5.0 out of 5 stars The Compulsive Reader's Reviews
Published on October 2, 2008 by The Compulsive Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars not my favorite
This is a hard review to write because I am such a fan of John Green. I loved Looking for Alaska and Abundance of Katherines is one of my favorite all time books--so of course I was excited to be able to review this book.

Published on November 15, 2008 by Cathe Fein Olson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Compulsive Reader's Reviews, October 2, 2008
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
To everyone who surrounds Margo Roth Spiegelman, she is an adventurous, unconventional, and intelligent person and a highly admired someone that everyone puts on a pedestal. So when Margo sneaks into Quentin Jacobsen's room one glorious night and involves him in her crazy exploits, he can't help but feel as if a new page has been turned, and just maybe he can be a part of the marvelous Margo's life.

But the next morning all of Quentin's hopes are dashed with Margo's disappearance. Her parents and the police think this is just another one of her stunts, but Q's not so sure. Because Margo has left him a string of clues, one right after another, which just might lead him to her. But the thing is, he's not sure what he'll find.

John Green brings readers another surprising, witty, and fully honest book in Paper Towns. His writing is captivating from the very beginning as multitudes of details, no mater how large of small, flow seamlessly together. Green has a knack for highlighting the little distinguishing factors that make us human, making for more believable characters and completely enthralling book.

The mystery in Paper Towns is clever, and will leave readers scratching their heads as Q and his friends struggle to piece together the clues with some frustration and tons of humor. But the teens are just as quick to get serious as they contemplate what has actually happened to Margo and as Quentin especially comes to see her in a completely different light with a little help from the poetry of Walt Whitman.

Though Paper Towns did slow down a little bit in the middle of the book as Quentin hits a brick wall in his search, this novel is suspenseful, hilarious, and quirky, and especially appealing to the well read teen. The characters are as real as your own friends, and teens can't help but see pieces of their own lives in this amazingly candid book. Read at your own risk though--Green's works are completely addictive, and once you start, it's impossible to stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best YA Novel I've Read This Year, November 19, 2008
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Paper Towns" was written by a smart, smart man. I've heard about John Green before, but this is the first time I've read one of his novels, and I can hardly articulate how impressed I am. He writes flawed, nuanced characters that spout off highly quotable dialogue. In short, this is a book you quite simply need to buy. To elaborate a bit...

The book is divided into three sections. In the first, Margo Roth Spiegelman takes Quentin, our protagonist (who, sidebar, is in love with her) on a crazy, 'spontaneous' journey that changes his life forever. In the second part, Quentin tries to make sense of the events that follow that glorious night. In the third and final part, he goes on a road trip with his friends in order to meet up with Margo. All of this seems rather simple, but it's packed so tight with bittersweet poignancy, insight, and intelligence that you can hardly believe the book is only three-hundred pages long. And really, when a book can incorporate Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" as well as this one did, and offer more insight into Whitman's words than any literary criticism possibly could... what more could you ask for?

The book is just overflowing with ideas, literary references, deep understanding of the way senior year in high school feels, and--most importantly--insight into the way people perceive things. What I love most about Green's writing is that he never has the characters settle on these big, life-changing revelations. When Quentin discovers something vital about understanding life, his finds are often refuted by a new realization, that is later refuted itself. It's a very "in the moment" novel, written about a boy in love with a very "in the moment" girl. I love how there are so many ideas at work here that you never feel talked down to, because Green isn't really giving his readers a message. He's just encouraging them to ponder things in order to, hopefully, connect with one of these ideas. Because, in the end, this intricate and insanely well-written book is just about someone connecting with something else.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read for the OAs as well as the YAs..., October 19, 2009
This review is from: Paper Towns (Paperback)
I know this is a YA book, but as a reader who is twice as old as Quentin (okay I lie- I'm about six years older even than that!), I thought it was one of my best reads in a long while. Having been a band nerd and heavily involved in speech and drama, I most definitely had close friends who were Quentins, Bens, or Radars, and I can think of more than one Margo in my high school (and each of them was about ten tiers higher in the caste system than I, so I cannot say we were close friends).

This past week I went to a conference in Phoenix and got stuck in the Albuquerque airport for a couple of hours on my way there. I saw Paper Towns most unattainably sitting on the top shelf out of arms reach in the airport bookstore. Thankfully a kind, tall stranger retrieved it for me, and I am so glad he did, because getting to know Quentin a little better at the end of each conference day was more fun than the alternative activity- which would have been getting buzzed in the fancy hotel bar paying $10 per drink.

On my return flight I was sitting next to a guy who made this repulsive sound every two to three minutes that made me think he was trying to suck his sinuses down his throat (I can only assure you that reading about this sound is much less nauseating than listening to it). When I had about twenty pages left, I decided the finale was too special to read in an environment of a full flight on a Sunday evening sitting next to Phlegm-Man, so I saved it until I got home. No spoilers, but I like how John Green wrapped it up; although I was swimming in metaphors (mainly about grass and cracks-- not what you're thinking).

I hope that when they make this into a movie that they don't add extra scenes about Margo that aren't in the book to make the movie more about her than the book is (and this book really needs to be made into a movie). In my life the Quentins, Bens, Radars, and Laceys are more important to me than the Margos; although I understand why Quentin cared about her. I still care about the Margos, but despite what Whitman says, I can't feel like I am a part of the same root system with them. That window/mirror statement says more about me than them (just read the book, and this won't sound so schizo). Yet at the same time, even though I believe in a life rightly lived and even though I believe the future deserves our faith, there are glimpses through cracks into Margo that make me identify with her.

This book was good enough that I am still "thinking in John Green". A little John Green narrator is sitting on my shoulder saying thinks like "asshat". The book was good enough that even though I have a big presentation at work on Friday, and even though my annual credentialing packet that was due last week sits unfinished on my desk, and even though I should be reviewing all the stuff I learned at my conference, I am writing a book review on Amazon (and I haven't done a review in five years). I am the mom to three elementary school boys, and I am doing what I can to prevent them from becoming a Chuck Parson- which would be highly unlikely. The nerd gene that they got from their mom is quite dominant (and as much as I have tried in my life to reverse that part of my genetics- there is no gene therapy for nerdfightosis). I'm pretty sure they're nerds (albeit of the "cool" variety)... and that makes me smile.

3.0 out of 5 stars not my favorite, November 15, 2008
Cathe Fein Olson (curled up with a book) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I'm sorry to say, I just never got hooked into this story. Most of all because I never could get into the main character--I just didn't feel a strong voice from him, he had no unique personality, and I never felt a reason to care about him. The other problem was his mission--he suddenly turns his whole life upside down to chase after a girl he has barely spoken to in almost 10 years. I just didn't get it. I also didn't get what was so great about her that he would need to chase her--I never felt the bond that he supposedly had for her.

As for the other characters in the book, the only one I really liked--the only one that felt real--was Radar. He was interesting and well drawn. The rest were just stereotypes or unreal. Ben, his other best friend, was completely ridiculous with his honeybunnies and ginormous balls. Give me a break. Why mega-popular Lacey would even fall for him was completely unbelievable. Q's parents were also one-dimensional. Every scene with the parents was just something like 'we love you' or 'we think you're great'. I never saw him do anything great--do they never not get along?

I hate to be so negative because Green is such a wonderful writer. There were many great lines in this book like when they blast their car stereo and open the windows so everyone will know what great taste in music they have--that is so perfectly teen. I also loved learning about "paper towns" a term I've never heard of.

Anyway, judging by the other reviews I am obviously in the minority in my opinion but there it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A paper town for a paper girl., June 19, 2009
Krista (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
Quentin "Q" Jacobsen is in love the perfect Margo Roth Spiegelman. One day, Margo shows up at Quentin's window, and together they play pranks on Margo's enemies. The next day, Margo has disappeared. Soon, Quentin finds clues left by Margo, and his quest to find her begins.

I absolutely loved Paper Towns. I could not put this book down, and I ended up finishing it in three school days. Usually, with school, it takes me at least a week to finish a book. The book was witty, meaningful, and just plain fun. The deeper meaning was my favorite part of the novel. Because of the similar theme, Paper Towns strongly reminded me of The Great Gatsby. In fact, after I finished reading The Great Gatsby and Winter Dreams (a short story also by F. Scott Fitzgerald with the same theme) for English last semester, I could not stop thinking how people wrongly perceive other people as idols or perfections. Now, I am experiencing the same feeling.

Green also seamlessly wove symbols into the story. One example is the black Santas that Radar's parents collect. I actually did not catch this one while I was reading. How did I find out about it, then? By looking at a vlog by John Green. I don't know how many of you have seen it, but if you're interested, it's at the end of this post. Another thing I enjoyed about the novel was the inclusion of interesting tidbits. The obvious one is paper towns, specifically where Margo disappeared to. Omnictionary was also a clever name, and I enjoyed Leaves of Grass too. Paper Towns is now one of my favorite novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2nd favorite John Green book, January 29, 2010
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
If you don't already know John Green, you should. I can't say that any other way!
I love this book even-though it's geared for a younger audience I found it very enjoyable. I don't want to say anything about the story other than it hit home for me. You just need to read it, or get it for the young-adult in your life.
Uses some profane language, but it is really, in good taste. This fact should not be a deterrent, if it is this book isn't for you. The story is not about a sugar coated fairy world. It is about a real life possible existence and in real life people use bad words.

D.F.T.B.A.
NerdFighters Rule!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read but a little trite, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Paper Towns (Paperback)
I'm 21 and an avid reader. Recently, I have been reading the more interesting sounding YA novels that have come out recently, looking for some fun, smart, quick reads. I've read quite a few, and from those I have really enjoyed The Hunger Games and its sequel Catching Fire, Graceling and it's prequel Fire, The Host, Poison Study, A Certain Slant of Light and I'm currently reading and enjoying Maximum Ride. I felt like all of these YA books stood out from the rest because the stories were cleverly developed, the dialog was fun, and they kept me interested. Nor did the writing and dialog feel 'young' or a little silly as some YA novels often feel.

Now on to Paper Towns...

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was fun to read, and I loved the main character and his group of friends. I thought that the story developed well overall. That being said, while the first half of the book was ok (not incredibly entertaining nor boring), what kept me reading was how much I enjoyed getting to know the main character and his two friends Ben and Radar. At first I found their teen boy dialog a little annoying, but after getting to know them a little better it made sense. Quentin's obsession with interpreting Margo got old after awhile and I started to get bored which thankfully didn't last for too long. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to maybe the last 150 pages of the book and it felt like the pages were flying by because I had just completely fallen into the last part of the story! There were parts in this last section of the book that made me laugh out loud and I found the group of friends so endearing in the last part of their journey that I couldn't put it down, not because I really wanted to know what happened at the end, but because it was so enjoyable to read.

After reading Paper Towns, there is no doubt in my mind that John Green is a good writer, and I really admire his ability to tap into the teenage way of thinking and many of the emotions that we are prone to feel during high school. The fact that he is able to make the characters in the book sound like actual teenagers without sounding overly formulated adds to the novel. My only issue with this book is that I felt like the author was trying to make Margo into Holden Caulfield in far too obvious of a way and it made her character and her character's angst seem silly. Her calling Orlando a "paper town" and then having Quentin rehash the sentiment when he observes 'all the paper people, in the paper houses at their paper party' (or whatever the actual quote said), was just too obviously similar to Holden and his 'phonies'. The difference between Holden and Margo though is that Holden was far more believable in his need to escape from societal norms.

The character of Margo was so off putting to me because her angst seemed so calculated by the author that she didn't feel unique at all and it made the book seem a little trite. The effect she had on Quentin made sense though (and essentially this is what the book is about), and thankfully because he was such a great main character and his friends were fun too, this book is well worth the read.

While this book might lack the entertainment factor of The Hunger Games, I definitely recommend it to readers who like a slightly introspective and fun YA novel where you can connect with the main character. In many of the popular YA books coming out the main characters seem predominately female, so I found Quentin to be a breath of fresh air.

Some of the reviews down here address the language but I definitely feel that it's far from offensive in this book because it's realistic to how high school students speak. For concerned parents, I think there might have been a few sex references, but nothing strong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Paper Book, December 27, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to reading this book after having just read "Looking for Alaska." Everything about this book seemed like a poor rip off of John Greens other books. The characters are one dimensional. Ben and everyone else act like they are in middle school. Quentin is self centered and only talks about Margo. Same ideas from Green's other books are used in this one: labyrinths are mentioned multiple times, Margo and Alaska are the same character, this book might as well be called "Looking for Margo" because it is the same plot. This book is just as fake as the paper towns Margo talks about. It had potential but ultimately failed.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't get the love for this book, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Paper Towns (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't going to write a review of Paper Towns, but I changed my mind. The more I thought about it, the more I wondered, "Why do people really like this book?" And I guess I'm hoping someone will tell me. The other two books of John's that I've read were pretty good, and I got that. But, with this one, I'm completely baffled. Completely. Was I supposed to like anything about Margo? Was I supposed to be sad when Quentin thinks she's dead? Was I supposed to be shocked when he solved the mystery?

But, I don't want to stay on the negative (and that's why this is going to be short). I just don't get what's so great about this book in general.

What did I like? I loved the road trip. I loved Radar and Ben. They're what saved the book for me. I loved the progression of Quentin's relationship with them and how his search for Margo somehow makes his friendships better. I could have read an entire book just about this friendship between the three boys and would have been much happier than I was reading the actual book. The road trip had me laughing all the way through; I read that section at least twice as fast as the rest of the book.

I'm not sure how much I'm getting across in this review past my confusion as to why close to 80 percent (according to Goodreads) gave this book four or five stars. What am I not seeing? To me, Paper Towns feels contrived, quirky just to be quirky, intellectual just to be intellectual. I just don't get it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Listening to this is equal to spitting nails, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Paper Towns (Audio CD)
If I never hear the name again, Margo Roth Spiegelman,I can live a happy life. I think I could write a thesis paper on the ways this audiobook grinded on my nerves. I gave it two stars, one for me finishing it and one for Dan Miller, for doing a great job with the voices. Part 1 was good, Margo pulling Quentin into her one night adventure of revenge. Part 2 started the downhill journey, Quentin desperate to find missing Margo. Part 3, road trip to discover Margo, I was hoping some redeeming quality in her like she might be dead or injured but no just the reader realizing Margo Roth Spiegelman is the most self-centered character in history and Quentin needs to get a life outside of her.

ARRAY(0xd96ea960)

Paper Towns
Paper Towns by John Green (Paperback - September 22, 2009)
$9.99 $5.64