on December 4, 2009
I almost didn't buy this adapter because of all the negative reviews, but for $ 20.00 I thought it was worth at least trying.

That being said, I am only reveiewing the advertised functionality, not what I wish it would do, or what others wish it would do. As I understand this, it is only supposed to allow you to do the following;

1.) Connect your compatible Pandigital Frame wirelessly via WiFi to a Picasa Web Albums account.

I use Picasa almost exclusively so I was happy to find a device compatible with Picasa, other frames connect to Snapfish and couple of other photo services.

It does this very well once you get everything set up. You have to have a Picasa Web Album userid and password. The Picasa account is free for 1 GB of space. You can buy more space if needed. However you can store a lot of photos in 1 gb at lower resolutions, but I reccommend using higher resoultions for 9 " frames and larger.

Many reveiwers say they never got this to work. I had no problem getting connected to my network, but at first I couldn't get it to download the photos from Picasa to the frame. The screen showed that it was connected to the Picasa server, but I had a blank screen, and I know I had photos available on the server. Did some reasearch at one of the user forums and there was one post had this helpful tip.

Use your Picasa username and password, which is not the same as your email address and password, even though both methods will allow access to your Picasa account on your PC, only the Username works on the Frame. I think they call it your Picasa alias name. Once I did that, all of the photos and folders displayed.

I would have given the dongle a 5 Star rating because the dongle does what it is advertised to do, and does it well. I knocked off a Star because of the spartan insructions. They only explain how to connect your frame to your network, and they really assume you have experience. The instructions do not mention Picasa or how to connect to Picasa. You have to go back to your Frame Instruction Manual for that information and even the Frame Documention is sketchy regarding Web Albums. This is a glaring ommission since at the present time, that is the only function you can perform with this dongle.

In Summary,

This dongle does what it is supposed to do. Connect your frame via WIFI to Picasa Web Albums. Several users commented that they had hoped to give a frame to Parents or relatives that live far apart and remotely download photos to the frame from time to time. That can be done with no problem using Picasa. Just follow intructions at the Picasa website for uploading your photos to their server, then set your frame to the "Network Photos" option. Then select a photo and hit enter, or select the slide show option to display all photos in the selected Album. One nice feature is the copy feature, you can copy the Network Photos from the server directly to Frames internal memory. Good if you don't want to stay connected to the server.

I have only had this running for about 15 hours, but I want to do a couple of other tests and I will update this reveiw later, but rest assured there is no problem with the dongle. Just make sure the Pandigital Frame you purchase is Wifi or Bluletooth compatabile. Many of the older PanD frames are not compatible with this device.

One final point. The Adapter comes with a little multi angle adapter so you can adjust dongle in many different directions. This helps keep it hidden in the back of the frame. ( I mention this because I wasn't expecting it in the package) I was worried that the dongle was going to stick out of the back of the frame, but using the extra adapter the dongle is flush with the back of the frame now, and out of sight.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 22, 2010
I bought this adapter with the intention of giving digital frames as gifts to the parents this Christmas that are set up to view specific Picasa albums of my new-born daughter. Setting up the wireless connection was easy (I'm running 64-bit WEP so not experiencing the 128-bit problems others have). It then prompts you to enter the username and password for your picasa account. There-in lies the fundamental flaw in the whole product.

Picasa is connected universally to everything Google - which includes my GMail account, which is probably the closest guarded password I have since all bank accounts and other accounts are linked back to it. Anyone with access to my GMail account can ask my bank to reset the password, read the email they send and gain access to everything I have.

You cannot connect this frame to public Picasa albums that you would normally share with friends. You must enter the account password, giving access to all albums, and worse still, the password remains visible on the setup screen. Now I can't give these frames as presents with my gmail account password included! How moronic and short sighted of the developers of this product!

The only alternative I can think of is to set up a separate Picasa account - and separate gmail account etc for each Picasa album and log on with those from the frame. This is a total pain as I was hoping to share from my Picasa account (which I have paid for!).

I also notice that you can't just set the frame up to play automatically from a Picasa album. You have to navigate through the menus to get to Picasa and select an album every time you turn the frame on. This completely defeats the point of giving this frame to grandma because she'll never figure it out and hence will never see my pictures! I'm so very very disappointed!

Also - the slideshow option for the Picasa album view ignores my configuration to shuffle the pictures. So very very annoying!

What is wrong with these product developers? There isn't a single digital frame on the market that does the fundamentals well. Such as:

1) Set up and forget - frame must be capable of being set up and given as a gift and play automatically
2) 4:3 aspect ratio - photos are not widescreen. Widescreen is NOT better!
3) Fade-to-black transition - forget the gimics, this is the only transition you'll actually want (and this frame doesn't do it!)
4) Ken burns effect with face recognition - again, this frame doesn't do it
5) Rotate frame == rotate photos
6) Shuffle slide show - of course you don't want to view your 64000 photos in order! You'll never see past the first 100!
7) Support for folders - real folders. Stop dumbing down the features. We understand what folders are so let us use them! Why the hell would I want to mix up my wedding / vacation / party / art / baby photos in one single massive folder! Grrrr! And - I want to name my own folders. And... I don't want to move 1000 photos to a folder one-at-a-painstakingly-slow-time you MORONS! Even my gramdma asked to use folders on the frame I gave her and she's never touched a computer in her life! She can't put other photos on it now because she doesn't want them all mixed up!
8) Web support. The whole point of a frame is to share your photos. A frame should be able to display photos simultaneously from a number of online sources. Obviously these sources need to be public (or at least accessible with a given shared password - not THE account password you dummies!).

Is this too much to ask? It seems so because there simply isn't a single Goddamn frame on the market for under $500 that does these simple tasks.

I'll be sending this POS back like all the other frames I've tried.
on August 18, 2009
I too purchased the Pandigital PANWF01 WiFi Dongle with USB Adaptor as, what I thought would be, an easy method for my wife to transfer pictures from her computer to the picture frame. I went through the efforts of creating a Picasa account (and as indicated by another reviewer, I didnt realize that I would have to post my pictures on some domain to get this feature to work) and uploaded my pictures to the site. I set up the picture frame for my router and entered the Picasa account information as the (minimal) instructions directed. The pictures never made it to the picture frame. Their web site is very much useless and the instructions are lacking in every respect. If you are looking for a picture frame to display your pictures directly from your PC or USB stick then you might be happy with this frame. If you are looking to use it wirelessly.... Well I suggest you look elsewhere.
on April 14, 2009
...but alas, it was not.

I purchased the Pandigital 8" frame as a gift to myself and my wife. I also bought it because I thought it would be a great gift to give both sets of parents living on the other side of the country 3,000 miles away. The plan was to throw some pics of our new home and experiences on the internet (a dedicated domain name) and just have it automatically update on the devices.

After reading the instructions, I come to find out that the wi-fi dongle only works with Google Picasa. Now, to be clear, I have no issue with Picasa or the web-version either. A heads up on the packaging would've been nice.

Going through the installation was a bit of a chore. If your wireless network is encrypted, it is a pain to enter your password. Then you have to have it sync with your Picasa Web Albums. If I remember right, the albums have to be public. Don't quote me on that.

Final Thought: It's a neat little device when it works flawlessly. However, it wasn't what I was looking for in trying to solve my dilemma. I ended up tossing the idea of giving the frames as gifts. I had a spare 1 GB SD card lying around, so I loaded it up with pics of famous art pieces and now I have my own little museum.
on November 25, 2010
When I was thinking of buying this product, I became skeptical after reading all the reviews here and other sites about not being able to connect to picasa. However, I decided to give it a shot. As many people complained, it didn't work when I attempted to connect to picasa. Connecting to wifi with 128 bit WEP was straight forward though. The weird part with connecting to picasaweb was, I was able to connect initially with one of my two accounts, but after few attempts, neither of them worked. When I created a new account, I was able to connect using it. But, I was not sure when that would stop working. So, I decided to return the product and put in a return request with Amazon.

While waiting for UPS pickup, I decided to checkout the "frameit" option. Frameit is a nice concept that was developed by Microsoft and PanDigital is configured to work with frameit. Check out the PanDigital manual to see how to configure your digital frame for frameit. You don't have to store your username or plain-text password on the digital frame for frameit to work.

When you have your frameit account configured, setup a custom RSS feed that would point to your picasaweb RSS feed for the album. When you open your album in picasaweb, you will see a RSS feed link that you can right click and "copy shortcut". For your picasaweb RSS feed to work, you have to have the album set as "Public" or "Anyone with link". If your album property is set to "Private" RSS feed will not work. You can create a collection and add this RSS feed to that collection. Make sure you don't add more than 300 photos to a RSS feed. The digital frame will take a very long time to load up if you have lot of photos. I had trouble if I added too many albums as RSS feed to the same collection (more than 500 photos).

Now, I have all my picasaweb photos streaming to my digital frame. The best part is, you can set this up and give the frame to anyone who is non-technical. You can control what they see via frameit website.

I have given four star rating because of the technology and frameit. Ease of setup is worst! You have to know what you are doing to get this working.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2010
After reading all the reviews, I would have returned this device except for one reviewer's reference to FrameIt as a way to make photos accessible to non-technical people. Unfortunately, Microsoft is discontinuing FrameIt effective December 15th, 2010.
on January 21, 2010
I bought the 10.4" Frame and discovered this item was optional so I ordered it from Amazon. they ran out so I ordered again and Amazon warehouse sent one. Directions are Spartan but clear enough for me to connect to my Linksys router via WPA2/AES. After that the directions end. There is nothing about how to connect to Picasa web. The frame however does tell you to open an account if you don't already have one. I had to exit from that screen and then the option to enter username and password appeared. From there it connected and displays all my PUBLIC Picasa web folders. Even though I'm logged in to Picasa the frame will not display hidden or password protected folders/albums. The frame will cycle (slide show) only the folder/album selected. Only one folder/album can be selected at a time as far as I can tell. It does a great job of displaying all the photos of all the albums I tried. I'm pleased that it never froze or hung on any photo or album during the day that I tried it. The dongle or the frame remembers your network settings and Picasa login so that does not have to be entered again. the unit is smoked plastic with a green light that flashes when transferring data. The included elbow hides the dongle behind the frame.

For $20 it's a great little gadget but I would not suggest it for non technical people. The missing directions and technical knowledge required to have this function is at least partly why the reviews are so negative. Loading a 4 or 8 gb SDHC card is much easier than setting this up.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 7, 2010
This product allows you to connect your Pandigital WiFi enabled unit to the Internet using your home WiFi connection. Beware that this product will not work for ANY Pandigital photo frame. Only those models that say so in the manual. Check it out.

It worked out of the box as soon as I plugged it into our PI1051DW and turned it on. The PANWF01 was recognized by the photo frame and prompted us to configure the WiFi network we wanted to connect to. It allows you to have 3 WiFi networks pre-configured (this is handy for multiple locations).

The navigation to get to the on-line services is not immediate. There are few options to select from and you will have to use the remote or the keys behind the screen to access them, but this is not an issue of this product, but the frame itself. However, I bought it with the hope of giving it to my parents so I could manage new pictures for them very often with minimum to no intervention from their end with the photo-frame and I was disappointed with the process that they most follow to access them.
on February 24, 2011
This adapter no longer works with any of the features it says it does.

FrameIt has been discontinued, Snapfish and Picasa do not connect (contacted Pandigital, they basically said it wasn't their problem and the companies need to find a way to connect to their hardware), and good lucking getting it to work with connecting to PC. It took me a good hour to get it set up (Experienced user), and it didn't connect half the time. You're better off buying a bluetooth adapter if you want to send them wirelessly (and it goes through, too!). Buy a memory card if you want the best option.
on January 13, 2012
I have the Pandigital 7" frame and I would just love to know where to purchase the WiFi adapte... or can someone please tell me what other one will work! I realize this isn't what this space is used for, but I am running out of options. I have purchased 2 different ones and frame will not recognize either. I called (waiting for a looooooong time) to Pandigital only for the guy to tell me they had discontinued this item, had nothing to replace it, and they had no idea which other to buy... to go to a local store with frame and ask them....... Thank you in advance

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations