Customer Discussions > The Art of Fielding: A Novel forum

"Parent X" (Chapter 71)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 4:28:08 PM PDT
DS from LA says:
No spoilers here, but... who was it? It seemed like a big revelation when Affenlight figured it out, but I must have missed something.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 3:18:19 AM PDT
911gal says:
I think maybe it was one of Henry's parents? But I am only guessing at that, because Parent X did not have a student traveling with the team to South Carolina. But even if I'm right, I don't understand why that revelation was so important and meaningful to Affenlight. And if I'm wrong, I really REALLY don't understand!!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 9:46:31 AM PDT
DS from LA says:
911gal, I thought the same thing for the same reason, but agree that it didn't seem to explain Affenlight's stunned reaction (or his resulting thought that the world worked "always through particular people"), especially since Henry's parents had been largely absent since chapter 2. That's what made me think I must be wrong. I hope someone else can help clear this up.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 1:20:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 1:20:37 PM PDT
Staci126 says:
Yes, it's Henry's parents. I think Affenlight just has such a reaction because they were attempting to conceal the parents, but there is only one person who is not traveling with the team at that point, and that's Henry. So, he realizes the truth of who "told on him." Also, if you think back to the beginning, Henry's parents were so upset that Owen is gay, so then I find it even more compelling that they would be moved to mention something about Affenlight and Owen at the motel.

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 7:55:21 PM PDT
It wasn't Henry's Parents. They are in town with Sophie, who had walked from their hotel to Henry's dorm. It was David who was on his way back to Chicago after Pella has made a firm break with him. Also remember, Guert, resented David for as taking his young daughter away from him, but here is Guert now doing the same thing with a young person. In both cases the younger person had wanted sex with the older person, so Guert's Haa Haa Moment is the realization that he has been betrayed by the man who hates him. The school officials are telling half truths. It is not a parent who betrayed Guert, but it is a person who does not have a son on the team. Also, David is the only really character in the book who the reader doesn't like. David is just creepy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Art of Fielding: A Novel
The Art of Fielding: A Novel by Chad Harbach (Hardcover - September 7, 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (1,038)