Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection AgeDefy Advanced Thickening Treatment, 4.2 fl. Oz.
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

VINE VOICEon December 5, 2012
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I originally gave this product a 3-star good news/bad news review. After the first few weeks of using this gel my hair felt dry and coated with product as though I'd used a light-hold hairspray. Following the instructions put far too much product onto my hair. Once I began applying it with a less heavy hand, and realized I don't need to use the gel after each and every shampoo, I am much happier with the results. Denatured alcohol is the first listed ingredient, and I believe the Pantene gel is drying to my hair. To protect my hair from this, I apply a leave-in conditioner (Sebastian Potion 9) to the ends of my damp hair. So far the combination of gel and conditioner is working beautifully.

I am 70 years old and my moderately-dry, fine, highlighted hair is becoming finer at my temples. For that reason, I was excited to give this product a try. For the past six weeks, I've applied it regularly to the roots at my hairline, on clean, towel-dried hair. My hair looks noticeably fuller, still feels soft, and has retained a nice shine. I've deducted 1 star because my hairs aren't actually growing thicker as promised. Instead my hair is simply puffier. That said, it definitely looks like I have a heavier head of hair and sometimes just the appearance of more hair is enough.
0Comment|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was not sure what to expect from Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Age Defy Advanced Hair Thickening Treatment. The name itself takes so long to say that it is almost intimidating! I have been doing hair for quite a few years now, so I realize that not every product lives up to the hype.

This hair treatment comes in a clear plastic bottle which has a pump top on it. The pump top has a cap that locks into place so it helps prevent a clog from happening over time.

The smell is very nice herbal smell with a touch of floral, but it is still quite unisex and not too girly smelling. I have tested this on a man and woman with two different types of hair. I have tested it on hair that is medium thick but color treated and thinning, and I have tested it on baby fine hair which takes a lot to give it body.

In both cases, you squirt a tiny dot of clear gel on the scalp. I only used it on the top of the head, however, as that is all I really needed to see it work. By making about six parts on the scalp and putting a dot the size of a lentil on the front middle and back of each part (from front back toward the crown of the head) it was easy to massage the gel into the scalp where it absorbed easily and quickly.

This process only takes about five minutes tops if you are really deliberate at it.

I found that in both cases, the results were instant. The hair was immediately thicker and stood up straighter from the scalp making it look thicker immediately. By using it every other day, the results seemed to stay well, but if I waited longer than that between applications, the results did not stay well.

Each treatment seemed to increase the thick appearance a little until the hair did look nice and thicker than it was before. I noticed on the medium thick hair (which was thinning on top) that the results were much more dramatic than on the baby fine hair. However, the baby fine hair was also remarkably thickened.

PROS
Makes hair look thicker after first application
Unisex fragrance
No itching or flaking
Not sticky
Absorbs into scalp
Does not make hair dirty
Very effective with small amount

CONS
Has to be used daily or at least every other day
Results depend on constant use
Expensive for amount purchased

All in all, if you have thinning hair and want a boost at the top of your head, this is not an inexpensive solution, but it does work, and remarkably so! I am quite impressed at how much thicker it made the two different types of hair after just one use (for a day or two). No bad reactions or side effects over a longer period of use make this a nice way to boost hair that needs a bit of a boost for thicker appearance. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked and highly recommend it.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 5, 2012
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am an Amazon.com Vine Program reviewer and am offered two books or products twice a month in exchange for an honest review. This month I saw some products that my wife might benefit from. She asked me to order this one for her. I did so with the promise that she would write the review. This is her review:

"I suffer from what I call "Thyroid Hair" which means that I have thin, fine, dry, flat hair. I was fortunate to get the Pantene Expert Collection Advanced Thickening Treatment from Vine. It has now been 10 days of thickening treatments and I can honestly say that my hair is fuller and has much more body. The thickening treatment that is applied either to a wet or dry scalp daily to add fullness. The package insert states that after age 40 the hair has achieved its peak diameter and grows thinner as we age. This light weight non-sticky clear fluid has a light scent that does not bother my sensitive allergies. The directions are clear and easy but I will say it does take a little extra time in the morning as you apply approximately 15 full pumps to your scalp and then massage to spread the product throughout the hair. The 4.2 oz bottle is available for under $20.00. I am not sure how long this will last at 15 full pumps per day, but so far it is worth the time and expense. Daily use is encouraged to get the full benefit of this product. I have used many hair products both from the salons and from the drug stores but this is the first time that I have had any success with making my hair look healthier."

I can tell you first hand that my wife's hair looks so much nicer than it has for years and we are really happy with the quality this product.

Although this product was free in exchange for this review, we will reorder it when this one gets low.

Enjoy!
22 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 3, 2013
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I have been blessed with what one may describe as "good hair": straight, shiny, and very thick in my younger days as I had a lot of it. However, it is also very fine and as I reach my late forties (with the ominous "f" word birthday in my near future) I find my hair thinning, especially around the temples and forehead. This seems entirely unfair as it has no problem popping out in other places on my head.

Thus far I have used it for slightly more than the fourteen days the ad says it will take for changes to show and, much to my pleasure and surprise, it is actually working! The hair around both my forehead and temples appears to be much thicker and it is helping with breakage I was getting from styling. While not the hair of my youth, one can no longer see my scalp around my temples, the area where it was most obvious.

A little of of this product goes a long way. After almost three weeks of daily use, I have not even reached one quarter of the bottle. I would guess for the average user, one bottle would last about three months.

Not only am I recommending this to you, I called my sister and recommended it to her. I will definitely be buying this product again!
on December 3, 2012
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At 45, I have shoulder-length, straight, baby fine hair which I color to hide grays. It's prone to frizzing on the ends in humid weather, or if I don't style it, and despite how my skin's started to dry out at my age, my hair is still greasy enough that I have to wash it daily. In other words, there's nothing remarkable about my hair... so I put a premium on making sure it shines. For that reason, I tend to avoid most hair products: not only do they weigh my hair down (the last thing I need), but they also destroy the shine (the last thing I want) while delivering very, very few results.

Not so with this product. It is the single best stuff I've ever used on my hair, and that surprised the heck out of me! I found application a bit tricky at first (especially because the top spins as you're trying to squirt it), and I think the 15 recommended pumps are a bit much. I combed my hair after washing and conditioning, then put between 8 and 10 on, then massaged it into my scalp. It just made sense to me to comb it through after that, since that's what would happen as I styled it, anyway.

Here are my results from using it every morning after my shower so far:

Day 1: My hair has a texture I've never experienced before. I don't know that it *feels* thicker, but it certainly looks fuller and fluffier, PLUS it was still shiny.
Day 2: After styling, I didn't notice a huge difference from the previous day, but it was still fluffy and shiny. Nice.
Day 3: Late in the day, I decided to pull my hair into a ponytail. WHOA! Rather than wrapping the band around four times, I only needed three. Whee!
Days 5-8: No significant change, but still fluffy. Still shiny. I'm happy.
Day 9: I swear I see some new fuzz on my temples, areas that had been starting to get noticeably thin.
Day 10 (today): Ordinarily, I just style with a blow-dryer and a round natural bristle brush, but today I wanted to look extra nice since I was meeting a friend for brunch. Not only am I now noticing that, yes, my hair really does seem a bit thicker, but it's also holding a curl better than ever before. I don't know if that's due to the improved thickness, or if this stuff gives extra texture, too, but I am VERY happy with my hair today.

Now, since I got this stuff for free through Amazon's Vine program, I decided to hop on and check the price of it out before writing my review. Yikes, that was about ten bucks more than I expected per bottle. Then again, I've spent twice this much for a bottle of volumizing shampoo or conditioner, without this results. I've spent TWICE that buying 'root lifting spray' which didn't work so well and left my hair a sticky mess. So, yes, I'll be shelling out for this product as soon as I start running low.
VINE VOICEon January 16, 2013
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this product because I have always had baby fine hair--the kind where my hairdresser has actually said to me, "You grew up but your hair never did." As I hit my 30s and some thyroid and other hormonal issues hit, it started growing even thinner. Eventually it got so bad that if my hair wasn't styled right, you could see my scalp in the back of my head. Needless to say, that was rather devastating for me.

The one product that has helped is WEN® Lavender Cleansing Conditioner 16oz, but I still wasn't 100% happy with the end result. Well, I can honestly say, having used Pantene AgeDefy Advanced Thickening Treatment for over a month, that I feel like I really AM defying age. With the very first treatment I saw immediate and dramatic results. My hair didn't lie so flat against my head and my thin spot was much less noticeable.

The product packaging says that at Day 14 "Hair achieves maximum thickness," and to be fair I didn't notice much more thickening between Day 1 and Day 14. Nevertheless, I am thrilled enough with the initial results that I will not be without this product again. It is not cheap, but I believe it to be worth every penny it costs. And for me, it lasts a long time. I only need about eight pumps (as opposed to the manufacturer's recommended 15 pumps) so a bottle goes a long way.

A tip: Most hair care products that are applied to my scalp just plaster my hair to my head, and if I apply this product upright, I do find that to be a bit of the case. So here's how I use it: I dry my hair (which is long and straight) upside down, with a volume attachment on my hair dryer, until it is almost dry. Then, still bent with my head facing downward, I apply the thickening treatment to my scalp and finish drying that way. When I flip my hair over, Voila! instant volume.

I LOVE this product and can't imagine living without it now. I would give it 10 stars if I could. Thank you, Pantene!
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2012
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was looking forward to trying Pantene Advanced Hair Thickening Treatment because my hair is becoming finer as I get older. The description of the product sounded perfect.

The fragrance is too strong for me and lasts long enough to compete with the cologne I like to use.

It's a gel consistency. Directions say to use 15 pumps (on wet or dry hair) at the roots to cover the scalp from ear line up. I don't wash my hair every day so using this every day, as Pantene suggests, is not feasible. The first day, my hair felt softer but after that, dirty and limp.

If Pantene thinks it's just going to stay on the scalp and not get on hair, I don't think they're taking the average consumer into account.

It's also snowing in Upstate New York now and the snow that melts on my hair, along with the gel makes my hair look dirty and dull.

I liked the fact that it's gentle enough for colored hair. That was a plus for me. Red hair color fades the fastest - that's one reason I don't wash my hair every day.

I usually like Pantene products and I'm pretty sure this will work for others, it just doesn't work for me.
44 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have fine, blonde hair. Over the years I have learned what works and what doesn't. I keep it short and have a few "go to" products that give good results. However, I really like the way Pantene describes this product. Marketed to the over 40 set, the package warns that hair gets thinner over time. But using the Advanced Hair Thickening Treatment can help with this issue. Naturally, there is a picture of a woman in her twenties or so with thick, gorgeous hair to help get this message across. The product claims include; "hair achieves maximum thickness", "fullness that lasts" and my favorite,"6500 more hair strands". With claims like that I decided to give it a whirl!

The product is a clear liquid packaged in a see through bottle. The bottle is light weight, easy to handle and has a pump dispenser. It is nice to be able to see how much product you have left. Ingredients include; panthenol, vitaminB3 and caffeine.

Directions state you should pump 15x into the roots of your dry or wet hair and then massage in with fingertips. After following the directions on my wet hair, I blew my hair dry. The results - soft with good volume. There is no stiffness or tackiness to my hair. It looks healthy, shiny and has the body I like.

I have two other products that produce nice results like this and both are twice the size and about two thirds of the price. So this is more expensive. However, this product states that you need to use it for 14 days to achieve optimal results. So I will have to see how the results are over time.

On a side note, the product is gentle enough for color treated hair.

Nice product and definitely worth a try if you want healthy, luscious looking looks!
VINE VOICEon January 16, 2013
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Results and reviews for this product will likely vary depending on hair type and length. I have long hair, which generally makes my hair look normal in thickness when I wear it down, but it's not. My sides are more thin than the back and nape of neck area. I use this product primarily (following the directions) on my scalp on the sides (above ears), my bang area and along my defined part. These are the areas that I feel are the more thin and limp. The amount you need to use will depend on your hair. I probably use 4-5 pumps on each area - carefully parting, spraying, and rubbing into my scalp when hair is damp. I love this product because it is not thick, gel-like, sticky or irritating. I'm the kind of customer who can't stand using those type of products. Oh sure, I have a counter full of them because I try many with hopes of it working, but goo, sticky or waxy just doesn't work for me. Compared to other popular products, I do not think the scent is overwhelming or clashes with perfume or cologne. If you've used other Pantene products, you can expect basically the same type of scent. I am sensitive to many products and this does not irritate my scalp even during the dry, winter months.

I recommend putting on damp hair and then blow-drying for best and fullest results. I've put on damp hair and let air dry, but did not get the optimal result. At first, I wasn't sure if I was losing less hair, but then I did notice my brush truly did have less strands in it, less on my shoulders after blow drying and less on the bathroom carpet.

Will your hair feel and look super thick? Um...no, but it will look like you're having a good hair day and you will notice less shedding hairs with use of this product. Also, it did not make my particular hair, which is fine and dark look greasy at all. I think if this occurs, just cut back on the amount you're using. I will be buying and using this product in the future.
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2012
Size: 4.2 Ounce- 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although my hair is not "thin" it is "very fine and generally limp." I've used hair
thickening products many times in the past, but was always disappointed by the residue
that they left on my hair. This product is completely different. I was so surprised by
the results. It leaves my hair soft yet full. There is no residue whatsoever. This
treatment works especially well on towel-dried hair with an added styling product.
My hair has more volume and lift - it looks great. I would purchase this product again,
for sure. A+ to Pantene for this one!