on May 24, 2011
Size Name: 46-Inch
My husband and I didn't do our research when looking for a new television. We bought a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD/LED TV, primarily because it was the last one in stock of last year's model at $400 off, and we just can't resist a good deal. The picture was beautiful if you looked at it straight on. Unfortunately, we have a couch with a side-angle view, and the picture faded considerably when viewing from the couch. We decided to give that TV to my mother-in-law, who had an old tube non-HDTV. She also has a narrow TV viewing room and is thrilled with it. Next we bought the Panasonic TC-P42S30. We got it because it was the only 42 or 46 inch plasma TV in any store near us with 1080p. I liked the picture, but it wasn't nearly as good as the Sony Bravia straight on. After a week, we decided we really wanted a 46 inch TV. We took the P42S30 back, and I ordered the P46ST30 from amazon.com. I was nervous about ordering such an expensive item online since I have had delivery items stolen from my front porch before. Not to worry--Amazon's delivery company called us in advance to arrange a delivery time. It wasn't just left sitting on the porch. We set it up last week, and the picture is beautiful. In the opinion of a non-techie person, the ST30 series is clearly superior to the S30 and well worth the extra cost. We're not even interested in 3D. I don't think the picture is quite as good as the Sony Bravia straight on, but it's very close. And we can watch it from the couch. I recommend this television to anyone who wants a sub-50 inch plasma TV.
on July 4, 2011
Size Name: 46-InchVerified Purchase
I bought this TV on 6/18/11, as a father's day gift for ME! Received it on 6/24. The delivery was about a couple of hours late. I cancelled my daughters music lessons because I cannot drive her. Advice - even though the website gives you a choice of a 2-hr window for delivery, pencil out 4 hrs worth.

After running slides for 24 hrs, I ran a few shows just to see if the set works. The best picture was the HD broadcast of Wimbleton. It was awesome. After seeing other channels and media on the set for about 30 min, I started running slides again.

July 4, 2011: HD channels look great. Too bad I only get 10 of them. I am particularly impressed with the newscasts. Be aware that HD channels does not always broadcast HD shows. Some shows in HD channels still looks better in my 32" Sony CRT. Shows that come in as 410p resolution, does not show as well, compared to my Sony CRT.

It will costs me more than $50/mo to subscribe to more HD content. I'll have to mull it over to see if it's worth that much for me.

Blu-ray "Matrix" is great. Always thought Trinity was pretty and and an a-kicker, but after seeing her in Blu-ray I realize she has a beautiful face.

Blu-ray "Up" did not pop-out using the settings I used with regular films. The kids wanted it to have vivid and bright colors. he Vivid setting seems too saturated for my taste. I have yet to find the settings that I like when viewing cartoons like Up.

The Avatar 3D looks great, but I found the fast moving scenes hard to watch. The main subject in the fast scenes look good, but it's hard to view the fast moving background - I had to make a conscious effort to look away. Scenes where there are slow panning or stills, the 3D is a pleasure to view.

I bought the TV and the 3D package as a deal. But I would recommend to just get the TV and pass on the 3D package if it means having to buy it for a couple hundred dollars. I am just not into 3D. My kids were really enthusiastic about the 3D, but they can only use the glasses for 30 min at a time. If you can find someone who will let you use the 3D glasses and movie for a day, do it. It can save you a good chunk of money.

Netflix looks great too, as long as the content is in HD. It takes a minute or two to load the film, but there has been no hiccups, or buffering issues. When watching the old TV series "Twin Peaks," there were plenty of rebuffering. This was midday (PST) on a Sunday. Note: I have the TV hardwired to my router but my the internet maximum is 1.5 Mbps.

Other random thoughts:

I looked at many TVs at several stores and I've concluded that TVs that show badly in the showroom should not be eliminated from your list of possible choices. The source and the showroom environment are major factors in the picture quality (PQ). Sometimes, show rooms just use the cable lines (RG6) to show content. HDMI makes a difference. My panasonic showed poorly in the showroom, but it shows great at my house.

Whenever I make an major purchase, I always worry about getting a lemon. But I did not see any of the problems others have seen with this TV.

Choosing internet choices is easy. I like that there is a parental control. This TV is able to play the movie/video in my network server. My Sony S470 (Blu-ray, 3D) does not play them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2011
Size Name: 55-InchVerified Purchase
Let me preface this review by saying I rarely do product reviews unless if I am exceptionally incensed or impressed by a product. This is an unusual case, as I feel both ways about this TV. I've had it in my possession for about 3 months now, and can say without a doubt that it is one of the best viewing experiences I've had. Crisp, vibrant colors, and no noticeable delay or ghosting.

However, after the first month, I noticed some burned-in images from a videogame that was played fairly frequently (~6 hours a week for the first 4 weeks, if I were to put a number to it). I was startled by this, and discontinued use of this game on the TV, and began a rigorous process of playing fullscreen movies back to back for 5-6 hours a day for about a week. The image retention did diminish somewhat, but did not completely fade. I backed off of this rigorous flushing of the phosphors, but have not put anything static on the screen in the last 2 months (barring a few seconds here and there, naturally) in order to let this work itself out. Unfortunately, the ghost of the retained image is still there in some capacity.

I decided that this can't be right and called Panasonic's customer service today, only to be informed that the warranty does not cover any kind of image retention. He mentioned that since image retention is caused by the customer 50% of the time, Panasonic corporate has decided that 100% of these issues are to be considered "damaged by the user", since they otherwise would have to settle with more cases to solve. To their credit, I inspected the warranty, and in plan English, it does say "...nor does it cover markings or retained images on the glass panel resulting from fixed images..." I tried reasoning with the support operator, saying that I've not even spent that much time enjoying the TV yet, and yet it looks like I will be stuck with this retained image, possibly for the duration of the system's life. While understanding and friendly, they would not budge, nor would their manager. My only option is to contact a recommended repair facility and pay out of pocket to have this repaired, or of course, "deal with it".

On the one hand, the TV was relatively inexpensive (compared to LCDs in this size range), so I won't feel to badly stung if I should feel the need to replace it in a year or two. However, I find it embarrassing for Panasonic to put so little faith in their products. I spend a small fortune each year on tech and gadgets, and have yet to run into another big-ticket item that the manufacturer was so willing to admit is sometimes problematic without offering any recourse except paying out of pocket for repairs.

Panasonic, you make a fantastic looking screen. However, I will not purchase another screen from your brand until both the reliability and customer service has improved. I hope this review does not come off as completely scathing of the product, but more as a cautionary tale.

edit 10/11/11: Upping this to a 4 since the image quality is still excellent, and the error was admittedly due to my own error. Beware, though, and really work in your screens when you first get them as has been advised in these comments.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 25, 2012
Size Name: 60-InchVerified Purchase
OK, so the panel isn't perfect. At less than $1,500, it's not supposed to be. But it is a great value. Reference material shines on this thing. DVD's and Blu-Rays look phenomenol. Xfinity HD cable also looks great.

I've had this panel for over 4 months now and it has performed flawlessly. I had some really loud buzzing but it was just a loose screw in the A-board, and I popped the back panel off and tighened it. Now I can only hear a faint buzzing sound with my ear up to the back of the panel.

Colors are great. Brightness is definitely improved vs. the 42" ST30 that's in the bedroom. Black levels are also noticeably deeper.

3D is fantastic. The wife loves it too and we watched Avatar in 3D using the xpand 103s and it was quite an immersive experience.

Network features work perfectly. No issues at all streaming Netflix these days (of course, an entire overhaul of my network to gigabit everything had something to do with it, I'm sure).
on May 3, 2012
Size Name: 65-Inch
First off, I read NUMEROUS reviews on this TV before purchasing it and I'll admit I was a little leery on getting this model due to the "fluctuating brightness" problem many people reported. I've had it for almost a week now and very happy to say that I have had NO problem what-so-ever! HOWEVER, if you do get or have a TV with this problem you can contact Panasonic and they will send you a firmware update on a SD card to update your TV with. I made sure I contacted them about this problem before I made this big of a purchase.

Now about the TV: The picture is awesome when you have HD. It has 3 HDMI inputs and one of them supports ARC, which allows audio and video to pass through with only the HDMI cable. I cannot attest to the wifi and all the different apps since I have a Roku player which does all of that and more for me. I would have at least tried it out, unfortunately where this TV is sitting, it's nowhere close to an ethernet cord or my wireless modem. You can buy a wireless USB adapter to plug in the USB input so you don't have to plug in your ethernet cord. I'm sure I'll eventually try this out and will update the results.

I've read that the best time to buy new TV's is in the fall because that's when all of that years models go on sale. Once I decided to get a new TV there was NO way I could wait that long! I really didn't have that many specifications that I absolutely needed on a TV. The main thing was a BIG screen, great picture, and not too complicated. This TV met and surpassed my expectations. I got this TV at my local Best Buy store for $1400.00. I was down for getting ANY type of TV as long as it worked and I didn't have to service it every few years. So that automatically took DLP TVs out of the equation since I would have to change the bulb in them fairly often. So then it was between LED and Plasma. ALL of the LED's I looked at (60in or bigger) were WAAAYYYY to pricey. And the only upside of LED being that it saves more energy than Plasma, I narrowed my search to Plasma's. Also I mainly watch sports and I've read that some 120hz LED's couldn't keep up when a fast picture went across the screen.

Since Panasonic is the "KING" of Plasma TV's I began looking at their line of products. Like I said earlier, I didn't need all the "bells and whistles" of the new 2012 line so I went for the most basic 2011 TV. Overall, this TV is BREATH TAKING!!! Trust me you will not regret having this in your home. It gives you a home theater experience without leaving the house. I noticed Amazon's price was right around $1700 when I purchased it and I looked at it today and its $2000! Crazy!!! If you do not want to spend this much money on a 2011 TV then look around at your local electronic stores. I just happened to get lucky. If you were to purchase this TV at Best Buy brand new in box it would cost you $1899. However, when I went and looked they only had 1 left and it was the display model. My initial thought was to stay away from it. So I left and kept researching TVs for the next couple weeks. I kept coming back to this model though. I pretty much had my mind set from day one, I just had to find the best price.

Personally, I have never made this big of a purchase on the internet so that kind of deterred me from buying it on Amazon. So, I go back to Best Buy and start looking at some of the positives of the display model instead of the negatives. All Plasma TVs say for the best "optimal" performace you should go through some type of process of breaking your TV in. Every manufacturer differs on the amount of time but if I bought the display model this process was already done and I could use it right away. Next, the price of the display was dropped to $1710 from $1899. And last, if the TV was going to be a "bad egg" you would already know! Plus it still came with the 1 year manufacture warranty if anything did go wrong down the road. Also, you have 6 months from the date of purchase to buy an additional 2 or 3 year warranty from Panasonic. While this seemed like a good deal I didn't want to hassle with calling Panasonic and going thru that whole process of waiting for a Panasonic tech to come out and service my TV, so I started looking into the "Black Tie" warranty offered thru Best Buy. I have this on my laptop and it has come in handy NUMEROUS times.

So, if by some CRAZY reason you find yourself debating on whether or not to purchase the floor model of a TV just be patient. I got lucky by having a GREAT Best Buy employee helping me. At first he said he could work a little bit on the price of $1710. I told him I really only felt comfortable spending $1500. So he asked if he could get it down to 15 would I walk out with it today. I told him maybe not today but def in the near future. So he went back and talked to his manager and came back with a price of $1550. I told him that I would go home and think about it and come back tomorrow. So, the next day I came in already planning on buying it for this price and started arranging how I was going to get it home and asking him the last questions in the buying process. He already knew I was going to buy it and I asked if there was anyway he could get it down to $1500. He went and talked to the manager and came back and said what price you would you walk out with it today? I said $1500. He goes "how's $1400 sound"? I thought he was just joking but sure enough he sold me the TV for $1400. Keep in mind he makes NO commission!!! And he already knew I was buying it! So, at that price I went ahead and got the 2 year "Black Tie" warranty from Best Buy for $200 bucks just to be safe. Even though I have NEVER had a problem with a TV going wrong but I've read SO many reviews of people having problems I wanted to have some sort of peace of mind.

The moral of the story is to be patient. Companys want to put out the best and newest products on display but if last years model is on the floor they don't have room to put it. They will do ALMOST anything to get the old products sold and the new ones on display! Normally I don't buy from Best Buy because they are so darn expensive. You can get the same item here on Amazon for half the price of Best Buy. I'm sure this is one of only a few exceptions.

I know the majority of my review wasn't about the TV itself but I wanted to think that maybe I could help somebody experience the joy I did when making a big purchase. Overall, this TV isn't the best or the most expensive but it does the job. The picture is as good as any TV out there and it's huge! Of course, like all flat panel TVs if you want to get as good sound as you do picture, you're gonna have to purchase a home theater system or sound bar to enhance your home theater experience. BUT the sound is still good and will be plenty loud if you don't. You just won't hear everything you could with external speakers.
on February 17, 2012
Size Name: 65-InchVerified Purchase
I was looking at this TV and Mitsubishi 82" since they are about the same price then I came to a local store to check them out in person. The Mitsubishi 82" is huge but its picture quality isn't that great, so dull and dim. I guess people will sacrifice quality for size. The store only had the 65vt30 on display and I loved it at the first sight; however, the VT was around $2800. The saleman told me about the ST30 and he said after calibration, both ST30 and VT30 are not much difference. I almost ordered the 65st30 in the store but sale tax bumped the price up a little bit. I went home and bought my TV on Amazon since they price matching and I got 24 months promotion with Amazon store card.

After I bought my TV on Amazon, Paul's TV had a sale at $1700 and Amazon refunded the difference right away after contacting them via my account. They added another $130 for white glove service and I'm glad they did since this TV is huge. I don't think I can carry it by myself. Amazon used Home Direct as the shipper and the agents from Home Direct were very professional. My TV arrived at a local warehouse two hours away around 5 days after shipped and the agents called me many times to update on the delivery schedule. I don't know why many buyers complained about Home Direct but I am extremely happy with them.

TV looks great before I even turned it on. The agents told me that they have been delivering a lot of Panasonic plasma TV recently and my TV is the biggest so they spent more time to make sure it arrives undamage. Everything went smoothly, no cracks, no scratchs, and the TV turned on fine with no buzz. My set was manufactured in August 11 and got new firmware updated. I follow the settings from avsforum and run the 100 hours slides. The picture quality is awesome and I am a happy camper.
on January 16, 2012
Size Name: 65-InchVerified Purchase
I bought the Panasonic Viera P65T30 in December of 2011 as a replacement for a 3-1/2 year old 52-inch Toshiba LCD TV in my bedroom. I went with plasma because between plasma and LCD, plasma looks smoother and more realistic to my eye, and the darks are darker. The latter was an issue with the Toshiba LCD in my bedroom: it literally lit up the room because the dark tones were not really dark. The 2007 vintage Toshiba was also a veritable space heater, and I hoped that newer TVs would be more power-efficient.

I decided on the Panasonic ST30 initially because Panasonic offered a 3D-ready 65-inch Plasma model that was reasonably priced. I initially leaned towards a less expensive 60-inch S34 model that CostCo has at a great price, but that model was not 3D ready, and reviews suggested that the ST series also uses a higher quality screen. As for pricing, what I found on Amazon was by far the best deal. Best price AND free shipping cannot be beat (CostCo wanted almost $100 just to ship). The crew even carried it upstairs and set it up.

How do I like it? The 65-inch screen is gratifyingly large compared to the 52-inch I had before. Picture quality is very good, especially with 1080p Blu-Ray movies, video games and such. With standard satellite HDTV, you can at times see that the same 1920 x 1080 pixels are stretched over a much larger screen, making the picture seem softer and lacking the trademark HDTV super-sharpness (which, I suspect, will be the marketing reason for switching to 3840 x 2160 when that becomes available). Overall, the picture is excellent, though the blacks are not as pitch-black as I had expected. Sound is quite good considering there really is no room for speakers in these super-thin new flatscreens.

Speaking of size and weight, the 65-inch Pana flatscreen is amazingly thin. Not waver-thin, but very thin, like two inches or so. However, it does weigh over a hundred pounds and the box is large, so don't think because you can carry a 37-inch box under your arm and pop it in the backseat of your car, you can do the same with a 65-incher. You can't.

As for 3D, the P65ST30 is ready for active 3D but doesn't come with glasses. I bought two sets of XPand X103 universal 3D glasses that work great. Problem really is that there is virtually no 3D content. The couple of 3D Blu-Rays I bought are eye-poppingly gorgeous on the big Pana, and some scuba video we recorded with a GoPro 3D camera setup looks absolutely stunning on this TV (the built-in media player had no problem reading it from the unit's SDHC card reader). There's a setting to make regular TV look 3D, but while it sort of works, it's reaching and I can't see anyone put on the glasses just to see a bit of depth on regular TV.

Another difference, btw, between the S30 and ST30 Series is that the latter has wireless WiFi in the form of a WiFi USB stick. I ended up not using it because it couldn't find my home network and so I just used a LAN wire instead.

Smart TV is all the rage, and for that the TC-P65ST30 has Panasonic Viera Apps. There's even a Viera app store where you can download additional apps. I used the apps to watch Netflix movies, Vimeo, listen to Pandora, etc., etc. It's a handy thing to have, though the Viera interface is a bit sluggish.

Overall, I am totally happy with the Panasonic TC-P65ST30 plasma TV, and Amazon certainly aced it with price and the free delivery. It's a huge step up in viewing experience and pleasure from my old 2007 LCD. Three years from now, it'll likely be obsolete as we'll have 3840 x 2160 resolution, full smart TV, and likely 3D without glasses (I can't see 3D really catching on with glasses), but for now this TV is exactly what I want and need.
on January 16, 2012
Size Name: 46-Inch
I bought this TV for a few reasons: the non-3D television was not in stock, the sales guy told me that the 3D television had a faster processor and I could not find a larger plasma television in my price range. If you are new to HD, then you need to know the basics: to get a 1080p image, you need your TV signal to be broadcast in HD, you need an HD receiver, and you need HDMi cables running to and from all your components. So your initial purchase will be more than just a television. This TV is great. The picture quality is awesome and the speakers are "decent." Again, if it's your first flat screen purchase, just know that you are never going to get great sound from a flat screen unless you purchase external speakers. Also note that this model of 3D television (Panasonic VIERA TC-P46ST30 46-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV) is "active" 3D - meaning it requires the more expensive, battery operated glasses. If you want to use the cheaper 3D glasses, you need to purchase a 3D TV that uses "passive" technology. This TV also has the VIERA options which allows you to use apps like Netflix and Skype, although I have not been able to test those features because I don't have a hard line connection to the TV and am using the wireless (and it seems slow or non-responsive on wireless). The reason I have not tested skype is because it seems this TV will only recognize a Panasonic brand camera (which I don't own). Lastly, I know all the rage is about LED, but it is so expensive. LCD is the old technology, and those TV's are heavier. We got PLASMA because there is a greater range of colors in PLASMA and the PLASMA image can still be seen clearly from all angles.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2012
Size Name: 46-InchVerified Purchase
You can't reasonably give this plasma TV a 5-star rating, because you can't just plug it in and enjoy a great picture. One star must be pulled for having to work for a great viewing experience.

The preset picture modes are poorly done, so others have opined. But if you adjust the picture just so, you get a great picture.

Go into Custom Mode to adjust as follows.

Picture Mode: Custom
Sharpness: 15
Color Temp: Warm 2
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off (important!)
Black Level: Light
24P Direct in: 60Hz
In Pro Settings Menu (White Balance)
W/B high R: +7
Gamma: 2.2
Panel brightness: Mid
AGC: +7

Source: 3d-tvbuyingguide.com/panasonic/panasonic-tcp50st30-p2.html#picset

Plugged the TV into the Internet router via cable. Wireless is for those looking for trouble. ;-) (Yes, I know wireless works (been there, done that), but nothing beats a hard-link for reliability.)

Much has been written about firmware updates for this TV. My set was manufactured 11/2011. I updated the firmware over the Internet connection without incident. TV is hunky dory; no issues.

Don't use 3D, and don't plan to. I don't need to be poked in the eye to be entertained.

Have the TV connected to an entertainment sound system. Can't tell you how the TV sound is, other than it has to be substandard to a multiple channel sound system. In short, money talks in optimizing the entertainment experience. But you know that; otherwise you wouldn't be ogling this TV (like I did a few weeks ago).

Bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player to accompany the TV. You want to buy a disc player made by the same manufacturer, so the remote controls, and other things, are integrated. In this case, I use the Blu-ray player remote control to control the TV, only needing the TV remote for setting adjustments and to watch Amazon streaming videos.

Used an HDMI video cable to connect to the Blu-ray player, and a digital audio out cable to connect to the sound system. Because analog is old school.

The TV remote is acceptable. Not stylish, but easy to read. The buttons are big enough, and well placed.

Being an Amazon prime member, I was pleased to discover how much is available for free from their streaming service. The HD quality is quite good, other than the idiocy of the MPEG algorithms that compress video, particularly patches of similar hue/value. Technology is only as good as the minds behind it.

This is my first 1080p HDTV, my first plasma, and my first experience with Blu-ray. Once adjusted, the TV delivers an impressive picture. I am quite pleased.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2012
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
Panasonic really does make the best plasma TV's, in my opinion. My roommate bought a 42 inch Panny 3+ years ago and it's still working perfectly to this day. However, he recently moved out and left my living room with a rather obvious void. Having enjoyed their products previously I immediately focused in on the 2011 Panny plasmas. I don't consider myself biased towards Panasonic because I have a 32 inch LG lcd and absolutely love it. However, for my plasma needs I consider Panasonic to be the best by far. The 50ST30 totally lives up to the hype. The picture is fantastic! Excellent blacks and whites, although the picture can sometimes read a little dark depending on what you're watching. I got lucky and received a Dec 2011 build, so no fluctuating brightness issues here. There was, unfortunately, a small dent in the back of the TV's vent but Amazon was very quick to issue me a fair and generous partial refund. I can honestly say that even without this discount the TV is still an incredible value. Sports, movies, and just general TV shows look excellent. I have also hooked up my laptop and used the TV as a monitor. Works like a charm! I haven't used the wireless features yet, nor have I tried the 3D. I'm not a 3D fan yet I decided to get this TV because of the great specs (not to mention all the 5-star ratings). I do agree with some of the other reviewers that the speakers are a bit weak, but my living room is the size of most people's bedrooms so it is more than loud enough for my needs. All in all, it's an attractive TV at an even more attractive price. As a long time Panasonic user, I highly recommend this TV!

Just a sidenote: Delivery was fulfilled through Pilot, and the whole process could not have gone smoother. The TV arrived within the guaranteed two hour window, and the deliveryman even installed the stand and helped me lift the TV right to where I wanted it. If you have the choice between couriers, go with Pilot!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations