5.0 out of 5 stars New to Spanish

Published 20 months ago by The Sparrow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Spanish, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
I've never taken Spanish before and only knew a few common terms. I have no talent for languages, and, in fact, have had to take "beginning 1A" courses in Italian several times at different schools, with different texts before I feel like I "get" it. All of the classes I took had some 'online" component. This program, with workbooks and online tutorials and practice exercises, videos and audio tools is by far the best I have used. Everything works together. If you do it all (and there are A LOT of exercises and homework), I don't see how you couldn't learn the language. I would also say it is the most difficult because of the sheer amount of work involved (the content is the same and the explanations are similar). It seems like it is overwhelming just because of the huge number of assignments, but many are similar and just provide new practice on the same thing. Repetitive but that's what it takes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could rate it ZERO, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
This review covers the textbook AND the software that goes with the book. I preface my review by stating that I am a University Mathematics Professor that uses software in some of my math courses; in other words, I understand how educational software should work. With that said, I have thus far found many many errors in the book's software--and those were for just the first four chapters. It is EXTREMELY frustrating for students to learn new material when there are errors in the material. For example, a question asks: Who said Hola? The required answer is: Jimena. However, before Jimena said Hola, her mother said it, then her father said it. And yet, Jimena was the only acceptable answer. Another example: What was Eduardo playing with after the game? The required answer was a Pelota. Except, it wasn't Eduardo playing with the ball, it was Felipe!! This course is taking me hours and hours of time because I am constantly having to stop and REPORT AN ERROR. In addition, this course does what language courses should do: introduce the student to culture. HOWEVER, the culture to which the student is introduced is MOVIE STARS and SPORTS & FAMOUS ATHLETES. Even the section in Lesson 5 that covers Machu Picchu, after giving just a tidbit of history, spends the rest of the time covering what visitors think of the site. Gee whiz...I would rather learn more history. Finally, there is the old-fashioned place of women: they're just girls. For example, the male athletes are called MEN, the female athletes are called GIRLS (see Lesson 4). In addition, when a group arrives at a hotel, the men crash in the lobby and the women check everyone in. Others might find this trivial, but for those of us who have spent years going through professional diversity training at their corporations (i.e., when they were an engineer before they became a professor) these subletities carry a now defunct stereotype of women. If it weren't for these issues, I would enjoy the course as the book is laid out well and includes plenty of exercices for practice.

1.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book, but don't buy it used!, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
I thought I was getting a bargain with a used text, but the book did not include a code!I ended up having to buy a code, and paid more than if I had bought a new package. Just buy new - it's cheaper!

1.0 out of 5 stars Panorama--Spanish textbook, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
From a stand point of a student who has never taken Spanish, I would have found it much more helpful to have English translations for ALL of the Spanish text. This would have helped me get a better handle on how Spanish 'flows' and where to drop words that there's no translation for etc.

The listening comprehension through the Web-Sam program that accompanies the book can be difficult too. Some of the speakers mumble and provide poor pronunciation for words you're expected to enter into the program for points. In some instances, there wasn't a way to accomplish coming up with an answer, which equates to "0" points. But, hey! I'm just trying to learn the language and believe the native speakers need to s-l-o-w down until learners become more proficient and comprehension can take place.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ah, mui bueno!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
Yo, purchaso esto libro por estudiar el spanisho. Nowo I speako spaniho excellente! Thanko esto libro! Esta mui bueno por learnar el spanisho! Yo, reccomendo a todos mundo.

Sayonara!

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is a joke. A horrible , unfunny joke., September 6, 2011
A. Griffin-Hall "superZONic" (New York City, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
Let's talk about how rubbish this book is.

1) It is ENTIRELY too busy. The layout is horrible. A massive, virtually incomprehensible, jumble of overly colorful concepts with ridiculously poor mapping if you hope to reference back to anything during your course.

2) There are no answers to the questions. This is college. Too often professors can't be troubled to provide answers and just skim when going over homework. So, you are S.O.L. if you wish to know if you are on the right track. I suppose ordering the teacher edition would address this issue.

3) You are essentially forced to use the Supersite at an added expense of $50 (2011) even after you've shelled out probably over a hundred dollars for the book and workbook/video manual (which ALSO has no answers to check yourself against). There is just no way to acquire these materials in a thrifty manner. I am minutes from breaking down and purchasing the supersite code separately in order to hopefully make some sense of this material. I am so very fortunate to be familiar with Spanish because the rank beginner is going to have a sad time of it trying to orient to this cruddy door stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like brand new for used book!, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
My book came one day earlier than stated and was in like brand new condition, even though it is a used book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for a schoolbook!, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
I received my item promptly and in excellent condition. The book content itself seems pretty good and i am enjoying my semester of Spanish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
This is a great book in helping understand the concepts of the subject so that you can do well in class!

2.0 out of 5 stars Answers written in the text, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
The book had writing in it. When the answers are all written in the book is not very useful. Thanks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola
Panorama: Introduccion a La Lengua Espanola by José A. Blanco (Hardcover - 2009)
Used & New from: $0.02