5.0 out of 5 stars Love it

1.0 out of 5 stars calling issues
Published on March 12, 2012 by lnwolfs

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I actually spotted this phone by accident while my wife and I were in the process of geting new ones, which happened to be Blackberry Torches. However, our new phones were already programmed and wrapped up for us, so it was too late. I TRIED in earnest to like my BB, but I found it to be cumbersome heavy, complicated and simply a bear to use, especially for texting. My wife loves hers, but I decided to go ahead and exchange mine for the Pantech pocket a week and a half later. I had never owned a pantech device before, but have looked at a few of their models over the last few years. However, none have impressed me as much as the Pocket. So far, I am very delighted with this phone.

One thing about this particular model is that it is BIG and has a screen to boot. I read negative reviews about the size of this phone and that's understandable. Nonetheless, I did not find it too terribly big and in fact, it fits in my hand perfectly. The biggest attraction is that it is a simple phone to use, yet just the right amount of apps to keep one happy. If you are looking for a blow your socks off phone, this will not do that. However, if you are looking for a "gateway" device that will accustom you to the smartphone, then this is it. Texting and surfing the web on this phone is a breeze.

Surprisingly, the battery has held up for a couple of days given the size of this phone.

The reviewer "Beach" above provided remarkable technical details, so i won't go on about that.

I believe there is a phone for everyone, and the Pocket is definitely for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon says it has A Dual-Core processor, Amazon is lying, but it's still a good smartphone!, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The Pantech Pocket it a pretty good phone,with sturdy construction and it's screen has a unique aspect ratio. I should clarify that it's unique for Android handsets, but it has the same ratio has an iPhone, but with a larger screen!

It's great for browsing the internet and reading e-books. The screen does not hurt the eyes!

If you're a reader looking for a budget phone and don't want to spend the cash on an e-reader, then this is a good option. AT&T is selling this for $0.99 on a 2-year contract. Yep, 99 cents!

For people interested in getting their first smartphone, The Pantech Pocket is a good choice. It runs on Android, so you have access to the Android Market (with tons of free apps!) and remember that Amazon has their own app market! The Pantech Pocket has a very durable construction and feels very secure in one's hand.

I do have a problem with Amazon's listing, it claims the Pantech Pocket has a dual-core processor, it doesn't, Amazon is lying about that specification. It's a single core running at 1 Ghz. Amazon, please do not lie about phone specs, it's false-advertising.

The Pantech Pocket still has more than enough processing power for most people, especially first time smartphone users.

For anyone that would prefer a durable basic Android smartphone, and likes to read books or the internet, the Pantech Pocket is good choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars calling issues, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I had my first Pocket for 4 weeks and it started to malfunction when placing and receiving calls. The person on the other end of the line could not hear me. It was dead silence. The other issue was that on occasion when taking a call the screen would go black and there would be no way to disconnect from the call or answer the call, depending on when the screen went out. I was given a brand new replacement Pocket and it worked fine for 3 days and then started having the very same issues. My service provider then tried to give me another replacement Pocket, but I insisted on a different model altogether.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice size phone, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Finally found one of these at the aT&T store to mess with today. I looked around the store to see if they had one on demo and its 4:3 screen made it very easy to spot. For texting and replying to email it flys. I had no problem banging out complicated words on the screen with no mistakes and I would not hesitate to reply to emails which may require more words than a simple text message reply. Surfing the internet was a snap and reading text heavy content was excellent with the phone, because if felt like reading a book with the screen shape. I watched some wide format Youtube video on it which had a clear picture and letterboxed the video in the screen. Yes it did have a black bar top and bottom, but as I said picture was clear. The camera gets bashed a bit in some reviews, so I tested it out and found it does lag with the AF turned on. I currently have a EVO 4G and turned off the AF with no problems. I tried the same thing with the pocket and the phone does take photos faster. I don't see this as a problem because I have survived many vacations with fixed focus cameras that took photos which were good enough and the AF and Macro modes are still there if needed. Not DSLR quality but that is OK. The camcorder takes Ok videos set at 800x480 which is my preference. The phone zipped along quite nicely the whole time I was using it and I did not experience any slow downs. I did not make a call on the phone, so I cannot comment on call quality which I have read is acceptable.
The shape of the phone does make it wider. I did not have a problem holding the phone to my ear because it has a dimpled texture all the way around. I am a guy, but I don't have huge hands.
If you are looking for the latest 15 core super ultra amoledified+ HD screened phone with a camera quality lense this is not it. If you want a phone for texting, email, watching videos, surfing the web with a camera and camcorder which will get the job done this phone will work. It is easier to text on than the EVO I am currently using and I have to say I was able to text faster than I could with my previous BB Curve. I have been looking for a Android phone with a good portrait keyboard and was going to look at the motorola admiral, but this phone will do the job while having faster data speeds than the admiral. The 'faux' 4g AT&t is faster than the 3g from sprint. I also like the advantage of not having to worry about a failed keyboard, because it is touch screen.
Overall I was impressed. The phone ran great (1 Ghz s2 snapdragon with 512 ram). I liked the screen shape for surfing and loved the keyboard. I did not buy one yet for 1 main reason. I am on sprint at 79.99 a month and I get a credit union member 10% discount which is 72 before taxes and fees. The At&t would be $85 a month with no discount + taxes and fees for 450 minutes, texting and 2GB of data. I like the phone alot, now I have to decide if I want to seitch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Office in my pocket, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This baby is all a social networking gal could ever want. It runs on Android and tons of apps are available. I'm always on the go and it makes my life easier. I can write and publish on my blog easily. It has a responsive android keyboard that makes it easy to create text. I can even answer a call and have a good chat, while expending some quality time on the tweet tweet realm or checking my emails.

My favorite things:
The size is perfect. The screen is a really good size for watching, movies and reading. I read on this one frequently and as soon as I finish it goes on my pockets. It has four button keys to easily access menu, home, back and search functions. The battery is amazing, it provides many hours with brightness.

Room for improvement:
This smartphone has a back camera, but not front camera. So if you are planning on doing some video calls to friends and family, your only option is to use the back camera, but you won't see them. The other thing is that if you turn it off, it takes a lot more time than Pantech Burst to re-initiate functions.

Overall, I love this phone. It makes me sad it doesn't have front camera but I have seen they tried to improve the things I have observe on my phone with the Pantech Burst. My husband has the Pantech Burst and he is really happy with it. Sadly, the only thing he would change is that his phone has a poor battery that he has too keep charging frequently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone for a great price, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My husband purchased this phone at the ATT store because of the screen size. As an Iphone user, I was sure he had made a mistake and bought a cheap inferior phone. After playing with his phone for the last few months, I was certainly wrong! This phone runs 4G and is faster than my Iphone. It is simple to use and the texting keyboard is extremely accurate. I would not hesitate to use this phone at all. Lightweight and portable, it is a winner for Pantech.

2.0 out of 5 stars The battery!, January 7, 2014
Joseph D Miron (San Francisco, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
this phone would be great if it keep a charge for more than a few hours. Everytime I go to use it, it needs recharging.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst phone I have ever had, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for about 8 months and I am past ready to find something else. It has memory issues. At some point it will tell you that the text message folder is full. You cannot receive text messages until you deal with the problem. The real problem is the memory is not full. It is a false message and the only way I know to fix it is to do a hard reset and then you have to start over and reload all your apps. The ROM memory is too small and so at some point you have to choose which apps you want, because there is simply not enough space for all the ones you might want.
I have had to hard reset three times so far. That is unacceptable. This phone should be recalled. I can't imagine that no one else is experiencing these problems. It is a known issue.
Rooting the phone is a must. There are too many pre-loaded apps that take up space. You cannot delete them, but you can quarantine them with another app, but only if the phone is rooted.
Simply the worst phone I have ever had. If you are not tech savvy, you will have to just live with the problems or get a new phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars very limited memory, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I had this phone for 8 month. I love design,screen is very easy to navigate. Memory is small. In the beginning it worked great but as soon as I got some apps it began to freeze up on me. It comes with a lot of apps installed on already. And it takes too much out of memory just to upgrade them. It comes with SD card. You can store some apps on it, not the apps that come with phone. Finally I got different phone. It's a shame they've got so limited memory, otherwise it could be great phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Pantech Pocket, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My husband has this phone. Great for work and play .emails, web, video. No problem. Makes iPhone looks like a child's toy.

ARRAY(0x9a3b43f0)