5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Camera, in and out of Water
I have had this camera for about five months and I absolutely love it. I wanted a waterproof camera so I wouldn't have to worry about ruining it in rain, snow, dirt, or anything else I throw at it.

Here are some my favorite things about this camera:
-It has a really fast shutter speed so it captures subjects in motion without blur.
-It has a burst...
Published 23 months ago by Rebecca

2.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but has issues.
I have to admit, that I wanted to like this camera. It was to replace my old and now, not working, Olympus SW720- a precursor to the "tough" cameras. That camera went through a lot and kept working, till the screen went white for no apparent reason, but I digress...

Published 23 months ago by Anthony Burokas

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Camera, in and out of Water, May 13, 2012

Here are some my favorite things about this camera:
-It has a burst function that takes lots of pictures in a row, and so far they have come out incredible. I recently went cliff jumping and got some really good progressive shots of people falling in the air.
-The camera has really good speakers when playing back video.
-Picture quality is fantastic for a point and shoot, both inside and out. Some pictures taken in darker rooms turn out grainy, but that has happened with all my other cameras in the past.
-The wrist strap is adjustable so it can be securely fit to your wrist while in the water.
-The interface is really quick and easy to use.
-The camera turns on incredibly fast so it's good for spur of the moment photo-ops.
-You don't have to change settings between photo and video, you just push a different button for video to start recording. This is really nice because on my previous camera I often forgot to switch it back to photo mode and would take videos instead of pictres.

All in all I love this camera. I don't have any complaints about it yet and I would definitely recommend it! I would also recommend buying a spare battery. The charge holds pretty well but if you are using it a lot in a day it's better to be safe and have a spare just in case. Wouldn't want to miss any great opportunities for a picture!

TO ADD ON:
I recently had my camera at the beach and someone dropped it in the sand. All the cracks had sand in them, so I was a little worried. I just filled my sink with water and sat the camera in in for about 10 minutes, and all the sand just fell off. It's like nothing even happened! I was so happy since my previous camera was ruined by sand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, August 5, 2012
Reviewer (San Diego, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix TS20 16.1 MP TOUGH Waterproof Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom (Orange) (Electronics)
I got this camera a few months ago after researching waterproof digital cameras and reviews extensively. The price has come down a bit from what I paid, but it was worth every penny. My camera has been in the water in San Diego, Cabo San Lucas, and Maui. It has survived in my boardshorts pocket while:
Surfing - heard it knock against my board multiple times
body surfing
swimming in river
jumping off 20 ft waterfall
Have taken video underwater with good quality. This camera is great. Hopefully it will last longer than my previous waterproof cam that was by a different manufacturer, but I didn't properly care for that one. I've been more committed to using the suggested maintenance procedures when using this one, like soaking it in a bowl of water after having it in salt water and keeping the seal clean with the brush they provide. The pictures are sharp and defined - high quality.
In 7 days in Cabo I didn't have to recharge the battery once. I expect this camera to last for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but has issues., May 29, 2012
Anthony Burokas (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews

This camera is thin & light. It has a 4x zoom (longer than my old cam). It shoots HD video (not SD like my old cam). It doesn't have a lens cover to jam up on sand, like my old cam. More resolution. Panny's "intelligent resolution" to ensure sharper looking images and "intelligent exposure" to brighten some darker areas. I looked forward to using it.

But the image quality was not up to what I expected. Even bright daylight photos, with a forced flash to fill dark detail, when you look at the photos at 100%- the images just get muddy and undefined, they lack the detail I'd expect. In darker situations, image quality deteriorates pretty quickly. I tried forcing the ISO to 100. I tried letting the camera pick everything. I tried dropping the frame size in case it was "interpolating" to a higher resolution. Nothing helped. At best, some images are "nice" but none are great. Some suck. Several wee missed because the camera wasn't focused. I mean- on the beach, there's my boy, and the whole shot is out of focus. What did it focus on? I have no idea.

The video is rough and heavily compressed. Audio is "eh." Audio in my old camera was bad too. I guess that's the nature of being an underwater camera. But why is the microphone on TOP of the camera when the lens is capturing something in FRONT of the camera.

Battery lasted one day of occasional shooting, with more photos on the beach, but maybe 50 - 70 shots (I shoot a lot in a row when the kids are doing something interesting) total before I had to recharge the wafer-thin little battery. I admit the camera is thin, easily pocketable. Convenient. But that extra thinness also made it a bit harder to grip while my hands were wet. I'd prefer something chunkier. Then it could have a bigger battery.

I tried to shoot a couple panoramas with the camera. It stitches and crops the image in the camera and, no matter what I did, the panos are very small. Maybe that's just how they are- lower resolution than actual stills. A lot lower resolution. Plus, exposure changes throughout the shot made it look weird. But I was impressed at how well it handled houses that would be "bent" because of the wide angle curve of the lens. Sony's in-camera pano mode has fared worse in this regard, but Sony delivers higher resolution stills and the exposure is locked through the pano. Also, Sony reliably gave me a pano each time (even if the pano sucked). The Panny would error out about half the time because I was going too slow, too fast, whatever. I don't know. As I didn't buy this underwater camera for panos, I don't hold that against the score of the camera.

Lastly, there's two places you really expect to use an underwater camera- the pool & the beach. It was fine in the pool and the wrist lanyard was very good. But at the beach, when you get some sand on your hands because, well, it's THE BEACH... the sand gets under the shutter trigger and, again, I was missing photo opportunities because I couldn't press the damm shutter button. The video button still worked, but why would they not expect that SAND might be present at the most common areas on the planet where there's water- the beach.

Some vigorous sloshing in the sea while pressing the shutter button worked the sand free and I was able to take more pictures.

Pros:
- small, lightweight, thin
- waterproof, submersible
- shoots HD video, big stills
- can force the flash, can compensate the exposure, set spot focus/exposure, manually set ISO
- has some scene modes that help a little with dark shots

CONS:
- high resolution is lost when you actually look at the stills
- video is grainy
- a little too thin for my hands
- debris can get under the shutter button preventing you from taking a picture
- sometimes focuses on... nothing

I really wasn't expecting DSLR-like quality, but I wanted better, and I wanted reliability, not missed shots. So I returned it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice travel camera!, April 21, 2012
I bought the Panasonic TS20 digital camera for my trip and was very pleased! The camera is made of mostly metal and feels very solid and durable. It is very compact and fits in my pocket without a problem, a big plus+ for traveling and wanting to avoid carrying a big camera. Also, having this camera made me feel more comfortable about not scratching or damaging it because it is made to be handled without the 'white glove' treatment. I'll get to the main point of having this camera; it does take really nice pictures -- outdoors / indoor and with good light. Night time pictures can be a bit tricky and you will have to play with the scene settings. Just like MOST small compact cameras, their strong points are NOT taking pictures in low-light situations. Don't forget, this camera is waterproof and can take picture / video under water. I haven't tried this feature, yet. Will this camera replace a DSLR or micro 4/3 camera? Not quite. It will be a great in taking quick snapshots when you want to go out and not worry about carrying an expensive camera/equipment. For example, going out for dinner with your wife/husband and/or friends.... IMHO you really don't want to be carrying any big camera ( I have a micro 4/3 camera and I think it is sometimes a bit big to carry in certain situations). Did I mention that it fits easily in your pocket? If you are looking for professional photos, this will not meet your needs. If you are looking for a rugged, all-around fun, waterproof and durable camera that takes great pictures, the Panasonic TS20 will fit your needs... especially at a reasonable price. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lumix Camera Review, April 22, 2012
Purchased this camera after a lot of research on durable small camera's for my husband. I was looking for a camera that took quality digital pictures of things standing still, moving objects/animals, and a camera that took quick pictures to get those moving objects. I purchased the 32GB SDHC digital card for use, which was a little overkill, but it can hold over 4,000 pic's using the 16MB quality.

Decision Points
- Quality Pic's - from color to contrast is awesome.
- Shutter Speed allowed me to get great pic's of objects moving clearly...to include a Tomahawk being thrown.
- Easy to use, hooked right up to my MAC
- Zoom for what I want to use it for is good, I will give up distance for the quality of pic's. (I would NOT recommend this camera if you are taking pic's of your child's soccer game and they are across the field, quality will be good but it won't be a closeup picture.)
- Battery Power - I did not put the battery on a time; however, after a few days of taking pic's on and off through out the day I had to recharge the battery. I plan on purchasing an additional battery.
- I have NOT tested the waterproofing, I am sure my husband will drop it in the water soon enough to give a review on the waterproofing. (Rated at 16Ft for 60min)
- The camera is also rated at 5Ft for Anti-Shock Performance (again another good thing with my husband)
- The camera is also rated at a temperature between 14deg F to 104deg F. This camera will be used anywhere from Alaska to Afghanistan so temperature variations was also a factor in our purchase of the Lumix.
- It is a small camera that can easily fit in a hunting pocket out in the woods or in a combat vest pouch when deployed.

Overall we are very happy with our decision to purchase the Lumix, it does everything we need it to do for our active lifestyle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died a watery death after 33 days, June 30, 2012
Worked fine for a few weeks, the camera was used mostly in my Intex pool, never in salt water. Pictures taken in bright light were good, but in low light quality dropped off quickly.

Unfortunately the camera just died yesterday, 33 days after I bought it and probably about 5-6 times after being dunked in a small above ground pool. The battery door was sealed shut, camera was never dropped yet it was clearly leaking as I could see moisture on the LCD. Overnight in a rice jar didn't help, the camera turns on intermittently and takes fuzzy pictures.

Very disappointed. Trying to initiate a repair with Panasonic now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Underwater camera!!, June 30, 2012
I bought this camera for my trip to the Bahamas, and I could not be happier with it. I wanted a camera that I could bring with me into the ocean and on the water riders to capture the memories. The camera lived up to its expectations. My underwater pictures and videos came out great. It was very durable and held up and I went on water slides and rapid rivers. The battery lasts long as well. I used the camera for 5 days straight and still have a charge. I would definitely recommend this camera for someone looking to bring the camera to a beach or water park!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine lasted 42 days - Panasonic Customer Service was Terrible!, August 20, 2012
Pro: Great camera while it lasted, took great looking video, underwater stills, etc.

Con: It died after 42 days - I jumped out of a sailboat with the camera in my hand, and when I got back in, there was water in the LCD. I followed the directions for keeping the seals clean and making sure it locked, etc - maybe treading water forced some salt water in through the seals?

Sadly I'll never know, because when I called Panasonic to deal with this problem, they told me that they couldn't do anything unless I paid $40 to have it evaluated at their service center. They also told me that if it required repair, it might be $140 or $180 - the CS rep didn't seem to understand the silliness of that price for a camera that cost $139 brand new.

I'm sad writing this review, because I've had great luck with Lumix cameras over the years, but this was really frustrating!

4.0 out of 5 stars product description, August 16, 2012
I could not find the list of contents in the product description. I ordered a panasonic battery charger in addition to the camera. Upon delivery, I found the camera comes with its own battery charger. Contents include; camera, strap, battery, charger, CD and instruction booklet.

Hope this saves someone else from the same mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, June 14, 2012
Andrew K. (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This is my first try at getting a digital waterproof camera and I need not look any further. The camera has been great! It has survived waterfall hikes, ocean waves, throwing back and forth between friends in a pool, and even diving down to about 15 feet during a snorkeling trip. Salt water was not an issue at all, just rinse and let dry. The pictures have turned out great (as long as your expectations are in the right place). What I mean is that if you want professional landscape photography, get a different camera, but if you want a durable camera for vacations to capture the essence of the memories that you are making, then I think this camera is what you are looking for.

ARRAY(0x97714ce4)