4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good

Published 19 months ago by RunnerDude

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
My previous phone (A LG EnV3) was a terrible phone, so I was looking forward to getting a new phone. The only thing I do with my phone is text and make the occasional phone call so I didn't want a smart phone, however, I did want a phone with a QWRTY key board. I also did not want a touch screen; therefore this phone was perfect for me. It was a nice cheap phone (free when I updated my contract) that fulfilled all of my wants. The phone also has a demo of UNO that you can play as many times as you want. The only thing that is annoying about the demo is that after every game you have to load the game back up all over again, but hey, free UNO games so nothing much to complain about. I haven't played with the internet features and e-mail features because I don't use that kind of stuff on my phone, so I cannot review that part for you. I love this phone; the only thing I don't like is the battery life. My old phone could last a week on a single charge with very little use. I could leave this on my bookcase fully charged for three days, not even touching it, and it'll die. Someone told me I had some kind of setting on in my phone somewhere that was killing it, but I have yet to find this feature. I forgot to mention that this phone has a SIM card in it and the headphone jack is not a standard size, it's the small one a 2.5mm I believe it is called so I have not used it to listen to music on, other than the speaker which works fine.

Overall, this is nice little phone if you just want to text and make a few calls, but if you want something fancy then you should look somewhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
It's a phone and it works like a phone does...I don't need it to play music or to watch videos or to post on social sites. I have had no issues with battery life or dropping calls. If you're looking for a basic phone without bells and whistles, you can't go wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PHONE, June 21, 2012
Joslin (Nome, Alaska) - See all my reviews
*Functionality*

I had one of the original Pantech Jest phones that had the touch "Ok" button, and while I liked the functionality and overall design, that part drove me INSANE! I HATED it!

With this version, having the actual buttons present is a relief. No more having to double tap or triple scroll to get the button to work.

I am a college student who definitely does not want to pay for all the data plans and web fees so this phone, which can be purchased without a data plan, is great! The camera is good and has the basic features you would expect from a basic phone. Making calls is easy, texting is a breeze and using the built-in apps is seamless! The only thing you MUST do with this phone is customize the settings, but that is the fun part of a new phone.

Some reviews complained about the background, which is something you can change. Another review complained about the backlight shutting off, which if you customize your backlight setting to stay on longer then it will. Want to see the text messages in a thread format? Just change the settings! This little phone has all kinds of settings that can be customized easily to make this phone work for you! I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything!

*Durability*

I dropped this phone about 4 stories from my college's football field bleachers through the crack in the seat straight to the ground. The ONLY thing that happened was the battery back came off and the screen had MINOR scratches, otherwise the phone kept working.

I have spilled liquid on it, dropped it in the sink and in a puddle outside and it still works just fine!

This phone has literally been through every possible test anyone could put on it and it still works very well. If and when I do upgrade to a "Smart" phone I will definitely keep this little phone as a backup!

*Overall*
This phone deserves 6 stars for being the best quality phone I have EVER had. You will not be sorry if you purchase this phone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad!, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this a little over a week now, and I'd say I like it.
I upgraded from a Samsung Intensity, which gave me frequent "butt dial" problems, and a camara that failed consistently.
The camara on this is good, and it has even better video (although I haven't transfered it yet). I haven't had any accidental dialing, and I like the way it fits in my pocket and hand.
The dial buttons have given me some problems for one because they are so very small, and my chunky frozen fingers didn't deal well with them at first. I'm over it now, and the most recent annoyance is that the dial pad doesn't include normal phone related alpha-numerics so when i was forced to call 1-800-Progressive for a car issue this morning, I got very frustrated trying to figure that out. Obviously that's not something most people will need to deal with on a regular basis.
It was easy to set up the way I wanted it and the battery seems as good or better than my last phone (which was good on batts, too).
It just takes a little getting used to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic phone!, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This phone does everything someoone with a need for a basic phone could expect from it. This doesn't take up much space, and is quite a savvy little phone. Better than most basic phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it ...knock on wood..., October 5, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone a few months ago after reading some scathing reviews. I was really worried that it would crap out on me. But this is the best phone I have had. I don't use the internet on it so that isn't an issue.So I can't really give a review on that, but I'm sure if I was using the internet I would hate it. But using it as a phone and a medium to text it works perfectly. I had heard that the keys were too small they are the perfect size for me and I think I have average sized fingers. I have had none of the problems that people have claimed to have had with it malfunctioning...knock on wood! The only negative is that it does feel a little flimsy. And I am very clumsy so I'm hoping with a case that will be remedied. Over all I love it its the perfect phone for me, a college student that has a tablet and doesn't need a smart phone with an expensive data plan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Keyboard, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone online from Verizon and it was immediately apparent that the W key barely worked - you really had to pound it to get any response. Because it was brand new, Verizon replaced it free of charge. However, the keys on the new phone quickly had a lot of problems. Unfortunately, it is now more than a week old and I would have to pay for a new phone at full price. I would not recommend this phone to anyone - it has something fundamentally wrong with its keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE!, May 4, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I love this phone! It's very easy to use and a very nice design. It is the perfect phone if your looking for something simple but very nice. Also, it's small size makes it very cute;)

1.0 out of 5 stars A horrible phone in general, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
A lot of the reviews will say that the keyboard is bad, but oddly enough mine really isnt/wasnt. It took me 2 years to figure out the fast way to shift to capital letters (it's the tiny arrow up key).

My main problem with the phone is the unlock process. To "lock" the phone you have to slide it closed. In order to unlock it all you have to do is push the OK button on the front. This "OK" button is in a HORRIBLE place. More often then not with it just being in my pocket (either face out or face in towards my leg) it will unlock. Because of a billing error with verizon I reviewed my bill extremely closely and saw that my phone had somehow downloaded a few apps that have recurring charges on a monthly basis. I NEVER use the internet or download apps on my phone because I don't have a data plan! After reviewing all other bills the phone unlocked a long time ago and ended up costing me over 200 dollars, all because of the horrible unlock design.

There have been times where sliding the phone up has been extremely hard, like something was stuck in the spring (I'm a college student so its not like I'm a mason or doing anything filthy all day that would cause dirt/grime to get into the middle of the phone).

The messaging system is beyond annoying. I text around 300 texts a month. I literally have to clear my texts ever week because of a warning message saying "text inbox is full!". I have a 2gb sd card in it, and it still relies on the extremely small internal memory to store the texts.

The camera is 2mp so you cant really expect much. In low light or moving it performs really bad. But hey, what can you expect?

I have to take medication at specific times in the day, so I have to set alarms for them. THE PHONE ONLY ALLOWS 3 ALARMS! At first the alarms performed fine, but after the phone was maybe a year old they wouldn't go off (this was randomly, one day the first alarm wouldnt trigger, then the next day it would). I've even had to reset the alarms and reschedule them because of them locking on "off".

Reception is bad, I always tend to drop calls and not connect to texting. This also seems to have gotten worse with age.

The only thing positive about the phone is that the battery charges really fast (maybe a few hours from dead to full).

If you're thinking about getting the phone just save yourself the frustration and get something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm tired of this phone after 1 year, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Pantech Jest 2, Black (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
As a phone it is fine and does not require a data plan. I receive texts and calls just fine and it is clear enough to be heard. If there is any background noise the phone picks it up and amplifies it and blasts the other caller with it. The menu GUI is ok, no better or worse than any other phone. It charges quickly and transfers data from the computer quickly, but sending pic messages is a bit slow. So it's a passable phone.

Unfortunately the complaints I have are starting to outweigh the good.
2.5mm headphone jack makes it almost useless (I've got an adapter to the standard 3.5mm but it sticks out way far otherwise you have to find headphones online that you like for only 1 device because stores don't really carry that size. It pairs fine with blue tooth devices, at least.
Even though it's not touchscreen it likes to browse menu or online and even have the lock guard.
Final straw is the end/power button has stopped working. So when it is going online or pocket dialing you can't hang up. If it ever powers down I'll be out of luck.

Update: My carrier was nice end sent a brand new Jest to replace the funky one. After another maybe 8 months now, the power button is becoming unresponsive, again. And, as a bonus the clock will freeze for an hour or two randomly. This means it will tell the wrong time until I restart the phone, using the hit or miss power button.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›