Why do I love these pens?

It's a mix of things, but mostly:

--I have fond memories of teachers using them in class.
--This is the one pen I'm tempted to swipe when I come across one.
--I typically like anyone who brandishes one of these.
--They make my handwriting neater, or I make it neater to impress this pen.
--The tips last...
Published on April 30, 2012 by Sara

1.0 out of 5 stars Another product ruined by cost reduction
Here's another formerly excellent product/brand that has been ruined by cost (quality) reduction. It's now flimsy, has almost no heft at all, and with the cheap plastic shell there's zero chance I'm putting it in my pocket.

Doesn't ANYONE make a decent felt-tip anymore?! So disappointing.

By the way, I ordered this particular SKU on Amazon because it...
Published 23 months ago by Tim Charles

5.0 out of 5 stars The best classic pen. Pile them in a pretty silver cup, you won't be sorry., April 30, 2012
Why do I love these pens?

It's a mix of things, but mostly:

--I have fond memories of teachers using them in class.
--This is the one pen I'm tempted to swipe when I come across one.
--I typically like anyone who brandishes one of these.
--They make my handwriting neater, or I make it neater to impress this pen.
--The tips last longer than they did when I was a kid.
--My children like drawing with them, and they seem to take their time and draw neater w/ these pens (or again, for the sake of impressing these pens)
--I like them in Red or Blue, too, but black is my favorite.

When I let someone use one, I can tell they are instantly impressed, and probably consider asking if they can keep it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Can underline when laying on couch, May 28, 2012
J. Alan Bock "waltz lover" (Pittsford, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I like to lie on the couch and underline passages from books. Later, I may go back to these books and , on the basis of the underlined passages, may or may not write a review of the book.

Frequently I find that I am unable to do the underlining in this manner. The pen just stops working even though it is not out of ink. I think that it has something to do with the horizontal/vertical angle at which the pen is held. Many pens require you to sit at a desk and won't let you underline (for any length of time) if you're laying down. I find this very frustrating and, when it happens, I have a strong urge to throw the pen against the wall. In fact, on many occasions I have done so.. This, of course, accomplishes nothing (except possibly get a little ink on the walls.)

Recently, I discovered that Paper Mate Flair pens have the capacity to underline even when you're in a prostrate position. Therefor, I highly recommend these pens. On the side of the box in which these pens are packed there is the claim:
1. Quick drying water based ink resists smearing. Won't bleed through paper.
2. Felt tip provides bold and expressive lines.
They could also add:
3. Capable of underlining while laying on couch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another product ruined by cost reduction, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Paper Mate Flair Point-Guard Porous Point Pens, 12 Blue Pens (8410152) (Office Product)

Doesn't ANYONE make a decent felt-tip anymore?! So disappointing.

By the way, I ordered this particular SKU on Amazon because it looked like there was a chance that maybe -- just maybe -- it was a holdover of the Flair that was made before the 2011-ish quality reduction. No dice, this is the piece of junk that has rotten reviews everywhere else.

Once again, a CPG firm ruins a classic brand... sigh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flair Paper Mate Blue Pens, September 26, 2010
hard to find. Work well. A little expensive. Could last longer with their ink supply. Do not smear on regular paper and do not bleed through.

5.0 out of 5 stars The World's Greatest Pen, March 31, 2009
This is actually a mini-magic marker, but it's fine enough to sign letters, mark-up documents, etc. I remember these in elementary school in the 1970s and they were quite common back then. I just had my office services department order me a couple of boxes. These pens rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't skip, April 7, 2012
Maybe it's because I'm a lefty. Maybe it's because ballpoints just suck. But on those rare occasions when I use one, I know a ballpoint will either skip or it will have dried out and require scribbling, probably on the palm of my hand, to get it to work again.

I've been using Flair pens for thirty years and have never had such a problem - never skips, and if it goes dry, it's dead. Also, the points, being soft, are a bit more expressive than a ballpoint. Nice deep ink color too, compared to that awful blue or black that ballpoints apply.

Highly recommended for a cheap pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, November 23, 2010
When everywhere else sells these pens for maybe 20 some odd dollars a box, getting them for ~$10 was a steal. They write amazingly well and look fantastic. The only gripe I would have is that one pen out of the pack of 12 came exploded and leaking, but aside from that, it was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for everyday use!, November 30, 2010
These are truly awesome pens! I have had them for a few months and have only gone through 2 of them. I use them almost daily for grading and they have lasted forever. They do not bleed through paper at all and the color stays true and crisp for the life of the pen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, January 21, 2010
Was amazed I could get these at such a great price. Easy to write with when you have any kind of carpel problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy of a hard-to-find product, January 5, 2012
Paper Mate Flairs have been my favorite (my ONLY!) handwriting implement for decades and they get more and more difficult to find especially in the boxes of 12. Occasionally I find packs of 1 or 2 in Staples.....but that's not often.

Delighted to have found this source and the cost is really excellent in the long term.
I have these Flairs all over the house, my work office, car, etc and I'm delighted to see I can later order more in a variety of colors (though I do prefer the blue I ordered).

Arrived in good time as well.....