Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac
Format: SoftwareChange
Price:$20.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 8, 2013
I will NOT upgrade to Parallels 9 until this is removed:

"When a user upgrades Parallels Desktop, he is asked if he wants a free six-month subscription to Parallels Access. Even if he says no, the product is installed on his system and the application is started each time the system is rebooted."

[...]
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hello,
Parallels appreciates and listens to customer feedback. Parallels plans to release a hot fix update for Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac next week which will improve the registration process to give the customer a choice to install Parallels Access upon initial installation of Parallels Desktop 9. In the event that the customer doesn't want to install at that time, they can easily do so from within Parallels Desktop 9 from the Preferences menu where it will be displayed as an option.

on September 11, 2013
Overall, the software is pretty good. You can watch videos without a problem and access my mac's hard drive (and plugged in storage) as a network drive.

There are some bugs that make it hard to use like:
-clicking anything in Windows 7 near the top of the screen is nearly impossible. The OS X menu appears when your mouse hits the top of the screen thereby covering whatever you were trying to click
-On a Macbook Pro with Retina display, many of the windows are horribly distorted and have extremely small font. This probably isn't a problem for other displays

PLEASE BE AWARE- you are basically buying this software as a subscription. A new version comes out EVERY year (for around the same price) and the previous version is no longer maintained/updated/supported. My parallels desktop 8 mac still has plenty of bugs that they will NEVER fix unless you buy the new version. When OS X updates are around half as much, I find this very frustrating and dishonest. They should at least sell it as a subscription...

I am using this software on a mid 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15" 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2.7GHz
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am writing this review and rating it only 3 stars, but I continue to love Parallels. I actually hope that others will buy Parallels 9 and then call, write, and chat with the support team to complain about the loss of Parallels Mobile and its replacement with a more expensive, but more functional version called Parallels Access. Hopefully, people reaching out and complaining will push them to re-visit their idea.

So, here's my review of the actual software.

Parallels makes upgrading easy. I just popped in the Desktop 9 CD, then realized that they will let me download it. I prefer to download as the CD will never survive in my house. If I ever needed to re-install, then I will have to have it. So, I downloaded the software and hit install. It found my Parallels 8 and replaced it. All of my OS's are still there.

Now my Dropbox and Google drive docs are available on the Windows machine. This may seem like nothing, but I can access my Photo Stream, my iCloud Docs (which I don't use), and my Google Drive docs straight from my Windows machine without having to create shares and links or by installing and mirroring the same data on the Windows machine. This is very nice and makes it much easier for me to update a file and know it will be pushed to Google Drive or Dropbox.

The last time I upgraded my Mac, I had an issue because Parallels stopped working. Apparently, Parallels Desktop 7 worked for Lion (10.7), but not Mountain Lion (10.8). That was a frustration that I wanted to avoid. When Mavericks (10.9) comes out, I can upgrade my laptop without worrying that all of my Parallels Operating Systems will shut down. I use the windows side for some of the work that I do and that was frustrating to realize that I couldn't access Windows until I upgraded Parallels. In their defense, they notated this on their website and had sent emails that I must have missed. I was pleased that the issue was documented and easy to see if I searched.

Parallels has replaced Parallels Mobile with Parallels Access as of this version. First off, what are these things, you might ask. These are Apps that you run on your iPhone/iPad which allows you to takeover your remote machine. I can sit at the coffee shop and remember I needed to hit send on an email. I grab my phone, open the Parallels Mobile app, and it connects to my laptop at home, shows me the desktop, and lets me do what I need to do. You don't have to setup your router or anything. Just have Parallels running and you're good to go.
* The downside, Parallels Mobile worked for iPhone and iPad. This meant that if I just had my phone, I was still good. Parallels Mobile was introduced around version 7 and now it's being phased out. It's being phased out in favor of Parallels Access, which does the same thing, but costs $79.99/yr and doesn't currently work on the iPhone. When you connect with Parallels Access, the computer you takeover gets all funky as Parallels us tweaking the desktop resolution so that it can show you one Mac/Windows application at a time.
* The upside, Parallels Access is pretty sweet. You can takeover just one Mac/Windows Application at a time. You don't have to re-size the application to perfectly fit in the screen. They have taken the iPad finger strokes and made them work when you are taking over a remote computer. It's pretty amazing and has allowed me to get more done faster.

Parallels Access might be worth $20/yr to me, but not $79.99. It's worth even less to me because I don't have a choice. Parallels Mobile is End of Purchase. [...] This means that you can't get it anymore and those of us that have been with them for years can't use it if we want to upgrade. If the next Mac upgrade to Mavericks works the same, then once I upgrade my Mac, I will have to upgrade Parallels and lose access to Parallels Mobile. (This is what I was talking about on the first paragraph. Please phone, chat, Skype, and email support. Please push for Parallels Mobile to come back or Parallels Access to be reasonably priced.)

I love Parallels and they have always come out with something new and some reason that it's worth it to me to upgrade. This is the first time I wouldn't want to give 5 stars. I still love them and want to stick with them. If you are choosing between Parallels and Fusion, I'd still say to go with Parallels. We just need them to get a little less cocky and be more open with us the consumers.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2013
Parallels 9 may offer marginal improvements over 8 as highlighted by others but I'd like to highlight my extremely bad experience with their support - they do not keep their promises even if made in writing!

In a nutshell I upgraded my full copy from Parallels 7-8 and 35 days later they want me to pay full upgrade price again!

The Parallels 9 pricing is already found to be expensive by many customers (just Google for "Parallels 9 Upgrade" and read other consumer comments).

On top of that I was promised a free upgrade by their customer support when purchasing in late July (I told support I was willing to wait for version 9 but was told the upgrade would not be a problem).

Now when I checked on my free upgrade to 9 (with their upgrade promise attached as an email) their response is "As a valuable customer we have given you a max of 15% discount".

When I highlighted their promise to me via email they simply regurgitated their bs 15% reply above.

The irony is that many retailers like Amazon like NewEgg are still selling copies of Parallels 8 with a FREE upgrade to version 9!

I can't understand why they treat their loyal full paying customers like s*** - I have been with them since version 6 and feel totally shafted by their upgrade pricing and policy of putting profits before loyal customers.

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hello Noah,
Parallels Desktop 9 Tech Guarantee started on August 15 this year. The customers who purchased Parallels Desktop 8 before August 15 are not eligible for free upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9.
Please forward your communication with Parallels Customer Support and your ticket number at social(at)support(.)parallels(.)com and I will be more than happy to check our records and help.

on October 24, 2013
Paralles features and functionality is fine... but it is official Parallels policy to not support Version that are 2-generations older then the current release. So if you keep up to date with your host operating system (for a low cost / no cost - see current Apple OSX Mavericks release) you will soon be forced to buy a 50 $ or higher Upgrade for Parallels to still be able to use your Windows / guest OS virtual machine... (See current discussion Parallels Desktop 7 and Mac OSX Mavericks).

[...]
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hello Roman,
Parallels invests and focuses our finite resources on creating superior software to support Windows, Mac, Google, Linux and other communities -- software with the best compatibility and deepest integration with the latest and greatest from those hardware and OS providers. This development and innovation comes with costs, and it's not feasible to offer free upgrades from older versions of Parallels Desktop software.

on November 3, 2013
Parallels is a nice way to run Windows programs on a a MAC.
You can run the Windows side-by-side to your Mac windows or in fullscreen mode on it's own desktop.
Also hardware is perfectly integrated, e.g. you can choose if a USB device should be used by MacOS or by Windows.

BUT:

You should know, that together with new MacOS updates like Lion or Mavericks Parallels also releases a new version typically with minor enhancements.
Versions 2 revisions back aren't supported any longer and will not run on the new MacOs.
Your are enforced to buy an update at 72% of the cost of the new version in order to keep Parallels running.

Worst-case you bought Parallels just before the newer version is released which means that you have to buy again an update for 49$ after one year.
You should know, that you buy more an subscription off Parallels for 1-2 years !
Looking at this, running your Windows programs on your Mac with Parallels can be a very expensive pleasure over the years.
Also consider VirtualBox and BootCamp, which are for free.
Hello Hans,

Customers who bought the previous version of Parallels Desktop right before Parallels Desktop 9 release are eligible for the free upgrade: http://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2013

The manufacturer commented on the review below
This product works well, although it could be a lot more straightforward and less confusing. Their migration from Windows didn't work at all for me, so I ended up installing Windows from scratch.

Note that this product does NOT protect you from Windows malware/viruses/trojans/etc. You'll still need all the protection you need with a normal installation.

The worst part is that this company has begun NOT supporting its current users. They instead charge an outrageous "upgrade" fee for the latest release. NOTE: Each release is essentially just like the last, but with minor tweaks. For example, with Mavericks, a very minor change in Parallels would let old releases work with it. But instead of providing the minor changes, they extort $50 from each user for an "upgrade" they neither need nor want.

At first I bought Parallels because it looked easier to use than Oracle's 100% Free Virtual Box software. BUYER BEWARE. Parallels may be a little easier up front, but in the long run you'll spend just as much time tweaking and upgrading.

I've learned my lesson, and won't be held hostage in the future. Goodbye Parallels!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hello,
We are sorry to hear your migration did not work as expected. Parallels Support Team is available 24x7 and will be glad to complete the migration for you:
You can consider any virtual machine as a PC in terms of the virus protection - both Windows PCs and Virtual Machines require antiviruses to be completely safe.
Parallels Desktop upgrades are not mandatory and the previous version of Parallels Desktop for Mac runs on Mavericks.
Please contact our Support Team for help and we will be happy to help to tune your Parallels Desktop installation.

Thanks, Parallels Team
on October 27, 2013
I have been a long time user of Parallels and when Mac upgrades you can count on being thrown under the bus by Parallels! They want $50 for the upgrade when many of their customers just bought parallels in the last year. If you have 7 (WHICH IS STILL BEING SOLD HERE ON AMAZON!!!!) - this time you are completely out of luck! It does not matter if you bought it last week! TOO BAD!!! So when Apple upgrades again (which is free) Parallels will want another $50 Bucks! Try VirtualBox! It is free! If you are like me and only need windows once in a while you get tired of being taken advantage of. I am not stuck like some. I have purchased Office and Photoshop for Mac and will no longer need to be gouged by Parallels... I spent more money but will never have this problem again. Stay away unless you want to keep paying over and over! I would also like to add that I am wondering why so many of the new 5 star ratings are by people who have not rated anything else on amazon? That seems curious to me?

on October 24, 2013
Upgrade pricing is expensive and there is no notable changes between versions. Mavericks should be supported on 2 year old software!
Hello Peter,

on November 21, 2013
I have used Parallels for quite a few years, starting with when I converted to Macs in 2007. I had version 7 and re-installed it on my MacBook Pro earlier this year. When version 9 came out, and Mavericks was impending, I started getting the upgrade emails. So, I decided it was time to upgrade. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!

Everything now runs at a snails pace, including my Mac. Windows programs on WinXP are horribly slow, even when I'm running just Internet Explorer. And forget keeping it running in the background because it slows down my Mac so much. So now I have to start it up, run whatever I need to in Windows, then shut down Windows and Parallels, and reboot my Mac to get the performance back. I do website development, so one thing I need to do regularly is hop onto Windows to check sites in IE. Can't do that anymore, which is a MAJOR inconvenience.

And forget their tech support. I tried contacting them through their website and they completely prevented me from doing so.

I will NEVER buy Parallels again and urge everyone to try an alternative. ANY alternative would be better.

UPDATE 9 DEC. 2013: I downloaded an update/fix for the program and it has improved the performance somewhat, but not enough. It still slows down my MacBook Pro too much. My MBP has 8GB RAM, of which I allot two to WinXP in the virtual machine, which should be plenty considering I mostly just run Internet Explorer.

As you can see below, Parallels commented and said it must be a "resource allocation" issue. It is not. If it can't run WinXP under my hardware configuration it's a problem they need to fix. More evidence of their useless customer service.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Hello,
We are sorry to hear your virtual machine works slow on the latest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
Most probably, this is the resources allocation issue and Parallels Support (which is available 24x7) will be happy to help you by phone, chat or email:
Alternatively you can email us at social@support.parallels.com