5.0 out of 5 stars PARADISE DVD
Published 7 months ago by steve trekal

3.0 out of 5 stars Paradise?
Published 9 months ago by Ferdy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PARADISE DVD, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Paradise (DVD)
Going straight to disc and download! I was a little surprised since this movie is funny, moving, clever, entertaining and original. Well acted by the entire cast. Why it didn't get a theatrical release? I dont know , but it kept my interest from beginning to end. I even wished it was a bit longer. Julianne and Russel really have chemistry and Octavia singing Radiohead?! Man she really nailed in a different way! I recommend this one if you are starting to really getting bored with the average flick. Julianne Hough has really pushed her ability this time. I love to see the risk taking she takes in this role. 4 stars for the hard to please and 5 stars for the open minded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had never heard of the movie and was pleasantly surprised, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Paradise (Amazon Instant Video)
The story line was plausible. It was realistic about someone who'd lost their faith. Liked that the characters weren't perfect. Moved quickly so didn't get bored with a lot of extraneous back drop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paradise?, October 7, 2013
Ferdy (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Paradise (Amazon Instant Video)
The idea for this movie is pretty interesting. A young, devoutly Christian woman who has never known life beyond her insulated community is severely burned in a plane crash. Her injuries make her question her faith and everything about her life. She decides to take the money she gets from a settlement with the airplane manufacturer and go to Sin City (Las Vegas) alone to experience life for the first time. It's at this point that the plot gets overly simplified and saccharine. She meets up with a kindly bartender and a motherly lounge singer who take her under their wing. She has a list of things she wants to accomplish like drinking alcohol, dancing, getting a tattoo, etc. They accompany her and in the process she realizes the wild life isn't all glamorous and exotic. You can probably pretty much write the ending yourself. Julianne Hough, Russell Brand, Holly Hunter and
Octavia Spencer are all good in their performances and they actually save the film from becoming too treacly to stomach. It's definitely a feel good, bit of fluff, kind of movie so if that's what you're looking for this isn't bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars An underrated gem., March 21, 2014
This review is from: Paradise (DVD)
Paradise starring Julianne Hough really caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to like this coming-of-age drama as much as I did. I've never been a fan of Hough's acting, but she completely blew me away in this film. Her performance as Lamb, a young women who gets burned physically after a plane crash who eventually loses her faith in God and sets out to Las Vegas to find herself (and commit a few minor sins). Great supporting performances by Octavia Spencer and Russell Brand. This film was written and directed by Diablo Cody, who also wrote Juno and Young Adult. Paradise is her most conservative piece of work. It's more organic and heartfelt but not fluffy or preachy. This film has some funny moments, but overall Paradise is a dramatic film about learning to overcome obstacles, and accepting that everyone has scars, not just on the outside. Give it a try. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and heartwarming, February 17, 2014
I liked this movie. The acting was great, and I really appreciated the young woman's point of view toward her church. I think a lot of youth these days feel the same way, but are afraid to come out.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Paradise [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
another one that really impressed me. I've been a big fan of diablo cody since jennifer's body, so I was excited to hear about her movie paradise. then I read it was about a christian girl who is in a very bad accident that leaves her disfigured who turns her back on god, renounces christianity, and heads to las vegas to basically fulfill her sin bucket list. now, I'm a christian, but not a fanatical one, and I know a little about diablo, her background, and opions. so I was expecting a very cynical, anti-christian movie—but instead it was arather positive journey for this girl who finds herself in vegas and comes to peace with her place in life—her purpose, I guess you could say. all the principle actors: julianne hough, russell brandt, and octavia spencer did an excellent job, and I ended up enjoying this film a lot more than expected. I'm also one of those that really enjoys videos with a good helping of extras, and while there aren't a whole lot on this one, I did like the commentary from diablo—this being her first writing AND directing project, it was fun to hear her insights and comments in general about this story in the commentary. looks great on blu-ray, but would probably be fine on dvd (but I almost always prefer blu-ray.) check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air!, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Paradise (Amazon Instant Video)
This was so an adorable and heart warming movie. The acting was wonderful and I enjoyed the message regarding life, loss and love.

3.0 out of 5 stars One minute you are laughing and smiling the next you are crying and depressed. This is good but be prepared for that. I say B., October 18, 2013
Tony Heck (Belgrade, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradise [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
"Let the sin begin." Lamb Mannerheim (Hough) is a young woman who is very religious and has everything going for her. After a plane crash leaves her scarred on 75% of her body she begins to question everything. One day she can't take it anymore and refutes the existence of God in front of her church. She then sets off to find her own way and have her own experiences and what better place to do that then Las Vegas where she meets an angry lounge singer and a friendly bartender (Brand). Before watching this one I did something I don't normally do, I watched the trailer for it. The trailer made me laugh and I was looking forward to it even though I'm not a Russell Brand fan. This movie is an example of why I don't watch trailers. While I did like the movie and I am glad I watched it, it wasn't really what I would call a laugh-out-loud comedy. This is from the writer of Juno and the comedy is more that style. This is almost a bi-polar movie. One minute you are laughing and smiling the next you are crying and depressed. This is good but be prepared for that. Overall, a good movie that is worth watching but be prepared for the roller coaster. I give it a B.

4.0 out of 5 stars We all have scars, some are just more visible., October 16, 2013
If you are only going into this expecting it to be another Juno, then readjust your thinking. This is a sad, sweet, poignant, personal, and pinpoint funny film. It is quirky one moment then subtle the next. Julianne is just effervescent enough, and I never found her over the top. The entire supporting cast did their job wonderfully. Russell was charming and Octavia was a lovable grump. I enjoyed Cody's perspective as a screenwriter and as a director. I really hope people give this a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Paradise (DVD)
I thought that it was a really good movie. I usually don't care for Russell Brand, but he played a good part.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›