Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on October 22, 2011
Paper Mate Flair Medium Tip Felt Porous Pens, 12 Black Pens (2901152)

Not the pen pictured on the box, and inferior to those sold in the past as "Paper Mate Flair . . ."

The only thing that is the same is the top cover (black, with white plus sign on top). The rest of the pen is of a flimsier plastic and the ink is not as thick as the prior pens (producing a tinier script). I only ordered one box, and I had to throw away two of the pens because the tips had disintegrated before I had written a single word. My impression is that the others are not going to last very long, either.

Follow-up: I wound up throwing most of the pens away in a few days (two tips disintegrated at first touch, the ink on two or three dried up within an hour, another dried up the next day because I failed to put the cap back on, and perhaps only one or two lasted more than a few days.

If you are looking for the old Paper Mate Flair Tip Felt pens (a favorite of mine for many years), don't bother with this one.

I went to Staples to buy them. They are much more expensive, but they work. A blister of 4 is about $7. There was a space for a box of a dozen for about $15, but it was out of stock and no longer listed in the Staples catalog. I then found a box of a dozen on the Staples web page for $18/dozen, and bought 3 boxes. They are the real thing and work.

However, I now see that there is an alternative listing for these pens on the Amazon page, PAP8430152, at a price of $13.11 per dozen, obviously the best bargain IF they are the real Flair pen. Am afraid to try. If you do decide to buy from Amazon, try this alternate listing, not the one on this page. Would like to hear from other users as to their experience with this other pen.
44 comments20 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2012
These pens have been redesigned to be lighter and less substantial than the older model. They are not as good and they are not as pictured. The picture looks like the old model. These pens have a white bottom half. If you have an excellent product like the papermate flair that has been around forever why would you change it? Dumb idea. If nothing else is available, then these pens are adequate.

Update:
After we really ran out of the older model and started using these, we realized just how bad they are. They are a very cheap substitute for the original papermate flair. In fact, I'm wondering if what was sent to us was actually a counterfeit? Don't get me wrong, it is a pen that writes, but it is not what I've always expected from PaperMate, I name that I grew up with. These feel like a cheap off brand that you get at Walmart. My advice is to go to a store and buy your pens so that you know what you are getting.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
The box says Felt tips - but these are not.
The felt porous pens are a staple in my studio.
The box cover shows those pens - but what's within is different.
SO DISAPPOINTING.
on July 4, 2011
It is not easy to locate Paper Mate Flair Pens, particularly in black. If you are able to locate these, you will in all likelihood, only find these in blister cards of one pen. At one time (back in the 70's and 80's), Paper Mate Flair pens were ubiquitous in retail stores. Today, you have to purchase these in bulk from office supply stores if they are stocked. Paper Mate Flairs are still available at Staples in a blister card of 12 assorted color pens; however, the price is not competitive with online merchants. I continue to still find the best price on Amazon.

These are the best felt-tip pens available on the market because the ink is bold, with crisp lines, and the felt tips appear to outlast other generic brands available in the office products arena. While other brands are manufactured in China, Paper Mate Flairs are manufactured in Mexico with good quality control and last twice as long. These will last for years if you purchase them by the dozen and leave them in the box until needed. Another suggestion: Avoid applying too much pressure on the felt tips when writing and they should last even longer.
on January 29, 2013
Despite other reviews saying the pen wasn't the same I got these anyway with the confidence that Amazon has never failed me before...unfortunately, the pens pictured are NOT the pens that were shipped to me, and are therefore, not the pens I wanted. Big disappointment - on both Amazon's part for not having the proper photo posted and on Paper Mate's part if they changed the design of their classic pen.
on September 6, 2012
This isn't the papermate flair pen I am accustomed to using. The pen shaft exterior is only partially black, the rest is white. And, the pen made odd splatter marks after I tested one. Very weird. I returned them.
on May 15, 2012
The review by M. Cowan is correct - these are inferior to the normal Flair pens and are not the same. The pens also don't match the picture on the box (which is the correct version).
on December 12, 2011
The new model of Flair pens is not as good as the old ones. The points don't hold up as well and tend to "feather." They are acceptable, but not great.
on March 4, 2014
I thought I was ordering the pen picture on the box...instead I got a different type of marker. It has a blue cap and a white body, and the flair point, while medium, is far different than the typical point you would get on the all blue marker, if you remember what you were ordering. It writes fine, but not as well as the Paper Mate Flair medium points that are all one color.
on January 10, 2012
I've used the original flair pens for years in my classroom. These are NOT the same! The quality is terrible. Most had to be thrown away after a day or two as the ink dried up almost immediately. Totally disappointed with this product. Do not buy!