Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL

on July 7, 2010
I have identified 3 critical parts to the movie theatre popcorn you love. I will break it down for you:

1- Paragon Coconut Popping Oil = Provides the 'nutty/toasted' flavor, the odor that permeates the local cinema, and yellow hue to the popped corn
2- Flavacol = The yellow ultra-fine salt of good cinema popcorn.
3- *Buttery topping = the goo you get when you ask for "extra 'butter' " at the concessions counter or clarified butter[1].

My current recipe: (2014-05-29)
 Lindy's Stainless Steel Popcorn Popper for popping (you can use pots to great effect too, no worries)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/2 tsp Flavocol
36 grams coconut oil (I have a digital kitchen scale)
2 tbs salted butter (you can use unsalted too)
*(I adjusted the recipe above to make a smaller yield so that it usually fits in the Lindy's pot - the larger recipe required dumping some popcorn out mid-batch, and I realized

Makes ... well ... a really big bowl. We hold it in a large but shallow stainless mixing bowl.
Enough for three adults who really like to eat popcorn.
660 calories for the entire bowl. I eat about 1/2 bowl ... ergo about 330 calories.

[] Popcorn
With stove on high, put Flavocol and coconut oil in kettle and melt then swish a little to distribute. Dump in popcorn and close lid. Stir kettle with crank. This recipe makes more than can fit in the Lindy's kettle, so I quickly pour off SOME of the extra when the kettle fills and put it back on the stove.

[] Clarified butter topping
Put the butter in a small bowl or mug and microwave _as low as it goes_ for three to five minutes. The objective is to melt the butter slowly and prevent it from 'boiling and crackling'. If it boils for too long, it gets an offish flavor, kind of like freezer burned food to be honest. If done right, you'll have a thin layer of whitish goo in the bowl on top of a deep yellow clear layer with a little white goo in the bottom. Skim off the whitish layer on top (if it forms) with a spoon and discard. Carefully pour the clear yellow layer over your popcorn but _not_ the white bottom stuff - yes, you'll have to waste a little yellow layer to do this. The white top and bottom layers are what makes popcorn soggy - the clear yellow layer is pure oil and will NOT make it soggy. (thanks to all below who raised my awareness to this fact).

Product notes:
:: Cost ::
I hesitated buying this at first ... thinking "$15 ... is it really worth it?" I procrastinated buying Flavacol because it seemed silly that shipping cost more than the product itself. Well, now after 1.5 years I still haven't used up either product and spent less than $30 total for popcorn that is absolutely incredible.
UPDATE- my flavocol box has lasted five tubs of coconut oil plus some.

:: 100% coconut oil melts at 72-74F ::
I read a review that stated the purchaser was dissatisfied because it wasn't 100% Coconut oil. The label on the back (as of writing of this review) says "76 (degree symbol)" coconut oil plus beta carotene NOT "76% Coconut oil" . It's 100% Coconut Oil mixed with a small amount beta carotene (for yellow color). The "76 (degree symbol)" refers to the melting temperature of the coconut oil and thus this popcorn "oil" is a _solid_ at room temperature (less than 76F). I had it sitting on the counter when it was 80 degrees indoors and it started to melt ... later that same evening when the A/C brought the house to 74 degrees for a couple of hours ... it began solidifying again. Neat.

:: No buttery flavor in this ::
Though convincingly yellow in color, this popcorn oil provides NO butter flavor.

:: Refrigeration ::
It does not require refrigeration once opened.

:: Shelf Life ::
Pretty near unlimited - This tub lasts around a year at our house before we run out. Since it contains no water or sugars, bacteria really have no way of getting started in there. I mean ... how long would you trust a bottle of canola oil? Pretty much indefinitely, right?

:: What does it DO and why do I NEED it? ::
Coconut Oil provides the 'missing ingredient' between cinema popcorn an your homemade popcorn - that nutty, toasty, movie-theatre smell. Been using some form of vegetable-oil haven't you? It's okay, but sometimes it's unpleasantly oily. It JUST doesn't taste correct, right? Use this 'popping oil' (solid, remember) for your stove-top popcorn and you're done. (I have tried 'gourmet' popcorns, white popcorn, etc ... but have found that plane-jane barebones no-frills yellow popcorn from your local store actually tastes best.)

If you want 100% theatre-like popcorn ... you'll have to substitute #3> above with the 'butter-flavored topping' of your choice. But, to be honest, that goo kind of turns my stomach. To prevent butter from softening your popcorn follow the directions above to clarify it.

Bliss. Heaven. It's soooooooo good.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2010
I just found this huge gallon jug of red coconut oil. I've been using it for weeks now and it tastes and handles just like the movie theater. It is semi solid at room temperature.

A friend I know has owned a movie theater for over 20 years. He told me the industry secret.
You know that old popcorn smell at the movie theater? That sweet smell that reassures you and lets you know you've arrived in the cool air conditioned retreat of your favorite movie house? That smell is red coconut oil cooking over high heat. Sadly the health conscious has abandoned this, but still today in most theater's red coconut oil is used. I've found a couple products I really like but they come in tiny containers. That's no good. This is a gallon. Bring on the popcorn! This will be enough to serve an entire crowd at a high school football game. You only need a tablespoon and a half for an 1/4 cup of uncooked popcorn.

Next get Flavorcol. This is the seasoned salt that is used.

Don't use butter. It won't turn out right. Use butter flavored topping.
Good Luck!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2011
I've been studying up on how to make the perfect popcorn for quite some time now, and the very best advice I got was right here on Amazon! Lots of "popcorn people" here, many of whom revealed their secrets. I bought the threesome recommended by Amazon: Paragon Coconut Oil, Paragon Popcorn, and Flavacol. With Super-Saver shipping, it's a deal that can't be beat.

After reading the instructions on all 3 ingredients and the reviews published herein, I settled on the following recipe: 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 3/4 cup of popping corn, and 1 teaspoon of Flavacol. I heated up the oil, added the popcorn, then added the Flavacol while the stirrer was churning. I kept my fingers crossed and waited. All of a sudden, all hell broke loose and the popcorn commenced to popping. Much faster than that Orville Redenbacker crap---this was like a machine gun going off! Very few unpopped kernels compared to brands I've purchased in the supermarket. This is the real deal, folks. My house smells like the lobby of a movie theatre!

After a squirt of butter, I chowed down on the best popcorn I've ever eaten! Seriously. Buying the ingredients in these quantities saved a bunch of money compared to the supermarket, and I have enough to last for a very long time.

I'd advice folks to buy a few Tupperware re-useable cereal containers to store the bulk popcorn, as the bag cannot be resealed; and I'm also looking into getting some smaller jars for more convenient storage and use of the coconut oil.

Thanks to all who contributed their advice to this "forum" of sorts!
on February 12, 2010
Coconut oil is what they use at the movie theaters. Accounts for that sweet almost floral fragrance. Makes great movie theater style popcorn. Kinda scary seeing this giant tub of orange oil. Even scarier seeing the level of it going down. But does make crispy, fragrant popcorn. it solidifies at room temperature, so you have to scoop it out into a bowl, microwave it at 30 seconds and then it goes into the kettle.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2011
Just like movie theater popcorn. I used an internet suggestion. Melted a small amount of coconut popcorn popping oil in the microwave and filled a ice cube tray with the oil. Placed in freezer. Excellent idea, just the right amount of oil in the cube, without the mess of digging into the jar.
on June 21, 2012
Everything good you've read in other reviews is true. You will get great popcorn using coconut oil!
*Coconut oil will produce the yellow movie theater look and taste.
*Use Flavacol as your salt, and it takes it to another level.
*I have not taken the 3rd piece of advice and bought a buttery topping. Haven't used butter either. Just the coconut oil + Flavacol is a winning flavor. (It's already popped in fat, so I've avoided pouring on additional fat and tell myself it's healthier this way. Not permanent avoidance, though; just until I figure out which topping I want!)

The warning? Understand the composition. Below 76 degrees, coconut oil is solid--think Crisco, but wetter--and is fairly easy to handle. Above 76 degrees, it's liquid. And as a liquid, it is VERY difficult to deal with a gallon container of grease. It's VERY messy. You will not get a clean pour. It will drip and spill down the sides. Every time. Even spooning some out can be messy. It clings to EVERYTHING--the lid, the mouth, the sides of the container, even the spoon. Thus comes a tip:

Tip 1: Avoid the mess by keeping some in a bottle as you would olive oil, and it dispenses easily. (I used a spoon and a funnel to minimize mess when transferring.) There is absolutely no mess or waste with the olive oil dispenser. When it's cooler inside and it's solid, bypass the dispenser and scoop from the gallon container, which hopefully, is solid, too.

(I suppose you could keep it in the refrigerator, where it'd always be solid and thus easy to use. I didn't do any research on whether refrigeration affects product, so if you're thinking that, pls research before you do.)

Tip 2. A gallon is a LOT of product. Using 2-3 tablespoons at a time, you will have this around for a long time. A carton of Flavacol is also a LOT of product. So if you're concerned about having it around for years, divvy it up among a few friends. Think a few olive oil containers, small jars (for when it's solid), and some dredges for the Flavacol. Everyone can then make great popcorn. (Great idea for homemade popcorn gift baskets, right?)

Don't second guess yourself with this one. Get a gallon of this and a carton of Flavacol. You'll stop buying microwave popcorn.
on July 10, 2012
I'm not kidding. I'm a big popcorn fan. I eat it several times a week. This is the BEST popcorn oil on the planet. And just to be especially cool, it is among the least damaging and most beneficial cooking oils on the planet as well. Just stop looking. This is the stuff you've been seeking.
on September 19, 2011
Ok.. the price keeps going up on this, but its ONE GALLON of popping oil. Its semi-solid when it arrives in that massive container.
I managed to get one with free shipping so not a bad deal at all. The ratio they suggest is 3 parts corn to one part oil. So.. 1/2 cup of kernals
and you need 1/6 cup oil. Since most people don't have a 1/6 cup. I'd use at least 2 TBS.. heck use 3. It adds TASTE, and that's why
you buy this stuff!! Its for heavy popcorn eaters...... but I've looked on the net, and the shelf life is around 5 YEARS if stored
in a cool dark place. That should last everyone.

Buy some... lifes too short for crappy popcorn.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2013
I built my own theater in my house 6 years ago and part of the build included a theater style popcorn popper. Thus began my journey to figure out the recipe for perfect theater popcorn. I modified it every few months experimenting with different steps, different ingredients, etc. I was never satisfied!

A year ago a friend of mine visited the supply warehouse for the Salt Lake City movie theaters and asked about the best way to make movie theater popcorn. I was visiting him and he made a batch that was so amazing it just about made me cry!

Fast forward to today and I have the perfect recipe now that gives me consistently amazing popcorn! I'm actually a little bit disappointed with movie theater popcorn now.

I have an 8oz popper, so modify as needed:
1) Heat up your popper until it starts smoking
2) Add your kernels to the popper (8oz in my case) -- NOTE: I buy my kernels from a specialty popcorn store in town. They're fresher than the stores and I keep them in vacuum sealed containers until I need them. HUGE difference in flavor.
3) Let them roast for 3-5 seconds (this makes for a yummy flavor to the kernels!)
4) Add 4 Tablespoons of the coconut oil -- note that coconut oil is solid below 73degrees F. I put it in a squeeze bottle and microwave it for 30 seconds before using.
5) Add 1 teaspoon of "Gold Medal" flavacol seasoning salt to the popper
6) Cover and let pop until kernels pop 2-3 seconds apart (98% popped) and then dump out whatever's left in your popper.
7) Stir and serve
8) [Optional - I like, but you may not] Add a squirt of heated "O'Dells Supur-Kist II buttery topping" and a dash of table salt to your flavor preference.

Eat and enjoy!
on April 21, 2010
This product allows you to make the movie popcorn you know and love in your own home. It's great and with free shipping the deal is outstanding.