Bottom line: Beautiful picture (black is really black!), nice internet functionality, and little impact from the issues that have been noted here and elsewhere.

Published on June 25, 2012 by Drew Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Easily burns in.
I'm coming from a 6 year old 46 inch Samsung LCD and have never owned a plasma before. So my review will be based around the differences I noticed between my old LCD and the ST50.

Pros:

1. Image reproduction is all around amazing. Black levels are deep and the contrast is amazing.
2. When playing games (Consoles and PC) that are 60 FPS, the...
Published on June 30, 2012 by LordK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, Great Value, Few of the Issues You Are Worrying About, June 25, 2012
Drew Miller "@drewmillerATL" (Marietta, GA United States) - See all my reviews

Prior to making this purchase I did many hours of online reading that consisted of: CNET, AV/high def message boards and reviews, and Amazon reviews and comments. I asked myself the same questions most TV purchasers ask themselves: plasma vs. LED/LCD, Samsung vs. Panasonic, etc. I purchased the 60ST50 from Amazon and it was delivered in the middle of June 2012. By way of background, I own three other LCD's (one of them an LED/LCD) and this was my first foray into plasma. I felt like plasma was a low risk choice for this TV as it is going in a basement with no windows.

The general consensus online is that the ST50 is the best value available for an excellent picture. Always wanting to get the biggest bang for my buck, this consensus opinion was the number one factor in my decision.

As I said, I read a lot of reviews and, despite the consensus above, had a number of reservations because of issues that others encountered with the ST50. Here is a summary of my concerns and my findings. I should note that I ran the screen prep slides that you can find out there on the message boards and then played around with two different suggested calibration settings. I have no idea whether the screen prep slides are necessary and can't say whether they prepared my screen for calibration. What HAS been proven is that I am a serious nerd.

Screen buzzing: Some reviews have noted screen buzz. I was very concerned out of the gate as the screen prep slides have a white slide. When this slide was shown and all of the phosphors were glowing at 100%, there was a clear buzz emanating from the TV. You could hear it from everywhere in the small room where I was prepping the TV (what a nerd!). The good news is that the buzzing actually reduced over the time that I ran the slides. In a larger room watching actual TV content, it is not audible from in front of the panel even when the content is quiet. If you stick your head behind it, you can still hear a low buzz. My recommendation: do not buy this television if you plan to watch it from behind. Otherwise, if you will be watching it conventionally you should be relieved to hear that I have no issues with buzzing after the break-in period.

Viewing in a bright room: As noted, this television is for my basement but I had a chance to view it in a fairly bright room and with ceiling lights above. Generally, no issues. The filter works fairly well. I could see issues if you had a room with lots of bright sunlight where the windows could reflect off the panel. If that's your situation, you're probably considering LED/LCD anyway. Only you can decide what's right for your individual circumstances.

Image retention: Another early scare: my Directv rebooted and the directv logo was onscreen for 15 minutes or so. When it was finished the image was retained as a shadow for 30 seconds or so and then it went away. Gave me a quick scare but wasn't anything to be concerned about. I have had the menus open for decent amounts of time. I have watched channels with logos. I have watched several movies with black bars on the top and bottom. No further issues.

Hockey: The one entertaining guy in the Amazon reviews that had hockey issues might have scared me. But I don't watch hockey. I have, though, watched baseball, basketball, football, soccer, golf, track and field, etc. They all look great. No issues.

Some reviews have noted that the picture is too dark relative to an LED/LCD, has no pop, and looks washed out. I will tell you that the picture is different from an LED/LCD. This television has very lifelike pictures and colors. It's a very refreshing change. The best part of this television are the blacks which are really black. My wife, who usually doesn't notice such things, said, "Wow! The picture is so bright." (Hint for those that don't find it bright enough after calibration - adjust the gamma setting for instant brightness).

I really like this television and am happy with my purchase. If that changes over time, I will update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner winner chicken dinner, April 7, 2012
(EDIT: review of the 60" if that matters)
Where I'm coming from: I don't use 3D. I hate motion blur but I also hate "smoothing" technology. I haven't upgraded my sound yet so I'm using the stock speakers. I tried 3 plasmas from 2011 and each one had some sort of flicker or brightness pop that was just unacceptable. Here's my review.

IQ: Head and shoulders above what I've seen in the same price point of last years plasmas and this years LED. The colors are capable of natural skin tones and vibrant digital images. My wife and I randomly say "wow" while watching blu-rays. It's really impressive. Part of this success I attribute to...

Black levels: I was never out for the best black levels since it appeared to be expensive to have "the best". Now that I have a TV with amazing black levels I understand the draw and I must say it is worth it to seek that out when shopping. Dark scenes keep you immersed in what's going on and still delivers amazing detail in blacks and grays that most likely were lost on other TVs. One thing stood out to me, the bezel and the letterboxes are the same color black. I never got the feeling I was watching a movie with letterboxes at all. Neat.

Glare: Glare is hard to rate since everyone has different setups. I have a slider behind me while watching TV and during the day it's not bad with a little down tilt thanks to my wall mount. I don't do much daytime viewing so it's not become a problem.

Stand: The TV stand is sturdy but quite deep. It takes up my entire entertainment center top (~15"). There are zero adjustments to make like tilt or swivel so I could see that base creating issues if you intend on it being anything other than straight on viewing without deeper furniture.

Bezel: The ST30 was really ugly. It played a part in why I didn't buy it. This years is quite an improvement and I find it stylish and slim.

Sound: Not many people rate the stock sound because if they buy a TV this nice they use something higher end for that. But I haven't done that yet so I'm making due. I'm happy to report that the sound is head and shoulders above the other TVs out there. So good marks there if that's something you're going to use.

Remote/Menu/Web/Phone app: The remote is okay. The buttons feel clunky and older, but they get the job done. There is a backlight but it leaves out some of the more important buttons like pause and play. Grr. The menu for choosing the different apps is decent. I think they tried to make it seem very interactive and 3D but it came across corny. There is a very annoying button-press beep on by default which can be turned off in the options. The phone app running off my Galaxy S2 was laggy. I would never actually use so I throw it in the gimmick folder.

Packaging: Comes packaged quite well. Decent instructions on installing the base front and center but a lackluster manual.

Final: I'm thrilled with this TV. I tried to think of any flaw I could and as you can see there aren't many serious offenses to report. If you're on the fence about what to buy I hope this helps lean you this way because you really can't go wrong here. I spent the last 3 months very frustrated with the TVs I bought/returned. I finally get the throw away the box. That's quite an endorsement. Just remember to disable the smoothing. It's set to "weak" by default but you'll still get the jitters and that "live TV" look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Viera P60ST50, May 2, 2012
I'll keep this review short and sweet, unlike some of my other reviews. I have only had this TV for a few weeks now and I must say the picture quality (PQ) blows away every other display I have ever seen. I have read other reviews mentioning the old Pioneer Plasmas and some brought up the Samsung line but I never really got caught up in the plasma world when those manufacturers reigned supreme. As far as modern-day HD is concerned, I believe the best technology is plasma and Panasonic has the best models available-period. I'm not saying plasma displays are without quirks and issues. There is always a concern about image retention (IR) and screen burn-in if you are not careful. And I recommend following the advice of experts when it comes to breaking in a new plasma display. Yes, that means setting up your brand-spanking new TV and watching a seemingly never ending slide show of colors for 100 hours. Yes, that's 4 days of semi-torture that you must endure if you want the best PQ and the most consistently beautiful display for years to come. Plus, during the prep you can observe the display for defects.

Check out Hi-Def Junkies, D-Nice is a great, albeit persnickety video calibration expert over there: [...]
As for the ST50s menus and such, you might find navigating through everything a bit daunting at first. The quick start guide was infinitely more help than the "manual" supplied. The on screen help is readily available from a single button on the remote. The network setup is very straightforward and the Viera connect works well with windows computers for media sharing. It will connect to your wireless network on the 5MHz (N) band, so this will ease your traffic on the crowded 2.4 GHz band. At least you won't have to share bandwidth with the microwave ovens and alarm clocks in your house.

I didn't say much about the PQ, but suffice it to say you need to see a Panny Plasma for yourself before you go and spend your money on an LCD or LED or OLED unit. The extremely wide viewing angle of Plasmas cannot be beat. The 3D on this TV is simply mind-boggling. One thing you must consider is your room lighting. Plasmas work best in darkened rooms. Invest in shades or curtains if you have to-don't let that be a show stopper (literally). I forgot to mention, after the 100 hour prep for the panel you either should get it professionally calibrated or get the Disney WOW disc and do it yourself. You will not be disappointed.

In conclusion, I must say I realize Plasma displays are not for everyone. They require some setup and prep time and if you have screaming kids ready to watch a Tele-Tubbies marathon, how can you let it run a slide show for 4 solid days non-stop? And if you are a retro junkie and you break out the old pong game during a party with your former college roommates you risk burning an image into your display that will last far longer than your hangover. So yes, there are a few concerns you must consider. If you can get past the initial prep time you will be rewarded with a fantastic picture that will satisfy for years to come (panel loses 1/2 brightness after 100,000 hours according to Panny). So far I am extremely happy with this unit. I hope my rambling review (RR) will help you make an informed decision on whether or not a plasma tv is right for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture, July 3, 2012
I have the 60st50. The picture is stunning. Blacks look really good. I own an older 50gt15. Which was their 50" GT model from 2009. I thought it looked excellent. The newer models look much better. The picture is jaw droppingly good in a normal household setting. Not a brightly lit Best Buy. Much better than any LED/LCD.

I have an 11.2 sound system, so I don't use the built in speakers and don't care how they sound.

I don't used the internet apps since a laptop is much better at doing anything on the internet than any TV. They're fun to play with, but day in day out, you're much better off using a computer. Who wants to look at youtube on a tv of this caliber. It's like buying a lamborgini and complaining about how it handles in city driving. I use the TV for true high def content and only that (blu-ray and FIOS). Not crappy looking netflix streaming that people think is HD, but isn't.

I think 3D looks great. I have 2 pairs of the better panasonic glasses that cost around $55 each (For the wife and I) and 3 pairs of the samsung glasses that cost under $20 each (for the kids). All glasses work great. My wife, who never cares about technology, asks me to get more 3D movie rentals.

My TV faces east, so in the morning there's some glare. It doesn't handle it great. No TV does. Every TV will have a bright spot where a bright windows reflects off it. Some more than others. If it bothers you, it will bother you no matter how good the TV is at attempting to shine through it. I have curtains that I can close that completely eliminates any glare.

Burn in hasn't been an issue. I purposely have not allowed my kids to hook up a gaming system. They can use our older HDTV's for games. They don't seem to care. Even on our older panasonic plasma, we had image retention from games being on all day, but never burn in. You could see the image with the tv off if you looked closely, but never noticed anything watching normal TV shows. The retention always went away after a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - TV problems in 6 months time, October 26, 2012
Maximus (Medina, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by saying I have a 4 year old 50 inch Panasonic Plasma that I really like and have had no problems with. But this 60 inch ST50 that I ordered in May 2012, has recently turned into a big disappointment. I really liked it the first 6 months we had it. The picture is outstanding. However late September the TV started turning itself off and the blinking red lights on the power indicator started. Usually, I could just unplug it, wait a few mintutes and plug it back in and it would come back on. Well about 3 weeks ago, it did this, and now nothing. Won't come back on, no flashing lights, just completly dead. I called customer service and they put me in contact with a local repair shop that does warranty repair for Panasonic. From my description of what happened, they said the power board must be bad, and they were going to order a new part. She called back a day later, and said that the part is backordered from Panasonic. A few days ago, I called back, and the part is still listed as unavailable, and Panasonic does not know when the part will be available. This has been 3 weeks that this TV has been down. That is unacceptable to me. If it was my only TV, I would really be screwed. It sounds like this might be a problem that is not uncommon. If they have been having this problem, they should have been making plenty of these parts. I am just very disappointed in Panasonic. I had been a huge fan of theirs and had been recommending this TV to friends and family. But now I don't know. I will update this as the situation unfolds.

Update: November 2, 2012 - Well the repair technician was out yesterday with a new "A Board". And low and behold, it was not the A Board that was the problem. He now says it is the "P" board which he now has to order. If this one is backordered it may be another 2+ weeks. Happiness meter is going down further.

Update: November 20, 2012 - The "P" board was installed about a week ago. The TV is now working again. I really do enjoy watching this TV, overall I believe this is a great TV at a really good price. I upgraded the review to 4 stars. I can not give it 5 stars, because obviously there are some "board" issues going on with some of the TV's. It probably it not going to be a problem with most people's TV, but there are a few of us out there that got faulty boards that caused the thing to go dead. Panasonic did make it right, and although it took awhile because of parts being backordered, bottom line is the TV is fixed and working great now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding HDTV, July 16, 2012
I am a Samsung PN59D7000 owner who helped a family member on a recent purchase to upgrade their TV from a 42" Toshiba LCD. Like many shoppers, they wanted the best picture quality for the money. They asked for my help knowing that I spent some time researching before my Samsung purchase last year. They were considering a LED because they looked great in stores compared to plasmas but I quickly steered them away from that. With some thorough search, I helped them choose the P60ST50. I'm not a fan of purchasing electronics soon after their release as prices are expected to drop but the value of this TV beat the best of 2011 TV's including the Samsung I own for sale currently.

First, I am very pleased with my Samsung. It's got its little quibbles like brightness pops and faint buzzing that most plasmas will exhibit but the picture is great and the price was right. It's strong suits are the incredibly accurate color presentation, deep black levels and strong video processing. The 3D display, though I don't use it much, is very good with minimal ghosting and cross-talk. Equipped with an excellent suite of online apps, sans Amazon Instant. Designed beautifully that really stands out as the centerpiece of our entertainment center.

That said, it's a wonder how much one year makes. Panasonic's mid-tier ST50 beats my TV, second highest tier of Samsung's plasma lineup last year. I've been looking at their new Panasonic off and on for the last month and I noted a few differences between the P60ST50 and the PN59D7000.

I won't write a fully detailed review that I usually do because I don't own this TV but I can tell that the ST50 is superior:
It has slightly better blacks. It's subtle but still discernable with the naked eye. I can't believe you can now find an affordable TV of this size with this level of black.

Color is excellent. Read that it isn't as accurate as my Samsung but it's very hard to tell with the naked eye after dialing in the pictures. Colors do "pop" like my display.

Shadow detail is slightly better on this TV. This one was very hard to tell also but I think there is a slightly more dark scene detail than mine. Perhaps that's due to the slightly better blacks.

Bright picture for a plasma. It can be tuned to a bright picture, almost on LCD level. This is important to the purchasers as they have this in their living room. If you plan on getting a plasma for a room with some natural light, consider this TV. We also looked at the Samsung E6500 but it didn't seem very bright. My TV is bright. I don't know if the new Samsungs are tuned down on purpose or not.

Great set of features like wifi, the important suite of online stuff including Amazon Instant which my TV does not have.
3D display is very good. Again, read that the Samsung does a better job but I couldn't tell using my Shrek 3D Bluray. Perhaps there was more noise in the Panny's display but couln't pick it up with my eyes and I've seen some LCDs with terrible 3D display. The ST50 also came with 3D glasses unlike my TV.

No brightness pops. I'm hoping Samsung comes out with a firmware fix soon for my TV. Been waiting awhile. It doesn't bother me so much but it's one of things that seem very fixable. The ST50 didn't show any of the brightness pop effect.

Buzzing was faint. Like most plasmas, there is a slight buzz especially in bright scenes. The phosphors are firing hard and makes a slight buzz. Many people complain about this but it is so slight and it is inherent in the plasma technology that I can dismiss it. The ST50's buzz is a bit more muted than my Samsung. Of course if the set is constantly buzzing or if buzzes loud enough to overtake the speakers then there is a problem.

Ambient light handling is great. It has these new louvered filters to help with reflections. Again, with this TV in the living room with some natural lighting, it is an important feature. Does a great job at it like my TV does. I cannot tell which does a better job but read that the ST50 does. From what I can tell it's pretty close.

This is an excellent TV. It costs less than what I paid last year for my TV at year end discount and still gives a overall better picture. We looked at the PN60E6500, which we almost bought bc it is $200 cheaper and has a great picture but still preferred the brightness of the ST50. We debated on if the brightness was worth $200... until the sales guy brought the price down $150 on the ST50. This TV gives you the quality and features that you would have had paid a lot more for a year ago.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easily burns in., June 30, 2012

Pros:

2. When playing games (Consoles and PC) that are 60 FPS, the ST50 handles the motion like a champ with no blur in my eyes.
3. It upscales 720p very well. I couldn't tell the difference between the Xbox 360 1080p upscaling and the TV's upscaling to 1080p.
4. Input lag isn't noticeable even outside of game mode.

Cons:

1. Dithering (a crawling kind of pattern) can be noticeable from even 6-8 feet away depending on what's on the screen.
2. There's a slight band on the far left of the screen (your right). But this isn't noticeable during normal viewing.
3. Motion is very jarring when playing games that are 30 FPS and there is panning/rotation around the scene. The TV seems to alternate between game frames presenting a "double image." I understand(I've read...) this is what plasmas typically do with 30 FPS. But it really is annoying especially in RPGs when you rotate the camera. Turning on motion smoothing can slightly help, but that introduces artifacts and weird looking motion.

Semi-cons:

1. Buzzes when pushing brighter pixels. But I have not once noticed it when playing games or watching movies. So this really isn't a big deal.
2. I had a tiny case of image retention after playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for about 2 hours. Pieces of the life bar stayed on the screen. I couldn't see it from about 6 feet away, but I was able to slightly make out the pattern when I got really close to the TV. After watching a movie for an hour, it went away completely.

Overall I'm happy with it as the picture quality is amazing. It certainly isn't a perfect TV as no TV is.

EDIT: So I was messing with the contrast on a gray picture and I'm seeing logos from programming from over a year ago. And no these logos were not on the screen for more than an hour at a time with plenty of content in between. Very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Working .... Beware of Panasonic 'Concierge' Warranty, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
This TV is stopped working after barely 5 months of light use. Panasonic does NOT honor its warranty as stated in its pamphlet and will not provide a loaner 'unless one is available' (This means no!). Also, the company they contract out to service the television is not professional at all. I am terribly disappointed.

I agree with everything that has been written about this TV so will simply summarize my perspective here:
1. Excellent TV - remote, internet connection all are first class.
2. Picture quality with CNET setting rivals my 106 inch home theater set up .... when viewed in total dark surrounding.
3. However ... if you are planning to watch a dark program in a bright room ... this is NOT the TV for it.
Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture; Lousy Reliability and Service, April 28, 2013
This set worked great for four months. Then it stopped working 3 or 4 weeks ago with a "seven blink" code. It still does not work. First the repairman came and took the set down (with our help - they only send one guy and the TV "must be off the wall") and looked at the insides, then he put it up. Said the part would be in a few days later but it took over a week and a half. Then he came and the part did not fix the problem, so we put the set back up. We'll see when it starts working and I'll try to remember to update.

I started out with a 3 star review because the TV broke 4 months into our ownership of it. Since the repairman has now had to come back 4 times in order to fix it (so far), I am lowering the review to 1 star. There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship backed by a poor system for repairs, faulty parts ordering system, and other problems which have now caused us to be without our television for over one month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV (value) for 1st half of 2012 - Maybe for the whole year!, June 2, 2012
Real Buyer (Northern California) - See all my reviews
I purchased the 60 inch version on 5/25 and got it on 5/27 via the free (prime member so shipping is free, not sure for non-prime members) scheduled white glove shipping. The freight company CEVA came in as scheduled and set up the TV within 20 mins.

I got the (new) 60inch for $1,5999 on 5/25/12 which is probably a mistake since the 55 was $1,549 at the same time but my purchase still went through. A few days later Amazon upped the price to $1,777.

Ok so I decided to purchase this set after reading and watching the ST50's reviews on Cnet and AVSForums. Honestly, after a while one can really over think/over research a purchase so at some point your just gonna want to be done and buy one.

The picture quality on the TV is Amazing. Yes it is a little (really just a little) on the darker side (I'm using CNET settings) but I think people are confusing shadow detail and depth to being dark. Of course if you bring up the brightness to 100 it will get brighter but you loose a great amount of detail. Please please please don't use that "Vivid" setting. If you must watch it in a bright room, Game mode might be your best option.

The 3D option is a little off for me but then again I didn't buy the TV for it's 3D. Everyone that owns this TV should try the 3D (find the right glasses) at some point to see if they like it. My thing about it is that 3D even the ones in the theater give's me a headache due to my astigmatism.

I highly recommend the ST50 for the value and for the picture quality.