Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:48 Mins
Published 16 months ago by Desert Gypsy

3.0 out of 5 stars Read all the information and realize what you are getting...
Published 21 months ago by jdb

5.0 out of 5 stars Panda does it again! Even better than my first love, the Panda mini....edited to add RINSE TIP!, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Panda Small Compact Portable Washing Machine(6-7lbs Capacity) with Spin Dryer
Length:: 6:48 Mins

Although my old mini Panda (blue machine) is still going strong, my niece just had a baby this past year and I am sending the Panda mini off to her to help make surviving toddlerhood a little easier for her and her little man. I have upgraded to this new Panda small compact portable washing machine that includes the spin dryer too - all in one small unit! Since I am still living in an apartment with no washer and dryer or hook ups, this machine is even easier and better than the Panda mini/blue washer in every way for my laundry needs. With a stated 6-7 pound capacity, it has the ability to do larger loads, and with the electrically assisted pump I find that rinsing and draining are much easier! What more could I have wanted but an attached spin dryer which is now on board too; it does a fantastic job of wringing the clothes almost bone dry. Having loved the Panda mini washer for nearly two years, I am even more impressed and happy with my new Panda Small Compact Portable washing machine! Here are a few more notes and hints I have come up with for getting the best results with the Panda small compact washer:

Use a mesh bag with any articles of clothing that have long sleeves, or long legs, especially items that get very heavy when wet like jeans or sweaters. The agitator in the washer side is very powerful and therefore free floating long articles of clothing can get tangled or twisted together during the wash cycle. I have found that the clothing still gets perfectly clean when mesh bags are used, but with no tangling or damage to the fabrics.

When using the washer for the first time try adding the load of laundry with NO SOAP, just water and set the timer for 3-5 minutes. Frequently there is a great amount of soap residue and buildup trapped in the clothing fibers and you will see this as foam or even suds appearing when the clothing is just agitated with clean water. As you wash those same clothes in the Panda a second or third time you will need anywhere from teaspoon to about a tablespoon of high efficiency liquid soap per load depending on the type of fabric, type of detergent, size of load, and how soiled it is.

When not in use, leave both doors to the washer and spin dryer open. This will help any water droplets left behind to evaporate, avoiding any issues with moisture, mold or mildew.

I am attaching a detailed video comparing the two machines so if it has not appeared yet, please check back in a day or two. If you have a question that has not been covered here please use the comments section to ask; I will do my best to answer.

06/27/13 Edited to add: Regarding rinsing: The instructions do NOT state the following tip, but after using the machine for over two months I have tried this rinsing trick with great success. Because my method is NOT part of the original use instructions, I can only recommend you try this next tip "at your own risk". By following these steps, you can quickly and efficiently rinse the just cleaned load to be completely soap free AND you can save the soapy water for re-use with next load (assuming the water is not extremely dirty from the previous load).
Step 1: do NOT drain soapy side. Just transfer the wet soapy clothes to the spinner basket.
Step 2: with *both* spinner doors OPEN, add 5 minutes time on the spin timer. This will cause the spin side to continuously drain any water you will be adding while you rinse. For this step, to add water you can use a diverter/sprayer, the original hose, or small bucket with a pouring spout.
Step 3: When feel you have finished adding enough water to rinse the clothes, use the plastic screen gadget that is included with the spinner to press the clothes down, compacting as them as firmly as possible.
Step 4: Close the lid and allow the machine to spin the clothes as dry as possible.

Compacting the clothes shortens the spin time by effectively wringing at least part of the excess water out and also prevents a waterlogged, unbalanced load from making the whole machine "shimmy". This is also why it is a GOOD thing that the spin side is SO small - for optimal performance in spinning the clothes.

Step 5: If you still see any soap residue in the water being drained, re-set the timer for another 2-3 minutes and use either the hose provided or even a small measuring cup to slowly pour a small amount of additional water into the spin side inlet hole; the added water will be very rapidly dispersed into the garments and provide an even cleaner rinse. Repeat any of the steps as necessary but just make sure there is at least 1-2 full minutes of uninterrupted spin time left where no additional water is added in order to have the most water wrung from the clothes and have the shortest possible drying time. Good luck! - DG

08/18/13 Edited to add - Immediately after posting the original review I had submitted a revision with a disclaimer stating the source of the item(s) under review. I was not aware until today that the revision was not accepted or posted by Amazon, possibly due to the fact that the video portion of the review depicts TWO products with two different sources. To be 100% clear and transparent, I have created and posted over 800 reviews, and as of this edit, all except three items were purchased by me with my own funds; the reviews are either marked by Amazon as such, with a badge stating "Amazon Verified Purchase" or I often state where I purchased the item in the written review, ex. big box store, Walmart, etc. Since I am entirely new to having a product submitted to me for review, this video is unique as it features a product of both circumstances. The video demonstrates my experience two units; the one referred to as the "blue machine" I paid for with my own funds through Amazon.com in Nov. 2011. I received the "white machine" (the greater subject of this review) directly from Sepgo, Inc. at no cost to me for the purpose of testing and review in May 2013. Regardless of source , the opinions expressed are 100% my own with NO influence from any other person or company. Thank you to a youtube user whose question alerted me to the fact that my disclaimer stating such had not been added as requested; my integrity as a reviewer is very important to me and I am glad to have the opportunity to clarify the matter. Sincerely, -DG

4.0 out of 5 stars Spin dryer seems even smaller than advertised. Lol., January 27, 2013
I only give a 4 star rating because the spin dryer is incredibly small, but the washer appears larger than advertised. However this leads to spending quite a long time spin drying your wash-load piece by piece. Thus, I'm considering purchasing the Laundry Alternative spin-dryer which seems like it can hold a larger load to spin dry.

I've only used both aspects of the unit once, but the washer seems incredibly powerful and washes clothing really well. I like that it lacks a center pin to tear your clothing or get trapped/ wrapped around. This unit seems much better than their previous model with clear, blue, plastic siding. The previous model looks incredibly flimsy, this newer unit looks and feels very sturdy. I worry about the hosing on the new model, which might need to eventually be replaced. The hosing seems so soft and flimsy.

Warning: The unit gives off a powerful, acrid, plastic, chemical smell. It is incredibly pungent. Hopefully whatever it is will off-gas soon. My apartment smells pretty bad.

UPDATED REVIEW:
March 10, 2013
I have used the machine consistently for the past few months. No complaints, besides the speed of the spin dryer seems to have decreased. I'll probably have to purchase The Laundry Alternative spin dryer which is 2-3x as fast and will leave my clothes pretty dry. I don't use a tumble dryer, just a bamboo folding clothes rack. My clothes dry really well overnight.

Things I have been able to wash:
Separately: Mattress cover (Queen Sized Mattress), Fitted Sheet (Queen Sized Mattress), Non-fitted Sheet (Queen Sized Mattress).
I have also washed 2-3 sweaters at a time (considered a full load). This depends on their thickness and how much water they absorb. As for jeans/ pants, I've been able to wash 2-3 in a load. It all depends on how thick the fabric is and how much water it'll absorb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Average Joe Review, April 27, 2013
I was going to wait a couple of weeks to write this review... but I feel compelled.

Let me start out with I'm just an average Joe, on my wife's amazon account that we bought the wash machine on.

We've only had the Panda for 2 days, but we have used it about a month's worth thus far... so I feel I am experienced enough to write this.

This machine is GREAT! If you're like me, you hop to the reviews and usually get the same responses reworded over and over again and you get a general feeling for the product. My reviews tend to be more or less rebuttals or further insight to what others have said.

First off, let me start by saying this is my first time living in an apartment (3 years now) and ever having to deal with a laundromat... I HATE that. The Panda fixes it! I no longer have to time machines or strategically plan when I wash my clothes. The freedom of this alone is well worth the cost.

As for performance... you can read other reviews to get the ins and outs... I'll just say it does what a reasonable person thinks it will do. It cleans clothes and relativity dries them. This is not a high end washer and drier combo. It won't remove that red wine you spilled on your lap while eating caviar... but it'll get your clothes clean. I'm not sure why so many people expected the dryer to get the clothes 100% dry all while not having a heating element... it's common sense people. It dries them to barely damp, and a quick hang dry does the rest. If you are looking for more than any of this I have a simple solution... get a better job, get paid more, buy a house and get a great washer and drier... but for us average Joe's... this thing works great.

I've also read that the dang thing leaks. Yup... There was a little water on the ground after my numerous loads tonight. Not sure if it was user error or machine defect. I put the unit in the bathroom and wiped up the water with a towel after... it wasn't that much water. Now I know what you're thinking "but I don't want water on my bathroom floor." Do me a favor and remember your last time in the laundromat... (still remembering?) yeah... that's what i thought... who gives a crap about a little water on the ground? At least I'm not at the laundromat.

Overall... this thing works great for what it is. Do not expect a high end perfect washer and drier b/c honestly... if that's what you are expecting then maybe you need a dose of reality. But for us average Joe's just trying to get by in this world... this little machine makes life a whole hell of a lot easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know how I lived without it!!, January 16, 2014
Satske (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Seriously this has been the best purchase for us!! There are two adults, one toddler, two cats, and one dog living in our three bedroom apartment sans washer/dryer or laundromat in the vicinity. We were looking around for a small washer and found this on amazon with rave reviews. So we ordered it 1/10 and arrived 1/15. It smelled a little plastic like so I spun it with fresh clean water then started doing laundry. IT WORKS GREAT!!! We did notice the water intake hose was a little flimsy but nothing a little ingenuity couldn't figure out. We attached a rubber band and a black hair tie (girls you know the one) to the faucet to keep it tight and hold it up.-----SEE END OF MY POST REGARDING THE HOSE----- I've been doing laundry since 3pm 1/15. It's now 4pm 1/16. And it's still going strong!!

PROS:
Small and convenient
Very light
Spinner gets clothes relatively dry
Timer
GETS CLOTHES CLEAN
Very powerful agitator
Only need to use about 1 tbls to 2tbls of detergent. SAVE ON DETERGENT!!!
Spinner will automatically shut off if someone opens the door, (SAFE FOR LITTLE FINGERS)
The amount that fits in the spin dryer is what you're supposed to put in the washer. If the washer is too full anyway it won't agitate.

CONS:
Not really a con but it is small, but not too small. Just can't do big blankets but HEY it's a washer right??
Water pump isn't too powerful, you will have to elevate it to make sure to get all the water out of the hose
Hoses are flimsy but nothing a little ingenuity can't overcome-----SEE THE BOTTOM OF MY POST!!!
Yes, the longer clothing/linen items may come out a little tangled but just watch it if it becomes too tangled.
The lint dryer doesn't really work--SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY PURCHASING A LINT BRUSH

I understand that this product came out only a year ago so I'm sure they're still working out the bugs over there at the Panda factory (always wanted to say that) and will come out with an even better and more amazing one. The lint trap for instance, doesn't really work. I found that washing clothes by themselves that are lint magnets will help with the lint. Washing clothes that produce lint on their own helps even more.

This washer is great, I can't give it enough stars. We did purchase the warranty for it just in case but It's done well over 100 loads now and we haven't had any problems. I don't know how I've ever lived without it. This IS NOT a fully automatic washer. YOU WILL NEED TO DO WORK. However, if you've been handwashing your clothes(like me), don't have access to a laundromat, don't have a ton of money to spend, don't have a laundry hook-up, and want your clothes clean, GET THIS WASHER. We went though all the other brands searching through reviews and videos, this one by far is the best for the money.

We have it now semi permanently in the bathroom. I put the waste water hose in the toilet with the seat on it and the intake hose is connected to the faucet. This is truly an amazing machine. Don't waste time thinking about it, just purchase one and see for yourself!!!

UPDATE!!!! 2/11/14
It's not a month later and this washer is STILL GOING STRONG!!! I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY for about 5+ loads. That means this baby has to work sometimes up to 6 hours a day!!! Depending on how many times I wash. We use cold water, sometimes a little stain remover if need be. BUT IT GETS THE CLOTHES CLEAN EVERY TIME!!!! I cannot reiterate how much I love this washer. Hoses are still flimsy however I just purchased a shower diverter and a long shower hose to run across the bathroom to the tub. I know this will work fine. I will update again in a few months, we'll see how it's doing then.....

UPDATE 5/15/2014
I purchased and just set up this washer for my mother in law who has arthritis. She said it's brilliant! Mine is still working, no qualms with it, works just as well as the day that I got it. A few more tips: Keep the doors open to allow the machine to dry out when you're not using it. This prevents mold from developing. ALSO....

!!!!I HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY METAL RING THAT WAS INCLUDED IN THE ZIPPER BAG!!!
It's a clamp, silly me. You put it around the plastic tubing and clamp it to your sink. No need for hair ties, tape, etc. Works brilliantly, wish I figured this out sooner!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, April 25, 2013
Ok. I'm one of those picky people, I want a lot and I want it cheap. I bought my machine through a place in Canada because I couldn't get it shipped from the US to where I live. I live in Kodiak ALaska. Anyway I read the reviews and someone recommended Canada, it worked for me. If you are in the Lower 48 States order it from Amazon. The machine is compact, it takes up about as much space as a clothes hamper. You have to wash smaller loads, but the run time ranges 3 to 15 minutes, Pretreating stains and soiled clothes with a spray is recommended. I can wash about three of my shirts at a time 2XL, for my wife and younger kids about 6 at a time, it takes 3-4 minutes a load, I usually add the fabric softener at the same time as the soap. You only need a bit over a table spoon of detergent, much more and you'll find yourself rinsing two to three times, but the extractor helps.

My routine, add water, soap, and softner, wash 3-5 min, put in extractor, run and then run water into extractor pulling clothes out and puting them back in and run again. so twice through the extractor. If the kids clothes are dirty or mine, I run the wash longer, If I'm feeling energetic, I might do it twice. We hunt and fish and do outdoors stuff so we get dirty.

Don't buy this machine expecting to throw the clothes in and just wash them because it requires more than that. A little bit of elbow grease is needed to do the laundry, it doesnt fill up automatically and it doesn't drain automatically. You have to control the faucet to fill it, it does have a drain pump but you have to turn the knob on and then off when it's done.

It is a great machine and not to expensive it is fairly quite but it does make noise but it's not loud, my neighbors have yet to complain and sometimes I wash things in the middle of the night.

I recommend this to anyone living in an apartment or looking to save money on laundrymats. I can easily wash a queen sheet in it but I don't recommend it, I recommend taking sheets, blankets and heavy items to the laundry ie; towels are heavy. If you wash a towel, do two at a time and extract them one at a time, save yourself a little headache.

It works great for everything else, I were dicky Work pants they are heavy, I wash them a pair at a time, and extract them a pair at a time, time consuming, a little but worth it.

Like I said don't expect to throw your clothes in and go play tennis. It is a good machine it works well and it will save you money.

After using the (Extractor) dryer, We hang the clothes up and let them air dry, we hang them inside on a rack (we live in Alaska they freeze during the winter outside).

Like I said, the machine works great I recommend it. Our family size is (6) 2 adults, 2 teens and 2 elementary age. So if it can wash all of our stuff, it can wash yours.

We've had our machine for almost six months now and use it all the time. the younger kids even have fun doing laundry so teach them, you might even be able to get them to wash some of your stuff.

It costs me a $1.50 to wash and a $1.50 to dry a load in the complex, the cheapest washer in town is $3.00 to wash. So the machine has paid for itself and saved $$ for us already.

And as an added bonus the expression on your mailmans face will be priceless. Mine said it was the first time he ever delivered a washing machine, Tell me, you think he wasn't telling that story to his coworkers and anyone else who would listen.

Oh yeah, the machine is light also, weighs about 15 pounds maybe. My six year old easily moves it around when he wants to wash stuff or just move it out of his way.

Hope this helps in your decision. And yeah every now and then a flawed machine does get in the mix, but that happens with everything, I remember A Maytag that was a lemon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read all the information and realize what you are getting..., January 19, 2013
We received this item yesterday and washed a few loads of underwear and shirts. The tub is fairly small and the spinner is even smaller. It does a pretty good job on these items, but we did have to load the spin side several times to take care of what was in the washer. Going through this process over and over, then rinsing all of it was time consuming. Today I started washing my blue jeans. I wear 38x34 which aren't exactly the size of a two-person backpacking tent. The tub will hold two pair but the agitator didn't work, so I had to wash one pair at a time. Washing, rinsing, and rinsing again along with pumping water out and refilling between all the steps took nearly half an hour per pair. It works but is very time consuming when washing a heavy item. Now that we have all the laundry caught up it will be better if we wash a small load each day. If it piles up it will kill the better part of a day. It works, but don't expect a regular washing machine. This will keep you busy with a lot of small loads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent solution for anyone stuck in a "no hook up" type of apartment for a standard washer/dryer. And its actually portable., June 25, 2013
This little washer is quite impressive for the cost. Now let's be honest for a moment , if your the type of person that drops in a metric ton of clothes to wash each cycle ... you are going to have to change your ways. This little guy won't be able to process large amounts of laundry at one cycle. Its made for small loads but it does them very well , in fact compared to much more expensive solutions it does them better than I ever thought a 15 minute wash cycle could actually clean.

The only things required for this compact washer are : 1. A sink with a standard nozzle to attach the water feed hose to 2. A standard 120V outlet (it uses only a small amount of power compared to a full size washer) 3. A bit of patience.

I recommend you go head over to Youtube and watch the first video that pops up under search. The lady in that video does an excellent job on explaining on how to process a small load of laundry.

For the freedom that little washer provides it more than pays for itself. In fact if you pair it with a nice portable dryer , you get the total solution. Yes , it does require a bit more manual labor , you have to make sure you drain it completely after each cycle. I recommend lifting it up next to the sink you are using and snaking the drain hose at the bottom of the sink. This will aid the electric drain motor in quickly flushing out all the left over water and makes for a simple clean up.

To be honest I didn't think this little guy would work out that great but it truly is a simple solution that with a little extra work completely eliminates the need to hit up your local laundromat (this is a big plus if its an apartment laundromat) minus the large loads of sheets and such.

The only downside is that the spin cycle is a bit loud and if it becomes unbalanced it will cause the machine to start dancing. I've found that simply turning off the spin cycle and adjusting the clothing helps a lot but also consider moving the machine to a carpeted floor where it will have more padding and that should also help with the noise. Thankfully the machine spins so fast it doesn't need more than 5 minutes to whip out the access water from your clothes so the extra noise is only for a short period of time.

Panda also bent over backwards to help me when I entered the incorrect shipping address and was able to intercept it in time to make sure it went to the new address. Very impressed with that level of service. Also Amazon helped with that process as well but I expect that level of service , this is why I buy products on Amazon to begin with.

If you need a portable solution for washing your clothes , then this is it at this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets my needs, September 21, 2013
I am a college student living in a small apartment with my boyfriend. It was extremely troublesome to walk all the way over to the laundromat. A lot of the times, we would be so busy with school that we couldn't do laundry until it was well overdue. I decided to buy the Panda compact washer/dryer after reading a lot of reviews about it. Going to the laundromat every week for washing our clothes was expensive. Plus, we rarely carry cash, so getting quarters was always such a pain. The Panda washer/dryer arrived early in the morning, sooner than expected. It was also heavier than we anticipated it to be (in the box). Once we got it out of the box and took off all the other shipping stuff, we had to figure out where to put it. The washer/dryer is actually bigger than we thought it would be. So big, that it just simply could not fit into our bathroom properly (without causing issues with us walking around in there). We decided to put it in our kitchen, which might not sound appealing to some. Getting used to the Panda was very stressful at first. The only place we could fit it was the kitchen, so the tube that expels the water has to go up into the sink. This made draining difficult, and the tube slipped multiple times, spilling water everywhere. To fix that issue, though, I bought water resistant Command strips. In the end, I used all four of them from the pack. Two for underneath the tube, and two to strap it in place on top of it. It's very sturdy now and I can use the washer and dryer without worrying that the water will spill everywhere.

We've had the item for about a week now and I'm very impressed with it. We did end up buying a over-the-tub drying rack for our clothes. I can wash all our underwear/socks/bras within two days, only doing approx. 2-3 loads a day. I did follow the advice of another reviewer on here, who recommended leaving the Panda on Wash while drying clothes. This way, I can save the water for extra loads. It doesn't take much detergent to get the stuff smelling great and clean. The spinner and washer sections were actually BIGGER than I imagined. This morning, I was washing our shirts and put approx 4-5 shirts in the wash, then transferred them over to the spin side. The spinner had absolutely no problem drying this sort of load, and when they came out, they were just slightly damp. Other reviewers said they couldn't put much clothing inside the device at all, but I kind of find this to be an exaggeration. One of the loads of my underwear/socks/bras didn't even come near the weight "Capacity" that the washer/spinner has. I actually find I am able to wash a lot more than other reviewers stated.

Furthermore, after the issues with the tube was corrected, I've found it to be very pleasant. At first, I was scared that the noise from the machine would upset the neighbors. However, I have discovered that the washing and drying are not too noisy at all. I think the first time you load something into them, like, the first few seconds, the machine is a little bit noisy. Once it gets into its groove though, it's fairly quiet. I can go into the bedroom and won't even hear it running from the kitchen. I guess this would depend where you put it though.

I put a bathroom carpet beneath the Panda to help it out. Not only is the carpet soft to the touch, but it stabilizes the machine more and offsets some of the noise.

For anyone thinking about buying this, I really recommend it. It's been a savior. We no longer have to walk in the heat multiple times for hours to change over the laundry. Our apartment bill includes electric and water, so we don't have to worry about how much we use for the item. I think if you have the same sort of conditions we do, you will find that the Panda is a blessing, even if it takes a little bit longer (from home) to do the laundry. Doing a little laundry at a time is key, really. I do about three-four small loads a day and have almost done all the overdue laundry in our apartment. It was definitely worth the money!

-----
UPDATE: 10/11/13

So I've had this for almost a full month now and have used it countless times. I think my only one complaint about the unit is how (since I have it set up in the kitchen) water can get backed up. I recently purchased a EK Manual Hand Siphon Pump for 4.99 (for some reason Amazon couldn't find the product link) in hopes that I could use it to siphon out any residual water. The backed up water is primarily seen in the spin side of the unit. It seems like, if the siphon works, this could be a very simple fix for getting out trapped water.

I mentioned in my original review that I use command strips to secure the drain tube into our sink. This has worked for the most part, but I've recently had to adjust it and add tape. It seems fairly sturdy, but I do wish there were better options to secure it. Since we live in an apartment, we can't just use anything to fix it to the sink, as Velcro attachments (probably the best option for this sort of thing) could tear the paint off of the side of the counter top.

In terms of durability and how clean it gets the clothing, this unit is fantastic. I've washed so many loads of laundry with it and haven't had any frustrations. It also doesn't take up as much detergent as a laundromat unit would, so the things we actually purchase to wash clothes last far longer than they normally would. I did purchase a drying rack that goes over the tub in our apartment. For shirts, I will hang them on hangers over the tub. Anything else, like underwear, towels, etc, I use on the drying rack. Only spinning multiple things (3-4 shirts at a time, or a handful of underwear/socks) in the spin side for 3 minutes, the clothes get fairly dry. They do not have dripping water when they are pulled out at all. Because of this, I am able to safely transport them from the kitchen to the bathroom and hang them to air dry. The clothes get completely dry overnight, and do not need a fan or anything on them to have this happen.

I will continue to update at a later date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panda Power equals Clean Laundry and Wool Fleece, February 22, 2013
Just got delivered today. I am a spinner and I had some fleece pre-soaked and ready to wash. Which is one of the reasons I got the Panda as it is not an automatic washer. I soaked the fleece in the wash water, spun out the soapy water in the spin side for 1 minute and repeated 2X more. Then rinsed and spin, repeated until the water was clear and then spun for the full 5 min after the final rinse. It was very dirty fleece. Stuff I almost threw away. The spin dryer spun so much of the filth out of the fiber I will be able to spin this wool and use it. Maybe not for fine clothing, but it IS spinnable and usable. Next I did a full load of laundry. It was very dirty light clothing. A few lightweight skirts and some tees and undies. I washed for the full 15 min and then rinsed twice in the wash side and then switched to the spin side wetting fabric a bit between each 1 min cycle then when the water came out clear I spun for 4 minutes as that was enough and no more water was coming out of the drain tube. Yes, this machine requires a bit of user input and work to operate, but then you have full control over the wash and rinse cycles. My clothes did not come as clean as I like at the laundromat and due to a nasty dryer some of my clothes got nasty oily streaks on them. Along with the soap I used which is Charlie's Soap as it is made to get out such stuff it came out. The wash action is superb. Even with a full load it got great agitation. Most washer at full capacity don't agitate well. Even the front loaders. To get dirty laundry clean you must only fill them half full to get enough agitation. Which costs a lot at the Laundromat. The savings amount to 10 dollars a week and that adds up to 520 dollars a year. I did not count the gas it takes to get there or the coffee/sodas and lunch as that is offset by the cost of the electric and water to operate the machine. And I do laundry when we go for groceries anyway. It will still pay for itself in less than 6 months. And it uses less detergent. So, there is a savings there. I put the laundry liquid in an old dish soap bottle to accurately measure it and then with the really dirty stuff it is easy to squirt in a bit more until you get suds again. It only took a small bit dribbled in. They only let you give a product 5 stars. If I could I would give it 10 stars. Watch the video on YouTube to see it in action. There is no way I can get my clothes as clean washing by hand and I know just from the sweet smell, clean and bright colors and the feel as I was hanging them to dry they are CLEAN and not still half dirty as per the Laundromat in town. They used to get cleaner but to save dollars and make more dollars the Laundromats cut the soak cycle and a rinse cycle. I am very pleased with my short try out today. I can't say enough to praise this affordable and highly efficient washing machine. Some are automatic and take less work, but cost a lot more. More automation means less control and more electricity to operate and more money to buy. This is a very Green product. I will gladly do the extra work necessary that this machine requires. This baby ROCKS!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nifty nifty washer, August 29, 2013
Thirty odd years ago, my grandmother had a slightly larger version of a machine like this. It was a gem and so it this. There are plenty of reviews telling you what a good job this machine does in terms of getting the clothes clean. And the only reason the detergent is not fully removed is that you didn't use enough rinses (and used too much detergent to start with). What I want to focus on here is what this machine actually is and how to use it to its best. This is not an automatic washer. You hook the hose up to your faucet and fill the machine for each cycle you run. When the cycle is done, the impeller at the bottom of the washing tub stops. Your laundry then sits in the water until you come in and turn it to drain. A small motor pumps the water out and down the sink drain using the drain hose. Transfer about half the load into the spinner & cycle it. Remove the spun out laundry and repeat with the rest of the load. (The spinner capacity is half the washing tub.) Return the laundry to the washing tub, refill and run a rinse cycle. Repeat the spinning process. Rinse one more cycle if you desire. Otherwise, shake out the laundry & hang to dry. Easy peasy. Because this machine uses an impeller rather than the more familiar agitator, the water swirls in a vortex. The impeller runs for a brief period one direction, pauses until the water stops moving, and the spins the other direction. Each period of swirl and pause lasts about 20 seconds. This is a very effective method for washing. I find that normally soiled clothing only needs to have a 3 to 5 minute wash cycle. How dry the laundry is when you remove it from the spinner is in large part dependent on how long you spin the batch. Lighter weight fabrics need 2 to 3 minutes, my heaviest bath towels are spun almost dry after 4 pr 5 minutes. Lighter fabrics with then air dry in a couple hours, towels and jeans 4 to 6, depending on the relative humidity of the air. The spinner runs more than twice as fast as the spin cycle on a top lading washing machine, so the improved centrifugal action removes more moisture from the textiles. The down side to this is that everything comes out looking very wrinkled. However, if you shake each item out thoroughly and then smooth it after it is hung to dry wrinkling is minimized.

Read the little manual that comes with the machine to obtain the most satisfactory results, or follow my simple rules:
1. Fasten all fasteners before washing. Zip the zippers, button the buttons, etc. The more together each garment is, the less it will tend to entangle with the others. Also, when you remove button front shirts from the spinner, you can slide a hanger up inside to hang it up - and can straighten seams and smooth the fabric more easily.
2. Place delicates and light weight knits in mesh bags before washing to protect the garment and prevent stretching. Mesh bags are available in a variety of sizes and pretty cheap. (I can't remember where, because I have had them for 3 or 4 years now, but I picked up a set of 4 for about $10 - 2 each of large and small.)
3. Don't try to wash comforters in this machine. The capacity is 7 pounds of dry textiles (clothes, sheets, towels, etc.) at a time. If you aren't sure what this is in terms of the number of items, put what you want to wash in a plastic bag. Step on your bathroom scale and take your weight. Then step off, pick up the bag and hold it close to your body. Step back on the scale. If the weight is 8 pounds higher, take an item or two out. In a matter of a week or two, you'll "just know" what is a load. NB: If you are washing jeans or similarly heavy fabrics, 6 pounds is a better weight choice.
4. Be sparing in you use of detergent. You won't see a lot of sudsing during the wash cycle, but that doesn't mean the laundry isn't getting clean. For a average load of lightly soiled clothes, I find 2 teaspoons of detergent a good measure. If you have been out gardening, 1 tablespoon is needed. Detergent residue in your laundry ages the fabric and makes your clothes look dingy. (This is true on matter what sort of method you use to wash your laundry. If you have a problem with that, add 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to your first rinse, then do a second rinse with clear water.)
5. Load the spinner evenly. Place the items in, distributing the weight evenly. Then place the plastic spin shield on top of the load and press down firmly before closing the lid and running the spin cycle. If you haven't loaded the spinner evenly, it will make one he** of a racket. Just turn off the timer and adjust the load.

This small washer works very well. Just remember, it is not an automatic machine. It is easy to take out and put away. If is light weight enough that I am able to pick it up to move it despite upper body weight restrictions. One last note, be sure you let it dry out completely inside before you put it away, or you may develop a bit of mildew inside of it. If this should happen, just fill it with very warm water and 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach. Cycle the water for about 4 or 5 minutes. Drain & rinse with clear water.