5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and Full of Amusingly Delightful Thrills
Published 20 months ago by Rosie

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredible...
Published 16 months ago by Steve in Scottsdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and Full of Amusingly Delightful Thrills, November 16, 2012
This review is from: The Paper Doll Museum (Taylor Blake Magical Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I watch for books by Abigail Padgett, so I rushed to download The Paper Doll Museum, her newest. It is a substantial book, providing hours of intriguing chills, plot twists and more than a few laughs. Padgett is one of a few writers who are currently supplying literary-quality popular fiction for the mature reader. This book is truly an adventure into a mystery of mythic proportions, full of strange event and delightful, quirky characters. The action centers around Taylor Blake, a high school English teacher who's seeing things that might actually be real.

The plot advances with the roller-coaster pace we expect from this author, moving the reader effortlessly to experience a vivid sense of reality as well as a scarier, fascinating world hidden at its borders. The characters are engaging and entertaining, real people, not the stereotypes one often encounters in "paranormal" stories. The melding of two genres - mystery and speculative fiction - in this 400+ page book may be the start of a whole new literary type. I hope it is. Taylor Blake is someone I would like to get to know better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paper Dolls and Merlin, January 16, 2013
The author has asked for comments about "The Paper Doll Museum" which is a newly written novel. I absolutely cannot put this book down. It's one of those books that, if you're lucky enough to have a best friend, you MUST have your friend read the book too. I'd write directly to Ms. Padgett, but I haven't found out exactly how to do this yet. I've learned so much about so many things while enjoying the humor and fascinating story. I don't know the author...but I'd like to...she'd be one of those people you'd want as a friend. Now, I have to get back to the last chapters, even though I don't want this book to end. I will look for her books for my next good read. Thank you to Amazon for offering this author's novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, December 18, 2012
Don't let the fact that The Paper Doll Museum is a serious, deep novel stop you from reading it. Because it's sometimes very funny. Because you will wish some of the characters lived next door to you, while you'll wish others in Hell. Because the story sweeps you along.

By grounding us in real-world details, Padgett makes her wonderfully wild descriptions of the fantastic believable. Example: In the first chapter, we learn that Taylor, our heroine who has seen a cat run under a tablecloth in a painting and a wall paper monster that "isn't there," keeps a stash of bite-size Butterfingers in her car. So when Taylor takes us along with her into the world of live paper dolls, terrifying ghouls, and magical houses, and shows us how freaky the real world is, how thin its surface normalcy, we believe her. She is someone we have come to know and trust.

Reading this book made me want to be a Revenant, but sadly I am able only to imagine being one.

P.S. As a lover of Padgett's Bo Bradley mysteries, I am happy to see her launching into a new kind of mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars More, please!, February 7, 2013
Atheen (Snowflake, Arizona) - See all my reviews
My sister made me read this book. I resisted for days because I had given up on novels. Now I feel that I must admit that I'm sorry that I have read and finished this book so soon. I may just read it again --- yes, it's THAT good!

Ms. Padgett is filling what I think is an almost untouched demographic niche and does it with real humor, mystery and wonder. I loved the whole experience and look forward to either a sequel or perhaps a movie. Actually, reading this book felt like watching an intelligent and witty movie. When was the last time you could say that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Padgett never fails to please: prepare to lose sleep from reading all night, January 18, 2013
This review is from: The Paper Doll Museum (Paperback)
I can't remember who recommended her Bo Bradley series, but I glommed them all, reading in internal order. Heroine's bipolar, at a different level than I am, and it's set in San Diego, where I spent a fair amount of my childhood. One scene was actually set around the corner from where we lived.

So I see this title offered, and wondered how it would read, ordered it, and began to read it as soon as it arrived. Uh oh. Read long into the night, before an early morning appointment. I don't regret it.

Again set in San Diego primarily, there are about a dozen main/secondary characters. I am unused to secondary characters being so well-fleshed out: nearly three-dimensional, which is usually reserved for main characters. Most of the characters are about my age, another plus.

The Revenants see things others don't, their own ghouls, which come from childhood fears, is one example. I began to notice characters who, when they're old enough, could become Revenants themselves.

I did learn two things from this book, indicating a fair amount of research. One, L. Frank Baum's Oz might have been modeled on the Hotel Del Coronado, one of the last of the great seaside resorts built around the end of Victoria's reign. Baum was certainly there often enough, and it might have provided inspiration for the castle. Two, that the long-beaked mask appearing on the cover, is a replica of what doctors, caring for victims of the Plague, wore. I'm sort of familiar with them on characters in Renaissance Italian stage plays.

I had a blast on the journey Padgett takes you, and I want the next book in the series NOW. There are a few story arcs developing--not just a sequel indicator.

I know I'm not telling much of the story--I'm giving you more of an idea as to how the book hit me. Well, I sure am smitten.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredible..., March 9, 2013
Incredibly slow, incredibly dull, incredibly difficult to get into. I know that this is wildly contrary to all of the other reviews for this book, but I can't help it. It seemed like I just kept reading and reading without any reason to continue. It felt like I was just reading words to get to the end of the page. The only thing I can think of is that either I am woefully out of step with regard to the other reviewers and totally missed the wonderfulness of it all (which is always possible!) or the other readers who felt like I do either just gave up on the book or so wanted it out of their memories that they didn't want to spend any more time thinking about it and write a review. If you decide to try it, I really hope you like it and that I was wrong. But if you don't, at least I tried to warn you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, December 1, 2012
I stumbled across this book by accident and I am so glad that I did. What a neat story, in reading it you find yourself being taken on a trip away from the dreary world of reality we are forced to live in with our everyday lives. The world of fiction that we used to find in books when we were just kids always was a fun escape. This book allows us to do that as adults. I highly recommend it for anyone who would like to take one of those trips. Thank you Ms Padgett for giving me that opportunity to escape for a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy for Grownups, November 21, 2012
luvs2read "L2R" (Encinitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Having enjoyed some of this author's other books, I was eager to see what a paranormal novel by her would be like. I loved it! Finally a fantasy with a protagonist my age! Taylor Blake is a wonderful feisty heroine. I love the idea of the Revenants, older people who have regained their childhood perception of the magical--both the wonders and the terrors. Taylor finds that her childhood beliefs have become real, some of them delightful, like the department store mannequins that come to life and help her pick out clothes. But also the darker ones, like the ghoul that preys upon her self-doubts and threatens to destroy her. I hope The Paper Doll Museum is the first of a series, because I would love to see more of the Revenants.

5.0 out of 5 stars at last, a great adventure for adults, November 9, 2013
Absolutely loved this book, its premise and the writer's style. I am anxious to see where the next book in the series takes me.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!, November 1, 2013
I finished this book just as Halloween night was becoming All Saints Day. I had to get up and close down the house and was a bit hesitant, not sure if there was a fear lurking around the corner. I had a good think about how my fear might manifest itself and what might be still hiding from my childhood.
Unlike some others, I did put the book down, a lot. But I kept picking it back up and couldn't be distracted from its pull. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Rate and Discover Movies