Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 26, 2013
I ran across this book while I was searching the internet for information on Locked-In Syndrome (LIS). My husband suffered a brain stem stroke and now suffers from LIS. This book gave a very accurate account of what life is like with LIS, but also offers hope and encouragement to patients and families coping with LIS. Kate's miraculous recovery is detailed within the pages, supplemented by her wonderfully supportive husband's side of the recovery process.

This book inspires anyone who reads it, not just those affected by LIS. After purchasing the Kindle version for myself, I've also purchased a couple paperback versions to give to friends. It challenges the readers to look past whatever is holding them back and focus on their goals. I highly recommend this book to anyone.
on January 7, 2013
My best-friends sister has recently suffered a stroke just like Kate had! It was very powerful and emotional getting an inside perspective into the hell that is caused by a brainstem stroke! Couldn't put it down! Loved from The other Side of the bed! Getting hers and her husbands perspective was amazing! Thank You for Sharing with us Kate! I am forever changed by your strengths and ability to persevere!
on May 20, 2007
ANY HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL WOULD BENEFIT FROM READING THIS BOOK.
WHAT AN INSPIRING STORY! KATE'S STORY WOULD TRULY BE INSPIRING FOR ANYONE TO READ.
VERY WELL WRITTEN. IT WAS NICE TO HEAR KATE'S EXPERIENCE AND, HER HUSBAND ALSO SPEAKING OF HIS EXPERIENCE. WHAT A GREAT ADVOCATE HE WAS FOR HER. HAVING A NEUROLOGIST SPEAK THROUGHOUT THE BOOK TO EXPLAIN WHAT KATE WAS GOING THROUGH WAS A GREAT PART OF THIS BOOK TOO!
IF YOU LIKED KATE'S FIRST BOOK, YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK.
THIS BOOK WOULD HELP FAMILY MEMBERS CARING FOR THEIR LOVED ONES.
KATE IS AN AMAZING WOMAN WHO WILL SHOW ANYONE THAT WE ARE ABLE TO OVERCOME OUR OBSTACLES WITH THE "POWER OF OUR HUMAN SPIRIT". AS KATE MENTIONS "FOCUS ON WHAT WE CAN DO AND NOT WHAT WE CANNOT DO."
KATES COURAGE AND DETERMINATION ARE A LESSON TO ALL!
on March 25, 2011
THis book is very well written and gives hope to those, not only who have had a sroke, but to those who are suffering.
How I found this book was to google, "coping with severe adversity" and this was the one that popped up!
It is a rivetting read and highlights the importance of believing and sticking to one's beliefs.
A must. Well done Kate!
on October 7, 2012
I just purchased Kate's Paralyzed But not Powerless book on Kindle a few days ago and couldn't hardly put it down until I had finished. I had found Kate's web page on one of my lowest days a few months after my stroke ten years ago, and she was such an inspiration for my attitude to go on trying. I decided if Kate could do it then I needed to quit feeling sorry for myself and concentrate,as Kate said, on what I could do and not on what I couldn't do, and helping others as well. In her book I could relate so well to the terminology, therapy, feelings, determination, even how she felt about her husband and going home after rehab. I too had a wonderful husband that didn't get near enough credit, as well as a ton of supporting friends from church and community. I had to put the book down sometime and just step away as the memories came flooding back. It makes me so thankful to think of where I was and where I am ten years later! If you know anyone that's had a stroke or a life altering situation of any sort, I would highly recommend Kate's Journey to them. I actually told some friends about the book and one wrote down the name and author. She said she had to have it!
on March 14, 2013
Kate's determination and faith as well as her husband's refusal to give up despite the odds and problems with our insurance system allowed a miracle to unfold. I enjoyed reading Kate's story again. It is a fast read with her struggles, tears and joy of her roller coaster of recovery. Kate's advocacy and assistance of stroke survivors is compelling of her giving back for her gift of life. She focuses on what she can do, remaining positive.
on February 10, 2010
My sister had a stroke several years ago and I have been trying to read as much as I can the is written by people who have had the strokes to understand from their perspective what goes on in their mind and how they approach recovery and therapy. This is the third book and is excellent. There are more "scientific, medical books and articles" but down to Earth, "here's how I felt", "here is how I worked on therapy and what kind helped", "how people related to me", how people don't understand what a stroke really is and how it changes a person's personality and actions, and that we must understand as family and friends that some of the "unusual or negative things" are not that person of old, but the new person whose brain has changed- perhaps for a while.
on July 10, 2009
Walking is something so many take for granted, but one can meet life's challenges without it. "Paralyzed But Not Powerless" is the inspiring memoir of a woman with paralysis, and the strength she finds in her life. With extra insight from the famous neurologist Jeffrey Saver, and legal insight that those paralyzed need to know, "Paralyzed but Not Powerless" is something that all stroke or paralysis sufferers should look to as they seek to overcome the difficulties of life.
on February 16, 2008
Kate Adamson's "Paralyzed but Not Powerless" truly inspired me. Her story is a riveting example of just what's possible with perseverance and belief. I give this book my highest recommendation. Read it and you'll be glad you did.
on June 13, 2012
I purchased this book after hearing the speaker tell part of her story. She is motivational. Her husband's commentary also makes this a worthwhile book to read.