Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on January 19, 2010
When I first saw the cover, I immediately placed it on order before it was released. I incorrectly assumed that it would be a how-to book on paper art & crafts. After I got the book, I quickly skimmed through the book, and much to my great delight, it was not a how-to book, but a well-curated "exhibition" on the art and craft of paper as executed by the designers and artists. I later discovered that the cover photo is a paper illustration of all the ingredients for its creator's chili recipe.

As I went past the title page, I expected to find a table of contents, but it was not included - instead, a preface appeared. As I was reading it, I was relieved to find that it was not an "academic treatise", but an entertaining, insightful, and beautifully written introduction (authored by Robert Klanten) to paper as a physical and tangible medium for use in fine arts, fashion, illustration, animation, objects and graphic design.

Due to the lack of the table of contents, I had to skim through the whole book to count the number of chapters. I have found that it was grouped into five "chapters" which looked more like categories. Each "chapter" starts with the text written by Sonja Commentz, and her writings were just as creative as many of the paper works shown in the book.

The book itself is truly mind-boggling especially when all of the works are either done in two-dimensional or three-dimensional with nothing but paper. One could say that it's sheer paper madness - murals, display, poster, collage, typography, objects, characters, toys, shoes, costume, trains, villages, repurposed/altered books, life-sized dioramas, installation sites and many more.

From examining the colorful and good sized photographs, I saw that many different paper craft techniques were employed in various projects: folding, kirigami, cutouts, silhouettes, sculpting, scoring, and embossing, to name a few. The coffee table size of the book allows many of the photographs to be large enough for me to be able to look at some of the works in detail so that the paper techniques can be figured out.

At the end of the book is an index where the first letters of the company names and even the artists'/designers' names are sorted. The strange thing is that there is a table of contents included - not for the book itself but for the CD which is attached to the inside back cover. The included CD contains both the videos (DVD) and the templates (ROM) for 18 "urban paper" artists' models. The video portion contains interviews, animation and demonstration. One of my favorite paper animation videos, This is Where We Live, done by Apt & Asylum Films is included and I was absolutely delighted to have it in my possession.

In summary, this book is the most inspiring book on paper creativity I have ever come across. I wish that it would be given a better title to do it much greater justice. Anyway, I love and am grateful for the fact that I have many of the great paper work in one bound physical copy instead of an electronic list of various paper artists'/designers' websites. I highly recommended this book for anyone who loves the look and feel of paper anywhere and everywhere.
44 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2011
this is adapted from a longer review at my blog liberal sprinkles

Paper comes to life in so many ways in this book. Art installations, portraits, animation characters, 3D posters, cutouts of figures, people, animals and objects big and small, Papercraft: Design and Art with Paper is full of fun examples of what can be crafted with paper.

There are numerous works I recognize, including some from Jen Stark and Ferris Staverman, whom I've blogged about. There are also pieces from other artists whose works I've seen on the Internet or pinned at Pinterest, so in some ways, this book was very familiar to me.

But there's a huge lot of other works that I was introduced to. A wide variety of works in multiple structures and formats are presented. Some are functional, others purely decorative; some are playful, others thought-provoking. Nothing is boring or common. The works exude creativity - there's lots to grab your attention and give you ideas of how much can be created from a flat material.

My only complaint is there's very minimal information - if any at all - on the works and the artists. But there's still plenty of eye candy to enjoy.

4.5 stars
on February 18, 2012
Papercraft is a stunning book full of sharp and witty creations from a humble material. I've shared it with my students and Maine College of Art for a current 3D project, and they have found much inspiration.
on June 16, 2013
Book was in absolutely fantastic condition, love it! This is an awesome book, reccommend to all! Thankyou so very much!
on September 6, 2010
My teenage daughter brought this home from the library. We quickly saw that it was a MUST HAVE. Even our 16 year old son loves it and he has always disdained art, crafts and anything of that nature! It is a beautiful book, very inspiring, and completely beyond words to describe.
on February 14, 2011
Wonderful book for any age, this book is a truly exquisite paradise especially for designers, visually enchanting and provokes imagination.
on November 17, 2009
I've only one thing to say: Amazing!!!! Is the best book that I ever bought!