5.0 out of 5 stars Parallels Desktop 6 - A Solid and Mature Release
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:41 Mins
Published on September 14, 2010 by Skeeter Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst upgrade and tech support!
Being a previous user or Parallels version 1-5, I thought it was a no-brainer to upgrade to Version 6. Boy was I wrong!!
I'm still running Windows XP, which they say they still support fully. I followed their directions to a T to do the upgrade from version 5 to 6.
Published on September 30, 2010 by T. Darin

5.0 out of 5 stars Parallels Desktop 6 - A Solid and Mature Release, September 14, 2010
Skeeter Harris (Victor, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 9:41 Mins

Parallels Desktop 6 continues to improve on an already stellar product through a full 64bit implementation bringing enhanced performance, expanding PC Hardware support and simple ease of use. Parallels sets the standards for virtualization software and pushes the gap even further apart from other virtualization solutions. In this video I discuss the user interface, new features to version 6, and overall performance and perspectives on their latest version.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best for Running VM's, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
One of the benefits of running a Mac is the ability to run our favorite OS, Snow Leopard, and have the ability to run others, such as most versions of Linux (which I've tried and don't like - sorry) and really all versions of Windows. Sure, we can use Boot Camp, which has been shipping as part of the Mac OS for some time, and simply boot Windows separately; however, most of the time it may make more sense to run Windows and OS X hand in hand. Such a time can be when we have the Mac version of Adobe's CS suite, and perhaps some Mac exclusive software, but still need to work with Windows only software, such as Visio, VIsual Studio, or SQL - just to name a few.

There are a few options, with VMware and Parallels perhaps being the most popular, and I have used both. VMware was my favorite since the first version, and I have had versions 2 and 3 as well. VMware does get the job done; however one day I ran into an issue. At work we use Microsoft's Virtual PC (for Windows), and having a Mac I had to move all the virtual images into my machine so I could work and explore at home or on the go. I was unable to move the images and use them with VMware, so I figured I would give Parallels a try and downloaded the trial version. Parallels was able to recognize and accept the images that had been used with VirtualPC without any issues. There were images that ranged from 15-80GB, the contained Windows XP, VIsta and 7, as well as Windows Server 2003 and 2008 R2 - each image containing different beta pre-release software, SharePoint 2007 Enterprise (MOSS), SharePoint 2003 (WSS), SSIS ad SSRS (SQL stuff) configurations (although some images were basic, just running Office or VIsual Studio). I was super excited to see Parallels accept every singe OS and configuration without issues, the only thing was that many of these virtual images asked to be reactivated or at times even for the product key; which was not a problem since I had all in hand.

Not only was Parallels able to recognize these images, but it also takes more advantage of the Mac's hardware, such as the GPU (graphics); therefore, resulting in better CPU performance - not really slowing down the virtual machine nor the native OS. There are times, such as conferences and training sessions, where I run Microsoft software natively in OS X, and although VMware was able to do this, it was rather slow.

VMwre and Parellels boh get the job done; however, if you're in the technology industry and need to move virtual images from computer to computer often, than Parallels would be the best choice. I have a Quad Core i7 iMac with 16GB of RAM, which is amazing (I can run multiple images at once); however I do use my 11" MacBook Air a lot since it's the best to carry around. As many know, the Air's hardware is limited due to it's portability, I can allocate 2-3GB to many of the virtual machines I put on it and still runs them better than my MacBook Pro (got replaced with a more powerful iMac and more portable Air) used to run with VMware. I know the solid state drive helps, but Parallels just takes so much more advantage of the hardware.

The only thing I dislike about Parallels is how it thinks for me when setting up a virtual environment. If not careful setting it up, it seems to assume that you want to share between the native and virtual OS - so it creates a local folder on the Mac. This can also result in using the wrong software at the time; for example, I was running WIndows 7 with Excel 2010 the other day. I saved and closed the file in WIndows, and when I double clicked it to reopen, it kept opening in Office 2011 on the Mac OS as opposed to WIndows; I just had to manually open Excel 2010 in Windows and locate the file which was in the WIndows OS - not bad, but annoying, and also embarrassing if you're presenting at the time and don't need to confuse the audience with Mac vs WIndows stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
I am a recent Parallels 5.0 user. I am amazed at how much better Parallels is than Vmware and have been very happy with it so far, including the speed. I used to carry around a small Dell laptop to give demos to clients but now all I need is my Mac. Very happy. But for all you Amazon shoppers, my advice is to buy 5.0 since it's so much cheaper and you get an automatic free upgrade to 6.0. It's crazy to pay full price when you can get it for less. It's even cheaper than the $49 Parallels wanted to charge my friend for an upgrade. All in all, very happy so far with 6.0 and definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Installing Windows 7 for iMac, December 23, 2010
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
Parallels Desktop 6 makes it really, really easy to install Windows on the iMac. I tried installing Windows 7 on the iMac without Parallels (using Bootcamp), and after getting the infamous black screen (indicating lack of proper drivers), struggling with how to reboot into the Mac OS without Windows starting automatically, and scheduling a call with Apple Help, I installed Parallels Desktop 6 to see if it would help. It did. I wound up uninstalling Windows and then reinstalling it with Parallels, because it makes it so easy, and it then allowed the iMac to reboot using the Mac OS and not Windows. So, if you want to install Windows on the iMac, forget Bootcamp. Just install Parallels Desktop 6, then use it to install Windows. MUCH easier, faster, and less stress!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst upgrade and tech support!, September 30, 2010
T. Darin (Los Angeles, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
As soon as the virtual machine was upgraded and Parallels Tools were installed, my mouse and keyboard stopped working.
Being an IT professional, I thought I could fix it. Wow....Not even close! After trying everything I could think of, including a Windows Repair from the boot CD, nothing would make it work. So, i called "tech support." Yes, I put that in quotes because their tech support is just plain awful! First, you have to create a case, then wait on hold for 30-40 minutes. Once your call has been routed to Bangkok, you get the privilege of talking to someone who barely speaks English. This is Tier 1 support. After going through his checklist of items, none of which I could do since I couldn't navigate in Windows, the guy ends up hanging up on me! So I called back. After another 45 minutes, the Tier 1 guy said he would transfer me to Tier 2. That transfer resulted in another hangup. Call #3, and 40 minutes later, I get to the Tier 1 department and immediately ask to be transferred to Tier 2. Hoping that Tier 2 would have a better grasp of the English language, the call goes through to another guy in Bangkok. I ask if they have anyone in the US and I'm told no. So we try for almost an hour to resolve the problem. I think Mr. Tier 2 had the same checklist as Mr. Tier 1. Finally, in his own language I hear him talking to someone else who then asks to do a remote session. Reluctantly, I do it and spend another 90 minutes with them trying to figure it out, which they don't. We generate a report and send it to them for their developers to look at. I'm told they will call back in 3-5 business days. 3 days later, we set up another remote session which lasted about 2 hours. Would you like to guess the results? Right, nothing! Another 4 days go by and we try a 3rd remote session. Still no luck, and i'm 2 weeks into the problem. Finally today I tell them to refund my money, which they are supposedly doing. I reverted back to Version 5 on the program and virtual machine that I luckily had Time Machine backing up and it's back to working as it should.
So, beware if you have Windows XP and expect the upgrade to go flawlessly. Their knowledge-base is filled with people that have had this problem now.

3.0 out of 5 stars After two years of using it..., January 19, 2011
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
I have been using Parallels ever since version 4 about two years ago, and this is the bottom line of my experience: it works, but it has a lot of problems. I think it might work well if you have a 3 GHz processor with 6 gig of RAM, but on my 2 GHz Mini with 2 gig and on my macBook 2.4 GHz with 2 gig Windows is just so awesomely slow that it is almost useless. I'm talking an hourglass for FIVE MINUTES! But it does work, and is certainly impressive virtual machine technology. My idea was that I could run my business-necessary Windows programs (Word, Excel) while still keeping my Macs for most stuff; without needing a Windows computer. Well, I finally had to get a dedicated Windows machine to run Office 2010 since the slowness was simply overwhelming. I kept hoping that versions 5 and 6 would increase speed, and 6 actually has run a bit faster, but it's buggy and still far slower than the simple Win 7 machine I got for less than the cost of my Mac Mini. Recently the Parallels installation on the Mini erased the Windows virtual hard drive during disk compression. Thank heaven for Time Machine is all I can say. But I had to spend a fair amount of time figuring out what happened, etc., which I have NEVER had to do with OS X. I guess the concept of using one machine for both operating systems is great but not yet fully realized. If I was starting over again I'd just get a basic Windows machine for the stuff I absolutely NEED MS software for. On the road with the MacBook I just save documents to Dropbox in RTF format and bring them into Word on the Win 7 machine back at the office. Not perfect but...

Also be warned that after the warranty period support requires payment. Their support system is not great. User forum is pretty good though; solved my disappearing virtual hard drive problem for me. Check out the forums and see the kind of problems people are having. It's a good introduction to the nitty-gritty of using the program.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Support, July 20, 2011
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
When I purchased my first Mac several years ago, I evaluated both Parallels and VMware Fusion and decided to go with Parallels. At the time, Parallels was the superior product with a good reputation and better performance.

Each successive year, the Parallels team has release a new version along with E-mail spam and in-application pop-ups advertising the release. I upgraded from Parallels 4 to 5, but didn't buy into the hype of 6. The upgrade to 5 included pieces which should have been in a patch, not a new version. Likewise, I feel that is true for 6. Once the new version is released they no longer support the prior versions (e.g. no OS X Lion support for Parallels 5 and the iPhone app, originally supporting 5, only supports Parallels 6). My suspicion is Parallels 7 will be released around November 2011.

Beware that if you buy this product, you will be pummeled, if not forced, from many aspects to upgrade to the latest version which may not offer anything worthwhile for you. This is ~$30-80 a year surcharge. Please note VMware Fusion 3 (released before Parallels 5) support OS X Lion. Buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great add-on for the iMac, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
This is a life saver. i knew that I wanted to get a new iMac and get away from the PC, but I did not know how I was going to manage my finances since all of the reviews for Quicken for the Mac basically sucks.
I purchased Parallels for the purpose of using Quicken in the Windows environment on the iMac. This has worked perfect, an the new Parallels mobile is a bonus. I can access my iMac from my iPad or iPhone from anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version yet, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
I have been using Parallels since version 4, and I'm confident in saying that this is the best Parallels yet. I've never been dissatisfied overall with any of their products although I've always had some minor complaints. In Parallels 4 if Windows was on for more than a few hours it would start lagging and you would need to restart. Also in 4 coherence mode had some problems and I had to reinstall parallels tools on a fairly regular basis to ensure I could share files between systems. Version 5 was a step up, but I think they were ironing out a lot of details which detracted from the use, for example I was not a big fan of crystal.

I've been using version 6 for a good 2 weeks (along with an OEM version of Windows 7) and have had no problems with lag, needing to reinstall parallels tools to maintain functionality, and appreciate that they have kept only the best parts of 4 and 5 and eliminated superfluous aspects of the program. Coherence mode works better now and I like how I can leave Parallels on all day and not need to restart it.

One problem that I have encountered was with the MacLook feature, and I would suggest not installing it. I didn't like how it looked or performed. The main problem came with trying to switch out of it. It took quite a while to figure out how to get rid of it. Overall a small complaint.

Overall, I would recommend this to any Mac user that might need to use Windows for certain programs. It is faster, more reliable, and looks better than any of the previous iterations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] (Software)
I just finished installing windows 7 64 bit on my 13inch MBP (2009) with parallels 6. I have to say I am really impressed. I had tried the free virtual box before and it worked but there were a lot of rough edges and most importantly the performance of my mac while running the virtual machine (note: not the performace of the virtual machine) was very bad with virtual box. With parallels 6 I can have an entire other operating system running in a second space and not even be aware of it while i'm working on my mac. I was worried I would need more than 4gb of ram. So far 4gb is working just fine.

Things Parallels 6 does well that you might not know:
-works very well with sleep. When I sleep my computer I don't have to pause, suspend or otherwise touch my virtual machine. It sleeps with everything else and starts right back without any trouble

-works with spaces. I haven't tested this extensively but I have my windows desktop set to one space and mac ox another and I can switch between the two with ease

-works well with audio - getting drivers to cooperate between your computer and virtual machine can be an issue but audio works just fine and responds to the volume controls of the mac

-multitouch trackpad works basically as expected - you can even use 3 finger swipe to go backwards in the browser without having to configure anything. Nice touch

-you can set things up so the documents folder (and other folders if you wish) are synced with your mac folder. So handling files between the two machines is pretty easy.

If you need to have windows on your mac for whatever reason this is a very good solution.

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version]
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version] by Parallels Software (Mac OS X)
Used & New from: $6.75