Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Paper Mate X-Tend 0.7mm Mechanical Pencils, 4 Assorted Pencils(46212PP)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 3, 2010
I heart these pencils! They have ruined me for all other pencils both mechanical and non. It has become obvious to me that all other pencil companies have been resting on their laurels and churning out inferior product after inferior product. Only Paper Mate dared to dream.

These pencils have achieved perfection in all areas.

LEAD- 0.7mm in size, the best size for pencil lead. Oh yeah! Not too thick, not too thin. It's graded at HB #2, which is the standard, and right where you want to be. You're not setting yourself up for disaster when you go to take a scantron test.

ERASER- Awesome eraser! Easily the best eraser on a pencil I have ever experienced. You can't have a good pencil without a quality eraser. To the pencils out there without these erasers: I hate you.

GRIP- Super soft grip at the perfect width. Yes! Once you experience this, you will realize how poorly constructed other pencils are. One day you will pick up a regular pencil to jot down a phone number or something, and you will be overwhelmed by its inadequacy. It will feel like being right-handed and trying to cut paper with left-handed scissors, and you will fling the pencil across the room in disgust.

OTHER DESIGN WINS- Easily refillable. Retractable. Pretty colors and design.

To the reviewer who gave these pencils a 4 star rating because he didn't get to pick his colors: You are a shallow, spoiled philistine with no ability to discern quality. Your sense of values is horribly twisted. It doesn't matter what colors you get; all of these pencils are beautiful! And they don't even have to be. Paper Mate could cover these pencils in swear words and offensive images and they would still be better than the other crap out there. If God used pencils, he would use these.
1515 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
I love these pencils and the colors they come in. Each package has four different colors, green, purple, blue, and one of these colors is duplicated. They are long lasting and somehow make my printing or writing a bit nicer. Easy to refill with lead and erasers that you can find at your local office supply shop. I started purchasing these pencils at Amazon because I could no longer find in our local office supply store. I would buy these in a large quantity if I knew they were no longer going to be available. Terrific mechanical pencil.
on October 7, 2009
This the most comfortable and reliable mechanical pencil I have ever used. Its light weight, barrel width, balance, and soft grip allow me to hold it steady for long periods of time. The X-Tend pencils I bought a couple of years ago are still working perfectly. Other pencils I have tried are too heavy, too thin, or break after a few clicks. The price point is low enough that I don't have to worry about leaving one behind after a meeting. I hope Paper Mate will continue to offer this product.
on November 25, 2014
Oh yes. These pencils are the greatest pencils of all time. I believe that the poster who is going on and on about the amazingness of these pencils is probably my soulmate. I am in love with these pencils. When I try to explain how awesome they are, I find myself at a loss and just have others use them. Once they do, they understand. These pencils are awesome. Period. Everything about them is awesome, except for how hard they are to find. I am afraid they've been discontinued. Paper-Mate, what are you thinking??? These babies are life-changing!
on December 21, 2011
When this pencil first arrived, I was very pleased. It felt good to hold: was the right weight, size, the easy to hold grip was perfect both in diameter and feel, and the eraser was relatively large for a mechanical pencil.

I was so pleased, I ordered an additional two dozen. Unfortunately, after about 6 weeks of use the lead started to slip back into the barrel, not all the time but frequently enough to be annoying. This didn't happen with just one pencil, but with all the ones I've used so far.

If I had only purchased one pencil, in light of the other reviews, I would have thought I just got that rare defective one, but having purchased a number I can only assume either quality control has changed since the earlier reviews, or the earlier reviewers are lighter users than I, or as we all have slightly different anatomical dimensions my use is slightly different than others.

The design flaw is not so bad that I'll be giving up these pencils. However, it's an unnecessary nuisance, and with better design need not have happened, as it does not occur with the other mechanical pencils I own. However, this pencil still has the best "feel" and eraser of any of my mechanical pencils. With the appropriate improvement to its lead holding ability this pencil would get top marks but not, unfortunately, as it's works for me.
on December 27, 2012
I bought these for school for our children. They like the way they feel and the writing capabilities of the pencils but the eraser quality and size is not as good as the Paper Mate Logo Mechanical Barrel pencils we bought at the same time. The Logo's are the favorites, hands-down, around here.
on April 21, 2013
This is an excellent mechanical pencil. It makes a lot of sense for sixth graders to have mechanical pencils (labeled with their names) so they don't have to spend ten years at the pencil sharpener every five seconds.
on February 22, 2012
I purchased these for my daughter. She typically writes 50-100 pages of notes per course per semester. She needed a mechanical pencil that felt comfortable in her hand and minimized the fatigue of writing for long periods of time. These mechanical pencils fulfilled those needs. I highly recommend this product.
on April 21, 2013
I looked all over for these pencils and the picture lked exactly like the pencils I had been looking fr. When I received them they were not the same as in the picture. The lead slips into the pencil often.
on October 15, 2011
These are very comfortable to write with if you like a thicker barrel on your mechanical pencils. We bought our first pack 3 months ago, and they are all holding up well. My only complaint is that you don't know what they will look like. My first batch looked like the picture, except it was an assortment of colors. I ordered more because I liked them so much, and the next batch had a different look and texture. But they still are good to work with.

See 1 answered question