5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone
A great phone. Easy, easy, easy!!! I am in my sixties and was concerned that a smart phone would be to complicated for me. I chose this phone because I had a regular Pantech and liked it, also there was a great deal. I have not been sorry. Would buy again.
Published on October 6, 2011 by hadassah

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissatisfied after a year
ORIGINAL REVIEW (see updates below):

This is the second Pantech phone I've had. The first one was functional and reliable, and so I didn't hesitate (much) to try this smartphone. I liked the features, and I got it during Amazon's 1c sale, so you can't beat the price (unless you can get it free). I've had it for a week.

I was upgrading from the...
Published on October 25, 2011 by Rottlover

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone if you are not a power user, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Pantech Breakout 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The Pantech Breakout is Verizon's first inexpensive 4g phone. The specs are impressive, the 4g is fast and it works well. It has a slightly smaller screen than the more expensive phones. This is good in that it fits in your pocket a lot easier. I don't miss the size when watching videos either. When I wish I had a larger screen is when I am using the touch screen keyboard. The buttons are kind of small. Purchase a good keyboard app like SwiftKey X and it will fix all your typing errors.

The other drawback of the Breakout is all of the bloatware (applications that Verizon puts on the phone that you don't use, but they won't let you remove). This is also true of Verizon's more expensive 4g phones, but they have more memory, so it is not quite so annoying. If you want to download a lot of apps on the Breakout, you will quickly be told that you are running low on memory and that you should move apps to the SD card. The problem is, they won't let you move the bloatware to the SD card either. Hence, you are kind of stuck with the phones stock programs plus a few that you download. This is fine for the regular user. The programs that come with the phone are pretty great. Power users should look elsewhere.

The way around the bloatware is to root (this gives you permission to change all sorts of things in your phone that the manufacturer never intended) your phone. This is not a good idea for non-techies. Since the Breakout is a mid-range phone, super-techies haven't been that interested in figuring out how to root it, so it's not an easy process. Again, power-users stay away.

That said, $.01 is a great price, 4G is great technology and the Pantech works beautifully. Just figure out what you want to do with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate this phone, December 27, 2011
andrea stieff (BALTIMORE, MD, US) - See all my reviews
Loved my old droid2 but it finally died. Gal at Verizon recomended this pan tech outbreak over iPhone so I bought it with my eligible upgrade. I hate this phone!!! Every time it rings I pick it up and it hangs up on the call. The battery life is horrible horrible horrible. Stupid me assumed the camera had a flash, no such luck. The quick dial favorite widgets are too temperamental ,sometimes I want to text and it calls...ugh. I tried to return it and Verizon employee convinced me to give it more time to get used to..now I can't return it and I'm not eligible for an upgrade till 2013. Hate this phone soooooo much, I may fork over the $700 for an iPhone just to have a phone that works. Save yourself the heartbreak and carefully compare features before buying this pos. just don't listen to employees who are trying to move models. Do side by side comparisons and read reviews. This phone is not worth any price..in fact I'd pay NOT To use it!!!
P.s. I would like to retract the one star and give it negative stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars shuts down, November 26, 2011
so i got this phone cause it looked good, had the keyboard features i like and it was only .01.
i have had it for 9 days and it has shut itself off 4 times.i had to pull the battery to get it operating again. i called verizon as amazon suggested and we did a hard re-set to see if it fixes the issue. don't have high hopes.it's too bad because otherwise i really like this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone Value, November 9, 2011
Had mine for a few days & I am very impressed. I got mine at Best Buy for $30. Saw the Amazon deal later. Anyway, it is a great phone even for the extra $30. I did buy the case & a screen protector from Amazon. Much better price than BB. The case fits perfectly & the Skimomi SP is almost invisble! I had Samsung Charge ($150 at BB) for a few days, but this Pantech is better in every way, save for the super amoled screen on the charge. But I don't really miss that screen. The BO has a very good screen in it's own right. I would have liked a headphone jack protector, but no biggy. I just put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

The BO seems faster in every way compared to the Samsung Charge. The BO has a better processor, Andoid 2.3 & more RAM.

-BV

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome- just awesome!, October 26, 2011
Just got this phone yesterday as a replacement froma stolen Metro PCS phone. and i have not put it down yet. This is way better than i expected. Easy to use. Great looking icons. Cool preloaded apps. I cant think of a thing to downgrade this. Its cool that its not as big as the other 3G phones, too. Seriously- i love it!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Battery Life!!, January 29, 2012
I dimmed screen, turned off GPS and turned off Wi-Fi and I am still needing to charge this phone everyday! It has a lot of apps which I guess is good. I would say avoid because of the short battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, light, thin, and fast, October 17, 2011
Also has actually home and back buttons on bottom panel of phone. Fast downloads too. Averaging speeds of around 7mbps in DC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not So Good, August 15, 2013
I bought this phone in May of 2012 and have now had it for over a year. This phone was a miracle for the first month or so of me having it and using it constantly. After having it for about 2 months, I began to notice the phone slowing down. I went through and deleted my unused apps, hoping to free up some storage space and possibly increase speed. When that didn't work, I reduced the brightness settings and installed a battery protector app (Juice Defender). This app helped my battery life greatly for about 3 or 4 months. After about 4 months of having Juice Defender installed on the phone, I started getting pop-ups on the home screen saying that it was not responding and I had the option to either Force Close or Wait for it to begin working again. This would happen about once or twice a day for about a month. Eventually, this warning appeared every time I tried to go to my home screen. If I turned the phone on, I had to fight with the home screen to get the apps I use regularly into the Task Manager. I still do it this day even. Also, the phone freezes constantly no matter what you do and the only way to get it working again is by taking the battery out and turning it back on and fighting with the home screen for another 15 minutes.

This phone is a dream when it's new, but after a few months, it goes down hill. In order to use this phone, you must have A LOT of patience and time. I have neither one of these things.

Would not recommend this phone to anyone, no matter what the terms may be.

1.0 out of 5 stars This phone is the worst for a smartphone!, July 10, 2013
First it comes with preinstalled apps that you CANNOT delete and are completely useless, such as the NFL game! This in itself isn't so bad because you can hide them, however these hidden apps DO take up memory which this phone IS short on. And if you are not using them you must take the time to make sure to set the apps to NOT automatically update.

This phone does not allow you to increase the font size to make it readable, so glasses or a magnifier are a must for those with poor vision. There is an app available to do this, but is poor also.

And speaking of apps, the memory is almost non existent in this phone. I have Facebook and the Kindle reading app on it and CANNOT add any additional apps as there is NOT enough memory.

I HAVE been counting down the days soon after the day I got it to get my upgrade. I have learned a very important lesson....RESEARCH prior to picking out or having a tech choose something they THINK you might like!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it a ZERO...but...not an option, May 22, 2013
The phone has 75% of it's memory locked in internal apps that cannot be deleted. If you update all of these apps, you are out of memory. If you don't, you will always have the "low on memory" alert since it kicks in at 70%. If you are not willing to ROOT your phone, you have no business buying this POS.

ARRAY(0xd991fe30)