5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as Silk or Mashed Potatoes
Published on December 23, 2011 by Spudman

2.0 out of 5 stars These aren't amazing.
I love pens. I like to find the perfect pen. I once did, but they were only available through a pen printing company and wholesale, but I had to buy a minimum of 400. Luckily I work for a company that uses them for promotional items, because I bought 400 pens just because I liked how it wrote.

So now you know I'm serious.

When I saw the commercial...
Published 9 months ago by Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as Silk or Mashed Potatoes, December 23, 2011
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Paper Mate InkJoy 300 RT Retractable Medium Point Ballpoint Pens, Assorted Colors, 8 Pack (1781564) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Being one of those weird stationery junkies who hyperventilates in Office Depot or Staples, I was happy to try the Paper Mate InkJoy pens. To get more than one point of view, I asked Mrs. Spudman and two of my coworkers to give the pens a test ride also. We all like the pens though my impression is a bit more exhuberant. Each pen comes with a protective wad of wax on each point that needs to be immediately flicked off and discarded. The InkJoy literally glides across the paper, almost moving itself and taking the hand along for the ride. The color of the ink is readily evident by the color of the pen's barrel and finger grip, a grip that is cushiony comfortable and lightly perforated to keep one's fingers from slipping.

The medium point works well for most applications. Someone doing record keeping on a ledger with small areas may prefer a fine point writing instrument. The most readable of the colors are black, blue, and purple. The orange, green, and raspberry are vibrant,but not as vibrant as the pens' exterior colors might suggest.

These are clicker pens for those who prefer a click advance over the pens with a removable lid that can get lost or misplaced. The pocket clips on these pens seem fairly sturdy; I consciously play with pen clips and haven't broken one yet off of any of the InkJoy pens.

One caveat - We noticed at work that the lighter colors can be problematic to copy on a copy machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars These aren't amazing., September 26, 2013
Scott (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews

So now you know I'm serious.

When I saw the commercial for InkJoy Pens, with the colorful pens gliding all over the place, it was beautiful. It was like pen heaven. I had to have these pens. Perfect writing, they said. Smooth, flowing ink without a hitch. So I bought them. They were an add on item for Amazon Prime, so I had to wait to buy something else just to get them. I waited two long days.

I got the pens. Look how pretty in their package. All colorful! And the grips... they looked comfy!

I turned the package over and it mentioned how you had to remove the ball of wax from the tip. Often this shows quality. Much like the pens I ordered 400 of.

So I clicked the retractable pen, flicked the wax off, and began to write. Wait. These are just like BiC pens. It's not like cutting a hot knife through chilled butter... It was just... scratchy. And the ink skipped. And it had track marks through the lines. So I decided to try another one. Ah yes, aquamarine... surely you won't be a let down. Same. Magenta; Same. Orange; Same. Green.... WORSE! And so I decided maybe I need to actually write-write with them, you know instead of making scribbly circles and half writing your name. So I turned the paper, decided to write my to do list for work. I'll put the date in magenta. Ah, that's not so bad. The title of my to do list, in purple. Ok, that wasn't too bad. It skipped a little, that's ok, I see multiple colors on my paper and I got excited about it! First item, aquamarine. Kinda scratchy. Why pens, why?

Then I decided to write my sub-bulleted list under that item in green. And as I got on the third word, the pen stopped. It just stopped with ink... So I did that scribble thing on the side of the notebook as one does to get it going. No ink. Gave it a lick. No ink. Then scribbled really hard to the point where it went through a few pages.

I took a moment and realized, there is no InkJoy here. Corporate marketing got me once again.

Two stars for the pretty colors. But seriously, don't buy these pens. Paper Mate, you should be ashamed of yourself for allowing such a product for leaving your factory doors. You indeed are part of the Pen Fifteen club.

5.0 out of 5 stars These pens make me excited., October 12, 2011
The black, blue, red, and green are all what you'd expect from any pen (although the red seems particularly vibrant to me). The other colors are all dark enough to be read, even the orange, so I can use every single pen in this pack for my notes. Each pen comes with a wax coat over the ball point so that the ink won't dry out before you receive them. All the pens worked right away without having to scribble all over a piece of paper, so I'm quite satisfied. I'm looking forward to making my class notes colorful and interesting.

Update: Two years later, these pens are still working. However, if you try to write more than a sentence at one time, they go dry. If you wait a few seconds they'll start writing again, though. Good for underlining and circling notes, but no good for actually taking them. For this reason, I tossed out the black pen but still use the colored ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pens, January 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have always loved using colored ink. So, I was excited to try these out. The pens I received look exactly like the picture Amazon has posted. The pens are a nice range of colors and work beautifully for crafts and writing in journals.

These Paper mate pens are cheaply priced, so I was afraid that they would not write smoothly. I had nothing to worry about. After removing the wax protective covering, the pen worked right away. Not only did it write smoothly, but I noticed that the ink comes out in the perfect amount. Some colored pens have too much ink to come out and they result in ugly smears. You do not have to worry about that with these pens. After a few seconds the ink is dry and will not smear.

The pens themselves are click pens and are comfortable with a soft grip. I have been using most of the colors for about 3 weeks now and I have not encountered any problems. I would definitely recommend them and you can't beat the current price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't like these pens at all...., January 6, 2013
Linda (Lewiston, NY) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like these pens as I love all the colors. BUT...They blob and leak. Pretty useless. Very cheap pens....and Oh, I called Paper Mate's customer service to tell them and they didn't seem to care at all. Waste of money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Use these pens sparingly, April 28, 2013
I bought into the hype and bought these pens. I seen the commercials and was intrigued by them being the "smoothest pens". Well they are quite smooth to write with (I've written with smoother pens, however), they run out of ink quickly! If you write a lot, don't buy these. You will have to keep repurchasing.

After the ink starts to get low, the ink starts to fade when you are writing. They turn from writing in a constantly smooth black line (or whatever color you are using) to a line that stutters. It's like writing something in Morse Code or something. Very inconsistent. You probably get a page of written material before this starts happening.

I bought this pack and after my black pen ran out, bought the black ink only pack (I don't know why I bought them again). After just a few uses, they started going out too. Now, I only use them if I'm only going to write a little bit of information - like headings and subheadings for notes. As for the notes themselves, I use something else. These pens cannot hold up to writing a lot of information. They are just too expensive to constantly buy them.

My pens aren't blotchy - though I almost wish they were because of the lack of ink after one use.

Stay far away from them, unless you go to Costco or Sam's Club and buy them in bulk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, Terrible, Terrible, September 24, 2013
A friend gave me a set of these to celebrate the beginning of the new school year - I'm a high school teacher with much grading to do, so I love good pens in amusing colors. She thought that they were the pens I normally use, but I usually use the Sarasa Gel Pens, which are fantastic, by the way. ** Sarasa Retractable Gel Pen, Assorted Ink, Medium, 10 per Set **

These pens write well enough, and the colors are good, but that's where the good stuff ends! I had several of them in my pencil pouch, and when I unzipped the pouch one afternoon, every single one of the pens had fallen apart. My other pens were just fine. I put them back together, although I had to throw two away because the springs had disappeared. They fall apart readily, but what is especially entertaining is how they blow apart *while* one is writing with them! One second, you have a pen in your hand and you are signing one of the many documents that cross your desk in a day, and then next second, it is flying out of every corner of your hand. Awesome. Just what a busy teacher needs.

I should buy stock in Sarasa.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings., December 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first received these pens, I thought they looked kind of cheap, but I was pleasantly surprised when I used them. I really like the color vibrancy of each pen; you can actually use all of them without worrying about the ink not showing up. At first, it seemed the quality was better than I had anticipated. Unfortunately, after one day of sitting upright in my pen holder (a glass jar), the pens started leaking. Not horribly, but enough for me to worry about how bad it could get. I haven't decided yet if I am going to chuck them, but I definitely would not make this purchase again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice - A Bit Small, February 10, 2013
Length:: 0:39 Mins

I love using colored pens and so does my son. I anticipate losing half of these to him. This video review is for the retractable 300 RT medium point pens. I found the barrel to feel on the small, short, or thin side. Not sure what it is but I needed to get used to the size. My hands are stubby and short since I am stubby and short.

The ink is similar to a gel pen - at least that's my opinion. It's more liquidy than a regular ink, roller ball pen. That is why my son will like them. He usually goes for the gel pens.

As you can see in my video, the colors are nice. I'm glad I got this set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fussy click mechanism, good for leftys, December 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As others have said, the pens are slightly different from the photo. I think the colored barrels are more attractive, so that is not a negative. The ink dries fast enough that the pens don't leave marks all over the side of my hand. (If you're left handed ink tends to accumulate on your hand as you move across the page) Colors are bright, the nib is smooth and gives an effortless writing experience. My issue with them is that some of there's have very fussy click mechanisms. They would get stuck in the retracted and require some knocking about to glide smoothly again. Not a huge issue, but one that might make me think twice before stocking up. Great multi pack for a tween or teen to doodle with.

Rate and Discover Movies