Published on September 4, 2012 by Mark B

3.0 out of 5 stars Work on Windows- Play on iMac
I have to use internet explorer for my business. I wanted a new iMac desktop. I love that I can run both at the same time. Coherence mode is awesome, I can have IE, Safari, Outlook, Excel, Messages, iTunes, all running at the same time all just different windows. Seamlessly. The ability to use an app on iPad, although kind of small for trade quotes.
Published 13 months ago by Andrea Knuffke-Blanco

4.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch Windows/Mac integration. Small incremental step over Parallels 7, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
I have been using Parallels for over a week now (bought it early as a current use rof Parallels 7. First, I have to say that Parallels has worked great for me. I use it at work, where it is a Windows environment but I have my own Mac machine. Parallels allows me to have complete access to my company's network and printers. Note, however, that this is all done by Parallels working through the Mac. So in order to see a printer or your network drives in Windows, you must have them set up in your Mac environment first. The Windows network environment mirrors that of the Mac. You can make you network drives show up automatically by dragging the network drive from the side pane in Finder to your Login Items list under Preferences>Users&Groups>Login Items. This is a great way to automatically log in to your drives every time you boot up. The level of access between your Mac and Windows environment is totally configurable. For example, I can open a Lotus Notes email in the Windows environment, and select to open attachments (such as Word, Excel, etc.) in the Windows or the Mac versions of those programs. I can choose to share all of my Mac user folders windows, or not. And I can move files between Mac and Windows folders. You can also choose to totally isolate your Mac computer from Windows, but you loose network, internet, and printer connectivity. Parallels has different view modes which are well-designed and seamless. Full screen mode takes advantage of Mac OS X's Desktop feature. In this mode, Windows is one of your desktops. It supports dual displays as well, which a great feature. You can fully immerse yourself in Windows in this mode. You access the Parallels tool bar by moving the mouse to the top of the screen, and you access the Mac dock by swiping to the Mac window. My other favorite mode is Coherence, where Windows programs at just like Mac. When open, the program's icon is in the dock, and you access the Windows at the top of the screen and can be accessed from the Parallels icon in the dock. What about performance? I have found that Parallels does not slow down my Mac. Windows performance is snappy overall, but can tend to get the fan on my MacBook Air (mid 2011) cranking pretty hard sometimes. Parallels allows you to configure how system resources are shared be, so you can optimize the Mac or the Windows environment. As for Parallels 8 specifically, they advertise that Windows runs faster that it did on Parallels 7. My experience has been the opposite. Windows for me boots up just a touch slower and programs are a little less responsive. Parallels 8 also adds multi-gesture support, but the gesturing, while responsive and immediate in my Mac environment, is very laggy (to the point of being unusable for me) in the Windows environment. Scrolling in Parallels 8 is also more choppy than it was in Parallels 7. However, overall, P8 feels more integrated with Mac than ever. There are a couple of new/improved features I do like, but there is not a whole lot of them. One is being able to re-launch a web page from within Safari using Internet Explorer. Parallels puts an IE button in the Safari menu bar for easy access to IE. This is helpful when a web site renders best in IE. This doesn't happen too much for me, but one of our company's customer systems will only render in IE. I can also now have IE in my Mac doc in order to launch it more easily. Windows notifications are now included in the Mac Notification Center. This is an okay feature, but Windows has been notorious about polluting my clean Mac notifications with an overabundance of Windows notices.

In summary, Parallels is a great program for those who want to be able to easily and seamlessly use Windows on their Mac. With more and more people bringing their own Macs to work and need access to Windows programs, parallels is an absolutely proven solution. I use it every day at work with a dual monitor setup, and I am easily swiping between windows and Mac apps, sharing folders, and printing form both all day. Overall, I think P7 runs faster and more smoothly, but P8 is proving to be very capable as well. Plus, P8 is necessary of you plan to be an early adopter of Windows 8.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
I switched to Mac Book Pro due to it being a very sharp computer - but I had a problem. I use Quicken and Turbo Tax. Plus being in the military reserves, all of the government web sites are geared to using Windows and Explorer. Thanks to Parallels I get the use of my financial software and access to all of the government websites seamlessly on my Mac Book!

Thanks Parallels!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome time saver, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
This products not only helps me run applications that I was used to running on my PC that I couldn't do without, but the transfer process actually installed the applications for me on the MAC so I didn't have to install them myself one-by-one. I wouldn't have believed it was that easy, but it was.

I'm still learning what I can do with Parallels, but it's been stable and very helpful. For example - Microsoft Access and OneNote both work great. There have been a few minor things I've found that wont run on a MAC (PowerPoint for example in Presenter View - where it's trying to show one thing on your desktop monitor and another thing on the projector or second monitor), but these had very specific operating system calls I suspect and there are Apple equivalents.

Overall - I'm extremely happy with the product, and am still learning. Spend the extra $ for the transfer from your PC - it's a huge time saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
I love this product! Its makes it so easy to switch between mac and windows! I have had other products, but none of them make it as easy as Parallels does. They keep the product updated, add new features, and mostly take care of their client. I could not ask for a better product!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" for Mac users, September 24, 2012
JAA (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
Excellent application for Mac users who must also work with PC-based files. The Mac OS IS NOT for those of us who work in a business world dominated by the PC platform. Parallels makes it possible to bring my (PC-based) office documents home to continue working on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it when things work as advertised., March 14, 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
I first migrated my old Windows XP platform to my Macbook. Not a single problem and everything worked as advertised. I then upgraded to Windows 8 on my Parallels partition. Things are working fine. I can't say the same for Windows 8. I wish I never upgraded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
If you want to run Windows on a Mac than this is the program to get!! Works like charm and allows me the best of both worlds. Not sure Why I never did this before.... I run work programs in Windows on a large external monitor and run Mac OS on my laptop. Utilizing a Macbook Pro 13in. to make all of this happen. I highly recommend!!! Transfer of all Windows from PC to Mac utilizing Parallels cable and program took 3hrs to complete but it was worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Product, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
Second time buying a Parallels product and continued satisfaction. I'd not hesitate to recommend Parallels to anyone wanting/needing to run Windows on MacOS to support their applications needs. Plenty of options on how things work and look, too. This "switch to Mac Edition" made moving Windows images from another machine a snap using the included cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
Parallels makes it so easy to switch from MAC to Windows on the programs that require Windows. I can move from one to the other quickly and smoothly. It's like having your cake and eat it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars worked perfectly, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition (CD-ROM)
It was my first time to use it, pulled everything across and ran windows only apps on my mac mini.

Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition
Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition by Parallels Software (Mac)
Used & New from: $33.99