I imported this one months ago because I was certain we wouldn't see a release, but it looks like we were all surprised! XSEED has released this game in the USA.

Published 20 months ago by ZeeZee

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the game-ending glitch that won't be patched
Published 18 months ago by S. Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Action / Adventure / RPGs I've Played in Years., April 16, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

Pandora's Tower is one of the most enjoyable games that I've played in years! And even though it doesn't quite match up to all of these games, it reminds me of a unique blend of Neir, Shadow of the Colossus, and Castlevania SOTN, all of which have been excellent games that I found to be a blast to play. Even though I already own the import, I've also purchased XSEED's US release as well, to support them for giving fans what they've been asking for.

This game is a highly story-driven and emotional epic that will grip you for 20-30 hours. You really feel a sense of urgency and concern for the fate of the characters. Tidbits about the back story are uncovered throughout letters and diaries that are discovered throughout the towers, slowly providing insight as to the cause of Elena's ill fate. The overall tone of the game is bleak and depressing, yet hopeful. Certain moments in the story really do a fantastic job of portraying this, and really attaches you to the characters and their situation.

I found the gameplay mechanics to be fun and worked well. It borrows elements from several other action games, though is not going to win any awards for innovation aside from some of the ways that the chain is utilized in combat and navigating the environments. There are many games with smoother combat mechanics, but I never felt inhibited by the game's controls. The chain is both a weapon that damages enemies as well as a mechanism of incapacitating some (particularly stronger types). It's best used in conjunction with your blade.

Music is well-done, inspired by several classical tunes that some might recognize. Common themes are reused in spite of having a pretty large score, similar to the way the Nier score was handled (though Nier has a better score, in my opinion. Many of Pandora's tracks still borderline on sounding a bit synthesized.). Some may not like this reuse of themes, but I find it to be enjoyable and it does a good job of highlighting a particular mood or plot device.

Graphics are excellent for a system that is around 7 years old and limited to anamorphic 480p. I like HD systems as much as anyone else does, but I still play just as many Wii games these days as Xbox 360 games. It honestly doesn't make or break a game for me. I found that the environments were varied and well-detailed. Levels are well-designed and fun to explore. There are 27 basic enemies in total, and unique bosses at the end of each tower. Most are typical action-RPG fare but provide enough variety to keep things enjoyable. Bear in mind that this is just half as many as Xenoblade has (not counting palette swaps), which is a game that is 3-4 times longer.

If anything, my only real complaint about Pandora's Tower is that I would prefer it to be a bit more difficult. The game lacks the ability to crank up the difficulty, as far as I can tell. Only during a handful of scenarios did I find that the battles were very difficult and I had urgent need for health items. The game tries to compensate for this by limiting the number of items that you can carry. I suspect that one could force themselves to be ultra hardcore and play without carrying these, but it still only matters most against boss fights once you have the mechanics mastered.

This game is going to appeal to gamers that really get wrapped up in the narrative. I was personally impressed with the writing and loved the old school gameplay. Casual gamers that are interested in only graphics and flashy battle mechanics are probably not going to like it, hence the mixed reviews. It is not a technical marvel, but I don't believe that it is intended to be. This doesn't mean that it is any sort of slouch, from these perspectives, but some may find this unforgivable when they've been spoiled by modern systems and high budget titles. If this game were released several years ago, it undoubtedly would have received rave reviews. Like Nier, some people will simply have a hard time looking past its faults to really see what makes it so excellent. You can really see how much of a labor of love this game is for the team that developed it. And it will likely only be years from its release that it is recognized for its contribution to gaming.

Pandora's Tower has multiple endings. These are generally based upon the level of affinity that Aeron has with Elena. I achieved the "best" ending on my first play through. Again, as with Nier, you get to resume gameplay with a new game plus. This, however, is even more forgiving. Rather than starting at a predetermined point, you can select any chapter. This allows you to manipulate the affinity with ease and achieve all of the endings as well as extra items that could not be obtained the first time around. This added touch contributes to replay value. I've clocked in about 35 hours so far and still have not reached 100% completion. Ironically, I've found that the "best" endings are actually achieved through lower affinity. These have the saddest and most memorable plot elements and also tell other aspects of the story that could be missed with just a single play through.

Don't pay heed to only what the big review sites say. This is a fantastic game full of great writing and fun gameplay. Of the original three Operation Rainfall games, this one probably was the most influential for me in spite of the fact that it was probably the lowest budget of the three titles. It has such a sad and memorable plot that really pulls you in, much like the ill-fated Nier which was panned by professional critics. I have a hard time choosing between this and The Last Story as my Op Rainfall favorites, for different reasons. I wasn't all that fond of Xenoblade in spite of investing 110 hours until it (I am a big fan of the director as well). But there are many people who loved it as well. It just goes to show you that there are varying opinions about these games. Each one will have its share of fans.

Please give this great game a chance and you might enjoy it as much as I did. Support Xseed and support Ganbarion so that we see more great games from this small, but talented company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and interesting game... But holds a few bugs close to endgame., April 26, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This was a game I was excited to play and add to my collection. And I'm fairly satisfied with it.

While the gameplay isn't groundbreaking by any means, it is still pretty solid. You make use of a few weapons in the game. All of which can be upgraded to perform more attacks and raise it's strength. But what I found was that I hardly ever used them. The main thing I used was the chain you get from the beginning. Because it provides distance, meaning you're safer from getting hurt, and if done correctly can stop most of your enemy attacks. The close range weapons like your sword doesn't really do much and can leave you open for a pounding if used by itself. But you can also guard as well. Though, perhaps I just wasn't as good with them. But this doesn't take away from anything! You can also link the chain to two enemies and even deal damage (when struck by your sword, etc) to both connected. Long story short, I find the chain more useful than anything.

The towers are also quite good. There is plenty to do within them. While reaching the top can be daunting at times, due to the fact that you have to get flesh back to Elena in a certain amount of time or it's game over, they are still very basic and very doable. Once you get a feel for them and figure out the path/using your chain they should become easy. And they even have items you can farm from them depending what time of day/night you enter. You'll need these for upgrades and crafting your items/gifts.

The Masters are...well... Easy or hard depending on how you go about them. Each Master has it's own specific way of defeating. Though, the first one is quite the pushover! You'll have to read notes that give you hints or figure it out yourself. Once you figure it out, you should have no problem winning. Just expect a few beatings in between.

The music is pretty nice in the game. I actually really enjoy the music that plays when you fight the Masters. But... I can't say the music is spectacular. Just nice.

Voice-acting? Pretty good, actually!

Now comes Elena... Who actually surprised me! I didn't expect going into this game to like her all that much. But I found that I did. She really grew on me as time progressed. Just seeing her in the final stages of becoming a beast was kind of heartbreaking. There are plenty of cutscenes with her and Aeron. You just have to do certain things within the game to see a few of them. Examples: Letting her change, chatting, increasing the bond (which determines your ending as well), giving her certain gifts, and even giving her all the flower seeds she needs. That's just a few, though. Elena has an odd way of making me care... But I'm not complaining. The interactions between her and Aeron are done really well. Aeron doesn't say all that much in the game, but you can learn quite a bit about him as well!

I enjoyed the story and the (best) ending. I can't say much more than that without spoiling. Some of it relies on what you do in the game to determine your outcome.

Did I enjoy this game? I definitely did. But what holds me back from giving it 5 stars are the bugs. Once you reach tower 11/12 the game decides to dick you over at times. Once you try to enter them, there is a very good chance the game will freeze up randomly at where it loads... Which makes you have to unplug your system/force it off. This happened with me constantly and frustrated me to no end. I was able to /finally/ beat the towers and beat the game. I would even say that the game has replay value with more unlocked in NG+ and multiple endings. But the bugs stop me from going back and playing it. I just don't want to deal with turning my system off and on a lot, again. Maybe this won't happen on your copy... But it did mine. XSEED should've looked over the game more before releasing it.

All in all, I give it a 4 out of 5. Bugs just hold it back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the game-ending glitch that won't be patched, June 6, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I was really enjoying this game. I bought it in support of XSeed's localization of an obscure title. Unfortunately, their efforts must have been rushed because the game contains a game-ending glitch! Around the 11th/12th towers (essentially the final towers), a bug occurs where if you warp out and then attempt to enter the other tower, the game freezes, requiring a hard reset of the console.

The worst part is that XSeed are aware of the glitch but won't patch it. We've seen with Skyward Sword that it's possible to patch Wii games, but XSeed have released a statement saying they won't patch it due to low sales. How's that for a kick in the shins? I bought this game to support XSeed but now they won't support me. How can I support them in the future, when they don't test their products thoroughly, release them with game-ending glitches, and then refuse to patch them?

For that, I can't recommend this game to anyone, no matter how good it might be otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive but fun, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The basic plot is to beat dungeons in different towers to fix your girlfriend, and for about the first three towers, I was solidly entertained, and after that, I sort of half-heartedly plodding along until the conclusion. The controls are just complicated enough to be engaging, but not so difficult that they're impossible. The music and graphics are either dark and spooky or bright and cheery, depending on what's happening in the game. The main character, Aeron, uses a chain/sword combo, and it's lots of fun to swing around the buildings and rubble and figure out how to best bring down the giant beasts you're fighting. However, it's pretty much the same thing... every. single. dungeon. They try to spice things up with political intrigue, religion, and the mysterious history of the towers, but it personally didn't keep me engaged. It reminded me a lot of Shadow of the Colossus, both in tone and in plot--save your girlfriend by fighting a set number of freaky things--and the repetitiveness of the missions. So if you like games like SotC, I think you'll like this one, too. One thing this game has going for it that SotC didn't have is the fact that you can get different endings depending on how much attention you paid to your girlfriend, which is a nice sidequest kind of thing, or at least gives it some replay value. So in summation, give it a try, but don't be too surprised if you find yourself just going through the motions after a while.

2.0 out of 5 stars Common Major Glitch near end of game, June 8, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
The game is great until you run into the tower 11 and 12 freeze glitch. There's a few workarounds that can help you finish the game, but they are annoying and won't help all the time. This issue quickly turns one of the best games on the Wii to garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pandora's Tower - Wii's Swansong, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Pandora's Tower has finally reached North America. Though it seemed like this day would never come, XSEED once again saved the day like they did with The Last Story, so now everyone can enjoy this excellent action RPG. Similar to a game like Nier, Pandora's Tower may not be without its faults, though it is a stellar game that overcomes any minor fault it may have, because much like Nier, this is a pretty original experience, sprinkled with some Zelda and Castlevania influence, but its greatest feature is its story and characters.

The gameplay is very much what you'd expect from an action RPG, but it combines the sword combat with the chain, which allows you to interact with the environments, enemies, etc. You can also use the chain to platform through the towers, adding verticality to a genre that usually doesn't have any. In addition, there are many puzzles, which are pretty well done. The boss battles are another fantastic part of Pandora's Tower, which use the chain to add puzzle-like elements, bringing in some Zelda comparisons. The gameplay is really solid throughout.

The story is by far one of my favorites I've experienced on the Wii. It's an emotional journey about a guy trying to save the life of the woman he loves. It shows the lengths that one will go to if it's the only way to protect the person they care the most about. This is a test of love and devotion. The story plays out beautifully. Adding to the story, the protagonist must reach the end of each tower and get the flesh back to his love before the timer runs out (about 30 minutes per tower or so), freeing her from the curse for just a little longer, or else she'll turn into a monster. It adds an urgency to the situation at hand.

One flaw, for example, may be the graphics, which some may take issue with, though I didn't. While there's no doubt that this is a Wii game, I think the cutscenes look really good and the gameplay looks pretty nice, though perhaps not on par with The Last Story's great presentation.

Pandora's Tower needs to be played. Show your support for XSEED bringing out a Wii game in 2013 by buying this ASAP. I already had the PAL Limited Edition, but I bought this a second time to show my support.

4.0 out of 5 stars A favorite, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I greatly enjoyed this action-adventure. The use of the chain to move around creates spaces that are almost non-Euclidean. Each dungeon is different and the puzzles are clever. The boss design is a particular strength: most of the bosses were unlike anything I'd seen in a previous game.

The game has gotten some criticism for "recycling" towers, since Towers 6-10 have the same general floor plans as Towers 1-5. But despite the apparent similarities, the "recycled" towers play completely differently from the previous ones.

Cons: the music in the towers is meh (though the boss music is fantastic). The save-the-girl-from-the-curse plot is extremely trite and predictable. There's a serious bug near the end of the game that may require you to restart your game multiple times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game with a terrible flaw, September 8, 2013
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is really great, it has a deep and interesting story. As time passes you really come to worry about Elena feeling bad when you don't bring her the meat in time. The battle system is pretty cool with the chain and the others weapons (each one has strong and weak points), the puzzles are kinda easy but some towers are complicated (for me especially the two last ones). It has a lot of things you can get to put in the observatory on for Elena, also it has replay value because of the archives and the differentes endings.

The terrible flaw is that when you a re in the last parts of the game sometimes (almost always to to me) when you try to enter a tower the game will freeze and you will have to unplug your wii, thats a really bad thing. This can be kinda avoided if you sleep until 7 am or 6 am (the time when you see the breakfast scene) and then go to the tower, that reduces the possibility of the game freezing.

Its really a shame that a game this good has such a big flaw, thats the only reason I'm giving it 3 stars, if not for this bug in my opinion the game would deserve 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, Earth Smegging Glitch, July 9, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Excellent Game. Great Graphics (for the Wii). Decent Music (Cool but repetive). Awesome Story.

However suffers from the most Earth Smegging Glitch Ever.

Gambrion (not XSeed) screwed up the NA localiztion. Towers 11/12 will random crash before they can load, only unplugging the console will stop the freeze and audio hum. I thought I had a bad disk and asked for a replacement but this is apparently affects everyone.

If you only want to play 80% of a game and never see the awesome endings. Then have I got a game for you. And some land in FLorida to sell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I got this game for a friend who read about it and wanted to play it. He told me he's very happy with this game, so count this as a pleased costumer.

Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii
Pandora's Tower - Nintendo Wii by Xseed Games (Nintendo Wii)
$19.99