5.0 out of 5 stars Staggeringly good picture
UPDATE - September 29, 2012

So, it's been a few months since I wrote my initial review of the GT50 and I wanted to give another update.

Published on April 8, 2012 by Michael Romo

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem Image Rention
Published 21 months ago by akgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggeringly good picture, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT50 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
UPDATE - September 29, 2012

Overall, the set is working great. I have not gotten it professionally calibrated, I want to do that next month, but the picture still looks fantastic, both for 2D and 3D content ("The Avengers" looks amazing!). Interestingly, I find myself using the THX-Cinema settings just as often, if not more often, than the custom settings I had generated using the various calibration discs. That may be more out of laziness than anything else, to be honest.

A few things:

1 - If you have a lamp or a window in your room that you think will reflect on the screen, be aware that the anti-glare coating will not cut it during the day. You'll need heavy drapes for the day and use a dimmer or just turn off the lamp at night. It can be distracting.

2 - My biggest frustration is that I am noticing some degree of line bleed, which I guess is a problem with plasmas in general -- I noticed it with my old Samsung but find myself noticing it a lot more with the GT50. I am very frustrated to have to report this to you all and I am going to see what I can do about it, if anything -- again, this is something that happens on all plasmas, apparently, I just wanted to make sure you all knew that I was finding it somewhat distracting.

(Line bleeding is when a "ghost" version of another element on a screen actually appears on part of the screen where where it shouldn't -- for example, a character's face might be in front of a window sill -- the "ghost" of the sill continues across the character's face. There is some discussion of line bleed on the GT50 here:[...] )

I am not going to change my star rating for my review based on what I am perceiving as a limitation of the technology (as opposed to the set) but it's something to keep in mind. I will be doing some research to see what, if anything, I can do to address the situation and let you know what happens.

Finally, I have received a few email inquiring which kind of TV stand I have (in the pictures section). I got the stand in 2007 from IKEA -- sadly, I do not think they make it anymore. It's a pity, it's kind of a perfect TV stand.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

After six years, it was time to replace my aging 42" Samsung plasma (during which a circuit board died, which ended up requiring an all new screen to be installed--thank goodness I had the extended warranty). At first, I went with the UN55D8000, which was a good looking set, granted, but just didn't have the picture quality I wanted, so I ended up returning that less than a week after it arrived. Then I heard about the new Panasonic models coming out, and realized that the GT50 looked like a promising candidate.

I have had the TV for less than a week, and there is no way I am returning this incredible plasma television. I will share some initial thoughts (and have submitted photos as well), and will update my comments later as a kind of progress report.

If you care about picture quality and don't feel like waiting for the VT, look no further. This set has one of the best pictures out of the box I have ever seen, with deep, silky blacks and vibrant (not never overly so) colors. My "go-to" test for black levels is the first scene of Episode 9 of the first season of "Game of Thrones," which takes place entirely in the shadows. Quite frankly, I didn't know blu-ray could look so good. The details in the bricks and the clothing, all illuminated by a flickering torch, were astounding. There was a real sense of depth and clarity, even with this very dark scene--incredible. I dialed in my own settings using the Spears and Munsil disc, but the settings included in the THX- Cinema mode worked really well and are a great starting point.

The color controls for this TV are very extensive, and I think a professional calibrator could really make this set sing. I will get a real calibration done in a month and let you know how it goes. Suffice to say, once I dialed in the proper brightness and contrast and turned pretty much everything else off (and making sure to turn the "panel brightness" to low)--the set was great.

I watched "Tron" in 3D using the Oppo BDP-93, and was very impressed with the 3D and the clarity of the picture. I don't have a lot of 3D content, so I will make sure to add more comments once I see more films. The glasses, which are not cheap, are light and quite comfortable, though it's annoying you are supposed to charge them via the TV--when the TV is on. It would be nice if they came with little carrying cases or bags, but no such luck.

I have DirecTV and the 1080i picture looks fantastic, as does the AppleTV's 1080p. It is with Blu-ray, however, that this set really feels most at home. I cannot overstate how rich the contrast is; my wife continues to comment on how much she notices the better picture, which is a great sign!

I have this plugged into my sound system, so I haven't even heard the speakers, really, so I can't comment on the sound quality.

As I illustrate in the pictures, the HDMI ports are very close to the side of the cabinet, so if you have thicker HDMI cables, you really need to coax them, gently, down the side so they don't poke out behind the set. I have a set of Bluejeans cables, which work just fine, but my Better Cables HDMI is definitely very close to the edge. Speaking of cables, while the set does come with a cable stay, there is only 1 (though there are four places to put it)--Panasonic really needs to included another.

The bezel is very thin and the set is not that much thicker than the Samsung LCD I had just a few weeks ago. I really like how it looks in the room. The screen swivels about 10° either direction, which is nice. It's also much lighter than I thought it would be; I was able to put the stand on and lift it into place by myself (though, clearly, you should have someone help you--I was just excited).

This is a really great set. I haven't seen the ST50, but I can't help but feel that the extra 24,000 shades of grey really push this TV to a higher level of picture quality. I am extremely, extremely pleased so far, and I am looking forward to putting it through its paces--and will let you know how it goes!

Update (4/11/12):

I started playing with the Internet Apps last night and wanted to add a few notes:

1 - Every time I press "Viera Tools" or "Internet" I am kind of shocked how fast the interface comes up. This is, by far, the fastest interface I have ever used, thanks to the dual processor. It's so fast that you start to get the feeling that you might actually USE the Internet on this thing!

2 - Panasonic does have a web browser (App Store:LifeStyle) but it's a pain to download (you have to enter in your credit card information even though the application is free); I just wish it was included. I am going to fill out my credentials on the vieracast website because it's kind of annoying to enter in the data using the remote.

3 - The YouTube interface is actually pretty nice. The text is displayed larger than on the AppleTV and you can sort by HD Content only, which the AppleTV does NOT let you do--so that's very cool.

4 - I still need to check out Netflix, Hulu +, Vudu and other applications. The GT50 offers a very comprehensive assortment of online services and, like I said, it's very easy and intuitive to get to.

Other things:
1 - Clicking on Viera Tools brings up a toolbar on the lower part of the screen from which you can access various items:
- 3D options
- THX options - basically, switch from THX Cinema to THX Bright Room and one other THX mode. Pretty good for testing out your custom settings with the THX ones.
- Viera Connect - pretty much the same as pressing the "Internet" button on the remote
- Media Player
- DLNA - wasn't applicable to my system
- Viera Link - not really sure what the difference is between Viera Connect and Viera Link; I will check it out and update this post
- Eco - adjusts the auto-brightness features
- eHelp - access to the 208 page manual via a specialized interface

2 - There IS an iOS app (and I would assume an Android App) that can take the place of the supplied remote control. Useful, I guess, for Harmony users who may need specialized controls from time to time. This seemed to work well for the most part but I have some thoughts:

- The app makes ridiculous sounds when using the remote. You can turn the sounds off. Really silly.
- The trackpad controls are the default screen, but you cannot control the TV with them. You need to swipe to another pane to get to the arrow keys to navigate the menus. This was confusing at first and then just kind of irritating, because you have to go to one page to call up "Options" then swipe to another page to interact with the options.
- The reason why I gave up entering my credentials to get the web browser was because the keyboard on the iOS app was NOT sending text to the TV. This is clearly a bug, but once it is fixed, this will work like the AppleTV, where you can use your iOS device to type into the TV, which is obviously much better than using the remote. Lame it's not working for me, though.
- There is an iPad specific app which I have looked at but I haven't used with the TV (I don't know if it consolidate the various panes, will update).

So, I dunno how important these services and Internet features are to you. I really like my AppleTV, so I already have most of them, but am curious to see Vudu's video quality and check out how Dolby Digital Plus sounds--I hope it works the Toslink output. I personally will be using my iPad or Phone to deal with Facebook, twitter, etc -- even though image retention and burn-in are much less likely to be a problem on modern plasmas, I don't really feel like tempting fate with having a static web browser interface on the screen while I am surfing the web.

hope this update helps!

4/15/23 Quick update

Tried the 3D. Here's what I got:

1 - 2D-3D conversion was nothing to write home about. I didn't know if it was working half the time. Maybe I did something wrong, but it just gave me a headache.

2 - Straight up 3D is awesome. Watched beginning of Hugo and found it hard to press "Stop". If you are into the 3D, you MAY want to get the 55" for a more immersive experience, but the 50" was fantastic, regardless. I still think the glasses make your eyes get tired, but still--the depth is really great, and the sense of immersion with "floaty-bits" was really top notch, at least in "Hugo". Look, 3D might look brighter on the LED/LCD set I had before, but there was a sense of depth here that I felt lacking in the Samsung I tried out.

3 - I have a few "THX" Blu-rays. I watched them in "THX Cinema" mode and they looked awesome. Maybe THX is not necessarily just hype?

4 - Demo'ed the streaming services. Vudu's HDX format is no joke--it looks incredible, close (from my viewing distance) to Blu-ray, totally. HOWEVER, I could not get Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (which is supposed to sound GREAT) output from the Toslink output on the TV. I am pretty sure DD+ requires HDMI, so that explains it. Still, DD+ includes the DD 5.1 mix and that sounded great. I was really impressed with the Vudo service and I think I will use it. Amazon and Netflix both looked great as well. I still like the AppleTV UI, but this ain't half bad.

Note: I talked to someone on the Panasonic "Raise the Bar" tour and she acknowledged that the iOS remote control app had some issues (the Android one is supposed to work fine) and that my problem (the keyboard not working) was going to be fixed soon. It was kind of cool that she knew about that.

Finally, I put up some new photos showing a few off-axis viewing examples, a bird's eye view of the swivel angle, and some shots showing Vudu and Amazon content.

thanks-m

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a plasma that looks good with the lights on., June 12, 2012
Sheshechic (Suffolk, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this tv to replace a LCD that had bad off angle views and weak shadow details. The room is bright during the day and I often watch tv with a light on unless we're watching a movie. The THX Bright Room mode is nearly perfect out of the box. I lowered contrast and brightness a bit and turned up color a few ticks. Watching shows like Game of Thrones was breath taking and bright movies like The Fall with all that light and vibrant colors was mesmerizing. And what amazed me even more is the way the image got even better after about 2 days and again after about 2 weeks.

For those who are agonizing over whether to buy the ST50 or GT50, here is my advice- if you have a light controlled room, will most likely only use one mode and will you're willing to have it calibrated to attain the best possible picture - then buy the ST50. If you want a dark room mode, a bright room mode and you're not so sure that you want to spend money on professional calibration, then buy the GT50 and never wonder if you made the right choice. The GT50 offers 2 THX modes that are awesome right out of the box and the Custom mode has professional color settings that can be adjusted easily and will offer a reference picture if professionally calibrated.

When the GT50 is fed a very good signal such as HD or blu-ray the image is natural, bright, has great color and contrast and the shadow details are the best I have ever seen. I was watching a notably dark movie and could see the detail in the corduroy of a man's black jacket. Wow! Hair has never looked so good on tv. As with any other display, GIGO- bad signals look bad. If you never owned a big screen tv then you should know that it makes all the bad stuff much more obvious and offensive. You should also know that just because a station is HD it doesn't mean that the old stuff is upgraded and will look like blu-ray or even HD for that matter. I think it's a shame that some of HBO and AMC can still be so bad even with newer programming. Shame on them. If you think any of this is the TVs fault then pop in a blu-ray and see what your tv can really do with a good signal and then you'll know who the true offender is. If you are using a set top box from your cable provider or satellite service be sure that you have the newest HD model available and that the settings are right for HD.

This tv offers a dual core processor which improves app response and may help with future apps too. I'll take a dual core over single core any day, considering that tablets now have quad core, why would anyone interested in using apps or the internet even consider a single core processor? BTW, wireless was very easy to setup and updating happens without a hitch.

There's not a tv out there that is perfect and certainly this tv has a few flaws too. However, my rating is based on what's available, not dreams. The GT50 does have dithering (inherent to plasma tech), DSE (dirty screen effect), does not offer the same tools (isf) for picture adjustment that some manufacturers do and the web browser does not support Flash Player- only HTML 5. IMO, the dithering isn't too bad and is often subtle when it does show up, but can be bad with lower quality signals. If you have a lot of dithering (or sparkles) try lowering your brightness setting. I've only seen DSE once during a subway shooting scene that was dark and is improved when using a less bright mode.

I only hear buzzing if my ear is 2" or less from the white part of the screen. Plasmas shouldn't buzz very much more than this. The tv does not have brightness pops or floating blacks either.

This tv is well worth the investment. If you're coming from LCD and really want to love a plasma check this one out in THX Bright Room. ;)

Update: I exchanged this tv for the 55VT50 a week ago and I am returning the VT50 to get the 60GT50 back again. IMO, the VT is only very slightly better at handling reflections, blacks are slightly better but not much, shadow detail out of the box was not as good as the GT and the VT will definitely need professional calibration to achieve what might be a significant improvement over the lower models and none of the flaws associated with the ST & GT are any better on the VT- it is not better at motion handling. So my opinion it that the improvements with the VT are not significant enough to justify the price difference, especially not when comparing sets of equal size. I love the picture so much on the GT50 that I don't feel compelled to get it calibrated and that is just not true about the VT50. Also, the 5" size difference was enough to change the experience I had, while watching John Carter I couldn't help but clearly understand what was missing. The 60GT50 is coming home to stay and I can't wait until it gets here. 8D

BTW, thank you Amazon for the price match. '''

Update: 1-6-13 This tv still looks amazing and even more so after updating the settings in Custom. We still use the THX bright room settings when it's really bright outside and the shades are all the way up (windows are now directly across from the tv). There is still glare but no worse than on other tvs and not as bad as on some. Blacks still look good even with all that light shining directly on the set. I have seen no image retention while watching tv and I do not hunt for it. We do nothing special to prevent image retention either, we watch anywhere from 1-3 hours of MSNBC daily and hubby has been watching a ton of football.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a great price on a smaller GT50 for another room.

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem Image Rention, December 4, 2012
I purchased this TV in August 2012 and have been extremely happy with it, the picture is excellent. A few days ago I noticed that I had an image showing on the screen on all my channels, a retained image from a channel I watch frequently. I contacted Panasonic through email and they advised me run an "Anti-Image Retention" scan in the Setup menu. I ran the scan for the full 15 minutes and the problem still persists so I let them know. They advised me to call the Panasonic customer care center due to my television most likely requiring service. I phoned and was told image retention was not covered under warranty and gave me some tips on how I might be able to get rid of it. I wanted to pass them on to everyone:
-Use dimmer brightness
-Don't stay on one channel too long, periodically switch channels
-Run the "Anti Image Retention Scan" twice a day until image fades
-Don't run a channel too long that has a still image on it
-Use standard mode instead of vivid

It would have been very helpful to have received this information with the TV's set-up quide. I had no idea this type of problem existed. And if I knew the problem was a possibilty I certainly would not have purchased a plasma television let alone pay $1600 for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture and Great value for your money, April 19, 2012
I bought this TV to replace my previous Panasonic TV which lasted for 7 long years and 4 moves without a scratch or a problem.
The GT50 produces stunning pictures, some of the best I have seen. I looked at a number of different TVs and brands from edge lit LEDs, back lit LEDs to Plasmas. This TV has one of the best picture quality in my price range. It also offers a comprehensive list of practical features ( no gimmicks like gesture response etc). The on board dual core processor offers smooth performance while browsing, watching online movies etc. No question about this offering the best value for your money in terms of both features and functionality. I also like the look of the TV. I am not a big fan of the edge less design offered by brands such as Samsung or LG. The GT50 has a thin glass like edge which actually makes the picture stand out better against the background.

The only negatives I have is, I wish it came with 3D glasses. The glasses themselves cost 50$ a piece and for a family of 4 I am looking at another 200$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, inky blacks, brilliant colors, Panasonic's GT50 plasmas are nothing short of amazing., June 21, 2012
I picked up my Panasonic TC-P50GT50 50" plasma on June 7th. I have previously owned a TC-P42S2 and TC-P50VT20 plasmas from Panasonic. The S2 model suffered from fluctuating brightness but I never did see the black levels rise noticeably like I did on my friend's TC-P42G10. The TC-P50VT20 had far less noticeable fluctuating blacks than the S2, but the black levels did rise and couldn't be considered "inky" by any means, although the overall picture, contrast, colours, etc., were simply stunning.

The GT50? WOW! What a great set. First of all you won't believe how incredible light this TV is. If it weren't so big you'd easily be able to lift it yourself but because of the width you really need a second person to help you mount it. It's only 1.6" thick, a huge difference from the VT20 series. The screen filter has also changed and you don't notice reflections as much but the purple hue is also not as pronounced, if at all, as the VT20 and Pioneer Kuro plasma sets show.

I haven't paid for a calibration yet, I'm waiting for DeWayne (D-Nice) to post his settings at High Def Junkies to see how much improvement I get over the THX Cinema settings. I have a room with very controlled lighting and double thick black curtains over my window, so even in daytime it is very dark. I do not need the "THX BRIGHT ROOM" setting although it still looks pretty great in the dark, but it's too bright. I am currently using THX CINEMA with the Sharpness turned down to 0 as that's almost always the level I see with Panasonic sets that have been calibrated.

Inky black levels on a Panasonic, finally. Okay with nothing on the screen you can clearly see that the TV is turned on, but again I'm in a pitch black room. The same thing happens with Kuro sets. But boy this is a really deep black level and with even a little bit of material on the screen the effect on the human vision allows the bezel or any black bars you're watching with a 4:3 or 2.39:1 source (and thereabouts) to disappear into the dark. It's a wonderful experience to see your image floating in space...of course other than the red LED light for power but you can cover that if you want, it doesn't prevent the remote from working. Yes, the picture is beautiful, colours look wonderfully rich but not over-saturated, contrast level from ALL angles in my quite wide seating area is gorgeous (suffer in your jocks LCD owners!) and those blacks are just delicious. Yes I wish I had the money 5 years ago to buy a Kuro new, some people I know managed to get the KRP-500M's for $1,600 shipped just before Pioneer exited the market, but it's 2012 now and I'm pleased that I have a great option for a television. I would love to have the extra $1,000 to move to the VT50 and get 96Hz mode and the additional calibration options, but in all honesty the GT50 really delivers and from what I hear so too does the ST50 model. I got a deal on this TV where it was going to cost the same whether I chose the UT50, ST50 or GT50 (don't ask, I can't tell) so it made sense to get this one.

The 3D, some discussion has been made of some ghosting but if you adjust to 48Hz mode there is none, and the 3D is really well done. Even better are Panasonic's new 2012 glasses. They might feel a little cheap but they're very comfortable, have additionally wide legs around the eyes so they do a good job of blocking out any ambient light that your TV is throwing off if that's your only light source in the room, and at $50 from Amazon they're a bargain compared to the older glasses. The new Bluetooth standard means these glasses will work with other manufacturer's sets, and so will theirs. So for $20 if you want a couple pairs of extra glasses for company the Samsung glasses are a good deal, but the Panny glasses are definitely the bee's knees for your own personal use.

There is some minor image retention noticeable on these new 2012 sets when you have a logo or something very briefly on the screen then go to pitch black, but under normal viewing conditions this has not affected my enjoyment at all as it seems to be removed immediately upon viewing anything else.

I don't care for 2D > 3D conversion. I tried it a few times and some stuff looks okay but anything red stands out way more than it should and really...it just pales in comparison to 3D. Pick up any of the animtated 3D Blu-ray discs like Pixar or Dreamworks stuff if you want to see how really good 3D looks. Only CON with this set is that it no longer comes with Avatar, lol. That's a good 3D demo disc also.

Also I don't care for any of the apps. In fact I'd love to see Panasonic offer a top of the line above the VT series that doesn't have any fancy schmancy apps, no speakers, just a monitor like the Pioneer KRP-500M and KRP-600M, just for those that only care about picture quality. Maybe it might even be cheaper than the VT? Just an idea. For me I bought this TV only for viewing Blu-ray, broadcast HD and sometimes DVD. I would rather watch internet streaming material on my PC where the flaws in the picture aren't exacerbated as much as they are with a good display. I don't want my TV online, big brother is always looking for new ways to watch what you're doing.

The new GT50 is slim and sexy, gorgeous picture, very light and has a small footprint too due to its thin bezel. Finally Panasonic makes a sexy, attractive frame/bezel! Well done Panny. I give this set full marks and recommend it highly to anyone who lists overall picture quality as one of the most important things they're looking for.

Update > here are some recommended settings from D-Nice. They are recommended to be used after following the panel prep procedure (Google it) but honestly, they look great anyway and even better than the THX Cinema mode.

Picture

W/B Low R: +10
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +2

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.6 (50/55" models) 2.4 (60/65" models)
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***

Advance Picture
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Worth the price!, April 11, 2012
I purchased a Samsung series 8000 TV and loved it. Unfortunately a dead pixel appeared, so I did a little more homework and decided to go with a plasma, which are praised for quality, affordability, and deep and realistic blacks. I am pleased with my purchase.

Pros:

*Picture looks stunning. I was watching a show on Netflix, and I never noticed how red the main characters hair was until watching from this TV. It was so realistic, even the wrinkles were on his face. My Samsung that was 33% more expensive did not show this!

*Blacks are deep and realistic, especially in night scenes. Usually you may see a glowing black during night scenes, but the darkness it pitch black, which makes it so much more pleasing to the eye.

*Backlighting is perfectly even. The LED had blotches of uneven backlighting; this one is perfect

*Built in WiFi, Netflix, apps, etc. are good quality and easy to navigate

Cons:

*Menus are designed in a primitive way. Compared to the flagship Samsung, these will seem very 2006 style

*Thicker than LED, but not by much; I was surprised with how thin it was.

*TV is not sexy like some of the others. It is more industrial, and less "contemporary" and "ultra-modern"

*Remote could use a makeover. However, the buttons are large and easy to use.

This TV is an astounding value, and I highly recommend purchasing it because of the advantages Plasma TV's have. You will not be disappointed.

Update: I did some comparisons of the LED before the shipping company came to pick it up, and my opinion was wrong. I did notice this Viera has exceptional side to side viewing angles. There is just a slight dimming if you stand above in front of the device. Thanks to the person who pointed this out.

I also want to praise the SD card reader for allowing me to upload my downloaded .avi files and enjoying them on the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing television!, April 27, 2012
I received my new Panasonic TC-P55GT50 last week and have been amazed by the picture quality. I previously owned a Samsung PN58A650 from around 2008 and thought it had a nice picture -- the Panasonic blows it out of the water! Gorgeous inky blacks, amazing levels of detail EVEN IN VERY DARK SCENES (the guy who said detail was missing must have poor input signal, or a bad set) and beautiful colors. This thing blows me away -- the picture quality is THAT MUCH BETTER than my Samsung... practically night & day. It handles motion like nothing I've seen before. Fast motion on the Samsung would cause some slight blurring (at least I could notice it), but you don't see anything like that on this TV. There is absolutely no reason to buy an LED/LCD when you have something like this available. Here are some highlights & common areas of concern:

Image Retention

None! My old Samsung had a little bit of noticeable IR when you watched something with black bars or a static image/channel logo. This set displays absolutely NO IR so far!

Brightness Pops

None! I'm a hockey fan and haven't seen any of the brightness pops that were noticed on last years models.

Reflections

Yes, the screen does reflect a little bit but this is no different than any other plasma and the vast majority of new LED sets. That said, the picture is so bright that I really don't notice it much and it doesn't bother me -- and I have my set in a fairly bright room full of windows.

Buzzing Sound

Not noticeable or distracting. I'm sitting 9 feet away from the TV and can't hear any buzzing. If I stand right beside the TV and put my head near it, I can hear a slight electronic buzzing sound. Big deal, I don't watch the TV on mute so I would never hear the buzzing even if I sat directly in front of it all the time.

Motion Handling

This is the #1 reason why I still won't consider an LED or LCD. My eyes are sensitive to the motion blur and it gives me a headache. We also own a small 32" LCD with great picture quality, but it all goes to hell when there are fast moving objects on the screen. I did a side by side comparison with this TV and a top-end Samsung LED. The LED is much improved over past models, but still no where near as clear as this plasma. This new Panasonic even blows away my old Samsung plasma. Stanley Cup hockey playoff games are an absolute dream on this screen!

One last final note -- the white glove delivery service was superb! They arrived on time, took great care with my TV and didn't leave until it was fully connected and tested. Thank you Amazon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic GT50 - 50 inch from Amazon, June 24, 2012
It has been 2+ months now since I have owned this TV... The picture quality is amazing to say the least:) Amazon is great in all respect and I couldn't recommend more. I have read a lot of review on Google, comparison GT50 Vs ST50; with most of them recommending ST50 strictly based on VALUE. No comments except to say I love this TV and my decision to purchase it. Could recommend anyone for a Budget(=< $2200) any Panasonic HDTVs 2012 model, best options in my opinion.
Anyways some useful stuff; I have used this configuration and it greatly improved PQ

TC-P50GT50 (aged 100 hours)

--Picture menu

Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

For comparison purposes I'm also including my THX Cinema settings, which are very close to default aside from the Contrast bump to bring up light output.
Comparing the two, the greenish cast of THX is evident and makes for an inferior picture.

Picture mode: THX Cinema

Screen format: FULL
HD Size: Size 2
[others grayed out]

--PC adjustments: Grayed out

--HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture:
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: TK
24p Direct in: 60Hz

Hope it helps... Regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Picture Quality. Best Bang for Your Buck in this Price Range, December 19, 2012
Robert J. Kibler (Crofton, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
Pre-purchase Research:
About every five to seven years I buy a new television. Unlike most people who see a set they like and buy it on the spot, I take my time and research it in depth before spending my hard earned money. After giving it some thought I determined I wanted a television between 46 inches and 50 inches with the following features: HDTV, Smart TV, 3D, at least 3 HDMI ports and the most important thing was to get the model with the best picture quality available for my money.

When I started this process my intention was to buy an LED television, but after researching it, I quickly discovered plasma still had the best picture quality (better screen uniformity, smoother action tracking and better blacks), especially if you have a dark room, which I do . I spent about three weeks researching televisions and all roads pointed towards this model. Cnet.com said it was one of the best televisions they tested in 2012. The only television they said had a higher picture quality was the Panasonic VIERA TC-P55VT50, which is a step up from this television and is Panasonic's top-of-the-line model. I considered that model, but it was approximately $900.00 more, which put it out of my price range.

After two weeks of on-line research I went to my local Best Buy store to see it in person. After entering the store I was met by a number of salesmen, who quickly demonstrated they knew a lot less than me about televisions. I have always found this to be absolutely pathetic. After a quick search I found the GT50 in their Magnolia Living Room area. It was set up in a small, dimly lit room along with a Sony and a Samsung 7100 series LED. All three were playing the same Blu-ray disc, which was a demo disc, which featured a number of clips from various movies: Sucker Punch, Jurassic Park, a few Disney cartoons, the recent Alice in Wonderland flick and a few other movies. The first thing I noticed was that the LED TVs were far brighter, but the blacks weren't as black. The Sony, although a great picture, tended to be a little on the blue side. The Samsung also had a great picture, but the colors were unnaturally bright and didn't seem real when compared to the Panasonic. The Panasonic's picture was much smoother, the blacks were deeper and the overall picture seems more real. Soon another salesmen walked in and asked if I needed some help. We started talking about televisions, but I didn't tell him my thoughts on any of them, I just played dumb. After 10 minutes of talk I was somewhat impressed with his knowledge of home audio and video products. Clearly he was not your average Best Buy employee. Finally I asked him if he had around $1500 to spend on a television, which one would he buy. He immediately pointed to the Panasonic GT50. He then stated his reasons, which were all the things I had already read about on line. I knew he was being honest because the GT50 wasn't the most expensive television. It was actually a lot cheaper than most on display. Normally I would expect a salesperson to try and sell me the most expensive thing they had on display, but he didn't. Again he impressed me. We then spoke a little more in depth and I asked him if the GT50 on display had been calibrated. He then pointed out the fact that it wasn't even hooked up using HDMI cables and that it hadn't been calibrated. For whatever reason, most televisions on display are hooked up using the component inputs. Although you can get an HD picture using these, HDMI inputs produce a much higher quality picture. Considering how it was hooked up, I really liked the picture quality and knew it could only get better from there. So after another week of research I determined I was going to purchase this television. Now to find the best deal.

Order & Delivery:
After three weeks of research and shopping I found out that Amazon had the best price, which didn't come as a surprise to me. Brick and mortar stores claim they will match the price, but in my experience that doesn't include delivery and tax. Amazon also gave me a fourteen day low price guarantee, free shipping with "advanced delivery" (includes: unboxing, set up, inspection and box/package removal), no tax, 2% back in Amazon rewards (approximately $25), and free thirty day over the phone tech support. I couldn't find a store out there who could even come close!
I ordered this television on Tuesday, November 19th, 2012 from Amazon.com. During the check-out process they offered the delivery date of Friday, November 23rd, 2012. I was surprised they would be delivering the day after Thanksgiving, but I was happy to schedule it for that day. I choose delivery between 9am and 12 noon. Later on that evening I received an email confirmation from the delivery company. During the evening of Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 I received a reminder email from the delivery company. Thus far I was happy with their communication. On Friday I was up early and promptly cleaned out my entertainment center and prepared for delivery. I waited all morning, but no TV. At approximately 1230pm I received a phone call from Eagle. The driver stated he was running behind schedule and should be at my home around 2pm. He was polite and apologetic. Around 2:30pm the delivery truck showed up and the driver installed my new TV. He was polite, had a great deal of respect for my home and was very friendly. He was in and out in about 30 minutes. After he unboxed and set up the TV he and I did a quick inspection and he briefly went over the controls with me. I then signed the delivery confirmation papers, filled out a brief survey and he was on his way. He offered to remove the box and packing, but I opted to keep it just in case there was an issue and it had to go back (I'm sorta anal about things like that).

Amazon's TV Low Price Guarantee:
I purchased the television for $1295.00. Four days later the price dropped to $1139.00. I then phoned Amazon and spoke to a Rep. He quickly researched the price drop and stated he would refund me the difference of $156.00, but he suggested I wait the full fourteen day period before doing that. He further explained that I was only entitled to one price drop guarantee, so if the price dropped further in the next few days, Amazon would not refund me the difference a second time. He then made a note on my account that I called in with the price of $1139.00, and if the price went up from there I could still call in and get that price. I thought this was really great of him to help me out like that. So I waited the full fourteen days and the price didn't budge one way or the other. I made a quick call and got refunded the difference of $156.00

Advanced Set-Up and Calibration:
Although this set looks pretty good right out of the box, I HIGHLY recommend you calibrate it to get the best possible picture. The THX picture setting is the best preset it has built in, but the calibration settings posted on CNET are far better. After playing with the presets and comparing them to the settings on CNET, I decided to go with their settings, and I can't explain to you how happy I am with the picture quality of this set.

Overall Performance:
As I said, the picture quality is amazing. Even though its set to 2D, a lot of new movies look like they are in 3D. We watched Captain America (the new movie) just because the picture quality was so absolutely amazing. I DVRed that movie and use it to demonstrate to friends the picture quality of this set, all of which have been seriously impressed. I'm also a pretty big gamer and have an Xbox 360 and a PS3 hooked up via HDMI. Both look amazing. I recommend setting the picture to "Game" mode when gaming, but not for DVD or Blu-Ray playback. Use the custom settings for both of them. When set to "Game", the colors are accentuated and are so much brighter and really pop. I also have a desk-top computer hooked to this set, which acts as a media server on our home network. I have read about issues with screen burn in, so I have totally cleared off the desk-top, hidden the start bar and set the background to black. I also set a screen saver. I have had no issues with screen burn in and video playback looks great.

Overall Assessment after Three Weeks:
I couldn't be happier with this television. The picture and build quality are top notch in its price range. I honestly don't think you can get a better bang for your buck, and I highly recommend Amazon for this great customer service and its delivery program. You will be hard pressed to find a brick and mortar store that can even come close to what they offer. I love this television so much that I'm actually considering buying another one for my living room. If anything changes and I have a negative experience with this set, I'll be sure to update this review. For now, I'm giving this set and Amazon five stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Purchase Update, August 4, 2012
I have been enjoying this TV for two months. Great picture and THX light helps for bright rooms. The problem is image retention or burn in. I called Panasonic and their is no warranty for this issue. I thought i was careful breaking it in and Panasonic said their is no break in period. Now I do watch CNBC in the morning and I have a stock ticker line image burnt in as well as the HD+ sign. I tried using the image scrolling bar to remove image, it is built into the Panasonic menu and Panasonic suggested using it but to no avail at this point. I'm watching other news channels to see if that helps but so far still have the problem. While watching DVDs an other materials it can be some what overlooked. I'm not sure I have many choices now as to what to do besides live with it and hope over time it goes away. This is not what I excepted from such a highly reviewed TV.
I have a 6 year old Panasonic plasma without this problem. Be aware I'm not the only one with this problem check out the AVS forums. Still as I said great picture.[[ASIN:B00752VL8G Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT50 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV.
Update 10/25/2012
After having more time with the TV I'm updating my review. I raised it from 3 stars to 4 stars. Yes it was very difficult to remove the image retention and I haven't removed it completely, tho it is better. The picture quality has improved I changed the settings from Cnet's to a setting I pick up from High Fi Junkies. Someone had their set calibrated by Best Buy and put the settings online which are excellent. Also I bought a Vizio 215 sound bar that has improved the sound. So overall the TV is performing great.

Rate and Discover Movies