4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!
I have to admit, I'm a big fan of the PA franchise. I had never seen this one before buying it, and I have to say it wasn't bad. Actually, it was pretty good.

Published 19 months ago by Paul Juliano

2.0 out of 5 stars They forgot to make this one scary
A big fan of this series (my name even gets a fan credit in #1!), I thought the trailer for PA4 was awful. And the "viral campaign" never took off like it did for #2 and #3. It was as if even those involved simply weren't very committed/interested in the film they were making.

Published 23 months ago by Derek Jager

2.0 out of 5 stars They forgot to make this one scary, October 26, 2012

The reviews were ALL tepid--even those that sort of praised it--and word of mouth was dismal. The "actual people watching the film" TV ad was so over-the-top, it became a joke.

And then the film itself was a mess. Why have the wink-wink "in jokes" of the kid riding the bike like THE SHINING? It takes us "out" of the movie we're watching...and ads zero to the film. Same with the first
fake" drag scene of the girl. Again, why remind us that we're watching a movie, why take us out of the experience?

And NOTHING happens for so long into this movie, it's just people talking and talking and talking. The few little scares are already shown in the trailer, which they have done before...but those are the ONLY scares! So we are not surprised.

And it's clear that the writers/directors had no real ideas of what Toby was to do this time. In other words, WHY does he levitate the girl? If the goal is to kill everyone, that just do it. The levitation scene is simply to impress US, the viewers. But we've seen that before, in a dozen films...and in the trailer! So there is no shock or surprise. And why bounce the ball down the stairs? And why is there scene after scene in the dark with the xBox? Toby is "better" than moving some dots around but they feature that xBox feature into the ground.

Finally, the ending (no spoiler, if you've seen PA3)...is the SAME ending as PA3. We learn nothing. In fact, you can remove PA4 and you've learned NOTHING. When PA5 comes out, hopefully the filmmakers have learned from the dismal box office, word of mouth and reviews for PA4 to PUT THE SCARES BACK IN. And have a REASON for the film.

All the above being said, I WILL buy PA4 and here's why: I wasn't that impressed with PA3 in the theater but the extra footage--not much, just a few scenes of Toby messing with the girls more--made for a MUCH more "sinister" film. Not sure why they were cut from the film, but they really add to PA3. Same with PA2--and maybe these movies are just better seen at home.

So, here's hoping that PA5 will really deliver. They know what a mess PA4 was, so let's hope they have learned their lessons.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Weakest Entry Yet, October 20, 2012
Paranormal Activity has become the "Police Academy" of horror films, with a sequel each year targeted at a particular type of audience, with a similar plot and familiar characters each time out. This year, the pickings are very slim, as this is by far the worst film of the four. Scares are few and far between, the acting is terrible, and the film is ALMOST IDENTICAL to Paranormal Activity 2, with the same exact ending as Paranormal 3.

With a budget this big and a devoted audience, it is an insult to the integrity and to the intelligence of the loyal fans to put out a lackluster film such as this. They have obviously run out of ideas and are already rehashing the same scenes over and over again. Unless you are a huge fan of the franchise, don't seethis film. Not only are the first three better, but they are almost identical.

1.0 out of 5 stars Public Service Message, May 14, 2014
DO NOT WATCH THIS!
It is so incredibly boring that you may die from the extreme boredom. Paranormal Activity is horrible franchise. It started off fair and just keeps declining into the dismal abyss of bad. The only terrifying thing about the movie, is the thoughts of suicide that runs through your head trying to escape from long drawn out scenes of web chats and other pointless scenes where absolutely NOTHING happens. Seriously... having someone read tax codes for two hours would be more scary and entertaining this this snooze-fest of a movie. The director could have saved a lot of money by licensing random teenagers video blogs on You-Tube and just played random 2 minute clips for two hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!, February 5, 2013
Paul Juliano (Waltham, MA United States) - See all my reviews

At first my wife and I were afraid that it was going to be an unbearable teenage romance, but it wasn't. It was actually really well done, and there were some genuinely creepy moments. There are a lot less of the startle scares that the other PAs are known for but that's fine. This one was just creepy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, June 10, 2013
I've seen all the PA movies and this had absolutely nothing new to offer. All the same scary effects each movie has done before and the story line was boring. By far the worst of the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have stopped at Trilogy, February 8, 2013
I really like the PA Trilogy, especially 1 and 3.
This one...not so much.
It provided zero substance to the ongoing story and it wasn't even scary.
At some parts, I was hoping that someone would get killed in the movie.

Another very distracting thing was the teenagers.
It may be just me getting old but the teens cursed waaaay to much, to the point that it was a distraction in the movie.

By now we know the formula, night falls, scary low frequency sound, and then a boom (sometimes followed by a s scream).

If I were you, I would stop with 3....I wish I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars This film is retarded, October 25, 2013
I really wish I could take back the 90 minutes of my life that were lost when I watched this piece of crap movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but expected better, April 16, 2014
Felt the beginning dragged out a bit. Nothing serious happens until towards the end. The kid situation was very predictable

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time., April 13, 2014
I'm not a huge proponent of the Paranormal Activity movies, but I will say this: usually, they manage to work around the fact that they're found footage films and turn out okay. They completely and utterly failed this time. They tried some new things, and it was nice to see, but absolutely nothing happened in this movie until the lead-in to the climax. Normally the demon does interesting things to screw with the people in the household, but not this time. Additionally, this movie made me think about the larger overarching story for this series, which is a MESS, in no small part because this movie happened.

Even if you do like the Paranormal Activity movies, I'd avoid this. It's not good.

2.0 out of 5 stars It gets a star for the teenagers, January 26, 2014
I'm proud to admit that I really like the first two Paranormal Activity movies and even give the third one a solid "Ok". Paranormal Activity have, admittedly, always operated on a slim premise and here the movie leans a little to hard on the franchise's laurels.
This installment just doesn't have the creepiness and relies too much on jump scares; two are pretty effective, the rest run-of-the-mill.

To it's credit, PA4 focuses on teenagers in way that comes off as surprisingly genuine. Maybe it makes more sense to see teenagers babbling on video chat and recording themselves than buying adults tolerating a camera jammed in their faces 24/7. It just works and it's too bad there aren't any scares to match this honesty.

Paranormal Activity 4 - Rated