4.0 out of 5 stars a good balance
Published on July 16, 2002 by graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice in some ways, dull in others.
Published on July 23, 2002 by Andy Williamson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a good balance, July 16, 2002
graham (coppell, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
The cd "parade of chaos" is really, first of all, a great album from zao. After listening to it a couple time, I think it would be safe for me to call it my new favorite from the band. Too be honest, I was kinda worried about what they'd turned into since their "(self-titled)" album a while back. But I was very happy to see them return to a sound more similar to "where blood and fire bring rest", with breakdowns aplenty.
The album combines the technical guitar parts of self titled with a more sludge sound like you would find in "liberate te es inferis" as well as some really great breakdown which just make you want to break out dancing. Also I think it has some really great melodies in the songs, which sound a rockish quality.
The only thing i was disappointed in was the lack of the cool beats. In self-titled, drummer Jessie Smith created some rhythems i just couldn't get out of my head.
Overall, this is a great mix of the awesome vocals and breakdowns on blood and fire with the slick riffs of self-titled.
Some of my favorite songs are The Buzzing, Killing Cupid, and How Are The Weak Free. Hopefully this wont be the last we see of Zao, but if it is, its a great tribute to everything they have come to be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice in some ways, dull in others., July 23, 2002
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
After the crushing self-titled disc I EAGERLY awaited new material from Zao. I do enjoy some of this album. In fact, "The Buzzing" and "Suspend/Suspension" are great songs, the latter being one of the bands best moments in my opinion. I gave up trying to keep tabs on the band members and was pleasantly surprised to hear Dan back on lead vocals. There is still nothing to compare to his voice :)
While there are some great moments here, the rest seems rather blah to me. "Parade of Chaos", "Free The Three", and "A Pirate's Prayer" have some wonderful moments and breakdowns. However, I don't really care for "The Ballad of..." or the instrumental/ambient interlude before the title track. The acoustic-tinged number is interesting in a Radiohead sort-of-way, but not compelling. I find myself skipping these tracks. They don't really fit in, and they come across as the band's attempt to just throw in something a bit different without regard to a coherant whole. Granted, Zao can and do sound good even when they are not quite firing on all cylinders-at least they do everything with *extreme* conviction. Also, the final track is quite good ("We must put him down...") but is nowhere close to the intensity of "Simeon Simmons." I guess that track spoiled me.
It's not so much that some of the tracks lack the trademark Zao power as it is that the song writing itself seems less inspired. I found few of the riffs to be memorable, which, up to this point has been a given with every ZAO album. I like the broadening stylistically into the more melodic realm (thus I take issue with another reviewer who talks of this disc getting back to the WBAFMR era-this disc is more straight-forward, not fractured like WBAFMR and is stylistically the furthest departure from WBAFBR in the bands catalogue), but the ambient portions seem to fall flat with my ears. A good album with classic ZAO occasionally shining thru, but nothing approaching spectacular.

4.0 out of 5 stars An album to haunt your dreams., October 15, 2002
A. (Mesa, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
Parade of Chaos may not be my favorite Zao album (see Liberate te Ex Infernis) , but it scores strongly on all the points the matter. While some of the softer vocals, and even accoustic parts are suprising given Zao's agressive sound, they have always been experimental with their style, something that has helped them stand out from the other hardcore/metal bands. These softer points, make the rest of the album seem even harder while lending the effort a mournfuly beautiful effect.
The lyrics are outstounding, haunting, and full of true and unforced sentiment. The guitars verge more on metal, with some hardcore riffs, and Dan's vocal's are unrivaled in raw power and intensity.
The Buzzing starts the cd of with a bang and never relents, a tune that if played live could singularly move an entire crowd into action. Sunspend/Suspension is another great track, the distortion adding an eeire quality to the already poignant lyrics. In Angel Without Wings, some of the softer vocals come into play, creating a point of interest in what would have been otherwise a mediocre song. In Free the Three, the lyrics are brilliant, an entire part is simply spoken explaining the song in more depth. Man in the Womb is an entirely accoustic piece with beautifully sung vocals. How Are the Weak Free ends the album perfectly, offering raw power tempered with the almost chanted vocals.
In whole listening to Parade of Chaos all the way through is like reading a very satisfying book, all the pieces fit perfectly in their own places, and the end result is a feeling of balance without sacrificing any of their raw intesity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, June 20, 2005
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
I listened to Parade of Chaos when I was at a party 2 years ago. A guy who had just met me that night put in this cd and played Angel Without Wings. Surprisingly I was so excited about this song and put it in the stereo for everyone at the party to hear it. The guy who gave me a burned copy of the cd later on, became my boyfriend and got me into all of this metal phased music. Angel Without Wings has a great blend of screaming and singing that make it a song to remember. I really dont have any right to say that I am in love with this cd since I only like about 2 songs on the whole thing, and they are both soft and non-screaming, ironically not surprising for me.

I recommend listening to this song no matter what type of music you're already involved in. It's not trying to change your personality, just your perspective that all screaming bands aren't bad.

God Bless

3.0 out of 5 stars Zao minus ferocity....., September 15, 2002
Matt Schaefer (Millstadt, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
The thing that initially attracted me to Zao in the first place, above everything else, was their intensely vicious approach to music. I own every Zao release, including "All Else Failed", and I can honestly say that Shawn Jonas' subpar vocals notwithstanding, this is my least favorite Zao CD. It's heavy, it's mean, it's melodic, it's different. However, it is not ZAO heavy, ZAO mean, ZAO melodic, or ZAO different. It seems to me as though the band just went through the motions on this one. It doesn't seem inspired. The performances are lackluster and anticlimatic. Several others have noticed Jesse Smith's drumming is not quite where it used to be. Jesse is not the world's most technically proficient drummer, but on past releases, he displayed much more passion and creativity. I think the band just rushed through this album. The songwriting is plain, there is not a great dynamic scale, the ideas seem a bit cliched. I like the album, but I don't put it anywhere near Liberate te ex Infernis or Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest. Highlights are "Suspend/Suspension", "Angel Without Wings", and "How are the Weak Free". I am disappointed mostly because I hate to see such an incredible band make such a mediocre last effort. It's still better than Shawn Jonas singing..........

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal to stretch your musical mind..., October 31, 2005
N. Pierce (Southern Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
Zao have been around for years going through lineup changes that make Spinal Tap look like U2. But the honest truth of the matter is that Parade of Chaos, from a "evolution of the band" standpoint, is their creative pinnacle. It is a far cry from the serious poetic metalcore of Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest, and even farther from All Else Failed, and Splinter Shards. The sonic improvement of the band is noteworthy. Scott's riffs are crunchy and groovy (Listen to A Pirate's Prayer). Jesse's drumming is perfection (Killing Cupid). Dan sounds great (Angel Without Wings). But the icing on the cake is that this sounds like a band having fun. The songs lack most of the anger and scariness of their previous albums. There is more work with electronic loops and sounds which only add to the band's mystique. Wait, is that a pop music riff I hear? Overall this is Zao at their most creative, and it really works. (In retrospect, after viewing the Zao DVD "The Lesser Lights of Heaven," this album was an uncohesive effort and was more or less thrown together to finish thier contract with Tooth & Nail. Even so, the above review still stands.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Swan Song, July 16, 2002
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
This is the final release of the epic and masterful band, Zao. Through the years this band has been through everything you can imagine. Every year, members would come and go. Every album, the mood and the style would change. But with every release, and with every song, this band has always poured every ounce of energy and emotion into what they do. Zao have created a level of music and heaviness that no other band has ever been able to reach. Other bands have created their own levels in the genere (Converge, Coalesce, etc), but Zao is heaviness in it's puriest form. With Parade of Chaos, Zao have returned to form and have evolved at the same time. You can hear hints of past albums in each song, but they've added something new (which they have always done) to make this a unique album comparable to no other. Dan's vocals are top notch, and Jesse's drumming is good as always, but not as good as past efforts. The drums are still loud and tight and create a perfect background for each song, but there isn't really anything that stands out and makes your draw drop like some past performances. As a whole, I would say this album is mixture of the three past albums, with that little something new, and call it a great farwell album. This band has truly touched me and many others with their beautiful but heavy as hell music. This is a great place to introduce yourself to Zao, and a fitting end to the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars they've out done themselves again., July 21, 2002
Terence P Gaiser (Albuquerque, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
1. The buzzing: great opener, pretty heavy. If you listen closely, you can hear jesse screw up on one part, but still really good.
2. Suspend/suspention: pretty good, cool programmed ending. more melodic than usuall zao.
3. Parade of chaos. Really cool intro, dan's vocals sound great on this one.
4. Angel without wings: surprising new side to zao. very melodic.
5. Killing cupid: one of the best songs. great solo. heavier than most of the songs.
6. Free the three: not bad, cool spoken word interlude. just heavy.
7. Man in the womb: another great song cool acoustic with jesse singing.
8. A pirate's prayer: slower paced, but really heavy, sic breakdown, and a part were it sounds like they're under water.
9. The ballad of buddy bigsy: cool techno instrumental.
10. How are the weak free: good closer, pretty intense.
best cd from them ever, dan's vocals are his best, but jesse's drumming isn't as good as older stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars And Its Good!, August 11, 2005
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
Ok its pretty clear ZAO knows how to make good and extremely good albums. This one falls in between those two. I myself though think Blood and fire is there best of the best though. Don't get me wrong this album kills!! Some of the best songs on this cd are The Buzzing,Suspend/Suspension, Parade of Choas is ok, Angel w/o Wings is one my personal favs on this cd and the very powerful song free the three. So there are some really good songs on this cd and there are some that are just in my words just fillers to take up space on cds. But there some nice guitar and drum parts to and of coarse there's the almighty Dan's voice reining allover this whole cd. So its pretty good but I highly recommend Blood and Fire and there latest The Funeral of God! Both of which are extremely good. So go ahead and check it out dudes!!

5.0 out of 5 stars they are awesome, September 23, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Parade of Chaos (Audio CD)
All right you other guys I dont care what you goths think about them since they are christians, go ahead and disslike the lyrics.

I,m glad to get christian heavy metal rock. I was used to listening to hard rock when my friend said to listen to ZAO, I expected to hear some singing. Instead I heard all these ferosious screaming sounds coming out of my ear phones, I thought this was way better than hard rock.

Zao is a great band. Goths if you want to complain about my God, dont write complaints on the internet. My God is The LORD JESUS CHRIST.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Parade of Chaos
Parade of Chaos by Zao (Heavy Metal) (Audio CD - 2002)