4.0 out of 5 stars Still Surviving...
Published on October 3, 2006 by A. Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good release, but not on par with earlier stuff
Published on August 2, 2007 by Lukas J. Running

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Surviving..., October 3, 2006
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
If there's one thing I can always say about Papa Roach is that they never get boring. Each album they have released to date has shown the band maturing and trying out a new style. On their fourth major release, "The Paramour Sessions," Papa Roach carry on that tradition. With "Getting Away With Murder" producer Howard Benson returning, Papa Roach sound bound and determined to continue the momentum they regained in 2004. And it works really well.

Sounds like: Poppy Roach

The Good:
- The album was produced and released in a rather speedy manner.
- Plenty of diversity between songs.
- Improved songwriting by frontman Jacoby Shaddix.

The Bad:
- Lots of radio-ready material, not enough of the harder-edged side of the band.
- Songs such as "Crash" and "Alive (N' Out Of Control)" come across as "Getting Away With Murder" b-sides.

Hits: "...To Be Loved," "I Devise My Own Demise," "The World Around You," "Roses On My Grave" and "Time Is Running Out" -- which is, in my opinion, the best song they're written to date.

Misses: "What Do You Do," which is too cliche and predictable to be true.

Future: Papa Roach have always had a complicated career. Their first album was a success, while the second one bombed. Their last one did rather well, and since this has a similar feel to it, I'm sure it'll do rather well. However, it will definitely turn away many narrow-minded, older fans.

Personally: It's not the strongest Papa Roach album, but they're still doing damn well. I've found this album to be quite addicting and cannot get enough of "The World Around You" and "Time Is Running Out."

Best Listened To When: It's 6:00 am and you're really tired and on your way to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars "We never fell in love, we only fell apart...", September 19, 2006
Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
Papa Roach is a band that has done nothing but evolve since their first album. Sadly, this means they've lost some fans along the way, but the upside is the music keeps improving with each album release. While I was--and still am--a big fan of "Infest," I think the band really started to shine when the lead singer stopped rapping and started singing more. Each album has been a notch-up, and "The Paramour Sessions" is no exception.

This album is much darker and sometimes even more hauntingly mellow than past releases. Though the themes haven't changed much (love, hate, heartbreak, alcohol abuse), the delivery of the songs have. The band has really stepped up and matured, and you can tell that from the lyrics and the music. They're not afraid to speed it up, and they're also not afraid to slow it down when need be. On "The Paramour Sessions," the lead singer, Jacoby Shaddix, has increased his range and power, giving each of the songs that extra kick it needs to be perfect.

Another thing about this new album is it does take a couple listens to really lose yourself in it, and that's not a bad thing. In fact, it's rare that an album can sound better with each listen, it's usually vice-versa. It's an album you'll want to listen to in order from start to finish, as it seems like one complete piece. It just sounds better hearing it all in the presented order that is given.

I love the entire album, but my standout favorites are "..to be loved," "alive ('n out of control)," "crash," "the world around you," "i devise my own demise," "my heart is a fist," "no more secrets," and "reckless." The music sounds fantastic and the lyrics do more than just simply flow with the songs--they get into your head, to the point where you find yourself repeating lines at random over and over again.

Will all Papa Roach fans enjoy the new album? Probably not. Like I said, the band keeps evolving and that means losing some people sometimes. This is not the band of the "Infest" days. I think they've become something a whole lot more impressive and devastating. It's something you'll just have to hear for yourself, and do yourself a favor and listen to it a couple of times before you make a verdict. I think in time this album will grow and more people will discover it and fall in love with it. "The Paramour Sessions" is a complete victory for the members of Papa Roach. I hope they continue to evolve and impress for many more years and many more albums. -Michael Crane

5.0 out of 5 stars shocked by this record, September 15, 2006
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
honestly, i didnt even want to buy this record after Getting Away With Murder. The only song on the last record that really did anything for me was The Title Track. The album came out, and I went to the store and decided not to get it. Then the next day I listened to the song "Want to be Loved" and though, **** it, and went out and bought the record, and I am soooo glad that I did. Every song on this record grabbed me and just shocked me. I listened to every song on this record and when it was done, it wasnt enough, so I restarted the record and kept doing that all night and the next day, and Im sure when Im done with this review I'll go and listen to it once again.

Everybody that keeps on saying "This Record isnt anything special" "Its just like GAWM" blah blah blah, I really hope your joking. Did you even listen to the last three tracks? When I heard the last two tracks, I couldnt even believe it was Papa Roach. Track 12 is like a freaking surf song and the last track is all orcastra music until the end when the band explodes in.

Stand out Tracks:

Want to be Loved (great opening track)

Crash (awesome drums, I heard it was the next single and think it should be)

World Around you (sweet guitar, awesome song, could be a good single)

I Devise My Own Demise (his voice is amazing in this song)

Fire (the surf sounding song....awesome guitars, sweet percussion, and all in all, a great song)

Roses on my grave (this song will shock you, thats all i can say)

To end this, if you are looking for Infest in this record, guitar-wise you will find it. If you are looking for LoveHateTragedy, lyric-wise, its here. If you are looking for Getting Away with Murder, singing-wise, its here.

And if you are looking for something totally new from papa roach, you will totally find that here. Check out this record, if you love papa roach and like me have a very open mind towards things, you'll love this record.

peace!

5.0 out of 5 stars the Roach evolves once again..., September 30, 2006
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
Anyone who has been listening to the radio for the past 6 years has probably heard one or more singles from each of the Papa Roach releases. Therefore, most people should know that they are constantly evolving. With 'The Paramour Sessions', Papa Roach strikes again with a new, fresh sound. The album returns the dark feel of their major label debut,'Infest', and fuses it with melodies stonger than those on the previous discs. Although some complain that the album slows down towards the middle and end of the CD, it does it flawlessly. The album starts out with a bang and seamlessly finds its way through powerfully thoughtful tracks such as "Forever", a dark ballad("My Heart is a Fist"), and even a radio friendly anthem("Time is Running Out"). 'Paramour Sessions' does have more slow songs than their previous albums, but they are placed strategically, making it nearly impossible to skip them. The first time you listen to this CD, some material may seem too radio friendly and you may not like it...However, listen to the disc as a whole a few times and you will not listen to any other CD for at least a week!

1. ...To Be Loved- The first single (of many i'm sure),up-beat, impossible to not sing along, one of my favorites on the cd.

2. Alive (N' Out of Control)- My favorite song on the cd,probably the heaviest song I've heard by them

3. Crash- Another of my favorites on the cd,heavy yet catchy

4. World Around You- Great song, makes you think...

5. Forever- The first of the slower songs, definatly a future single, cool vocals that are impossible to not attempt immitating.

6. I Devise My Own Devise- Awesome rock track, catchy and upbeat

7. Time is Running Out- At first listen, this track may make you cringe at its poppiness, but after a few spins its one of the albums highlights. screams radio play!

8. What Do You Do?- Personally, my least favorite track on the CD. It's still a well written slow track though.

9. My Heart is a Fist- Amazing, slow yet heavy and angry. Another song hard to not sing along to.

10. No More Secrets- Another stand out rock song...brings the tempo back up

11. Reckless- slower but with an attitude, with lyrics like "I'm a reckless...goddamn son of a bitch" every guy can relate

12. Fire- starts slower but turns into a rockin' track with an awesome guitar riff...

13. Roses On My Grave- An amazing close to the album. As powerful as it is catchy

14.(BONUS TRACK)SOS- available if you buy it through BESTBUY... awesome rock track-icing on the cake (too bad it comes edited)

4.0 out of 5 stars "My heart is a fist drenched in blood.", April 18, 2007
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
I don't think Papa Roach is that good, but they're really not bad either. I've never been that critical of rock as long as it's entertaining to listen to and has some catchy hooks, which Paramour Sessions does. The band has long since steered away from rap and is now pretty standard hard rock. Nothing they do is really extraordinary, but they're quite capable of radio-friendly noise.

The single "...To Be Loved" is a pretty solid fast-paced jam. "The World Around You" has a nice guitar line in the verse and a hard chorus. "Forever" is one of the band's better slower songs, and is matched with an anthemic refrain. "Time Is Running Out" kind of sounds like a pop punk song, and is fun to listen to. "My Heart Is a Fist" is one of the more hardcore songs on the album, and "Roses On My Grave" is a departure with a string section, and is a nice way to end it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good release, but not on par with earlier stuff, August 2, 2007
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
I would say this is their third best cd. Getting Away With Murder, Infest, Paramour Sessions, and Lovehatetragedy: in that order. I've never been a huge fan of them, but they are an above average hard rock band that writes some catchy tunes. For me, it has always been hit or miss with their songs. On this one, it is about 50/50 on hits and misses. Still, if half the songs are good, that is reason enough for me to buy a cd. And maybe the others will grow on me. For those of you who liked Infest and maybe haven't checked these guys out for awhile, they aren't exactly the same band. They have lost that rap-rock vibe they had, and adopted a cleaner hard rock approach, as have many other bands of the nu-metal era. Hit songs: "to be loved" and "Forever" are included on this cd.
3.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best work yet, October 11, 2006
jeznicole (Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
Personally my favorite Papa Roach album. The songs on this album are emotionally charged and make you move. ..To be Loved, Alive, I Devise my Own Demise, and Crash make you move while My Heart is a Fist, Roses on My Grave, and Time is Running Out are more emotional. My favorite on the album is Roses on my Grave with it's mix of orchestra music and intensity. I can't listen to this CD without singing along with everything I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars best album I've purchase in 2006, October 18, 2006
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
This album is AWESOME....This is one of the few cd's where I can listen to every track on the album...I love every song on the album....If you don't have this album, you must get it.....If you don't like ROCK, you will, after listening to this album....This is a must have.....TWO THUMBS UP...

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Near Perfect Comeback!, October 21, 2006
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
And I don't say that loosely, either. Papa Roach's 4th offering for us entitled "The Paramour Sessions" just may be one of the best 2006 comebacks for a band, thus far. Dare I say, even better than the comeback, of Evanescence?

Strangely enough, it's true! If you liked "Love Hate Tragedy", or "Getting Away With Murder" (mostly LHT), then you're absolutely going to love "The Paramour Sessions". It even has it's "Infest" moments as well.

Firstly, I must say that this Papa Roach album marks the very first time i've ever seen Jacoby Shaddox so vast with his vocals. And it seriously does the cd, well! At times it seems weird to hear him singing the ways he dares to sing, on this album. But every risk taken was def. much worth the final product in the end.

The only complaint I have about TPS, is that it doesn't have enough of that "Infest" feel to it. Which only really shows within the 1st two tracks. Although, those aren't nearly as great as some of the other tracks on the album.

Here are some of the best tracks:

[To Be Loved]

Great song. Great single. But please tell me...why did they have to re-use the riffs of "Getting Away With Murder?" And furthermore, haven't I heard that same riff in a Korn song, before? "Here To Stay" maybe? (Perhaps it should be called "Getting Away With Copyright Infringment". Lmao.) Reguardless of the fact tht the riffs are infact re-hashed a bit, the song is overall cool.

[The World Around You]

The first song that REALLY stood out to me. It's got a really catchy chorus, and extremely deep and beautiful sounding verses. Def. one of the better songs on the album, with some really great lyrics!

[Forever]

An extremely deep and meaningful song. I don't really dig the "spanish" feel to the song's background instrumentals. But the chorus, while simple and to the point, is captivating (and addicting). And the verse lyrics and melodies are absolutely amazing, and deep.

[I Devise My Own Demise]

Very powerful song. Extremely addicting melodies, and once again, meaningful lyrics.

[What Do You Do]

Easily the best song on the album, hands down. This song (to me) has the deepest lyrics and meaning of themall. The instrumentals fit the mood. The melodies are dark and catchy. And the lyrics are beautiful, blunt, and tear-beckoning. Again. Easily the best song on the album! Listen to it, and you'll def. see why.

[No More Secrets]

Papa Roach now sounding seriously like Billy Talent, during the chorus. That set aside, this is a very upbeat song, and after hearing it, you'll understand why I say that Papa Roach sound seriously like Billy Talent with this one. Especially during the chorus. It's a good song, but it'll take some getting used to.

[Reckless]

...This song is so emo, that i'm sad to say it's good. Jacoby has a wide range of vocal abilities on this song, and it's magnificent. During the (extremely melodic) chorus, his vocals get extremely high, and all I can think of is the song "Hate Me" by Blue October after hearing it. The lyrics are very "emo" in a sense of the fact that the song is about being "reckless" and wanting to be helped. It sounds like a dangerflag because I said "emo", I know. But the song is actually good! Give it a listen.

[Roses On My Grave]

You'll have to get used to this one before you really actually like it. If you dug the fact that Jonathan Davis concluded his last Korn CD (See You On The Other Side) with a song (Tearjerker) that ended much like this one, you might come down less hard, on this track. But if you've never heard that track, then you might want to give this song quite a few listenings to, before you judge it. Much like the aforementioned Korn song, the song doesn't really even have a beat to it, till nearly the end of the song. But on the plus side, it's not repetative and boring, like "Tearjerker" is. It's just similiarly slow, and doesn't really pick up a beat, untill the end. It's good. But you'll need to let it grow on you.

So overall, i'm satisfied with my purchase of the new Papa Roach album, "The Paramour Sessions". It's no "Infest", but it def. outweighs "Getting Away With Murder", in terms of replay value. And is probably neck and neck, when it comes to enjoyability, when matched with "Love Hate Tragedy".

The album wasn't perfect, because it sadly didn't have enough raw-edge to it, like "Infest" did. But this def. is not a bad return for Papa Roach.

I give "The Paramour Sessions" 4/5 stars.

It aint perfect.
But it's damn near perfect.

Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Evolution, December 12, 2006
This review is from: Paramour Sessions (Audio CD)
Those guys are getting cooler and cooler...this is not a way to catch the main stream, that is evolution...loved the way they are moving to a more hard rock style, with such maturity!

Paramour Sessions
Paramour Sessions by Papa Roach (Audio CD - 2006)