvs. I have to say that the picture quality on the Panasonic is a little better than the pioneer, but the pioneer is a 720p tv and the Panasonic is a 1080p and I mostly watch blurays. I went with the gt over the vt because the vt is not made in a 60" size and that was the size that would work the best in the room that I was buying for. Also I got a December build, made sure that the PDP EEP was updated, which it was, and I have not seen any evidence of FBr. Buy this tv, it is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture quality... I could not be happier!, February 8, 2012
Beautiful picture quality - Deep blacks, vibrant colors and THX picture mode. As a bonus, Netflix and Amazon streaming video access built-in. This is a 3D capable display, but IMHO I think 3D is just a gimmick at home and in the theaters. Maybe one day, I will be proven wrong, but 3D was not even a consideration when I decided on this model.

Got an amazing deal on this display from Amazon using Prime - No tax, free shipping and returns (if necessary) and fast scheduled 'white-glove' delivery that went off without a hitch. The delivery guys from CEVA Logistics were great - They were neat, mindful of not only their fragile cargo but also my wood floors and furniture, and they made sure everything was functioning properly before they collected all the packing materials and closed up the shipping carton. They strongly recommended that I hold on to the carton in case any issues came up and I needed to return the display to Amazon, but they would take it away if that's what I wanted.

If you're in the market for a new HDTV, the Panasonic TC-P55GT30 should definitely be on your short list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Plasma TV, February 8, 2012
To preface this review I must admit that I did in fact buy into the high end LED fad that is being pushed on everyone. I went with the Sony HX820 and it simply had much too many issues for its cost (flash-lighting, huge crease, uneven whites, etc). After much research on LED's and realized that most top of the line LED units have these issues. Shelling out that kind of money for a product that has been proven to be vastly defective was foolish on my part but thankfully I did get the refund (not on Amazon).

Now for the 55GT30. I was hesitant at first to go with Plasma due to image retention and heating issues. Again, I was wrong not to just buy this set from the get go. After my first GT30 was delivered with a cracked screen, Amazon promptly sent a new one and was delivered less than 48 hours later. I received a December 2011 build and have had no issue whatsoever.

Pros:
Absolutely Fantastic 2D Picture (have not viewed 3D yet).
Colors look natural in THX mode. Deep black without the over brightness on LED, which in my opinion, washes out much of the detail.
Sports look amazing and much more crisp than the Sony LED.
Blu Ray Movies provide a very rich black level and incredible detail (view in THX mode which is a great upgrade).
Sound is fine but will upgrade to surround shortly.
Ton's of Viera features but I primarily use the PS3/360 to view media.
Very sturdy stand that is extremely easy to assemble (the LED stand was small and wobbly).
Sleek bezel and overall very thin TV that takes up no space at all.

Cons:
None so far to be honest. No fluctuating brightness, no image retention, and no "green blob" issues here.

Overall:
I am kicking myself for not purchasing this unit sooner. I sit 8 feet from the TV and highly recommend the 55" over the 50" (you will thank me later). If you are interested in a close to top of the line unit (couldn't justify the extra $500 for the VT30) that has fantastic black levels for movie viewing and can handle fast action sports, this is definitely the unit for you.

I also had a ton of questions my self about "breaking in" the unit before viewing but I opted to just start viewing content out of the box in THX mode with all settings <50 for the first 100-150 hours or so then I will tweak from there. If you have any questions, let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT30 50-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I've had a Samsung DLP since 2007 and loved it when it first came out. For years I've been seeing newer and better things come along. I saw this TV at my local Best Buy displayed next to a Samsung LED. In the store the Samsung LED looked incredibly bright, shiny, and sharp, while the Panasonic looked a little dim by comparison. Ladies and gentleman - don't let that fool you. This plasma tv is bright, vivid, and downright gorgeous even moreso when you calibrate it. I have not seen a TV that looked this gorgeous in a long time and don't even slightly regret this purchase.

The TV looks incredibly clear and the Proper handling of 24p makes the image really pop and stand out. After rewatching some blu-rays that I thought looked good on my old TV on this one, I decided to never watch another blu-ray on my old TV again as the difference was that much!

The 3D looks fantastic. I bought some SainSonic 3D glasses on Amazon because they were available (as opposed to the Panasonic ones) and cheaper ($58~ a pair). I watched Kung-Fu Panda 2 in 3D (Best Buy exclusive) and Cars 2 in 3D. It was better than the theaters. I was worried about the distance because my tv is about 13' away from my couch but even at that distance the images lept off the screen and you could definitely experience the depth in the picture originally intended. I did not experience any ghosting or cross talk in either movie and had it set to "Vivid" to increase the brightness of the picture and everything looked great.

Delivery was amazing they unpackaged it and even set up the stand and helped me set it on my entertainment center I was blown away. Awesome shipper.

To sum all of this up - don't settle for less. This is the perfect TV at an incredibly enticing price and you will not regret making this purchase in the slightest. And it's much cheaper on Amazon than other retailers so definitely start with them ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Have not owned a better tv, January 26, 2012
Bought this tv in middle October 2011 and love it except for a little judder(will clarify later). First out, the picture is outstanding never had a better tv. Before this I owned a Samsung LN46A750 but unfortunately the screen broke and was forced to make a purchase. Bit the bullet and decided on the Panasonic gt series as budget was more a concern. I would have taken the vt if I could have afforded it as I thought the picture quality was a little better in store where I saw it. Definitely the vt looked a little better.
Took the GT home and was immediately drawn to the great color tones and contrast. Blacks are really good improving the overall image. As with my televisions I always try to look up the specifications to get the most out of them.
For viewing I move back and forth between Custom, Cinema and THX. The latter is more frequently used than not. I love this picture setting more than any because of color and picture fullness, the draw back is motion judder as the default doesn't allow you to change the setting.. Custom setting I have set to strong motion smoothness. On other websites the experts say that Motion Smoothness should be turned off but I enjoy this feature because I can't stand motion judder and with this TV it sometimes can be unbearable and highly distracting. Some movies it's not as bad but with some others the picture is really blurred when the camera is panning. How has no one reported this, I don't know. I googled this to my wits end and have not seen anyone report this problem; is it just me? Panasonic gave you two options 48hz and 60hz. 48 hz is just a waste of time as that setting is just impossible to look at. There was more jumping and judder than anything Ive seen in a television.
Put on 60hz and things are a Lot better. I've seen other reviews where it's said the VT has a 96hz setting which makes things much better. After about 2days of viewing this tv I had it packed and back in the box to go as I saw it on amazon for same price I paid in store. It the hassle of having to do it all over again made change my mind.
This Plasma tv definitely has better overall picture than the first Panasonic Plasma I got about 4yrs back as the contrast ratio and brightness have greatly been improved. I thought it was going to be really tough to brighten up in a well lit room but I was totally wrong about this as the brightness is fantastic; no problem in a brightly lit room. Warning though- the screen is reflective so it will reflect light.
Oh! 3d is awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars I made the right choice, Amazon is the only place to buy!, January 22, 2012
I have a room with little or no outside light, I was told that is the perfect setting for a plasma TV. My room is 30'X 18' and there isn't a bad seat in the room. There is no loss of picture or bad angle. I also bought surround sound and blu ray player. Everybody that has seen this set up agrees it is better than any movie theater that they have been in for picture and sound. It is truly amazing. Panasonic is so far ahead of it's competition in plasma TV's. If you have the right room for plasma this will be the best purchase you can make. I have been a avid Sony owner until they refused to fix a factory defect in my $5000 TV, I am so pleased, my allegiance has change, The only negitive is that this TV is 3D and I can't believe you can pay this much for a TV and they don't give you 3D glasses with the TV. I have not seen it in 3D because the glasses are about $200 a pair. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars panasonic tc- p55gt30, January 18, 2012
Great T.V. knew it would be good giving the reviews I read,But I had no idea it was this good. Set up no problems, Have had for over 2 weeks and no retention or fluctuating problems. Good in thx mode but use custom mode and calibrate using plasma tv .com setings and the picture explodes off the screen. 3D better than expected, not Imax but very close. No buzzing sounds. Sports programing off the charts, no motion problems the greens and red just pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars High-End TV, Industry Recognized Best! Awesome TV, January 5, 2012
I waited and researched TVs for a year. I wanted an LED-based LCD because of the brightness and clarity I saw at the stores. But in my research I kept seeing Panasonic plasmas pop up as the best, every time. I wanted the best, so I got the best.

What I really can't believe is HOW THIN this TV is. It's only about 1" thick, much thinner than many LCD TVs I have seen. I thought I was getting a big thick plasma, and was ok with that, but the bezel is awesome! The bezel has a beautiful stainless steel band that borders it all the way around, and it just looks GOOD! That is hard to see in pictures when trying to compare the GT to the ST or the VT.

I have a bright kitchen directly behind my couch, and the ant-reflective surface on this TV is really cool. It is plenty bright, and the reflections are minimized better than anything I have ever seen. This TV is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for both 2D and 3D, December 24, 2011
Scott (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I've owned the Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT30 for over a week now and I have to say this is the best HDTV I've ever owned. I would have purchased this off of amazon but they would not price match. I paid $900 shipped off ebay for a new open box unit that has a build date of July 2011. I have had no regrets thus far. The delivery team was a company called HomeDirectUSA which provided an excellent service. I purchased the tv on December 7th and it was delivered on December 14th, at 6am in the morning, they showed up at 5:50am. They arrived with a group of two guys who carried the tv into my bedroom, unboxed my tv, installed the tv stand, plugged it in for me, verified i had picture and that there was no damage done to the tv, I signed off on it and then they hauled away the box for me. Once we powered on the tv the setup process immediately detected the presence of my wifi connection. I then proceeded to check for firmware updates and there was one available for my tv which downloaded and installed without any problems. I was reading reviews here on amazon and some have reported a fluctuating brightness issue that seems to effect sets with a build date before August 2011. Since my set has a build date of July 2011 I was concerned I'd have problems. So far in the 11 days I have owned it I have not had any of the fluctuating brightness issues some had reported. Whether that is because of the firmware update or whether the issue is random I do not know, in any case the picture quality is stunning! Hands down the best tv I've ever owned. I have also yet to experience any image retention/burn in problems.

I've tested the 3D capabilities using a Panasonic BDT-210 3D Blu-Ray player that I purchased here off of amazon. This player also comes with a mail-in offer promotional deal from Panasonic where they give you a free blu-ray copy of Avatar 3D, which Panasonic has the exclusive for. So far the 3D movies I've tested were The Lion King 3D, Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides 3D, and I just got done watching Avatar 3D. By the way Panasonic says to allow 8-12 weeks for shipping the Avatar 3D Blu-Ray and I received it in 2 weeks! Much better than expected wait time! All 3 movies had excellent 3D performance on this TV, but Avatar 3D was absolutely amazing!!! Avatar 3D is the standard by which all 3D movies should be made. The 3D glasses I used was the newer model Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU which is for the 2011 model Panasonic 3D TV's. I bought the glasses here off of amazon for $65 shipped on black friday. When I purchased the glasses they were on backorder so I had to wait an extra week for those but totally worth the price I paid. I purchased 2 but wish I'd of bought 3 of them. Maybe the price will come down again later on and I'll pick up another pair. You have to charge the glasses when you first get them using the USB connections on the tv set. This process took around 30 minutes for me, and the charge is suppossed to last around 6 months.

This TV has 4 HDMI inputs which I have made full use out of. Right now the 4 HDMI connections i am using is the Dishnetwork HD-DVR vip612, Xbox 360, Panasonic BDT-210, and my computer. I use THX mode for each connection except for the Xbox 360 which uses Game mode. This unit is excellent for video games as fast action scenes are played back without any stuttering or lag. The colors and details are excellent. Although this tv has a D-Sub connector which is meant for the PC, I do not use it for my computer since I prefer the HDMI connection which offers full 1920x1080p resolution. Note that when using this tv as a pc monitor you should also use the THX picture mode. THX mode is the only mode by default that does not have overscan which crops parts of all sides of the picture. However you can use other modes as well with your computer as long as you change the HD Size to Size 2, which is found under the Menu settings for Picture and Aspect Adjustments. Size 1 has overscan and Size 2 does not.

Out of all the different picture modes I have tested I find THX mode to be the most accurate and the mode I suggest using overall. However if you want to get the best picture possible you will need to calibrate your tv set. Instead of paying for someone to come out to do this i searched google and found a calibration page for this model tv. The calibration settings I found were from the CNET forums. Since I cannot post any links in the review I will instead just paste the settings here.

Picture mode: THX
Screen format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2
[others grayed out]
PC adjustments: Grayed out

Aspect adjustments: [no change from default]
HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
Motion smoother: [grayed out]
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

The Panasonic Viera-Cast is what you use to access the internet features of this tv. When I go into Viera-Cast it has these apps already installed. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video on Demand, Pandora, Youtube, Skype, Social Media apps of Twitter and Facebook, MLB.TV, NHL, MLS, Fox Sports, Wallstreet Journal live, Ustream, CinemaNow, PlayJam, Accuweather.com, Picasa Web Albums, AP, NBA Game Time 2011-2012. There's also some Panasonic apps as well. Panasonic Viera Connect Market which is for downloading new apps and games, Panasonic Support Center which I've thankfully not needed to use yet and I hope I never have to use it, and Viera Connect Settings. This has already a lot of apps but the one app that is missing that I wish was available is Vudu. Vudu is the only streaming service at the moment that you can rent and stream 3D movies. In the future i'm sure more streaming services will offer 3D streaming but for now Vudu is the only one. So not having Vudu as an installed app or even available from the Viera Market to download is dissapointing.

One other complaint I have is that this tv does not have the analog audio rca red/white outputs. My older Panasonic G10 plasma had them and it's what I used to connect my tv to my home theatre a/v receiver. This tv instead has a Toslink Digital Optical output. However this was not a problem for me as I knew this before hand and bought myself a FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter here off of amazon which has worked perfect for me.

In summary this is the best TV I've ever owned. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and highly recommend this tv to anybody looking to upgrade to the world of HDTV or 3D. I did not purchase a square trade warranty like I did with my older Panasonic. The reasons being the outrageous pricing. SquareTrade wants to charge me $140 dollars per year for the warranty! Although this tv was listed as new it's still considered "Open Box" since the seal was broken. SquareTrade charges a much higher price for open box electronics so keep this in mind if buying a new open box or used tv and want to buy a warranty. Considering the deal I got on this tv buying the warranty wouldn't make any sense. I paid $900 shipped, and of that $900 I will get a $150 credit from Citi bank as I signed up for a new MasterCard and they have a promotional deal where you get $150 cash back when you make $750 dollars worth of purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account. This TV took care of that requirement and I've already received the credit on my first statement. So that coupled with the $18 dollars in ebay bucks I will receive, the tv will end up only costing me $732 dollars!

‹ Previous | 18 9 1035 | Next ›