Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on August 14, 2012
I recently upgraded my phone with Verizon, and decided upon joining the smart phone horde. After reviewing the HTC Lucid, I opted to gamble on the untested Pantech Marauder. At first, all seemed well. This being my first smart phone, I didn't really understand the space demands that apps require. Having little more than 2 GB of space, I found that I had constantly delete useful apps, so install even more useful apps. While it has a slot for an microSD card, you cannot really make use of it. You cannot install apps, nor can you have your photos store directly to the card, instead you must attach it to your computer via a USB cable, or use a file managing app (provided you have enough space). Another pet-peeve, is the phone comes loaded with apps that cannot be uninstalled. Many of these apps are never used, but they are stuck there.

It obvious that Pantech is marketing to smart phone newbies, and I got suckered into this phone. I've had it now for nearly two years and its starting to malfunction. Time to upgrade to a real phone.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My father was an electrical engineer but any cell phone beyond a basic flip-phone and all computers frazzled him to no end. Step in my husband, he's quite technically savvy yet he suffered partial paralysis on one side affecting not just his leg but also his hand (unknown virulent virus is all they'll tell us...). Thank you Pantech! Finally an entry-level Android device worthy of these great men in my life!

We had to go to several stores to physically put our hands on this phone. MY HUSBAND LOVES IT! The slide out keyboard is a perfect size and shape for those with somewhat diminished hand sensation. The touchscreen is perfectly responsive - not overly sensitive while he gets the feel of his new INTERNET DEVICE WITH APPS! Finally he is no longer frustrated with having to rely on older styles such as the LG Octane, the LG Env 3 or it's predecessors and be restricted because of his remaining physical issues.

My husband loves the fact now he has apps for THE WEB including his favorite forums, Gmail, online banking, a calculator, a compass, a flashlight, the WEATHER, Youtube and has access to Google maps - all from his phone. Unfortunately my father has passed on, but were he still here today the Pantech Marauder is THE android device I would have set him up on with basic apps for his banking, maps, weather, CALCULATOR (he was an engineer of course!) and Facebook w/photos so he could see what his descendants were up to and of course with slide out keyboard for his texting needs.

Thank you Pantech, you answered our needs!
on October 8, 2012
There are really only a couple good things about this phone, but the bad things extremely outweigh them in every way.
One of the most important things is that this phone barely has any internal space and even if you put in a micro-sd card, there is no way to move apps to it from your phone. That is a HUGE problem. You can barely fit any apps on the phone because of this and the bloatware you get forced on your phone as usual. Apps are ALWAYS running, pretty much most of them!
The camera has NO flash...which is weird and very disappointing. The 5mp camera is okay I suppose, but without the flash, you can't really expect to take any good pictures without great lighting.
There are NO cases out there to get for the phone, which sucks for people who want the extra protection.
It has ICS on it, but with the limitations it has, there's really no point.
The phone is okay for anyone who doesn't mind limited amount of space and doesn't need to download more than maybe somewhere between 20-30 apps. Luckily you can still get your music and pictures onto your sd card.
For some reason we can't seem to get pictures or send pictures through text.
It IS cool however that you can "disable" bloatware on your phone, but still utter BULL that you can't uninstall that crap when it's wasting valuable space on the phone.
Why such a new and otherwise pretty good phone doesn't have APPS 2 SD capability is beyond me, considering it is so important to most people. One should not be forced to root their phone and void the warranty just to have the ability to do something most smart phones are able to do and such a basic necessary task.

It is also pretty fast though. I guess it's alright, but the 3 bummer things just take what could be an absolutely AWESOME phone and turn it into a mediocre one. Oh and the QWERTY keyboard is nice and smooth!(unlike my horrible droid 3 one which makes me insane with rage at the touch, because they put some retardedly stupid rough texture on the frigging buttons!)

It's also aesthetically pleasing and has a great user interface! The colors are way better than most of the droids I've played with. Still, at this point, even though my Droid 3 runs so much slower and is bogged down a bit, I prefer it to the Pantech Marauder. Luckily my boyfriend still likes the phone, as it's his first smart phone, so it's not as big of a deal, but still is really annoying and crappy not to be able to put apps on the SD card. I was jealous at first, but I personally can't wait until I get my next upgrade & see what is available then! I'd recommend probably trying to look at some other phones for anyone else interested.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2014
This phone is way under-appreciated in my opinion. I remember being worried that I was taking a gamble on a relatively obscure phone and manufacturer that I'd never heard of. I was worried that it was some sort of Chinese knockoff that would break after a week, but I was wrong - it turned out to be a very solid phone. I'm actually surprised that this phone isn't a lot more popular.

I've owned this phone for about 7 months and so far it hasn't had any major physical/crashing problems. I have noticed that it has a pretty low tolerance to heat - it doesn't take much heat in your car before it stops you from making calls. My battery isn't lasting as long as it used to so I'm buying a new one today, but most phone batteries do that and they're only 10 bucks.

One thing that people mention is that it doesn't come with a lot of app space, but fortunately there is a fix for that. For one, you can set the camera to store photos on the SD card. Also, you can root the phone with a few simple clicks and then use the Link2SD app to add an additional 2GB for apps. As an added benefit, once it's rooted you can remove all those worthless crapware apps that you couldn't delete previously. And you can do other cool stuff like tether, call recording, etc.

Not having a camera flash is definitely lame, but I knew about that before I bought it and was willing to accept that shortcoming. Most phone flashes take pretty bad pictures at night anyway and I because of that I rarely took night photos with my old smartphone. The missing flash isn't so bad in light of the fact that the Maurauder is the only 4G physical-keyboard phone on the planet that has a price tag of $50 used, a dual-core CPU, and jellybean. If you want a physical keyboard, the only real contender is the Droid 4 which is probably superior overall but it costs 5 times more and doesn't have a removable battery.

The physical keyboard works really well with Swiftkey, which gives you spell checking, word prediction, and other languages.

A nice bonus - if I break this phone, I'll be out $50 and just buy another so I don't have to buy insurance :-)

Bottom line - if you want a physical keyboard and 4G, the Pantech is a lot of phone for the money in should be near the top of your list. If you don't care about a physical keyboard or you're really into night-time selfies, then keep looking - you can probably find a better phone elsewhere.
on November 29, 2012
This phone is ok if you don't need a lot of internal storage space on the phone. You cannot uninstall the apps that come preloaded on the phone, so there is not a lot of room to add other ones that you want to use. I bought one big app for an astronomy program, and now I do not have any space left on the phone to add any others, or to do updates on the ones that came on the phone. The program that I found to transfer apps to the SD card is not able to be used on this phone, due to root permission issues, so I don't know of any way to use the SD card for anything except music and photo storage...which I don't need. The online manual is a joke. It will tell you how to turn on the phone...and very basic things, but it doesn't really tell you what you need to know to fully utilize the phone. And since the phone isn't sold in the local Verizon stores, the sales people there do not know anything about how to work these phones least in my experience. We bought this phone because we thought that we would use the keyboard, but we have ended up using the touch screen and not the keyboard at all, because it is just easier. For texts and emails and phone calls, this phone is fine, except you do have to charge the battery every day.
on October 19, 2012
To send and receive picture messages on this phone, go to "Messaging". Pull down the top of the screen (or slide it...whatever you call it). On the "Quick on/off" just tap the "Data" and it should turn orange, which means that it is on. Then you can send and receive pictures.
on December 28, 2012
I renewed my Verizon contract and got this phone for free. Now I'm wishing I would have gotten the free iphone 4 instead. I was just getting used to the phone after 1 month and I inadvertently dropped it about 3 feet on soft carpet. Immediately the screen became difficult to see because it develped "double vision". All the icons doubled an inch away from each other and jiggled and made it almost impossible to read text messages or use the phone. The phone works, but it is hard to use because the screen is so messed up. Of course I didn't buy Verizon's hefty insurance plan and I am stuck with this phone which is barely usable. It certainly isn't very sturdy or forgiving a soft drop.
I also had difficulty getting pictures to send with a text message. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. I'm very disappointed that my new smartphone is a wreck after one small drop.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2014
This was my first smart phone, and it was a pleasant surprise. Very easy to use and customize to my own taste. I was hesitant to upgrade to another phone because I liked this one so much. I only used the pullout keyboard once, found it easier to just use the touchscreen when needed. Compared to other phones, it is on the heavy side. This was the only drawback to the phone that I found, weight. Sadly, I dropped it a few times because of this. But it kept working great after each ding and chip to the case.
on May 2, 2013
I bought my phone about 2 months ago and it works great. I love the easy to use interface and the QWERTY keyboard. The camera is okay, although it doesn't have a flash. The only problem is to hang up a call you have to go back to the dialer screen. Otherwise, a good introduction to smartphones.
on December 14, 2013
I have had this phone for about a year or so now. It was an upgrade for me on an existing account and I was selecting from the "free" offerings. At the time this phone was the best offering with a Slide-out keyboard. I was impressed that it has both 4g LTE, and what was the latest version of Android at the time. The screen is quite crisp and the colors are deep and true. Very nice display overall. The phone is quite quick. I can see that others might have an issue with the limited space for apps. The inability to remove pre-installed apps is annoying even to a novice smart phone user as myself. I am still enjoying the phone after a year. I cannot say this about the previous smart phone I owned. As far as apps go, I am not a big user. I use the phone mostly for calling, checking email, and surfing the web when in waiting rooms, or lines. I also use it to listen to Pandora at home and when working in the yard and garden. The speaker is loud enough that I can hear adequately when the phone is in my back pocket. Youtube, Netflix, and Crackle all stream well using this phone. Websites load quickly and the phone has seldom locked up. Occasionally I have had to restart it over the course of the year. Perhaps 4 or 5 times. I have a bible software that has many versions, dictionaries, and commentaries installed, and these load very quickly. A camera flash would be nice, however that the camera takes pretty good pics is an upgrade for me. I like the thinness of this phone, and the keyboard slides and clicks into place nicely.