on February 10, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I have read a few of Dr. Moody's books and was eager to read this one when it was released. What a life he has lead in pursuit of answers to life after death! And in this book he mentions something I had never heard of - shared near death experiences! Relatives who have gathered around the deathbed of a loved one and experienced another dimension much like the one who is passing experiences. It kind of puts the kabash on those who say it's a lack of oxygen in the brain or some kind of chemical reaction in the brain at the time of death. Not so if the relatives are experiencing similar things at the same time! I took care of my 85 year old Mom when she was bed bound and watched her reach up as if to hug someone above her. She would turn her head, smile, and say "Daddy!". I am certain that there is another dimension that we pass over to and it is a comforting thought! And I'm glad Dr. Moody finally got the thyroid diagnosis he needed, even though late in his life! There is just so much we still don't know, but thank goodness for researchers like Dr. Moody who keep pursuing the truth!
on February 17, 2012
Format: Paperback
Raymond Moody' can legitimately claim to be father of the Near Death Experience movement, coining the phrase in his seminal work Life After Life (more than ten million copies sold). In Paranormal, Dr. Moody (with the help of Paul Perry) tells the story of his interesting life. Raised during the Forties in Georgia, by an abusive father and depressive mom, he first showed an interest in death at age four. He later became "hooked on death" and devoted himself to research on spiritual events such as out of body and near-death experiences. He also got involved with past-life therapy. Moody recounts his own past lives, such as a hunter of mammoths, a murder victim, and asian artist.

Moody is candid about his struggles, including a suicide attempt. Later he discovered it was caused by a thyroid condition which leads to depression. Now in his sixties, Moody continues his research bringing his strong mind to this important research. I'm confident anyone interested in Near Death and after-life experiences will find this memoir an absorbing read.

If you like this book, other books you might like that I've read and recommend: Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind which takes some focus, but will be of interest to those with a scientific bent) and I Walked to the Moon and Almost Everybody Waved: The Curiously Inspiring Adventures of a Free Spirit Who Changed Lives; somewhat the opposite. Great stories and moving account someone devoting themselves to a life of love/spirit.
on March 15, 2012
Format: Paperback
Paranormal: My Life in Pursuit of the Afterlife by Raymond Moody and Paul Perry is the story of Raymond Moody's lifelong journey into the paranormal. This is the man who coined the term "near death experience" and his life is without a doubt, highly interesting.

This is an exceptional read for anyone interested in the paranormal, especially concerning "near death experiences" and past lives. Even though it doesn't go into too much detail about either subject (he has other books for that), enough is given for anyone to grasp the ideas if they haven't learned much about them.

The journey Moody takes us on in this book is on his own life. He describes how he was raised as a boy and shows how that influenced his beliefs as an adult. As a young adult, he was interested in philosophy and astronomy, and eventually became interested in medicine as well. The paranormal field has been improved greatly thanks to this interest because he was able to link together the phenomena of "near death experiences" into something that happens to people when they have a near death experience. Catchy phrase, huh?

I especially enjoyed reading the parts of the book about past lives. This book is about Moody's journey, so naturally he also described some of his past lives that he has delved into from hypnotic regressions. Most people just have "ordinary" past lives, and as he puts it, we can't all be Cleopatra or Napoleon. His may not have been to that height, but are still quite fascinating reading about.

As someone who has read a very large amount of books on the paranormal, this is one that I really think stands out. I highly recommend it for everyone interested in the paranormal to read.

* Thank you to the publisher of Paranormal: My Life in Pursuit of the Afterlife, Harper One, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.
on April 5, 2012
Format: Paperback
I get the impression that Dr. Moody wrote this book to provide his long-time readers with a sense of closure in their relationship with him and his research. By providing autobiographical insights into his life, I better appreciate the integrity and motivations behind his life's work. To him, I would like to say "thank you" for addressing an important topic whose time has again come.

The book not only provided the historical and philosophical context within which the author entered the study of near death experiences (NDE's), but caused me a bit of pain in learning of his troubled relationship with his father, and a life-long struggle with a thyroid deficiency which disrupted his relationships, made him the victim of an unscrupulous financial manager, and took him past the brink of suicide.

As important as his studies of near death experiences and related paranormal incidents, the written review of his life is equally fascinating. For in studying his life, we might better understand both our own, and the lives of countless others. And that is truly a gift to humanity.
on April 18, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I love this man and really enjoyed reading his latest book,in fact I read it in 2 days(only coz i had to work) Dr. moody has inspired me more than most that one day I'll see my beautiful daughter again who died in a car accident 2 days before her 16th birthday.Ive read all his books along with hundreds of other researchers over the last nine years but this latest one is the only one he is candid to admit there is an afterlife tolook forward to. I was lucky to have had an o.b.e.at the age of 17 so when i read life after life after my daughter died it hit me that if i could find myself looking down at my body (thinking what am I doing here I should be down there?)Icould easily believe what these n.d.e.people were talking about. very hard to imagine if youve not been out however briefly.
on February 20, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Thank you Dr. Moody! Your work in the NDE has been remarkable. I found this book very interesting because it shows your journey from a young man with an interest in astronomy and philosophy which led you to medicine. Then as a scholar when you heard about near death experiences you were open because of your different interests and studies. I found the book revealing, thoughtful and hopeful.
on July 7, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is a broadly written autobiography. Keeping that in mind, you won't be disappointed as he skims over his major areas of research, like skipping a pebble over the surface of a lake: NDEs, reincarnation, mirror gazing to interact with dead relatives, shared-death experiences, etc. As someone who is familiar with his groundbreaking work in NDEs, I enjoyed a recounting of his life: his childhood, university years, first run-away bestseller, and research into areas I was not familiar with. I was especially touched to discover his life-long struggle with myxedema, a severe form of hypothyroidism that causes depression, weight gain, fatigue, and a cold, clammy feeling--in severe cases, madness. Even though his dad was a medical doctor, and Moody was surrounded by people in medicine, I was surprised to learn his condition went undetected for so long. It wasn't until he attempted suicide that he was finally diagnosed with myxedema. Whew.

Moody does not get into details of his personal life. We learn he married, divorced, and then re-married, but he chooses to remain mostly private in this area. A Wiki search reveals this:

"Moody was born in Porterdale, Georgia and currently lives in rural Alabama. He has been married three times. As of 2004, he is married to Cheryl and they have an adopted son, Carter, and an adopted daughter, CarolAnne. In an interview in 1993, Moody stated he was placed in a mental hospital by his family for his work with mirror gazing."

Dr. Moody states in the book that it was his physician father who put him in a mental hospital, and readers are led to believe it was because of a myxedema meltdown, which at its worst, can mask itself as insanity; the attending psychiatrist, Moody states, misdiagnosed him with a mental disorder (because of his babblings about mirror gazing and talking to dead people). Moody refused meds for anything except his thyroid.

If you like any of Dr. Moody's work, you will enjoy a general tour of his life and research up to this point.
on March 30, 2012
Format: Paperback
In this book, Raymond Moody draws from his experience in all major areas of study - near death experiences, shared death experiences, and contacting the dead. It's a engrossing all-in-one package that includes intimate details of Moody's life, including the challenges of living with myxedema which went incorrectly diagnosed for many years. Dr. Moody shares his love for Ancient Greece and provides many insights from the greats of this period and delves into what has been rediscovered about necromancy and ancient oracles. A fascinating read.
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Dr. Moody's seminal 1975 book, "Life After Life," which I read shortly after its release, was my introduction to any form of psychical research. I was completely divorced from orthodox religion at that time and needed something to believe in, and his research in the area of near-death experiences really got me to thinking that there is something more than a mechanistic world. Although I didn't begin to seriously seek spiritual enlightenment until 1988 or 1989, Dr. Moody's book remained with me as a starting point.

After thoroughly studying the evidence for survival for five years or more, I became convinced that survival is a fact, but then I began to read things by Dr. Moody suggesting that he was a fence-sitter of sorts, playing the skeptic for the scientific fundamentalists and the believer for the believers. What really bothered me is that he didn't seem to understand that there is a difference between "proof" and "evidence." Instead of saying that the evidence strongly suggests survival or just points to survival, he would say that we still don't have proof, or words to that effect. I became somewhat disenchanted with Dr. Moody. However, I started to become a fan of his again after his reading this 2010 book, "Glimpses of Eternity." After reading his latest book, which is an autobiography, I am definitely a fan again.

Although Dr. Moody still seems to struggle with the difference between evidence and proof in this book, I found it very interesting, informative, intriguing, and inspirational. There was even some humor in it, such as when his father, a physician, called an ambulance and had his son taken to a psychiatric hospital after he told his father about his experiments with a psychomanteum, an offshoot of crystal or mirror gazing, in which the individual sees and talks with spirits of the dead. "I was angry and puzzled," Moody writes. "My father was such a well respected physician in Georgia that he was able to have his son committed to an institution just because he didn't understand the research and work I had been doing and thought I was delusional."

The early chapters tell how he became interested in the study of NDEs and the various barriers he encountered in making his research known to other scientists and the public. "I had already found that people insisted on bringing the same somber demeanor to this subject as they would have while sitting in a funeral parlor waiting for service to begin," he further writes. "I didn't know whether they thought I somehow required that the subject be treated this way or if they just saw death as a somber subject. Whatever the case, since I saw the results of my research as some of the best news ever for those concerned that death was the end of all consciousness, I tried to put some levity into our conversation."

Moody tells of his attempted suicide, his own near-death experience, some past-life experiences and some very interesting shared-death experiences involving his own family. "It is through the study of shared-death experience that we may get a clearer answer to the question of what happens to our souls after death," he offers. He ends the book by addressing the question of what happens after we die with his feet planted firmly on the believer side of the fence.

Thank you, Dr. Moody, for your dedication to helping others over the years with life's most important question.
on October 18, 2012
Format: Paperback
For the first time, we get to understand how Moody began his extraordinary research and the work that would change countless lives. Had it not been for his illness and family issues, he may never have gone down this incredible road. I look forward to hearing more from him. If you have his other books, get this one too.