on October 4, 2012
Size Name: 60-InchVerified Purchase
I love Plasmas, they own LCD and LED any day!

This TV is no exception, I got the 60", it's massive and the contrast of the picture is amazing!

The only gripe I have with it, is that if you have any light in the room, the TV will reflect almost like a mirror, so if you watch TV during the day more often than not, I advise you go for the model above the UT50 that has a layer to protect this from happening, since I pretty much only watch TV in the evening, this is more than I need.

The quality of the picture is amazing, the response time is also good which makes it perfect for gaming.

I also appreciate that this TV has a few nice useful apps like netflix! :)
on December 18, 2013
Size Name: 50-Inch
TV burned out twice in less then 2 years, and the second time Panasonic customer reps told me to buy a new tv or fix it, not their concern! Would never recommend another Panasonic product again.

On 3/22/2012, i purchased a brand new Panasonic Viera 50 inch television from a local retailer. Christmas day 2012 my less then year old TV stopped working and had a power issue. Panasonic provided me with a 3rd party authorized repair center. The TV was repaired outside a normal time range because the appropriate parts for repair were unavailable at the time. After repair the television appeared to work.

Today, while watching television the TV again stopped working. I chatted with a panasonic customer service representative for a few minutes who explained there was not anything they could do for me because i was out for warranty. She gave me the option of filing a complaint or speaking to a phone representative. I chose to speak to a phone representative.

I explained to the phone rep., that while watching tv, i heard a loud "pop", noticed the tv would not turn on, and then noticed the screen was cracked from the inside (i could feel the surface of the screen to be smooth). To which the service rep named Akash explained he could do nothing but refer me to a a company that i would have to pay to evaluate the cause of the issue. He explained that after this he would be able to take the next step, which might include covering a portion of the repair. I asked to speak to his supervisor.

His supervisor named Ramos explained the same. This being the second time i repair one of their flagship Plasma models in less then 2 years, i asked if their tv's life span is less then 2 years. He redirected my question and would no answer. Ramos initially explained that any person i spoke to would explain the same, and after much questioning finally redirected me to his Manager at my request.

I subsequently spoke with Otis who would not provide me with a way to contact him going forward. He explained i could only reference him on case# 30023160. I asked what they could do for me, this had become a tremendous inconvenience during the holiday season. Otis explained that there would be nothing he could do for me outside helping me pick out a new TV. Otis explained that i could look at his TV's online and he would sell me one. I explained that my TV was factory defunct (twice at this point) and i wanted them to support their product. I asked Otis if he had someone else i could speak to (his boss). Otis explained that He/She was possibly unavailable and i could not speak to them. I asked Otis if Panasonic TV sets are as a standard only made to last under two years, to which he would not reply and avoided the question.I asked if i could have an email address or phone number, or request a call back. To which he said no. I asked Otis if there was a way i could identify him during a complaint, and he said he was not going to give me his full name or contact information. I asked Otis when was the best time to call back and contact his boss, to which he said 9-5. It was 2:30 in the afternoon eastern time and this did not hold logic. I asked Otis if i could quote the fact that he expressed there was nothing he could do for me but offer me to purchase a new TV set. He explained that i could not record to conversation. I explained that i wanted a verbal quote. He said that there was nothing he was willing to do for me but help me purchase a new TV.

I think Panasonic's lack of customer service support of defunct products is atrocious and criminal. I will be posting this similar complaint at various outlets to spread awareness regarding the company and their ridiculous lack of customer support.
on March 21, 2012
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
Wow! After lots of research, I am glad I went with the Viera 50-inch plasma. I've never owned a plasma - you can definitely tell this is 600hz - the images move so crisp! The colors are so rich! Panasonic definitely knows how to make TVs.

The Viera Internet feature was very important for us. We decided to cut the cord (only using hulu, amazon prime, and our own media for now). I love that this is a built-in feature of the tv, so I do not have to run wires for Roku or Apple TV. We have this TV mounted (no cords, no cable boxes, only ethernet running threw the wall) - look greats, works great.

It is amazing to me that you can get a TV like this under 1000. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2012
Size Name: 50-Inch
Have had this set for just about a month and waited to see if I would like the set. I am very pleased with the performance of this set as compared to 2010 S2 model. 3d content has surpassed my expectations. A note to the people who say this set is dim take it out of standard mode and use either custom or cinema you will be able to tweak this for any room lighting environment. I mounted mine on the wall and have 2 windows to the left of the tv and with it on during the day and the shades up I do not get any washed out picture and no reflection on the screen in my situation however this screen does show reflections when off and the lights are on. The colors are excellent and the blacks in my opinion are inky black which really makes the screen colors pop. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this set again especially when I received a free panasonic 3D blu ray player bundled with it all for under a grand! Also I would recommend viewing 3D content in vivid mode and tweak it to your taste as the 3d glasses do make the viewing darker due to the shade of the glasses.
on April 19, 2012
Size Name: 50-Inch
I was in the market for a new HDTV and decided Plasma has come a long way and is the best picture. After enough internet research I decided to go to a big box store to see this in person and thankfully they had it. Although the picture is dimmer, that is when it's in factory "standard" mode. Switch to "Cinema" and your good. However, keep in mind brighter does not equal better.

I had a budget of $1K. I wanted no less than 46". I wanted 3D ready. I wanted 600hz (not that strange artificial 120hz those LCD's use), I wanted WiFi ready (adapter sold separately). I wanted apps. And I wanted it to look sexy mounted on my living room wall. After realizing if I wanted all these features, for under $1K, with a great picture, I needed to get this TV.

To that end, I didn't buy the TV based on the picture quality, because quite frankly in the store, it's impossible to get a solid idea. The lights are too bright, the cable signal is crappy, and you have a flourescent LED TV next to it that's too bright to look at. So it was a leap of faith. Once I plugged my Blu-ray player up to it, I knew I made the right decision. Awesome picture even from DVD's and it even makes my SD cable feed look good. Very happy I made went with the UT series.

Cons:

Screen has some glare, so make sure you put it in a space where you can control the ambient light. No PC input.

Overall:

Great features, great price, and great picture.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2013
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
50" hdtv 3D plasma Only $700.Thats insane! I am extremely impressed with this television. I replaced a 7 year old Samsung HDTV. A little problem with calibration but the picture is stunning. I bought this mostly for 3D and I'm not disappointed. The avengers look awesome through my ps3 and 2d\3d conversion works beautifully. I pretty much 3d everything.. lol.. only 2 HDMI and 1 component but I bought an HDMI switch with 5 ports and it works great. Get this TV .
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2012
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
Its a great TV. Buy the dongle so that you can get wifi to the TV. It opens up Viera's app center. Their list is a good size, could be better.....but they add every few weeks. If you are having problems connecting to your wifi, you are too fsr away from your access point. Or there are too many walls between the TV and access point. All these people having issues with wifi should not be involved with things they dont comprehend or have little patience for understanding. Now for the TV.....great picture. Buy it for a dark room because you will get reflections otherwise. Also be safe, turn the brightness down for the first hundred hours. It cant hurt. If you are a gamer, don't play too many straight hours. Burn in can happen.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2013
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
Great picture, great all-around. Then, 5 months out of warranty it stops working. I'll post an update once the service company comes and I find out how much it costs to fix.

By the way, Panasonic customer support: worst experience imaginable. Impossibly annoying and non-functional automated phone tree, if/when you finally get a real human being, they can't even hear you. This is supposed to be a technology company?

****update 050515**** Repair was about $300. But since then it's running like a champ, and that was well over a year ago. So, take your chances.
on June 26, 2013
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
amazing tv that only lasts for 1 year, or less. no wonder it's so cheap. customer service is AWFUL to try to get them to fix your tv. they'll cover it, but it's awful. might be better if it didn't fall under the warranty so you can save yourself the hassle and get something that doesn't totally suck. like a samsung.

UPDATE: took 6 weeks to get my tv fixed and 3 month later, it dies again. fun times.
on June 28, 2013
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
Owned this TV for one year and one week, and it failed. No storms, or power surges, or any other reason for failure. In the middle of watching a movie, the screen shut down, and the power light started blinking. Care to guess how long the warranty lasts? One year.

I won't go so far as to say that Panasonic programmed it to fail after the warranty went out, but clearly it was designed with parts that weren't intended to last much more than a year.

One month later:

Went online, found the testing flowchart that confirms which part failed, ordered the part through the local Panasonic TV repair shop, and put it in myself. Problem solved, for an extra $130 part/freight. Still angry it failed, but happy it was so easy to repair.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations